Vertpin

Oct 27, 2017
Is it just me or did Mario sound different in the n64 part of the trailer? Also it would have been awesome to see them remaster 64 to at least have wide screen, but that's okay. I'm just excited to have Mario 64 on the switch!

wookiee

Jul 14, 2020
Your.... other hand?? You can move with the left stick and touch the screen with the other if you need to.

It's not perfect but it's not awful 🤷‍♂️
yeah but the switch isn't weightless. It's the single worst solution they could've done. I'd literally rather use the gyro than have to hold the switch onehanded controlling mario and touching the screen to starbit goombas.

TOM 2

Oct 28, 2017
Ghost Planet Spaceship
Doom Classic on consoles are getting patch updates (today iirc) for widescreen and whatnot.

Surely, Nintendo could at least give Mario 64 a widescreen patch, no? It seems like such a given to leave out.

Mad_Rhetoric

Banned
May 7, 2019
So I imagine they could make Sunshine's controls work by using the Right trigger as "full power FLUDD" and the right bumper as "half power FLUDD" (or vice versa).

Left trigger is same function as gamecube, and left bumper can be the Z button that brings up your Isle Delfino map.

overcast

Oct 25, 2017
Seeing this remaster/collection in comparison to the Tony Hawk one coming out just today is comical. Nintendo needs to be better.

zer0_X

Alt-Account
Banned
Apr 23, 2020
Not really, there's really no place you have to use the pointer and also move Mario at the same time.
I could be wrong (it's been quite some time since I played some parts of Galaxy), but I remember having to use the pointer to shoot stars during action and to collect items in the screen, but I don't have any concrete memory of those actions. If it's not required to use the pointer while moving Mario, than it should be fine

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
Is it just me or did Mario sound different in the n64 part of the trailer? Also it would have been awesome to see them remaster 64 to at least have wide screen, but that's okay. I'm just excited to have Mario 64 on the switch!
They took the DS voicelines like when launching Bowser, yes it sounds weird when you're used to Mario 64.

LordofPwn

Oct 27, 2017
If they sell the games individually (and I doubt it) you can bet they will be 30$ each.
You can dream. Galaxy and sunshine will be 39,99. Mario 64 will be 29,99.
3QGU.gif

Dr. Collins

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So we can't use the right stick instead of motion controls? Why is Nintendo so bad at this?

They should have just adjusted the game so that most star bits you go near automatically come to you, and mapped shaking to the X or Y button. Then the right stick could be full camera control like Sunshine. It boggles my mind how they haven't found a way to make Galaxy fully playable in TV Mode without any motion. Ugh...

Oct 31, 2017
Galaxy 2 not being included, Super Mario 64 just being a resolution and aspect ratio bump, and the limited window of availability are all pretty disappointing honestly.

I'll probably still buy this, but was still hoping for a bit more. What's weird is in the trailer towards the end, they have a graphic that shows the three games then the "Super Mario 3D All Stars" seal on the right hand side. Where the seal is, there looks to be enough equidistant space for a fourth game but nope. Kind of strange and makes me think of how people inferred there might be more additional content for Mario Maker judging from conveniently placed gaps in the images of the interface awhile ago now.

Mad_Rhetoric

Banned
May 7, 2019

Yeah it sounds weird. The sound in those clips might be "bullshotted" for the trailer for all we know.

Oct 25, 2017
adding full camera control to galaxy would be a strict downgrade imo :p

it'd probably add a lot of extra work too, given there are probably quite a few areas that were specifically designed to be only seen from one area -- and it gets even kookier with with spherical planets.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
I could be wrong (it's been quite some time since I played some parts of Galaxy), but I remember having to use the pointer to shoot stars during action and to collect items in the screen, but I don't have any concrete memory of those actions. If it's not required to use the pointer while moving Mario, than it should be fine
You can do it to stun enemies but it's never required because they're so easy normally anyway.

it's mainly used for pull stars/bubble blowing as well as selecting levels and collecting star bits. Collecting star bits is the only time you'll be moving Mario but even then you don't have to and it shouldn't be too bad to get them.

ze_

Oct 28, 2017
Was hoping they'd do more with the packaging and include access to concept art somehow.

