Status
Not open for further replies.

GulAtiCa

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Looking to make some long term investments? Should I keep waiting or is now a good time to start buying?

I almost bought a bunch of Disney at~$90 and now it's hovering at $80.
Best to not try to time the market and it's "floor". I bought some DIS at 90 and have some planned if it reaches 75. Buy a little bit, and see if it goes lower.

JustinBailey

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo stock has been extremely resilient during this, and appropriately so in my opinion. But it's interesting to see reality reflected for a moment - even if it is more psychology around everyone wanting switches maybe?

dem

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Thank god half of my RRSP account is amazon stock... Piss poor canadian dollar + Amazon holding strong is saving me.
Yay irresponsible investing

My Canadian stuff is taking an insane beating.

Buggy Loop

Oct 27, 2017
is this what you all call dead cats bouncing??

Isn't this a bull trap by definition? This week reacted nearly the same as last week. A few more pumps and then a bloody Monday next week.

The cases will rise, peoples will lose their jobs, vaccine is far away. I don't see anything else else than the market going down.

Édit: i guess you're right.. so many terms for market curves lol

Aurizen

Oct 25, 2017
Philly
Bought 20 shares at $137 yesterday, feel pretty good about that price since I'm planning on holding long term. Gonna buy more of that and some ETFs over the next couple months assuming things keep dropping. Luckily I have a good amount of cash to take advantage of this.
Tried reading about puts calls etc but that shit is way too advanced for me.
Yeah that and options I don't understand lol.

Jun 10, 2018
I was looking for a raw material company to invest in and think I found one in Southern Copper (SCCO). Checked a couple days ago and saw the price wasn't exactly a reflection of the absolute craziness that's been going on (i.e. it was up.)

Thing is, I've been looking at AT&T (T) a lot longer and the drops have made it super attractive to me (even more so than usual). I'm probably still leaning towards AT&T, but I'm actually torn on what I should get.

snipe_25

Oct 27, 2017
Coronavirus is expected to peak in 45 days. By September things will be back to normal. Disney will still control the biggest entertainment brands in the world.

They do control a ton of entertainment. However: how long until consumers are going to movies in public movie theaters in droves again? How long until consumers are confident in taking their children to public parks? These are the questions that make Disney a risk in the medium term. Long term, you'd probably be okay, but there's a good chance you can get DIS at a lower price in the coming months.

Servbot24

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coronavirus is expected to peak in 45 days. By September things will be back to normal. Disney will still control the biggest entertainment brands in the world.
DIS will definitely improve in the years to come. Maybe not to 150 again for a long time, but I think you can count on them reaching 120 again in the next 3 or 4 years. So if you can stock up at 80 or perhaps even 70 I think that's a good value.

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
They do control a ton of entertainment. However: how long until consumers are going to movies in public movie theaters in droves again? How long until consumers are confident in taking their children to public parks? These are the questions that make Disney a risk in the medium term. Long term, you'd probably be okay, but there's a good chance you can get DIS at a lower price in the coming months.

Half my FB feed complained when AMC closed, and I can see 20+ families at the park across the street right now on a workday during work hours. I think people recover pretty quick ASSUMING this shit doesn't get super scary and everyone loses a family member or two.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
Isn't this a bull trap by definition? This week reacted nearly the same as last week. A few more pumps and then a bloody Monday next week.

The cases will rise, peoples will lose their jobs, vaccine is far away. I don't see anything else else than the market going down.

Édit: i guess you're right.. so many terms for market curves lol
You don't need to wait for a vaccine to re-open the economy. You just need antivirals to lessen the strain on the healthcare system to whatever is considered an acceptable level, and there are already reports of promising antivirals.

Oct 27, 2017
Due to quad witching, it's most likely that there'll be a pump up today/tomorrow. Could fall next week so you could hold off until next week if you want to get closer to bottom.

Also things will move fast when good/bad news comes out so I don't know how realistic it is to try to time any of this. I think most people who are liquidating their retirement accounts are just gonna stay away for 6-12 months.

Dodongo

Oct 25, 2017
For me, it's not worth it at all to try and time things.

I'm just increasing my automatic purchasing a little and staying hands off.

Culex

Oct 29, 2017
My bank employer stock is now down to about 20 from a high of the 50's in January. Itching to buy intensifies!

Servbot24

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
For me, it's not worth it at all to try and time things.

I'm just increasing my automatic purchasing a little and staying hands off.
Smart way to do it imo. If you are constantly watching every time there's a dip it makes makes you antsy that you're missing an opportunity, which is probably going to lead to bad decisions. Best to stay steady. I'm waiting til April 1 before any more purchases.

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
Half my FB feed complained when AMC closed, and I can see 20+ families at the park across the street right now on a workday during work hours. I think people recover pretty quick ASSUMING this shit doesn't get super scary and everyone loses a family member or two.
Imagine AMC surviving this and owning thousands of shares. That's a high risk move, but certainly thinking about it. Need to take a look at their 10-K and see how their balance sheet looks and watch this again: https://youtu.be/sSAuxMiSChg

Dr. Feel Good

Oct 25, 2017
Imagine AMC surviving this and owning thousands of shares. That's a high risk move, but certainly thinking about it. Need to take a look at their 10-K and see how their balance sheet looks and watch this again: https://youtu.be/sSAuxMiSChg

There's a deeper play here I think that is going to force the power dynamic back in the favor of the studios. Theaters will continue to lose leverage. Studios want day and date theater and digital release. This will only help their motivation.

Link

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
And gains for the day have been wiped out during this press conference. Bang up job as always, Mr. President!

jfkgoblue

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Stock market being steady today is a positive I would say, despite some people lamenting how "boring" that is

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017
Hey, Musk was right for the second time!!

wkyV28q.png

Gpsych

May 20, 2019
Closed out my SNAP position after it rose 10% today. Made just a bit of money as I basically bought it at that price. I'm thinking it's going back down after its surge today that was basically based off of nothing.

ChrisR

Oct 26, 2017
Not shocked at the gains today, expecting similar tomorrow before we trip the circuit breaker next week.

Shoulda sold my puts yesterday :(

SneakersSO

Banned
Oct 24, 2017
North America
Yeah - this market stability is what the Trump admin has been fighting for. Daily reports, overpromising.

Right now, market is simply gonna wait and see how various parts of the business sector is gonna react to this new economic reality

Status
Not open for further replies.