• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
Fire Emblem and Link's Awakening?

2019 was good when the momentum started but I remember the first half being quite dry, first halves being dry seems to be a returning thing outside of 2017.
Fire Emblem, Link's Awakening, Astral Chain all had very high critical reception in addition to SMM2 and LM3.

Then you have less well-received but still decent stuff like MUA3 and Yoshi, the best "casual motion gimmick game" Nintendo has ever made with WoM that just keeps getting better as the time goes (I'll gladly add to it because Ring Fit Adventure is genuinely awesome), cool eShop titles like Tetris 99, Box boy and Stretchers and outside stuff published by Nintendo like DQXIS and Daemon X Machina and it was pretty great showing by Nintendo all things considered. Like, I spent a lot of money on vouchers last year.

The only problem is that it was, as you note, very backloaded, there were enough titles to fill out an entire year, but most were crammed in the second half. Also Pokemon arguably wasn't on par with the rest of marquee Switch titles in a number of ways.

2017 wins out, but its mostly due to BotW and SMO.

chrisPjelly

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Meh, it looks like they put in the absolute bare minimum for this collection. The fact that there's apparently no 60fps mode for Sunshine is disappointing. Hope they throw in some neat bts or artwork or SOMETHING that actually makes it feel like a celebration and less like something they threw together in a month.

Oct 31, 2017
64 in 720p 4:3, Sunshine in 1080p widescreen and Galaxy in dynamic 1080p.
Seriously? They aren't all just native 1080p with a 16:9 aspect ratio? That's like the barest of minimum effort for a Super Mario 3D All-Stars.

Mario is their main man. Why didn't these games get seriously upgraded? Why isn't Galaxy 2 included? (rhetorical questions cause the answers are Nintendo only has to do the bare minimum and people will pay good money regardless)

Agent Unknown

Oct 26, 2017
Sorry if this has already been asked, but is it known whether or not you can use the right stick on the Pro Controller for Galaxy's additional actions or do you have to use gyro?

Also hope there's a stealth option to map other actions to the right joycon stick in handheld mode (kind of like the hidden spin jump fix for NSMB DX).

Oct 27, 2017
Ordered my copy from Best Buy. I'm normally 100% digital now days but I feel compelled buy physical for this given Mario 64 was one of the first games I ever bought.

bastardly

Nov 8, 2017
already preordered because im a damn schmuck, but dammit why not include the 64 remaster? And no Galaxy 2? cmon man

Apr 19, 2018
So the lack of Galaxy 2 in this collection is a sore point. In a hypothetical scenario, would you forgo Mario 64 and Sunshine to get Galaxy 1 and 2 as a bundled package for the same cost of $60?

The Galaxy titles are the ones I really want, so I actually think I would.

oatmeal

Oct 30, 2017
User Warned - Lazy Dev Rhetoric
Seriously? They aren't all just native 1080p with a 16:9 aspect ratio? That's like the barest of minimum effort for a Super Mario 3D All-Stars.

Mario is their main man. Why didn't these games get seriously upgraded? Why isn't Galaxy 2 included? (rhetorical questions cause the answers are Nintendo only has to do the bare minimum and people will pay good money regardless)
Because Nintendo is lazy and anti-consumer.

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
This limited time shit is fucking bizarre no matter how I look at it.

What money is to be made with it? Any FOMO buys would be trumped by the money provided by years of evergreen sales.

Wayoshi

Oct 27, 2017
User Warned - Lazy Dev Rhetoric
I think it's as simple as Galaxy 1 had a NVIDIA Shield port they could base this release on, and Galaxy 2 has no such thing.

lazy be lazy

Splader

Feb 12, 2018
Okay I'm pretty confused here. So after march 31st they'll just stop selling the game? What's up with that?

DoubleG

Oct 29, 2017
Germany
Galaxy's secret stuff is probably more challenging than anything found in Galaxy, and the stuff in Sunshine where they deprive you of FLUDD is pretty rough, but none of them are hard as nails.
Galaxy is easy. A couple of frustrating levels due to motion controls but the rest of the game is so easy. For me, this is the easiest 3D Mario game.

64 is fine, it has challange and some obscure secrets. A little bit harder than Odyssey.

Sunshine is the hardest 3D Mario game. Very challenging, you have to really master the controls to even finish the game tbh, because some missions are hard. Others are super easy, but I would say you will die A LOT here.
Thanks guys. Can't wait to try these games.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
I think it's as simple as Galaxy 1 had a NVIDIA Shield port they could base this release on, and Galaxy 2 has no such thing.

lazy be lazy
It isn't based on the Shield "port", because that wasn't even a native port, it was emulated.

Doesn't seem like it even has the same control scheme; the pointer doesn't appear to be mapped to the right stick like in that version, just gyro in docked/tabletop and touch screen for handheld.

Mar 30, 2019
Judging from some other posts, Nintendo doesn't want to devalue their product with an oversaturation of game compilations which is why this is limited. They presumably want to re-release these games on say an N64 Classic or NSO app down the road. Which is how this should be viewed. Previous compilations (from Nintendo) fit this pattern.

Mr. Nice_Guy

Oct 27, 2017
This looks worse than the last anniversary collection. So much could have been done to make this a worthwhile collection, and it honestly feels like more work to make it this bare bones. No Galaxy 2? And a limited purchase window? Think I'll just wait for the next Kirby anniversary collection to once again be the better purchase.

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
Since I'm getting it on day 1, the limited window doesn't impact me. Otherwise it's what I expected, ports of 3 incredible games. I'm cool with this.

Mocha

Dec 9, 2017
Limited release? Huge pass, the only reason they're doing that for a cash grab and down to line re-release the game in a better quality. I'll wait there's no rush to play the same game twice since their's hundreds of other games out there.

