• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

CollectedDust

Oct 27, 2017
Indiana
I'm with OP on this one. As someone with a large shelf of physical games, steel books just throw everything off. Some have a cardboard sleeve, which I really appreciate. That said, when my shelves fill up and I run out of space, the steel books are the first to go in the storage cabinet.

Canucked

Comics Council 2020 & Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
If I go physical, I only go Steelbook.

fsGsudom.jpg

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
If more games came with steelbooks, I would buy more games. So I respectfully disagree OP. They're awesome.

Truly Gargantuan

Still doesn't have a tag :'(
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I love the few steel books I own.
I have the steel books for both XII on PS2 and the PS4 remaster. :)

SxP

Oct 27, 2017
Three pages in and nobody posted the most beautiful steelbook there is yet?

The-Last-Guardian-Collectors-Edition-Steelbook-Art.jpg

Conclusion: steelbooks are awesome.

MrNelson

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Was also forced to buy Persona 5, Mortal Kombat X and HITMAN season 1's steelbooks because the first massive batch of these games were nothing but goddamn steelbooks.
Boooo!
I don't know about Europe, but in the US Persona 5 was available in a regular case from day 1, it just wasn't widespread. Amazon was the only place I could find that had the non-steelbook version up for preorder, so I was willing to miss out on my Best Buy GCU discount to avoid having to get a steelbook.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Shining resonance refrain switch did it right, it's a steelbook sleeve the regular case slides into

Ralemont

Jan 3, 2018
I love them because they tend to allow artists more creativity than the need to design for mass shelf appeal. Sometimes all that creativity needs to be is getting rid of all the text and profile shots of 10 characters and just putting something that resonates with the core of what the game is.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I care more about the art on the case than the material it's made out of. Also, some plastic cases are hard to get discs out of too. That's why I keep my discs in CD cases now.

Raptomex

Oct 25, 2017
I have that version of Dragon's Crown. I've had no issues with it or any other steelbook. I keep my discs in binders and my cases on shelves which usually go untouched.

elektrixx

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's true. They don't look like the rest of your cases. It's a "Platinum", "Million Seller", "PlayStation Hits" level of graffiti on games.

I'm sure everyone's seen the Halo 2 and Doom 3 "Rusty Metal Tin" editions in used bins. Don't contribute to this garbage and opt out.

I got a steelbook for preordering Gears Of War Judgment. Never used it.

ambrose

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
I like them. Sometimes I wish there was just an edition of the game that was steelbook and an artbook (maybe soundtrack) and I'd be all set.

The Witcher 3 had wonderful variations of steelbook art.

the-witcher-3-Steel-book-Cover-83930584.jpg

Came here to post this bad boy. Probably my favorite case in my collection, the artwork is so beautiful.

Distantmantra

Oct 26, 2017
Seattle
I'm with you. I always order the basic plastic case if given the option.

This was my favorite situation with steelbook cases recently. Super Robot Wars X for the PS4 came with a separate steel book case, but the game came in the standard plastic case.

71_EcYRem0L._SL1000_f44ee512-0d58-49ad-a5a2-3716665bd5ff_1024x1024.jpg

darkside

Oct 26, 2017
I fucking hate steelbooks so much. They really are the worst. Think I might get around to just printing custom covers and slipping the steelbook games into regular cases and getting rid of these ugly things

Ryukori

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
Not all steelbooks are hard to open. In fact, all the ones I have are easier to open than the regular plastic cases. I do agree about it being harder to remove the disc from the case, though. I also agree with steelbooks scratching up easily just through normal use, and that's the sole reason why I stopped caring for steelbooks.

wbloop

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Nope, I like this one:

ffxii_ce_ps2_ntsc_02.jpg
This is how steelbooks should be done. Info on the back and retaining the PlayStation/Nintendo/Xbox banner for consistency. The missing banner is my biggest pet peeve right now with reversible covers, too. Reverse covers were a great way to get around the horrible USK symbols a few years ago and you got a great cover art while managing to be consistent. Sony in particular was great with that in the PS3 gen, but now everyone just says "fuck it" on steelbook and reverse covers. Some of them get around that issue with a plastic sleeve, like the FFXV Special Editions and Persona 5.

FWIW, the european FFXV Special Edition truly was great.

Jan 29, 2018
I like them a lot. I don't have many this gen though because they only seem to come with the dumb/expensive statue editions.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I absolutely love them. They're so much slicker, more tactile, and usually always have much better, cleaner art.

Het_Nkik

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
They're great. I especially love the cute little Nintendo Switch ones. Too bad NINTENDO FORGOT TO PRINT THE NAME OF THE GAME ON XENOBLADE 2'S SPINE!

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
I could not agree more, OP. Steelbooks look nice, but they're garbage.

I find it funny that they're the premium option when the whole point of a case is to PROTECT THE DISC. Steelbooks do a far worse job of this than regular cases because they have TERRIBLE, DAMAGING HUBS that make you have to pry and bend the discs out.

Fuck steelbooks. I always hated getting them.

TiagoCosta

User requested ban
Banned
Aug 3, 2018
I do like them, there are some really cool looking ones out there.

But I won't pay more to get them, if they are day 1 editions I'm happy about it tho

Siresly

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
All the labels, info and marketing blearugh is on a sleeve or piece of paper (which I tend to fold and put in the case) making the case itself space solely for artwork, allowing people to do more interesting things with it.
They generally look more pleasing because of this. But they're only good if the artwork is, particularly if the qualities of the format, steelness, embossing, gloss, reflective finish and whatnot somehow enhances it.

I don't care about uniformity, way more into the opposite, like this, and have never had any notable issues with steelbooks. Scott Pilgrim had gotten bent out of shape during shipping. I just bent it back. Can't do that with plastic cases.

Last edited:

Yazuka

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
I whole heatedly agree with you OP.
People can have their steelbooks as long as they include a regular case.
As long as Dragons Crown comes in a steelbook I'm not buying it.
Same with digibook stuff that Square Enix usually gives out.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I like steel books, it makes the game feel more special. Like buying an album with cool packaging instead of just streaming it.

ThirstyFly

Oct 28, 2017
Agreed. I can't stand them.

They do often have nice artwork, but it's not worth the other issues, imo. I avoid them every chance I get.

Mr Spasiba

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yea I'll avoid any edition of a game that has a steelbook and if I can't I'll order a regular game case and throw that pot metal shit somewhere out of sight.

That along with those shitty five song soundtracks and twelve page art books that games try to pad out their CEs with are the worst. Packing up a box with literal garbage and calling it limited.

edo_kid

Oct 27, 2017
I used to love steelbooks, would buy if there was ever a option.
But now after a couple rusted and others are rusting i changed my mind, they suck just not worth it.

never had that happen on any of my 350+ steels

I had like 10 then stop collecting when i found 2 rusting, and they were very well taken care of. I should check out the others to see if any thing changed in them this last year.