• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

FeD

Oct 25, 2017
Did that Shadow of War update launch? Or do you still hit a big progression wall at a certain point?

Luxorek

Oct 25, 2017
Poland
So far "splurged on":
  • Rise of the Tomb Raider
  • Deus Ex Mankind Divided Deluxe Edition
  • Dishonored 2
Good prices. Hard to pass. Now if only I could find some motivation to actually play these games...

grosvenor92

Dec 2, 2017
Is Assassin's Creed Chronicles China worth buying ? I've like previous games in the franchise and the look of the game reminds me a lot of Mark of the Ninja which I also enjoyed

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
Is Assassin's Creed Chronicles China worth buying ? I've like previous games in the franchise and the look of the game reminds me a lot of Mark of the Ninja which I also enjoyed
Not really. It's a very poor mans version of MotN. Average in every way. Have you heard of Shadow Tactics? It's on sale, I'm always tempted to get it but you know, backlog.

Tambini

Oct 25, 2017
Got 70p left in wallet so sorted by lowest price first...there is some weird shit on the steam store

Rosenkrantz

Jan 17, 2018
I ended up spending money anywhere but Steam. So far, only bought Sin Episodes Emergence, torn between Call of Juarez 2 (own it on disc, but my DVD-ROM is dead), Shadow of War and Battlefront 2 on Origin.

moblin

Oct 25, 2017
Москва
bought rymdkapsel, a cute little RTS:

643x0w.jpg

And two PopCap games, Peggle Nights and Zuma's Revenge because PopCap games are great.

I was going to either get the Bioshock collection for $15 or Witcher 3 for $20, but isthereanydeal suggests they've been even lower at some point and I'm not really desperate to play them. Might get Dark Souls 3 just to have them all on PC. Also want to pick up some of the classic Mega Man games but I can wait on that.

Still scouring the internet looking for gems. I see Downwell is a buck and it's been that low before, but the videos make it look TOO action-y for me :/

Bamboo

Oct 25, 2017
Still scouring the internet looking for gems. I see Downwell is a buck and it's been that low before, but the videos make it look TOO action-y for me :/
I think it's a fantastic little action platformer. What do you understand/dislike about action? It's very action oriented, as you said, but sind the playsessions are pretty short. A successful run of a game last 20min max, usually even less than that. If you fail before (which is part of the fun), it's even shorter. So even though it can get pretty intense, it's in small doses. Maybe that helps with your decision.

moblin

Oct 25, 2017
Москва
I think it's a fantastic little action platformer. What do you understand/dislike about action? It's very action oriented, as you said, but sind the playsessions are pretty short. A successful run of a game last 20min max, usually even less than that. If you fail before (which is part of the fun), it's even shorter. So even though it can get pretty intense, it's in small doses. Maybe that helps with your decision.
Yeah I've had it on my wishlist for a while now, I'll probably just get it. Stuff like this looks more mentally taxing than fun to me:

HeftyHotAldabratortoise-size_restricted.gif

The past few years I've been much more fond of walking simulators and slower-paced games but I do still love shoot-em-ups.

Csr

Nov 6, 2017

I highly recommend Bionic Dues. It is a rogue-like turn based game (turns go by very fast) with lots of loot. You control 4 robots (there are a few you can choose from) and try to take down other robots.

I have been playing it a lot for a few months now. I am very surprised that i have never seen anyone mention this game in the forum. I have been meaning to make a thread about it but never got around to it.

Last edited:

MMarston

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm considering re-buying Max Payne 3 for my laptop, but I'm unsure if it's just going clunk out if I try to run it. And the System Requirements Lab is giving me mixed messages.

Anyone more hardware savvy know if an Intel Core i5 @2.3-2.8GHz + GeForce 940MX is doable for at least medium settings?

Last edited:

Greyvvolf

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Just bought a gaming laptop. It's been a while since I bought anything from a Steam sale. I remember that certain games were lower for one day. Is this still the case or is every game on sale the whole time?

Zelda

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bought Dying Light Enhanced with all the DLC for $20, really enjoying it. Also thinking about getting Resident Evil 7 Gold edition for $31 but I think I can wait for it to go lower. On CD keys RE7 gold is like $15 but it's only for Europe unfortunately.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman

Nova-111 is 75% off, this is a neat turn based 'strategy' game, where you must move your spaceship in order to progress through grid based areas.
Combat is done by bumping into objects or enemies and the enemy patterns expand as you progress. You also unlock additional abilities to help you in combat as well.

