severianb

Banned
Nov 9, 2017
Recore was super hyped?

Uh.. YES? They had AAA-quality CGI reveal at E3 2015. It got a LOT of people pumped up. Microsoft execs were saying it was going to be a new cornerstone IP for the company.

Why do you think so many people were confused when it was announced as a "value priced" title at only $40. Microsoft were spinning on their heads trying to explain how that didn't mean it was any less of a game, although that's exactly what it ended up meaning!

"Why ReCore is $40?"

"We wanted there to be no barriers. We wanted to be able to give you a great AAA that gives you $60 of value but if you aren't sure, not let that be the barrier of a tradeoff of, 'Hey there's a $60 game and there's this game.' We wanted you to be able to get in."

Aaron Greenberg literally spinning on his head saying ReCore was a AAA game when he knew it wasn't even close to being that. Outright lies.

BaldwinAce

Oct 28, 2017
Montréal, Québec, Canada
Having played the first game I personally think 2 looks really nice...
Right? I'm feeling the hype right now and even tempted to buy the 18th may release date edition. Its SoD, but bigger and better, what's not to love about that. It's disapointing to hear about the limitations of the coop, but it's not "game breaking" disapointement. I'll be having a ton of fun nonetheless.

I'm more disapointed in the fact we most likely won't see a "Breakdown mode" like in the first game with challenges that unlocks characters and what not. The characters being procedurally done kind of confirms it.

ApeEscaper

Oct 27, 2017
Bangladeshi
IGN just posted

Uh.. YES? They had AAA-quality CGI reveal at E3 2015. It got a LOT of people pumped up. Microsoft execs were saying it was going to be a new cornerstone IP for the company.

Why do you think so many people were confused when it was announced as a "value priced" title at only $40. Microsoft were spinning on their heads trying to explain how that didn't mean it was any less of a game, although that's exactly what it ended up meaning!

"Why ReCore is $40?"

"We wanted there to be no barriers. We wanted to be able to give you a great AAA that gives you $60 of value but if you aren't sure, not let that be the barrier of a tradeoff of, 'Hey there's a $60 game and there's this game.' We wanted you to be able to get in."

Aaron Greenberg literally spinning on his head saying ReCore was a AAA game when he knew it wasn't even close to being that. Outright lies.
Lol Aaron Greenberg

Splader

Feb 12, 2018
After all the hype from Microsoft and the raging success of the first one, I was under the impression this was going to be a AAA game at one point. Don't give me "they never said that! You weren't paying attention!" crap. I follow Microsoft and their games more closely than most and I still got that impression.

Now, the presentation at last year's E3 disabused me of that fantasy. It's obviously a somewhat low-budget, $30 game. Just like ReCore. Also like ReCore, it's one of a small number of Microsoft Studio published exclusives that was hyped to the point of many people thinking it would be something more than it is.

All that said, I'm still excited for this game. Maybe my Game of the Year. I loved the first game and I thought it would have been a no-brainer to give it AAA resources. That's just a fan talking.
How could you have possible gotten that impression? Like honestly asking. Everything we've seen of the game showed AA. The animations weren't smooth, the graphics were so-so, and if you were "following Microsoft and their games closely", you'd know the price was 30 dollars from a looonnnggg time ago.

Now what in the above gave you the impression that it was going to be a AAA game lol?

Panic Freak

Oct 26, 2017

"Why ReCore is $40?"

What's funny is that a lot of people thought that ReCore was going to be a 2D metroidvania game before it was shown off after the reveal.

wapplew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They sure ask a lot of questions for the beta, must be the longest sign up procedure I ever took.
BTW, I still think this will be the best selling MS first party game this year, including Forza Horizon 4, look like a game will clicks with PC audience the most.

Neuromancer

Fallen Guardian
Oct 27, 2017
Baltimore
I wish the beta was going to be available on Xbone, but I suppose I can wait the 20 days or so until the game actually comes out.

Kilgore

Feb 5, 2018

"Why ReCore is $40?"

I think you and me have a WAY different opinion about what a super hyped game is. Stating that your game is an AAA is not super hyping, and showing a cinematic trailer either. If Recore is an AAA depends on what is the budget bar for you to say that. I think Recore and State of Decay are both AAA, but not blockbusters. Recore had an average to discreet marketing campaign, and except the last E3 before launch it hadn't to much presence.

Regarding State of Decay 2, it seems like a bigger game than the first one, and I can feel the budget is way bigger, and that is a more ambitious game, but obviously is out of the scale of games like God of War or Halo 5. If you think it looks shabby, well that's ok.

francium87

Oct 27, 2017
Liked what I saw from the giantbomb quick look. Hope they can iron out the performance issues and bugs, though.

melodiousmowl

Jan 14, 2018
CT
What's funny is that a lot of people thought that ReCore was going to be a 2D metroidvania game before it was shown off after the reveal.
I'd just like to chime in here and say that ReCore after all the patches and new content is a pretty solid game. The jumping is straight up the best feeling jumping/platforming in 3rd person for this kind of game.

Kilgore

Feb 5, 2018
IGN just posted

Lol Aaron Greenberg

I've been playing the first's remaster today and:

- Besides what you can think about SoD2 graphics, who say it seems a remaster of SoD really needs to play the actual remaster of the first one. Is not even close...

- Damn, the gunplay feels like way better in this one.

Askherserenity

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
I've been playing the first's remaster today and:

- Besides what you can think about SoD2 graphics, who say it seems a remaster of SoD really needs to play the actual remaster of the first one. Is not even close...

- Damn, the gunplay feels like way better in this one.

Pretty excited for SoD2 and i've only messed around with the original SoD at a friends. Worth picking up the remake for cheap? I think I saw it for 5 bucks somewhere.