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
So Nintendo can maximize their profits ,of course

Everyone interested in the game wont be able to buy it in a future sale 1 years from now and etc. They will have to buy it at full price in the next 6 months.

Scummy as fuck. Imagine it becoming an industry standard.
Sounds like Disney and their movie vaults.

Oct 27, 2017
Sussex, England, UK
I wonder if these titles are running on new emulators... If Super Mario Sunshine is running on a Gamecube one, perhaps the emulated behaviour does not allow the required speed for 60FPS. If a Wii emulator, then the emulation again might not allow a Gamecube game to jailbreak its limitations. I don't recall unmodified Wiis running Sunshine at 60FPS?

iamandy

Nov 6, 2017
Brasil
What makes you think you'll be able to sell it for a higher price? There is no value in the quality of this product it's ports of 3 old games. Had they been full on remasters I could agree with you but it's a lazy cash grab from Nintendo and I hope joe public votes with their wallet and not support this shyster behaviour.

It's not only about quality. It's about being a Nintendo game. People don't need a new iPhone every year, but they will buy it because of the social factor involved. Same with Nintendo games. You buy it to be part of something.

The price and games are as importante as the social aspect of buying. Maybe you are not the target customer and that's okay. But for millions of people having those games in their shelves is as important as playing them.

MrPanic

Oct 25, 2017
Man, 64 without the DS content, Galaxy 1 but no Galaxy 2, Sunshine just being Sunshine, all ports with little improvement. What a absolutely mediocre compilation. Playing Galaxy 1 is probably gonna send me straight into a depression knowing that Galaxy 2 isn't here, but I probably gonna buy this anyway because I'm weak.

Deleted member 420

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if these titles are running on new emulators... If Super Mario Sunshine is running on a Gamecube one, perhaps the emulated behaviour does not allow the required speed for 60FPS. If a Wii emulator, then the emulation again might not allow a Gamecube game to jailbreak its limitations. I don't recall unmodified Wiis running Sunshine at 60FPS?
Emulation would be really disappointing I think, for the price. Have we seen an actual Gamecube/Wii emulator from Nintendo? I kinda assumed the Wii had GC hardware in it, and the Wii U had Wii hardware, but I'm not sure. I suppose there was something made for those Nvidia Shield ports though

iamandy

Nov 6, 2017
Brasil
Man, 64 without the DS content, Galaxy 1 but no Galaxy 2, Sunshine just being Sunshine, all ports with little improvement. What a absolutely mediocre compilation. Playing Galaxy 1 is probably gonna send me straight into a depression knowing that Galaxy 2 isn't here, but I probably gonna buy this anyway because I'm weak.

It's scary how Nintendo knows its customers. And how to convert a tiny investment in huge profits.

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly the DS content isn't even that great, it can stay buried. OG Mario 64 was fine as it was and the DS version just added a lot of annoying bloat.

YolkFolk

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The North, England
For Galaxy 2, I wonder if the controls for Yoshi didn't work well enough in handheld mode without proper pointer functionality. It's one thing collecting star bits but accurate timing when platforming is another.

Deleted member 420

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No 60 fps on Sunshine is especially cheap because it was originally developed with 60 fps in mind, and runs just fine at 60 fps with the Wii's extra power:

And just to be clear, I'm not saying "lazy devs", I'm saying "cheapass executives". The business side of Nintendo has always sucked, going back to the 80s.

Are the animations sped up in this?

Manzoli

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
Yep, that's one more reason for me to postpone the Odyssey buy I've planning for a year.

Mario galaxy alone would be worth for me!

Wariobenotware

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 2, 2020
Honestly the DS content isn't even that great, it can stay buried. OG Mario 64 was fine as it was and the DS version just added a lot of annoying bloat.

Yep. I am annoyed with how little effort has gone into these ports but them ignoring the DS content was the right move. It wasn't a good remake. Full of filler bloat and it having DK64 style character swapping was really annoying.

Kschreck

Oct 27, 2017
Pennsylvania
Wasn't Super Mario Galaxy native 1080p and 60fps for $10 on those Chinese Tegra tablets 3+ years ago? Why is Switch getting a downgrade from that?

qaopjlll

Oct 27, 2017
Question for anyone who insists on calling these remasters: Do you also consider Mario 64 on Wii and Wii U Virtual Console (as well as all other N64 Virtual Console games) to be remasters? Because N64 VC games also featured increased internal rendering resolution compared to the original N64 releases, from 320x240 on N64 to 640x480 on both Wii and Wii U.

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Wait, when was this confirmed?

SM64 not being 16:9 already felt baffling with that PC port I just played, but only 720p? Like, what the fuck?
I have a feeling they haven't redone the game for the Switch and are wrapping it up in something and the engine just can't handle resolution changes. It's the only thing that would make sense for this to be at this resolution.

Handicapped Duck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
May 20, 2018
Ponds
After this, I'm now expecting bare minimum effort in the Prime Trilogy collection. The Wii version may still remain superior due to pointer controls.

Such a shame, these games deserve better. So many other franchises get great-looking remaster treatments, it hurts to see Nintendo not treat their flagship franchise the same way.

Oct 27, 2017
Sussex, England, UK
Wait, when was this confirmed?

SM64 not being 16:9 already felt baffling with that PC port I just played, but only 720p? Like, what the fuck?
Nintendo are probably unhappy with a widescreen view, given that the levels were probably designed with 4:3 in mind, and so refused to countenance changing it. Would the fact the Miyamoto was originally director of the game mean that he would have to agree this change?
If this was denied, I assume that the resolution could not be 1080p and 4:3 without stretching the action?