If you're gonna buy stuff from steam, see if they're cheaper on sites such as
CDKeys.com
Fanatical.com
Instant-gaming.com
Humblebundle.com
Wingamestore.com or its sister site Macgamestore.com
2game.com
https://eu.gamestore.razer.com/home.html
dlgamer.com
gamersgate.com

A few have an in-store rewards program of sorts where you can get instore credit based on your purchases. If you know where to look, you're bound to save a couple of bucks.

For example, if you're interested in Shadow of War Gold Edition can be had for GBP 10 over at cdkeys
https://www.cdkeys.com/pc/games/middle-earth-shadow-of-war-gold-edition-pc-steam-cd-key

Last edited:

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
Any recommendations for local co-op PC games? We already played Overcooked and Planet Pitfall.

Not big on 'physics comedy' games.

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017

Nova-111 is 75% off, this is a neat turn based 'strategy' game, where you must move your spaceship in order to progress through grid based areas.
Combat is done by bumping into objects or enemies and the enemy patterns expand as you progress. You also unlock additional abilities to help you in combat as well.

Except only half of the objects are turn based, and IIRC there is a really annoying narrative. I bounced off this so quickly.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Except only half of the objects are turn based, and IIRC there is a really annoying narrative. I bounced off this so quickly.
I rather liked the narrative, I can get it not being for everyone though.

oh good

I hated that flash sale crap, that was the dumbest fucking thing
Welcome to the past 2 years of Steam sales ;P

There are a few sites that still do 'flash sales' on pc game keys for uplay and steam, but funnily enough they last more than a day depending on the site.

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
How's My Time At Portia? It looks good but I never read impressions on it here.

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Might pick up a game. Looking at Battletech -- which is on sale for $25. Anyone have much experience with this?

MirVie

Nov 17, 2017
How's My Time At Portia? It looks good but I never read impressions on it here.

There's a demo on Steam if you want to try it out, it seems to be of a pretty recent version.

Unfortunately the demo doesn't run well on my PC , despite exceeding the minimum requirements, so i'm passing on it for now.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
Might pick up a game. Looking at Battletech -- which is on sale for $25. Anyone have much experience with this?
Battletech is an excellent tactical strategy game. It's kind of a mercenary simulator with mechs, and a loosely structured campaign. It has an expansion coming out in a few days, and more in 2019, that will round it out, but even the vanilla game is a whole lot of fun.

The tactical combat in Battletech kiinda feels like the next logical step of XCOM's combat. Instead of being based on avoidance and alpha strikes, Battletech is allll about attrition, meaning you can never walk away from a battle without a scratch. It's super refreshing to play such a ruthless game.

If you play it, be sure to protect your Dekker.

ike_

Oct 27, 2017
I can totally back up OneShot. It's not very long either so it's not a huge commitment.

Bought! Thanks. Only able to play an hour so far but I'm really eager to get back to it. More than I was expecting.

I might sleep on Evil Within 2 and FM Requiem until winter sales. Really want to play both but I'm jugging too many long games with beefy systems at the moment. I'd like to give them both more attention.

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
Battletech is an excellent tactical strategy game. It's kind of a mercenary simulator with mechs, and a loosely structured campaign. It has an expansion coming out in a few days, and more in 2019, that will round it out, but even the vanilla game is a whole lot of fun.

The tactical combat in Battletech kiinda feels like the next logical step of XCOM's combat. Instead of being based on avoidance and alpha strikes, Battletech is allll about attrition, meaning you can never walk away from a battle without a scratch. It's super refreshing to play such a ruthless game.

If you play it, be sure to protect your Dekker.

I have questions Battletech expert Hella! How long is the campaign? Does it have replayability factor? Or after the campaign do you play skirmishes? I actually bought it yesterday even though I don't know much about it. It just looks cool and Paradox are involved, so I was like "yup, mine."

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Cities Skyline is super hardware intensive right?

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
I have questions Battletech expert Hella! How long is the campaign? Does it have replayability factor? Or after the campaign do you play skirmishes? I actually bought it yesterday even though I don't know much about it. It just looks cool and Paradox are involved, so I was like "yup, mine."
Paradox actually bought Harebrained Schemes after Battletech released, FYI.

