• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Wok

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
France
If I refund something during the sale do I lose the points(I pre-ordered DOOM Eternal but I am having second thoughts about it)? What if I already spent them? do I have negative points?

You have negative points, and you start losing all the items acquired with points until your balance is positive.
This includes games acquired with the $5 discount, which are automatically refunded.

Are your points boosted supposed to reset daily?

No, the number of boosted points can only increase. You are supposed to increase the cap by spending money.

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
ok bought a few things - VR stuff seems not so great this time around. Have 15797 max points and 0 ready to boost. What do I do if I want a £5 voucher? This entire thing seems stupidly complex and I want to do the least possible as long as I'm close to getting a voucher (if not I'll just ignore everything)

if you have games with achievements already done. Just let the game run in the background for 30 minutes or so and it should show up to claim. Loaded up RotTR and had 5k points to claim (was 10k before the Steam nerf...). Keep in mind though you lose any extra fuel you don't have capacity for on that claim.

Buy games = get boost capacity
Play games = get fuel to be used on boost capacity.

Last edited:

SolidSnakeUS

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure this happened to other people, but I bought like $70 worth of stuff on day one, did the boost for my team and only got 21 coins out it LOL. Thanks Steam...

Oct 25, 2017
If I refund something during the sale do I lose the points(I pre-ordered DOOM Eternal but I am having second thoughts about it)? What if I already spent them? do I have negative points?

This sale is so weird. I went from Steam level 40 to 108 already haha.

I refunded things and went into negative... then the next day into positive. Shit making no sense, but I did keep all the backgrounds/badge levels I threw the tokens into.

Oct 25, 2017
What on earth is happening?
oi25yKD.png

It looks like they're trying to fudge the results but forgot to switch the numbers.

spacer

Oct 30, 2017
They started normalizing the team values based on team member numbers, because team Corgi has like 70% of all players or something ridiculous.

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
What on earth is happening?
oi25yKD.png

It looks like they're trying to fudge the results but forgot to switch the numbers.
This happened yesterday. Despite a constant higher speed, other teams passed Corgi. It makes absolutely no sense. About an hour ago, Corgi had 80 times the speed of others and was in first place but third overall. They're not showing us the correct info.

Oct 28, 2017
I just don't get this: I "filled" my capacity yesterday by idling some random game with achievements. Then I used these points for boosts. It said something like " 0 / 8584 " after using them. There was also some text "come back tomorrow to earn more points".
Then today it suddenly says " 8584 / 8684 " so I got the 100 capacity upgrade but it is already full now again when I get 100 points and it still says "come back tomorrow".
So I can never get this 5 € discount because my capacity will never be high enough with the exception of buying a lot of games? This doesn't make sense.

Shit's fucked.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
I just don't get this: I "filled" my capacity yesterday by idling some random game with achievements. Then I used these points for boosts. It said something like " 0 / 8584 " after using them. There was also some text "come back tomorrow to earn more points".
Then today it suddenly says " 8584 / 8684 " so I got the 100 capacity upgrade but it is already full now again when I get 100 points and it still says "come back tomorrow".
So I can never get this 5 € discount because my capacity will never be high enough with the exception of buying a lot of games? This doesn't make sense.

Shit's fucked.
You need to spend money to increase your capacity--that's the only way. (The +2000 was a compensation for how much of a disaster this has all been. It's normally +100/day which is so negligible as to not exist.) It works out to something like spend $150, get one $5 coupon.

If you have a decently sized Steam library you'll probably be able to fill tens of thousands of capacity, but can only get that with massive, new Steam purchases.

Oct 28, 2017
You need to spend money to increase your capacity--that's the only way. (The +2000 was a compensation for how much of a disaster this has all been. It's normally +100/day which is so negligible as to not exist.) It works out to something like spend $150, get one $5 coupon.

If you have a decently sized Steam library you'll probably be able to fill tens of thousands of capacity, but can only get that with massive, new Steam purchases.
So the "come back tomorrow" only refers to the 100 automatic capacity you get each day? There is no reset?

