Arthoneceron

Oct 27, 2017
Minas Gerais, Brazil
It's the first time that I'm seeing the Dragon's Crown logo/font.

Whoever which did that needs to be fired ASAP

About steelcase, never had one, sadly. The earliest that I had was the boxes for the N64 which were beautiful to put on the shelves, but nothing more.

Coolsambob

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
I have more steel books than I can be bothered to count, mostly movies but always tend to go for a steel version of a game too. Currently have Tomb Raider, Spiderman and Yakuza 2 pre-ordered as steelbooks. Think my first one was DMC4 when I picked up my first PS3.

LiquidSolid

Oct 26, 2017
Yep, Witcher 3 had fantastic looking steelbooks - I have the one on the left

81iA4iVlm1L._AC_SL1500_.jpg
The only problem with the Witcher 3 steelbook is the lack of a logo on the spine. I'm guessing they deliberately didn't want to include a logo on the case but I like seeing them when I look at my games shelf and I don't think limiting the logo to just the spine would've hurt the artwork at all.

Anyway, nah OP, proper steelbooks (not "metal cases") are great. I really don't understand why you'd complain about consistency when there's so little consistency with the standard cases. It's not like they're the old PAL PS2 cases with spinrs that have a standard white background and the title in a generic font, cases are all over the place these days. So if anything, I think steelbooks are actually MORE consistent and I'll always buy one if it's an option.

Hoo-doo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
The Persona 5 steelbook is one of the best game cases i've ever seen. And it comes with a plastic sleeve that makes it blend in with other 'regular' games on the shelf better. The inside art is great too. It all fits for a game with a crazy sense of style like this.

_3222cuu.jpg

61oznlOf8XL._SY445_.jpg

Wipeout-Omega-Steelbook-750x422.jpg

Absolutely terrible.

Is this post sarcastic or what. These are some amazing steelbooks.

Z-Brownie

Nov 6, 2017
i will not complain on the art of them, but i don't like the lack of pattern between them, i like to look to my shelf and see everything organized, and they rarelly care about consistency, but this is my condition screaming at me "THEY NEED TO BE ALIKE!"

SneerfulOwl

Nov 4, 2017
Tacky, slightly bigger than normal case, takes extra shelf space, sometimes costs extra money for no reason.

Yup, just give me plastic case instead.

belteshazzar

Oct 27, 2017
I do kinda dislike the steelbook for Dragon's Crown Pro with is aggressive embossing. However, I really like it on other games as long as it follows this simple rule: it must have the name of the game in the spine. The Order 1886 Steelbook didn't have it, and it drives me crazy. It's just this grayish brownish box sitting there without any way to know what game it is unless you slide it out.

Eros

Oct 27, 2017
I'll give you that raised steelbook nonsense, but generally steekbooks are tight af.

Ciao

Jun 14, 2018
100% agree with OP. I used to buy every crap collector edition with OST, plastic junk and steelbooks. I broke two games poping them off from their steelbook.

Apr 25, 2018
Rockwall, Texas
The one that came in the Homeworld big box is brilliant. So much in-depth gameplay information and lore.
MAeWYAt.png

Holy shit I didn't think anyone else had that anymore. I was amazed at how well put together that was. I love that game.

As for steelbooks I love them for movies. For games eh, I have a few but for some reason they don't resonate with me the same way. Maybe because B/C has been so spotty they've felt out of place once I've moved on to the next gen. Now though I might start getting into them since B/C seems to be on it's way to being the norm.

Burrman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like the only person that doesn't like them. I don't know why but the cases themselves I find ugly

Sheng Long

Oct 27, 2017
Earth
I like 'em.

I don't get the hard to open and hard to get a disc out of complaint. Never had any issues with that. Had a dented Face Off Bluray one from Wal Mart once. NO big deal to me...If there's a Steelbook I usually will go for it.

Deleted member 19533

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I didn't buy the game for the same reason. Amazon in the US now has a regualr case version. Maybe the UK does as well? How willing are you to import?

Tomb Raider throughly annoys me as it always only has a steelbook for a long time. So I always get it, then buy a regular case later down the line.