But in terms of campaign, I... still haven't finished it. I wanna say the campaign is 50-60 hours or so, but it varies a bit depending on how well you're doing; it's a very meaty thing. Replayability on vanilla is pretty low in terms of like "story choices" and stuff, though the expansions and updates sound like they'll open things up a lot. (In fact, I think the next update has a free-roam mode?) And I've never been into skirmishes, so I'm not sure on that front.

You'll definitely get your money's worth, I think.

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
Paradox actually bought Harebrained Schemes after Battletech released, FYI.

But in terms of campaign, I... still haven't finished it. I wanna say the campaign is 50-60 hours or so, but it varies a bit depending on how well you're doing; it's a very meaty thing. Replayability on vanilla is pretty low in terms of like "story choices" and stuff, though the expansions and updates sound like they'll open things up a lot. (In fact, I think the next update has a free-roam mode?) And I've never been into skirmishes, so I'm not sure on that front.

You'll definitely get your money's worth, I think.

Thanks, I'm looking forward to playing it. Added Flashpoint to my wish list and will look out for it on sale in the future.

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kickstarted it. It's a really fun Xcom with mechs kinda thing. Decent amount of management outside of battle, customizable mechs with pilots that gain unique, specialized abilities and base building. Negatives against it are that the main story's linear with interesting missions and the side missions do have interesting objectives but are all one-offs with no story and the factions aren't played up too much. The next expansion coming out in 3 days will add flashpoints which will pretty much be mini-campaigns with a choice framework and allow more play by the factions, filling in my biggest complaint against the game.

The main story is decent. Nothing surprising about it, but it's well told and the animated art is beautiful. The main campaign's missions have interesting objectives and can keep you on your toes.

Overall it's got a perfect framework going forward, but the base game doesn't take full advantage of it. If I take my mech-loving blinders off, the game's good but not quite at Xcom levels(I'd say it has potential to be better than that with a few more DLCs to round things out). I'd say it's more than worth it at $25 if you like turn-based strategy. I'd say it's a must-buy if you like mechs.

Keep in mind, what I said might sound a little negative, but I tend to over-emphasize bad points. I love the game.

Last edited:

jodosutari

Oct 28, 2017
Any recommendations for local co-op PC games? We already played Overcooked and Planet Pitfall.

Thanks for the info on Planet Pitfall! Just bought it today and we really like it. Overcooked we haven't finished yet as it starts to be a little too stressful on later levels :) I can recommend at least:

- ibb & obb (very well designed unique platformer with a good amount of challenge)
- Never Alone (not too hard but interesting and the videos add a extra dimension to story)
- Brothers (played this with one controller shared, very nice! exemplary design)
- Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light (action puzzler with good mechanics)

These all are some years old already, but I haven't found similar new ones lately.

Syril

Oct 26, 2017

Trine is actually substantially different playing co-op. Instead of switching to the character with the right abilities to make it through, you have to use the characters' abilities to help the other characters get through the parts they can't on their own.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
It requires a lot of CPU but isn't well multithreaded. Likely a game that will never run smooth on any hardware.

(a i9-9900k or even 32+core CPUs can't maintain 30fps in many scenarios -- game will use 5% of your GPU)
Yeah I checked and there's no way I could run it. I would get the ps4 version but I would want to play with a mouse for obvious reasons, plus more DLC support I imagine.

Just gonna get sproggiwood and call it a day. May get state of decay but the real time survival aspects are super discouraging. Especially when I don't have a lot of free time/

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
Thanks for the info on Planet Pitfall! Just bought it today and we really like it. Overcooked we haven't finished yet as it starts to be a little too stressful on later levels :) I can recommend at least:

- ibb & obb (very well designed unique platformer with a good amount of challenge)
- Never Alone (not too hard but interesting and the videos add a extra dimension to story)
- Brothers (played this with one controller shared, very nice! exemplary design)
- Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light (action puzzler with good mechanics)

These all are some years old already, but I haven't found similar new ones lately.
Thanks! Planet Pitfall is one of the finest coop games around. It's a huge shame it isn't better known.

I've played all of these, but some fine recommendations. We also played Trine and Chariot.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Let's talk Total War: Warhammer. Is any of the DLC worth buying? I guess you can consider that question for either game.

I've always held out for GOTY or Complete editions, but I think it's safe to say that those aren't coming.