Jan 10, 2018
Ya, 64 and Galaxy were $20 on Wii U. These "remasters" are basically those. I can't see them charging $30 for Mario 64.

They gonna charge based on what they assume they "gonna get away with". That is how businesses operate, I'm neither judging it positively nor negatively. If I would be Nintendo I would assume I "would get away with" a higher price point. The more revenue, the better.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
The fact that 2 out of 3 of the games in this collection are still running at 30fps has me looking like that one Jackie Chan meme

Like, could they have done any less

Combo

Banned
Jan 8, 2019
Incase anyone else is concerned, Polygon article got a comment from nintendo which states the following:

Super Mario Galaxy is supported in TV, Tabletop and Handheld Modes. In TV and Tabletop modes, motion controls are required for pointer functionality. In Handheld Mode, pointer functionality has been adapted to use Touch Screen.

Article: https://www.polygon.com/2020/9/3/21420227/super-mario-3d-all-stars-galaxy-switch-motion-controls-wii
Is this the worst decision of all time?

KevdotL

Oct 25, 2017
I think the play is to buy it twice. Digital copy to play. A physical copy for collection purposes and not to be open for another 35 years.

zMiiChy-

Dec 12, 2017
Wow, Nintendo really is the worst gaming company.

A limited full price release(Including digitally!) of 3 roms during a pandemic when most people can't even manage to buy a Switch.

I still want it though, ugh...

Last edited:

pikablu

Oct 28, 2017
Incase anyone else is concerned, Polygon article got a comment from nintendo which states the following:

Super Mario Galaxy is supported in TV, Tabletop and Handheld Modes. In TV and Tabletop modes, motion controls are required for pointer functionality. In Handheld Mode, pointer functionality has been adapted to use Touch Screen.

Article: https://www.polygon.com/2020/9/3/21420227/super-mario-3d-all-stars-galaxy-switch-motion-controls-wii

Lol wat this is so dumb unless I can use tilt controls with a pro controller lol.

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
Full price, half-assed ports, missing games, limited release (?). Typical Nintendo style, basically what I expected.

Won't be buying.

SkywardBeam

Oct 25, 2017
SMG 2 being absent from the collection is definitely disappointing, but I'll be honest, I'd gladly pay 60 € for Sunshine alone. So the other two games are basically a bonus for me. Can't wait to visit Isle Delfino again <3

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

A limited full price release(Including digitally!) of 3 roms during a pandemic when most people can't eve manage to buy a Switch.

You must be apocalyptic then that Sony and Microsoft are releasing new machines "during a pandemic when most people can't even manage to buy a switch".

Such a strange argument.

Jan 10, 2018

A limited full price release(Including digitally!) of 3 roms during a pandemic when most people can't even manage to buy a Switch.

The day you find out 2 companies are about to release 2 new consoles in the middle of a pandemic, while many are not having enough money to buy the current ones...

Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo could have included Galaxy 2 if they wanted to, motion controls and all. They chose not to, likely because of a combination of effort and projected sales.

Put differently, they are not shooting themselves in the foot by not including SMG2. They see 64,SMS and SMG as good value for $60 and think enough people will agree and buy it. Meanwhile they keep SMG2 in their back pocket for a separate release.

It's a bit analogous to how they handled VC library and how they're handling NSO. They always want to hold something back, which gives their software more value and gives themselves more opportunities to slow roll re-releases in the future. Much as it frustrates people, it's a model that has worked for them.

Plum

May 31, 2018
This game has just completely destroyed ShopTo lol

People thirsty for that £7 saving...

You must be apocalyptic then that Sony and Microsoft are releasing new machines "during a pandemic when most people can't even manage to buy a switch".

Such a strange argument.
The day you find out 2 companies are about to release 2 new consoles in the middle of a pandemic, while many are not having enough money to buy the current ones...

The difference is that the PS5 and Xbox Series X aren't going away in March, and neither are their games. This is, so by preying on nostalgia and FOMO Nintendo is going to get a lot more people spending $60 during a time of economic stress. It's not exactly the end of the world, and not enough to deem Nintendo "the worst gaming company," but it's definitely a scummy practice considering what's going on.