rusty chrome

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Remember when the God of War art director did some SF characters for fun and shared them on his twitter? Looking back, kinda gives a general idea of how they could end up looking now. (Not exactly, obviously, but just the general idea, you know?)

30_raf02.jpg

30_raf03.jpg

This lead me down a bit of a google rabbit hole to see if there were any other characters fans had done over the year that I hadn't seen before, and I came across these

4ftm6k9qnrr31.jpg

TLrRsnl.jpeg

And yeah, I'm perfectly fine with Capcom leaning into this sort of look with 6. Going to be fun to see what Capcom comes up with for everyone.
Beautiful stuff, I hope Blanka looks close to that in SF6. His goofy ass face in 5 bothered me even more than Ken's.

Oct 28, 2017
I'm surprised so many people (not just here but in other places) think the final product (or at least the gameplay reveal this summer) won't look extremely similar to this trailer. From what I remember every RE engine game has looked almost identical between their reveal and their release, so I see no reason why this game would be any different. I really think in terms of model quality and fidelity, this is what we'll get.
Yeah, this is the first fighting game developed with the RE Engine so we're naturally gonna see a higher level of detail rendered on these character models since there's only two of them on 2D plane as opposed to Devil May Cry and Resident Evil which renders multiple characters in fully 3D environments. Capcom's RE Engine games have always been pretty much identical between their initial reveal and the final game so I have no reason to believe this isn't what Ryu and Luke's character models will look like in Street Fighter 6.

I recall people always saying Mortal Kombat 11 was the apex of high-fidelity fighting game graphics but it looks like Capcom is gonna overtake them in Street Fighter 6 which makes things interesting for when Mortal Kombat 12 gets announced.

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
I recall people always saying Mortal Kombat 11 was the apex of high-fidelity fighting game graphics but it looks like Capcom is gonna overtake them in Street Fighter 6 which makes things interesting for when Mortal Kombat 12 gets announced.
I'm not even much of a graphics person, but it would be really cool to see fighting games be technical showpieces across the board again. Feels like ArcSys and NRS have been the main companies holding that up this past gen.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
Blanka has been a joke character longer than he has been a vicious monster.

Also, I never want to see him or Dhalsim ever again.

Was he ever meant to be taken seriously? I mean, his ending in Street Fighter 2 was pretty goofy. He also had some of the goofiest animations. He had one of the more comical dizzy animations. I think he was always a pretty silly character...

RockmanBN

Visited by Knack - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cornfields
Dudley ranked pretty high in the last poll, so I wouldn't be surprised if he was in the base roster.
Saw another poll at Eventhubs and he was pretty high
1. Ryu: 199 votes / 3.7%
2. Chun-Li: 196 votes / 3.6%
3. Ken: 173 votes / 3.2%
4. Dudley: 141 votes / 2.6%
5. Juri: 140 votes / 2.6%
6. Fei Long: 140 votes / 2.6%
7. Cammy: 137 votes / 2.5%
8. Guile: 131 votes / 2.4%
9. Makoto: 130 votes / 2.4%
10. Akuma: 128 votes / 2.4%
11. Zangief: 125 votes / 2.3%
12. Sagat: 125 votes / 2.3%
13. C. Viper: 124 votes / 2.3%
14. Menat: 95 votes / 1.8%
15. Rose: 90 votes / 1.7%

Maligna

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Was he ever meant to be taken seriously? I mean, his ending in Street Fighter 2 was pretty goofy. He also had some of the goofiest animations. He had one of the more comical dizzy animations. I think he was always a pretty silly character...

He at least looked ferocious in SF2 in his portrait and sprite. If you didn't see his ending, you would assume he's a bloodthirsty beast that slashes at you with claws and bites your face when he grabs you.

Alex2DX

Nov 6, 2017
Is it a hot take to say that I disliked most of the costumes available in SFV? The only ones that looked consistently good on everyone were the track suits. Some of the default costumes looked ok (it's hard to fuck up Ryu and Chun-Li), but I thought almost all of the alternatives looked pretty bad. Like, I couldn't give Laura anything but the track suit, the others looked so trashy.

Hope there's a better offering next time...