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
if you play a game - eg I just installed and played portal to get 1197 points (5 acheivements) - can I play that again tomorrow or is it one and done? So I have to find other games I have achievements on?

Is there any formula for how many points per acheivement and where you can see that? Or a way to sort your owned games by how many achievements you've unlocked?

eg I have 5 acheivements in both Portal and Stanley Parable (was looking for things quick to download). But portal gives me 1197 points, and stanley gives me 1623

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
if you play a game - eg I just installed and played portal to get 1197 points (5 acheivements) - can I play that again tomorrow or is it one and done? So I have to find other games I have achievements on?

Is there any formula for how many points per acheivement and where you can see that? Or a way to sort your owned games by how many achievements you've unlocked?

eg I have 5 acheivements in both Portal and Stanley Parable (was looking for things quick to download). But portal gives me 1197 points, and stanley gives me 1623
I think you can only claim achievements from a game once. Might need to actually play it on the day you claim it, though, it's been unreliable for me.

Points awarded, AFAIK, are based on achievement completion percentage. Unfortunately I don't think you can sort by achievement percentage. But tbh even 30%-ish completions will give you a good chunk of points.

StarStorm

"This guy are sick"
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I press the Slow Down or rip some nitro off another team and it doesn't do anything. I've been pressing that button. Its broken. The Corgi team has the most nitro, but it loos like its behind everyone else lol. Valve forgot to fix that.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
I press the Slow Down or rip some nitro off another team and it doesn't do anything. I've been pressing that button. Its broken. The Corgi team has the most nitro, but it loos like its behind everyone else lol. Valve forgot to fix that.
You have to select a target team before you can use debuffs, if you don't know. It's oddly designed.

ZKenir

Mar 31, 2018
The Corgi team has the most nitro, but it loos like its behind everyone else lol. Valve forgot to fix that.
the podium results were reversed compared to the results shown by steam, I wonder if it's going to happen again or this time they managed to fix rig the race for good.

Depending on whether they rigged it properly or not Team Corgi being dead last might signify that they're actually the first

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
Valve is trying hard to make Corgi lose this race...stats don't even make sense lol

Highest Nitro boost yet way in last place.

NeoRaider

Feb 7, 2018
I usually never buy anything during the Steam sale because prices for my region are never good. But i feel like this is one of the worst sales they ever did.
Prices for a Summer sale are worse then ever. They removed cards, which made every sale in the past little bit more interesting. "Game" is boring and confusing. I can't stand challenges like: "Play these games from your library" or "Get achievements in these games" and i never do them. Do they seriously think that i will download who knows how many GBs just for few points and their stupid challenges?

I expected nothing and i am still disappointed.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
I've been having trouble getting inspiration for my new campaign of Stellaris, and it just hit me that this grand prix is perfect. Some foundational factions are right there.

Flandy

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand what's going on. For some reason I went from like 13k-16k(cant remember exact number) earlier this week to 26k yesterday for my max. When I go try to claim points it says I can only claim another 3k though????
unknown.png

unknown.png

Rickenslacker

Oct 25, 2017
I can't even parse what this is trying to say.

JI9hkfF.png

"You only have claim 80 points more points before reaching your max"

Uhh, okay?

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand what's going on. For some reason I went from like 13k-16k(cant remember exact number) earlier this week to 26k yesterday for my max. When I go try to claim points it says I can only claim another 3k though????
unknown.png

unknown.png

Looks like you can't claim more than 3715 because that number + how much you already have available + how much you've already used = your limit (26527).

rainking187

Oct 25, 2017
If you refund something you bought with a coupon do you get the tokens you spent on the coupon back? Because my token count went up after I got a refund, and I don't know if I got the tokens back for the coupon, or if it's still the event just being confusing and broken.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
ok that wasn't too bad - got my £5 voucher, not going to spend enough or earn enough to get another so I'll stop. Now to uninstall all the games I only installed to idle (currently have HL2, Her Story and Tomb Raider all sitting in the background)

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
so now I don't know what to put my £5 to. My wishlist top choices are all still a little expensive - I assume this discount only lasts until Jul 9?

