• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I'd say that coming close to killing the child of your loved sister because of a vision you had is a bit more than just being impulsive, it's in the territory of unimaginable. Leia and Hans lives would be ruined and Luke would be hated by everyone that meant something to him, so I don't get how it would be an action to save the things he holds dear.

In the original trilogy he was in a fierce fight against a person that had actually been doing horrible things for years and was responsible for countless deaths. It's a lot different.

That's the big issue, it could have been better handled if Luke had failed between RotJ and this moment, with someone else who he failed to turn. Heck, it could have been a love interest.

After this failure, Luke would have concluded that just because he managed to turn his father to the light side doesn't mean he can prevent everyone from falling to it, nor can he teach every force-sensitive individual to deal with this to begin with. He would have grown as a character, realizing that trying to suppress the dark side of the force from emerging or taking hold in everyone is impossible, that those sensitive to the force can't rely on jedi traditions and teachings or an order to become force-suppressors of other force-sensitive individuals, that the force must be handled less forcefully and more individually and internally. Just like he can't stop everyone weapon in the galaxy from being built, he can't prevent everyone from falling to the dark side, and in fact attempting to do so favored the emergence of a dark-force user who he failed to stop.

So cue Ben; Luke would have already rejected the whole idea of creating a jedi order, but since Ben is a relative he would have still been there for him as he grew up, just because he's someone he is close to. When he sees darkness in Ben, it makes sense that Luke would be fearful, because he failed before and doesn't want to fail again, especially not his sister and Han, he knows he can't always prevent others from embracing the dark side and it scares him more to see this in their son. Just sensing this fear in Luke would have been enough for Ben to doubt not only Luke as a teacher, but doubt his own future, leading him to Snoke eventually. No need to draw a saber on Ben.

BetterOffEd

Oct 29, 2017
If Luke Skywalker was basically put on pause for 30 years in terms of character development only to pick up at the time of TLJ, that would be horrendous and unnatural character writing.

And really, you keep bandying on about how RotJ left things off under the implication that he just somehow 'took care of that' integral part of his personality. I don't see that. What happened was that he went to Darth Vader determined to approach him non-aggressively because he believed in turning his father to the light. He saw that through in the end, but he stumbled along the way. But where in the world does it imply that Luke learned to never stumble or make mistakes in regards to that? Where is it said he learned to simply never get angry or let his anger control him?

It's established that he doesn't let his anger control him long term. That's all.

No one is saying they want to see Luke (or any character) put on pause for 30 years. What they are saying is that a major change to a beloved character requires explanation. Some thought this movie provided the explanation required, but plenty thought it wasn't convincing

Also, no one is saying they don't want to see Luke make mistakes. They are saying the Luke they know does his best to set those mistakes right. Luke is shown to be calm, collected, and calculated throughout ROTJ. He snaps once in defense of Leia, realizes the mistake, and offers himself as a sacrifice to make things right. The reason he snaps is because his strongest character trait is that he will defend his friends at all cost, another of his traits that is at odds with the mistake he made in TLJ. The importance of friendship and family, as demonstrated through Luke, is the heart of the OT

As you said, he doesn't let his anger control him long term. Thus, hiding away on an island for 5 years while all his friends and everything he ever worked for is going to the dogs could be seen as a break from character, the type that would require some powerful writing to force the change. It is not unreasonable to be disappointed with Luke's role in this movie

Deleted member 11039

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm kinda torn. I feel like I would enjoy it more with a second viewing but the film is just so long and exhausting. In fact, I think my biggest problem with the film is that it just isn't as "fun" as what I'm used to out of Star Wars. For better or for worse.

That's definitely a problem. These characters just don't have enough charisma to carry the low points.

Alice

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Why is it so hard to understand that, in Ben, Luke sensed something darker, more chaotically evil and far gone than even Vader, and that that freaked him the fuck out? He even spells that fact out. Couple that with how much responsibility was riding on him because this person was FROM HIS BLOODLINE, you know like the former most bloodthirsty motherfucker in the galaxy, and of course you get an instinctive "holy fucking shit" moment from the guy.

He's called out on it. He realizes it himself. He owns up to it. Does he do the right thing by essentially running away? No, he doesn't.
Does he do something understandable by essentially running away? Yes he does.
Does he learn that running away, and the way he acted was complete bullshit? Yes, he does.

What's the problem again?

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
That's definitely a problem. These characters just don't have enough charisma to carry the low points.
2edz0v5.jpg.gif

Oct 27, 2017
Bandung Indonesia
Well one thing is for sure, Hamill's screen presence as Luke truly commands the screen on this one. I'm fact he practically dwarfs everyone else in comparison, the other new actors got one hell of a task to catching up to that kind of commanding screen charisma, none of them even remotely close.

