• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Klobrille

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Why didn't Microsoft give them more money?
What kind of stupid new meme is that? Do you have any source to back-up your claim?

Let's get the facts right. State of Decay 2 has over 3x the scope of the previous game in terms of raw content alone. They had 3+ years of development time and the team for State of Decay 2 is 4 times larger than for the previous game.

There is a shit ton of more money being pumped in here. The game has full support by Microsoft. Just because the previews point out some graphical glitches doesn't mean "Microsoft didn't give them enough money". What a stupid conclusion really.

The game will be fine. All of the previews praise the deep gameplay systems and simulation aspects.

WindowsCentral said:
Our hands-on started six to eight hours into the State of Decay 2 experience, meaning we're yet to experience the early stages of acquiring bases and their growth. Provided the opening hours hold up and opportunities for long-term progression are present, creating a personal home could be a compelling drive to keep playing beyond missions. With the added depth in both community management and base progression, gameplay is looking to push the strengths of the first game even harder.

WindowsCentral said:
State of Decay 2 appears to remains true to the original experience, leveraging many of the same foundations that make the original stand out. With deeper survival aspects Undead Labs has identified what made the original so unique while reducing the presence of some weaker concepts. If you didn't like what the original had to offer, State of Decay might not be for you — but for an experience with a strong survival focus, there's little on Xbox One quite like this.

The co-op is exactly how it was in Far Cry 5 - I don't see the media going rage-mode over that either.

Last edited:

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
To be honest I'd love to see a survival game in a setting like the recent 'Frostpunk' game, but then in a third person action setting. Undead Labs could do it. *dreaming*

Dyashen

Dec 20, 2017
Belgium
The depth of the management systems is crazy! That seems to be the aspect where this game gets the most praise from.

The bases also sound pretty creative. Can't wait to go for that bridge base that Undead confirmed a couple weeks back.

Puffy

Banned
Dec 15, 2017
User Banned (1 Day): Trolling, previous infractions for similar behavior.
What kind of stupid new meme is that? Do you have any source to back-up your claim?

Let's get the facts right. State of Decay 2 has over 3x the scope of the previous game in terms of raw content alone. They had 3+ years of development time and the team for State of Decay 2 is 4 times larger than for the previous game.

There is a shit ton of more money being pumped in here. The game has full support by Microsoft. Just because the previews point out some graphical glitches doesn't mean "Microsoft didn't give them enough money". What a stupid conclusion really.

The game will be fine. All of the previews praise the deep gameplay systems and simulation aspects. The co-op is exactly how it was in Far Cry 5 - I don't see the media going rage-mode over that either.
Ok

nasirum

Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere
Oh no. They copied Far Cry for the coop progression.

Host of coop gets story progression - you only get character progression.

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Gamespot
Unfortunately, on the basis of a three-hour preview demo, State of Decay 2 suffers from many of the same issues as its predecessor: It still feels a little aimless, and it's still never really clear what direction the game wants you to go in, since every direction is so punishing to traverse; the loop of exploration and defense soon begins to feel tired; and a multitude of bugs and some poor presentation make it feel unfinished. Which, of course, it is. Many of these issues could therefore be fixed by the time State of Decay 2 launches on May 22. But they've persisted since the original came out in 2013, and that's a worrying sign.

Eurogamer
As someone who has played the previous State of Decay titles I was struck by how familiar it all felt. Granted I've not been back to the series since 2015's remastered Year One Survival Edition so my memories may have faded slightly but still, it seemed like almost every beat was identical. The focus here is once again on building and maintaining a healthy community. Find a base, populate the base, survey areas, scavenge for supplies, upgrade base, avoid zombies, run missions, rinse and repeat.

Even the enemy types - the standard zombies plus the four special 'Freak' types - were identical in look and feel. The bloaters explode in a shower of acidic bile, the screamers attract hordes to your location and so on and so on. If it hadn't been for the introduction of the blood plague mechanic it would have been very easy to convince myself that I was actually playing just another remaster of the original.

Noticed these two previews are not in the OP. I wonder why.

Klobrille

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Worthplaying
The final version of State of Decay 2 hits the Windows Store and Xbox One later this month. While it's too early to make a final judgment, we walked away from the demo play session with a positive impression. So long as the full game maintains the same level of depth and immersion, State of Decay 2 should please fans of the original as well as newcomers to the franchise.

Fatal

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seeing a lot of excitement here. Though zombies were yesterdays news according to Days Gone threads.

Klobrille

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
COGconnected
Despite playing at roughly the same point of the game for hours, I never quite grew tired of the gameplay cycle. Rather, the point I was at only made me want to experience both the earlier and later stages of the game. Though single-player was my favored mode, the cooperative play worked well and was still a lot of fun. State of Decay 2 launches for the Xbox One and PC later this month, and it is shaping up to be one of the best zombie games available.

Kilgore

Feb 5, 2018
I've seen a bunch of video impressions on YouTube and still can't figure how much distance can be between you and the host. Somebody knows where I can find out that?

Kilgore

Feb 5, 2018
I'm not comfortable with the idea that a game like SoD have to be a graphical showcase to not being disapointing. But well, the game looks nice to me.

Xeontech

Oct 28, 2017
After watching most of the previews, I wonder why they didn't change it up a little more. At least visually.

DotHair

Oct 29, 2017
UK
Shame but it looks like this isn't going to be the top tier game that Microsoft needs right now.

The co-op seems really bad and according to Eurogamer it feels like a remaster of the original.

Hopefully they get their shit together before E3 because they really do need a win.

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta
Reading a lot of things I like but some I don't, mainly coop related which is a shame because that was the main draw for me. Will still try it out, and probably enjoy it

Oct 27, 2017
I dunno, I think it looks good. There seems to be more positive previews than there are bad. I wish they added more special Zombie types though. Main focus of the game revolves around the underlying management mechanics. Some folks focusing way too much on visuals (which aren't the best but still good).