Tempted by Star Trek Bridge Crew but I'd only play single player most likely

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
I'm probably gonna spend some more on my wishlist games to try to get a 3rd coupon and then knock 18 CAD off Remnant: from the Ashes pre-order. I'm not big into shlooters, but it"s got the Darksiders art style and post-apoc vibe (being from the same dev), and I don't mind tossing 30 bucks their way to try to make sure they stick around long enough to make me a proper Darksiders 4.

Uriah

Oct 25, 2017
I redeemed my my tokens for 5 dollars off when I already had one applied, and it just ate my tokens without giving me anything.

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
I still don't understand how Team Corgi can have a 500x or greater boost value than any other team, yet still be in last place...

Valve running a rigged race. Us Corgi members demand justice

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
So what's exactly the point of doing the quests? Isn't playing a game with achievements for 30 minutes way easier?

If you don't have achievements for anything else, or rather not waste your giant load of points from achievements if you have a low boost cap. It's good to do the quests to get the smaller amounts.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
So what's exactly the point of doing the quests? Isn't playing a game with achievements for 30 minutes way easier?

The various point values they've set up for this whole event are nuts. You can earn like 10 to 100 points a pop through Quests or filling up your Capacity each day, but you need FIFTEEN THOUSAND to actually get anything tangible.

If they raised the values a little, maybe gave you a capacity of 500 each day and made the quests worth a little more, at least you'd have a reason to get involved in the event. You'd actually have a hope of affording the discount by the end of the two weeks. As it stands, though, you simply cannot get there without spending $100+, so the best course of action is to simply not bother with any of it. You can chase down all the Quests you like, download dozens of GBs of games to idle in and claim the points from, but it isn't going to do anything for you. Unless you really want those chat emotes, anything below 15,000 tokens is essentially worth 0 :P

Oct 25, 2017
Well this whole mini-game is a train wreck. Can't we just go back to the day of flash sales and daily deals and that turning coal into surprises thing?

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
So, it occurred to me that I think Valve were told stuff by devs/pubs, and acted on it in a weird way. Or are using their own data in a stupid fashion. Bear with me.

1) Flash sales are bad. Whilst people say "Oh, Flash Sales were awesome", there was a feeling you had to pay attention to the store 24/7 on the off-chance a game you wanted went on deep-discount. But because of time-zones and people having lives, this was never possible, and there was actual data to support the fact that people just waited to the last day and then bulk-bought everything they wanted.

2) Discovery on Steam isn't good. Previous sales had cards for Discovery Queue, but I suspect there were a sizeable number of accounts that didn't care about the Queue except in the fact that it gave cards. I also suspect this was gamed quite a bit by a few people with multiple accounts.

3a ) Valve (and devs/pubs) have data that says people don't really play games during sales, they just buy stuff. Yey capitalism! Except I think this is antithetical to what Valve want.

3b) Hence the Quests and points for achievements.

4a) Sales data has swung the opposite way from the days of Flash Sales - now everyone bulk buys everything they want on the first day, and don't look at the store again.

4b) Hence the small boost capacity every day, unless you buy stuff and then buy more stuff. Every day. Yey capitalism?

TheChrisGlass

Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I usually never buy anything during the Steam sale because prices for my region are never good. But i feel like this is one of the worst sales they ever did.
Prices for a Summer sale are worse then ever. They removed cards, which made every sale in the past little bit more interesting. "Game" is boring and confusing. I can't stand challenges like: "Play these games from your library" or "Get achievements in these games" and i never do them. Do they seriously think that i will download who knows how many GBs just for few points and their stupid challenges?

I expected nothing and i am still disappointed.
That and the new store design is discouraging sales, too. There's only a few items on screen at a time.

Toscado

Dec 22, 2018
Has anyone seen the new Qualifier Tasks they've just added? Can't argue with 4 easy tasks, 500 points each.
Also overflow points from achievements no longer go to waste.

What the heck is going on with this event.