BetterOffEd

Oct 29, 2017
Why is it so hard to understand that, in Ben, Luke sensed something darker, more chaotically evil and far gone than even Vader, and that that freaked him the fuck out? He even spells that fact out.

You are told this

I think what a lot of people didn't like about the scriptwriting in TLJ is that things are told, not shown. Particularly when the script takes a lot of left turns, prioritizing surprises. The audience reaches a point where we are not ready to believe what we are told

The differences in opinion on TLJ largely come from those who are happy being told things, and those who want to be shown them. I for one, would've found it much more impactful if we saw what Luke was so scared of about Kylo. It makes things harder that what we as the audience see in Kylo is an unfocused, almost scared child, who isn't even sure himself which side he wants to end up on

We are the Poe Damerons. We do not like being told "there's a plan, sit back, and deal with it". We want to be shown. The movie tells us we will just make things worse if we look for answers, but the movie has a vested interest in telling us that, and isn't very convincing

Deleted member 11039

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why is it so hard to understand that, in Ben, Luke sensed something darker, more chaotically evil and far gone than even Vader, and that that freaked him the fuck out?

There's nothing hard to understand about it. It's just that comes off a PT level fan fic nonsense.

"Sure I faced Darth Vader and starred down the Emperor, but what I saw here was omega level bad. Sure my nephew hasn't done anything but that was scarrrrryyyy!"

Eesh

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Who did Luke learn from?

Obi-Wan and Yoda... What did they do in the face of the Empire taking over.... Hide... Luke was only doing what he was taught.

Deleted member 19218

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No one is saying they want to see Luke (or any character) put on pause for 30 years.

I just wish he didn't die.

What did Luke, Han and Leia fight for when 30 years later they are back at square one? To top it off, Leia sees her son become a murderer, Han is killed by his son and Luke becomes a hermit.

It's bleak as ****, really dark. After what they did they deserved so much more, a hero's rest.

In 30 years time will Rey, Finn and Poe get killed off when The Empire rises again or will they get the rest they deserve?

Oct 27, 2017
Bandung Indonesia
Lol I didn't even read what you guys are arguing and I just posted about Hamill's charisma as it is the first thing I think of after I got out of bed...

And I interjected right in the middle of charisma talk, lol wtf.

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

All I can say is after TFA, Rey/Finn/Kylo/Poe became some of my favorite movie characters of the decade,

After TLJ I couldn't care less about a single one of them

It made me not care about some of my favorite characters of the last 10 years, and thats something I don't think I'll ever be able to forgive it for

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
He never saw himself as a Legend, the whole movie is about the deconstruction of Legends and failure, he was a man full of doubt and fear who never believed in his own status. That fear was what led to his failure.

Doesn't he say he messed up because he thought himself a legend? He could teach kids because he was Luke Skywalker. The Legend. Reinforcing his point that the Jedi were flawed and taken down by their hubris.

Alice

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Well one thing is for sure, Hamill's screen presence as Luke truly commands the screen on this one. I'm fact he practically dwarfs everyone else in comparison, the other new actors got one hell of a task to catching up to that kind of commanding screen charisma, none of them even remotely close.

Oh right, I promised you to pay attention to it during my third viewing:

Rose doesn't tell Finn about the importance of her necklace. But he sees her cry while holding it the first time he sees her, and watches her fidget when DJ asks for it. I guess we're meant to assume that he picked up on it being important. That's about all he says to DJ when asking for it back.

I just wish he didn't die.

What did Luke, Han and Leia fight for when 30 years later they are back at square one? To top it off, Leia sees her son become a murderer, Han is killed by his son and Luke becomes a hermit.

It's bleak as ****, really dark. After what they did they deserved so much more, a hero's rest.

In 30 years time will Rey, Finn and Poe get killed off when The Empire rises again or will they get the rest they deserve?

Look at reality. What did everyone die for in WW2, when barely 70 years later literal Nazis are taking over again?

It just means that, after killing the Emperor, the Republic didn't do a good enough job at mopping up Empire remnants. Killing the leader usually doesn't mean ending his regime or legacy.

LosDaddie

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Longwood, FL
Just got out of my second viewing. Paid for the in-laws to watch it this time.

I liked TLJ even better this time. I feel confident in saying TLJ is in my Top 3 SW movies.

I thought the Rey & Ben interactions were well done. I also liked how Rey wasn't automatically the best & most powerful Force user in every scenario.

Oct 25, 2017
There's nothing hard to understand about it. It's just that comes off a PT level fan fic nonsense.