Edit: Also, the bugs and co-op stuff can be easily fixed before or after launch. Hopefully a lot of bugs will be sorted out before then obviously. However if it's a much more polished and the mechanics of building a community of diverse survivors and headquarters are deep. Should be even more enjoyable than the first one, I believe you can even mod vehicles and weapons now as well, so there is a good bit to look forward to.

Last edited:

Riderz1337

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Looks rough but something you could have fun in for a few hours. The co OP aspect is horribly done though

Dlacy13g

Oct 27, 2017
California, USA
Hopefully the team will iron out a few of the bugs that were mentioned in the preview but ultimately I am very much looking forward to this game. Enjoyed the first but always felt it could have better...this seems to improve in the right ways.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
Aaah those gifs. Just 3 more weeks and I'll be blowing up zombies. (And getting rid of annoying community members! :) )

Landford

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People are expecting this to be on the same league as Sony's exclusives first party studios just because its an Xbox and PC exclusive? What the fuck? This is made by a small dev, with the smaller price to match. Come on people. Game looks fine and its really complex with its base building and community simulator. There is a lot under the hood here.

jem

Oct 25, 2017
Besides the tethering I think the coop complaints are actually a little bit over the top.

I don't see how saving progression in coop could actually work. Unless they had some kind of cloud based save/server system like Minecraft's Realms.

It's not like you're progressing story missions. It's a sandbox game.

Castia

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User Warned: Drive-by console warring
Another shitty Xbox (and PC...) exclusive.

No wonder they changed the game pass they knew everything on the horizon is complete dross including Sea of Thieves.

Oct 27, 2017
I actually like the jankiness and everything I've seen so far...until today and the co-op news. I was looking forward to doing two man teams and other things with people who were going to buy this game due to my recommendation. I hope the co-op restrictions is something they can shut off immediately, though I feel like it's tied to the game and won't be easy.

Zappy

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Another shitty Xbox (and PC...) exclusive.

No wonder they changed the game pass they knew everything on the horizon is complete dross including Sea of Thieves.

Is there any need for this? Firstly lots of people love SoT. Secondly SoD2 is made by a small development team and isn't meant to be a big budget masterpiece. It's taken huge strides since the first game but was never meant to be a massive AAA production.

I think calling games you haven't played yet shitty especially in the context of one made by a relatively small developer is a bit uncalled for myself.

Freakzilla

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Besides the tethering I think the coop complaints are actually a little bit over the top.

I don't see how saving progression in coop could actually work. Unless they had some kind of cloud based save/server system like Minecraft's Realms.

It's not like you're progressing story missions. It's a sandbox game.

No different than MC. Some of us only planned on playing coop. So we would be pooling our resources from Day 1.

Oct 27, 2017
People are expecting this to be on the same league as Sony's exclusives first party studios just because its an Xbox and PC exclusive? What the fuck? This is made by a small dev, with the smaller price to match. Come on people. Game looks fine and its really complex with its base building and community simulator. There is a lot under the hood here.

You seem to actually know what your talking about :p.

HypedBulborb

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Really excited for this, this is coming out on Steam right?

I remember seeing something a few weeks ago about it, but I'm not sure.

Wil Grieve

Oct 25, 2017
State of Decay was like, my favorite zombie game ever. 2 is looking fantastic. Probably the only upcoming zombie game that I'm at all interested in (yes, including Days Gone and TLoU2. Although I don't own an Xbone so that's a little bit of a downer)

severianb

Banned
Nov 9, 2017

After all the hype from Microsoft and the raging success of the first one, I was under the impression this was going to be a AAA game at one point. Don't give me "they never said that! You weren't paying attention!" crap. I follow Microsoft and their games more closely than most and I still got that impression.

Now, the presentation at last year's E3 disabused me of that fantasy. It's obviously a somewhat low-budget, $30 game. Just like ReCore. Also like ReCore, it's one of a small number of Microsoft Studio published exclusives that was hyped to the point of many people thinking it would be something more than it is.

All that said, I'm still excited for this game. Maybe my Game of the Year. I loved the first game and I thought it would have been a no-brainer to give it AAA resources. That's just a fan talking.

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
After all the hype from Microsoft and the raging success of the first one, I was under the impression this was going to be a AAA game at one point. Don't give me "they never said that! You weren't paying attention!" crap. I follow Microsoft and their games more closely than most and I still got that impression.

Now, the presentation at last year's E3 disabused me of that fantasy. It's obviously a somewhat low-budget, $30 game. Just like ReCore. Also like ReCore, it's one of a small number of Microsoft Studio published exclusives that was hyped to the point of many people thinking it would be something more than it is.

All that said, I'm still excited for this game. Maybe my Game of the Year. I loved the first game and I thought it would have been a no-brainer to give it AAA resources. That's just a fan talking.
They never said that tho. Ever. The studio did not magically turn into a several 100 people studio. It was pretty clear what to expect, especially if you follow the studio closely. Which you say you do. But I highly doubt.

Anyway, same nonsense discussion in every SoD2 (or any MS published game) thread... It's so tiresome.

severianb

Banned
Nov 9, 2017
They never said that tho. Ever. The studio did not magically turn into a several 100 people studio. It was pretty clear what to expect, especially if you follow the studio closely. Which you say you do. But I highly doubt.

Anyway, same nonsense discussion in every SoD2 (or any MS published game) thread... It's so tiresome.

I COVERED that in my first post. I DO FOLLOW the studio and State of Decay closely. Because I'm a big FAN. If even *I* got the impression this would be a much better funded game, then a LOT OF OTHER PEOPLE DID TO.