There's just so many there's bound to be plenty of stinkers. But I also thought there were a good amount of cool ones...just going through this list there's some bad ones but many good ones too. https://streetfighter.fandom.com/wiki/Alternate_Costumes/Street_Fighter_V

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
South Central Los Angeles
If Elena returns, I hope her inevitable new default is based in colorful Kenyan garb. I know Street Fighter has never been one to really go into a character's nationality beyond basic stereotypes but hey, now could be the change.

This. Elena seems to be coded after the Maasai, but Maasai drip is out of this world:
dancing-masai-women-picture-id659640922

Let her keep her bikini if you want, but drape one of them colorful kikois around her waist like a sarong.

Other aspects of Elena's design are dated anime tropes and won't translate well to this hyperrealism. The blue eyes. The non-textured hair. Keep her hair white and short, but give the girl some curl and let her have brown eyes. Let her have dark skin.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
This. Elena seems to be coded after the Maasai, but Maasai drip is out of this world:

Let her keep her bikini if you want, but drape one of them colorful kikois around her waist like a sarong.

Other aspects of Elena's design are dated anime tropes and won't translate well to this hyperrealism. The blue eyes. The non-textured hair. Keep her hair white and short, but give the girl some curl and let her have brown eyes. Let her have dark skin.

Given Elena's move set, the clipping would be nightmarish for outfits like that unless they've made some massive advancements in that area.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I think people might be getting a little ahead of themselves in regards to the level of fidelity this will have compared to other already technically lovely looking RE Engine games like Devil May Cry 5, which is still the high bar for the engine. Hypothetically yes you could probably squeeze more detail out of just having two characters on screen, but at the same time we're also talking a game that resource-wise is once more hitting the reset button on a loaded roster and will likely end up developing around 40 or so completely unique characters from scratch during its lifetime. The manpower involved is probably going to be a lot higher than it was before, so I'd expect them to still be relatively resourceful within reason while expanding the game. This was supposedly meant to be a cross-gen title at some point based on those leaks, and whether or not it still is, I have my doubts that the scope went further beyond during COVID times.

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
South Central Los Angeles
I think people might be getting a little ahead of themselves in regards to the level of fidelity this will have compared to other already technically lovely looking RE Engine games like Devil May Cry 5, which is still the high bar for the engine.

Fighting games are a showcase genre. They always have been. They're allowed to do things with character models and animation that other genres can't afford to do.

It's not a stretch to believe this game will have a higher level of fidelity than DMC V.

scare_crow

Oct 28, 2017
Fighting games are a showcase genre. They always have been. They're allowed to do things with character models and animation that other genres can't afford to do.

It's not a stretch to believe this game will have a higher level of fidelity than DMC V.
Fighting games *were* a showcase genre. I don't think they have been for quite a while.

GTOAkira

Sep 1, 2018
I really wanna see older character get new move. Would love if they were to incorporate some of kage stuff to akuma and ryu's moveset. Give akuma misogi and give ryu kage's air fireball.

Oct 27, 2017
Were fighting games at their most popular when they were the best looking games? I think it was true for old Tekken, Soulcalibur, and even Street Fighter 2 iirc.

Village

Oct 25, 2017
Because DnB, Jungle, House and Dub have come back in style. If elena does return, her theme better be on point or i'm going to be very upset

scare_crow

Oct 28, 2017
MK11 is not a showcase?

Guilty Gear Strive is not a showcase?

Are you sure, bud?

Even SFV has some of the best 3D animation in video games right now.
Bud? Really?

And those are of course good looking games, but I think there's more impressive stuff. They aren't pinnacle showpieces like fighting games have been in the past. I don't think, at least.

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017

I was already figuring Elena was going to be on the likelier side given that she missed SF5 but I absolutely need all of this. Fix her to actually have her tie to her Kenyan roots and use the RE Engine to really let her shine.

SpScarecrow

Oct 27, 2017
Despite her being my avatar it wouldnt bother me too much if Juri didnt return. I just want more than 16 characters at launch. 25 seems like a healthy number. Bring back Viper. That is all.