Orochinagis

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My only grip is how tight the disc is glued to the case, like you can break the disc if you put it again on the case

Dec 9, 2017
Steelbooks can look fantastic. Its just that a lot of them are barebones dull matte steels. Premium movie steelbooks are fantastic.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I like them, though I agree the Dragon's Crown one is very low quality.

Like the Persona 5 and Bloodborne ones are very well made.

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
This is one of those threads that really makes me wish that ResetEra would have a hide thread function that also works on mobile lol. I always get irked looking at it. But they'll never add it.

LiquidSolid

Oct 26, 2017
I do kinda dislike the steelbook for Dragon's Crown Pro with is aggressive embossing. However, I really like it on other games as long as it follows this simple rule: it must have the name of the game in the spine. The Order 1886 Steelbook didn't have it, and it drives me crazy. It's just this grayish brownish box sitting there without any way to know what game it is unless you slide it out.
That Dragon's Crown case isn't a real steelbook (as in, produced by the Steelbook company), it's a "metal case" which are much lower quality and have ugly visible hinges on the spine.

Agreed on The Order 1886 steelbook though. Sony used to be really bad with printing the spine title on the shitty plastic slip cover they included with their steelbooks, instead of on the steelbook itself so you HAD to keep the slip cover if you wanted the title displayed. Thankfully it seems like they finally realised how crappy it is this gen, though a couple still fell through the cracks (from my collection: The Order 1886 and Until Dawn).

MrMephistoX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I hate them too especially when they are so easy to dent and the paint wears off and scratches. I'll agree they look pretty to start but much like black smartphones they look like shit after a while.

Then again I only own one game on disc this gen unless you count the PSVR pack in.

DyByHands

Jul 16, 2018
Make sure to buy an acrylic varnish!

Almost any brand will serve. Liquitex is pretty good. Just check for an acrylic varnish, not regular ones, those tend to eat paint if the Steelbooks is painted or something.
And you have done this, successfully? I would worry. I have used quite a few different acrylic clear coats on art projects and a lot of them will leave my clay/resin/paints kind of sticky. Though I obviously have no experience with metals.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
I agree OP, I avoid steelbooks like the plague. Really sucks that most of the time CEs don't include the regular case along with the steelbook.

Avenger54321

Oct 27, 2017
Gurnee
Never knew that steelbooks can rust, guess you learn something everyday

I like steelbooks though I only buy them if it's for a game/series that I like, if not then the regular case is fine. I only own 3 though which are Persona 5, FFXV, and Yakuza Kiwami 1, and KH3 when that comes out which will make 4. At first I did have a hard time getting the disc out, but I got used it after some time.

OP
OP

Deleted member 29939

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Hitman-SteelBook-banner.jpg

I actually have this steelbook. Super high quality matte finish and all that... boring as shit to look at, would rather have a regular version without nothing but two bald dudes on a white backdrop as boxart.

No go. Regular one didnt exist at the time and this steelbook one was going for 19,00EUR.

Now this comes out...

365824022308319.jpg

MUCH better!!! Goddammit lol.

OP
OP

Deleted member 29939

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
i6d1s3q77cq01.jpg

26346380947_19ef12e378_b.jpg

Speaking of the Spiderman one. Like... wtf
Maybe I'm insane but the regular box is infinitely better looking. Premium for a spider logo on a red tin box? What?!

Bottom package is gorgeous. Spiderman on a radial red gradient backdrop with fat Spiderman and Marvel logos like a comic cover. PS4's blue banners and clear blue cases actually working in favour of the hero's color scheme. Good shit!

Spaggy

Oct 26, 2017
I never cared for steelbooks either. I just don't like the inconsistency. The only one I've ever owned was the Halo 2 SE.

But I'm mostly digital now, so it doesn't matter to me haha

rebelcrusader

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Steel books are the only reason I would even consider buying a physical game

Wish they offered them without a disk

chaosaeon

Oct 26, 2017
Speaking of the Spiderman one. Like... wtf
Maybe I'm insane but the regular box is infinitely better looking. Premium for a spider logo on a red tin box? What?!

Bottom package is gorgeous. Spiderman on a radial red gradient backdrop with fat Spiderman and Marvel logos like a comic cover. PS4's blue banners and clear blue cases actually working in favour of the hero's color scheme. Good shit!
There's also this one.
9lrjlDP.png