Kilgore

Feb 5, 2018
Pretty excited for SoD2 and i've only messed around with the original SoD at a friends. Worth picking up the remake for cheap? I think I saw it for 5 bucks somewhere.
It's on game pass, and if you're not a subscriber you can buy the SoD2 complete edition (or whatever name it have) and get it for free.

The first is good, but I think it won't be a lot of reasons to play it instead the second one, that looks better on every aspect for the previews.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018

Good conversation on the Kinda Funny daily podcast. Greg as the fan, Andrea as the person who doesn't know SoD.
They talk about what it is and what it isn't.

Bessy67

Oct 29, 2017
I'm stull a bit fuzzy on pricing for the different editions. I already have the first game so I don't need that. Is it still a better deal for me to buy the ultimate edition instead of buying the regular edition and then getting the 2 DLC packs separately?

Xaero Gravity

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm stull a bit fuzzy on pricing for the different editions. I already have the first game so I don't need that. Is it still a better deal for me to buy the ultimate edition instead of buying the regular edition and then getting the 2 DLC packs separately?
Have they stated the prices of the two DLC packs?

Panic Freak

Oct 26, 2017

I would bet that each DLC is $15 so you're probably better off getting the ultimate edition.

Xaero Gravity

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think so. I'm just kinda wondering if I'd be getting charged extra for a game I already have if I buy the ultimate or if the first game is more of a free bonus
Only one of the packs seems truly substantial based on their description, so unless you really want to play a few days early I say you're better off just getting the regular edition and them buying the Daybreak DLC when it's available.

Edit: For those curious, the two packs are:

Independence Pack - Includes some new weapons, vehicles, and gear with a patriotic theme.

Daybreak Pack - Includes a new map with new siege facilities, missions, and a Horde mode.

Bessy67

Oct 29, 2017
I'm honestly OK with co-op being tethered in a game like this. Obviously that opinion will change if the distance is like 10 feet, but I don't want a bunch of people joining my game then running off to all corners of the map and messing up my world.

Jrs3000

Oct 26, 2017
USA
Did they show the tether distance in any of the previews? This kind of kills the idea of 2 cars off exploring doing supply runs in different areas.

Goonie

Oct 26, 2017
Did they show the tether distance in any of the previews? This kind of kills the idea of 2 cars off exploring doing supply runs in different areas.
A developer in discord said 450 meters. You can kind of get an idea of how far that is from some videos where a waypoint is placed.

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017

"Why ReCore is $40?"

Aaron Greenberg said that Recore is a great AAA game and it gives $60 of value? wow lol.

DvdGzz

Banned
Mar 21, 2018
This looks like soooo much fun. Hitting enemies with a car looks and sounds so meaty.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Finally got round to reading some of these previews. As someone not intimately familiar with SoD (I didn't play the first one very much) I'm getting more and more excited to try SoD2. This Game Informer preview is great... http://www.gameinformer.com/games/s...-full-day-in-state-of-decay-2-apocalypse.aspx

With improved controls, added co-op play, and better user-interface offerings, State of Decay 2 keeps the great concept of the first game while improving nearly every aspect around it. While some technical hiccups presented themselves in this pre-release build, State of Decay 2 already feels more stable than its predecessor at launch.

OP
OP
Theorry

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Interview with the dev.

And another confirmation that they only thing you cant do when you join other peoples game. Is work on their base.
Everyone gets his own loot also in Coop and you cna trade also in coop.

Last edited:

DevilMayGuy

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
I personally found saying "X game give X$ value" is beyond lame. One of the shittiest things I've heard from Greenberg, and not precisely because of Recore quality.
Yeah, value is a hard metric to quantify. For instance, I got very little value out of Persona 5 and BoTW, both $60 games, and have gotten heaps of value out of Path of Exile (to the tune of over 1000 hours), a free game.

It's a purely subjective metric when it comes to games, and thus isn't a helpful guidepost in conversation. When people claim something is overpriced, it is often due to very personal reasoning.

Reddaye

Mar 24, 2018
New Brunswick, Canada
This looks really good to me. I've enjoyed the original but it was pretty clunky in a lot of places (particularly menu layouts and giving players information in a neat and organized manner), but the improvements in those areas for this game remove that minor issue I had. The co-op thing isn't a big issue for me personally, but I can understand the complaints.

For those unaware: I believe this is available in stores on May 18th (the Ultimate edition) before the standard $30 version comes out at retail and on Gamepass on May 22.

Oct 25, 2017
This bit from the GB Quicklook is great

eAVRFpo.gif

Panic Freak

Oct 26, 2017
Polygon was pretty positive on the game. Most of the impressions I've read are actually positive.

Sounds like if you want more State of Decay then you're good.

Complicated

Oct 29, 2017
Sounds like you can basically have one person host your coop campaign to build up a base together. Everything looks and sounds great to me. Can't wait to sink some time into it.

BaldwinAce

Oct 28, 2017
Montréal, Québec, Canada
A developer in discord said 450 meters. You can kind of get an idea of how far that is from some videos where a waypoint is placed.
What, 450 meters? That's more than enough for what kind of game this is. A game about looting houses for materials and food, you can easily make it so 2 players take a side of a street each and communicate when they clear a house so as to not stray too far away from one another if a player is reaaaally fast compared to the other.

gordofredito

Banned
Jan 16, 2018
yikes, everything I've heard has turned me off from the game. Also, the game launches in 20 days and is still having these hardcore performance issues? That can't be good

Good conversation on the Kinda Funny daily podcast. Greg as the fan, Andrea as the person who doesn't know SoD.
They talk about what it is and what it isn't.

yeaaah... guess I'll cancel my preorder and wait for reviews, this was the final nail in the coffin for me