Genesius

Nov 2, 2018
obviously a lot of the more expensive effects would be toned down greatly for last gen + run at 1080p

with the chip shortage I fully expect this to be a cross gen release
If Capcom is building this new service game that won't launch until next year to be crossgen with nine year old consoles, they have already irreparably fucked up.

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Makoto, Eagle and Elena are on my wishlist for returning characters who weren't in SFV.

From SFV I only need Kolin and Menat. I'd also like to see Falke return after a serious retooling, but I don't see it happen. The whole Neo Shadaloo thing seems dead on arrival; I can't help but feel Luke was only conceived as the new SF6 protag after reception to Ed and Falke turned out to be lukewarm (heh) at best.

But most importantly, please please please no guest characters ever. Cross-over characters like Akira are fine. Final Fight characters, too, obviously.

Yunyo

Oct 25, 2017
I won't waste too much time talking about characters because I guarantee the initial cast and first season pass of DLC is already locked in. Production pipelines and all. Capcom's probably armed to the teeth with data science and telemetry stats and they know exactly which characters to put in.

(Which is why Juri fans shouldn't be worried).

Irishmantis

Jan 5, 2019
one frame links can still exist once you rule out the points of buffer such as after you move

Pretty sure Luke's cr.HPxx charged light uppercut is 1 frame 2 at max

Because you delay it it rules out the buffer window

Sorry for the technical shit just had to say it

Last edited:

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
If Capcom is building this new service game that won't launch until next year to be crossgen with nine year old consoles, they have already irreparably fucked up.

eh

I can't fathom a case where SF6 pushes graphical or technical limits so hard that it would be impossible to play on PS4. Look at some of the shit that gets ported to Switch.

Really we could just look at Horizon Forbidden West. the real version is PS5, and the shitty nerfed version is there on PS4 for the people who literally can't purchase next gen hardware.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
one frame links can still exist once you rule it the points of butter such as after you move

Pretty sure Luke's cr.HPxx charged light uppercut is 1 frame 2 at max

Because you delay it it rules out the buffer window

Sorry for the technical shit just had to say it
Whatever technical aspects are to making it feel like that, it isn't the same. Some of the combos I went for in 4 were superfluous and showy just to be showy but I loved it. Sako's Ibuki was inspirational to me. I loved watching him flex. I just want those options again with characters. When I'd mess them up, I ate shit and deserved it. When it was the decider (especially against DP spammers) it felt like godhood for a split second.

Irishmantis

Jan 5, 2019
Whatever technical aspects are to making it feel like that, it isn't the same. Some of the combos I went for in 4 were superfluous and showy just to be showy but I loved it. Sako's Ibuki was inspirational to me. I loved watching him flex. I just want those options again with characters. When I'd mess them up, I ate shit and deserved it. When it was the decider (especially against DP spammers) it felt like godhood for a split second.
Surprised you understood me from them typos I did

I'm with ya, sure I was famous for doing Combos nobody else could do in tournaments

Was just pointing out they can still exist but yeah with a buffer in 95+ of cases they don't exist

But I see why they where removed since it was a huge gatekeeper

I love execution challenges personally it's my favourite part of FGs which seems to be disappearing for the mainstream fighters

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
eh

I can't fathom a case where SF6 pushes graphical or technical limits so hard that it would be impossible to play on PS4. Look at some of the shit that gets ported to Switch.

Really we could just look at Horizon Forbidden West. the real version is PS5, and the shitty nerfed version is there on PS4 for the people who literally can't purchase next gen hardware.
The issue is more about considering the long-term repercussions of going cross-gen. Having to account for the PS4 & XB1 all the way in 2027 or even 2028 would likely be a pain in the ass for Capcom. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if MK12 was current-gen only given what Ed Boon said on the topic.

Back when SF6 was supposed to come out last year, cross-gen would've made sense. Now that the game likely isn't coming until early next year, not so much. This becomes even more parent when you consider that 2 of the Capcom games that have either been announced or heavily rumored for next year (Pragmata & RE4 Remake) are current-gen only (or reportedly so in RE4make's case).

Deleted member 1190

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
eh

On one hand, I'm all for getting the game into more hands and having the chance at a larger player base.

On the other hand, it means current gen players are held back by last gen player load times and other weird issues that come up during online cross play.