"Sure I faced Darth Vader and starred down the Emperor, but what I saw here was omega level bad. Sure my nephew hasn't done anything but that was scarrrrryyyy!"

Eesh

Is it not possible that Luke foresaw a future with Ben being(equal to or) worse than Vader? Billions dying and all that Dark side stuff. Don't see why that's not scary to someone like Luke, after everything he's worked for he'll see another Skywalker commit such acts again but with more ferocity.
I can understand why he'd slip at that moment, nothing fan-fiction about it.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
As you said, he doesn't let his anger control him long term. Thus, hiding away on an island for 5 years while all his friends and everything he ever worked for is going to the dogs could be seen as a break from character, the type that would require some powerful writing to force the change. It is not unreasonable to be disappointed with Luke's role in this movie
Well, the difference here isn't angry, he's depressed and broken.

But I see your point, even if I don't agree with it. Ultimately, I still maintain that it isn't that different from Obiwan just telling us about obscure references that aren't fully explained. Anakin fought in the clone wars, Darth Vader was a Jedi that turned to the dark side, the Jedi order fell under him. These things were explained in a few lines and while people were definitely curious about seeing htose events unfold, the mystery in the end proved to be far better than the truth.

Ultimately, I can believe that shit went down. Afterall, it's not like we aren't shown other deteriorations. Han well back into his old ways, the first order rose up, there came about a new dark lord, etc. If can believe a story exists that tells you all that went down to get the characters to where they are today, I suggest that you imagine it, like we were asked to imagine Darth Vader's fall.

For me, that's enough. I can't speak to anyone esle.

Alice

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Is it not possible that Luke foresaw a future with Ben being(equal to or) worse than Vader? Billions dying and all that Dark side stuff. Don't see why that's not scary to someone like Luke, after everything he's worked for he'll see another Skywalker commit such acts again but with more ferocity.

They even mix screams and sounds of destruction into the scene where Luke tries to read Ben. It's *very* obvious that there's some demented shit in that boy.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
I mean was Luke wrong to freak out?... Ben's response to seeing Luke's lightsaber was to kill a bunch of Luke's students (possibly some of them children?) and raze the whole thing to the ground....

He could have just called Mom.

Karateka

Oct 28, 2017
I wonder if the box office will suffer with no possibility of luke in anything more than a 1 minute ghost scene in the next film.
I dont think these characters have captured audiences the way the original characters did amd this film already dropped some cash despite being reviewed a lot better than TFA.

Alice

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I mean was Luke wrong to freak out?... Ben's response to seeing Luke's lightsaber was to kill a bunch of Luke's students (possibly some of them children?) and raze the whole thing to the ground....

He could have just called Mom.

T'was pretty obvious that he'd been planning that shit anyway.

I'm also pretty certain, by now, that the shot with Kylo and his Knights of Ren, if we ever return to it, was a flash forward.

What he's standing in, looks a lot like Rebel soldiers, definitely not Jedi pupils.

Deleted member 11039

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

The part about a threat even greater than the Emperor is what comes off fan fic to me.

But Yoda telling us "always in motion the future is" or whatever makes it hard to believe Luke would be so shaken by a mere vision.

Mockerre

Story Director
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
amazing, every word in that sentence is wrong

everything is speculation except the one thing you say we were not privy to, which was mentioned in TLJ

Oh yeah, that's totally my speculation - I was poiting out the trajectory that was set with ROTJ.

But that's the main debate of the movie, isn't it? Everybody just assumed Luke (or any 20 something) just gets wiser and wiser or never has another flaw. Not only is that not really true, but as Mark Hamill said so a couple of years before the sequels were even considered, it wouldn't make for much of a story or interesting character.

Luke showed a brief moment a weakness and the dark side (Ben, Snoke) took immediate advantage of that. And just like almost half the fandom, let himself get crushed by unreal expectations about what he was supposed to be and do.

I don't think he conquered that character flaw, or rather we never see it. Vader taunts Luke about Leia, and he snaps instantly. Flash forward some years, Luke is now a galactic legend, training new Jedi. And one person stands to destroy it all, which Luke sees vividly in that moment with Ben. A moment of weakness is entirely reasonable, in that situation and with his character.

After, Luke has now 1) followed the Jedi pattern of failure, 2) lost Han and Leia's son to the dark side, 3) let many other students die, 4) had his temple destroyed, and 5) had his own mythical legend shattered. Falling from that height is going to hurt.

I think it's important to distinguish between Luke giving up on himself, and Luke deciding the Jedi order needs to end. He now sees the entire history of the Jedi as one of failure, and sees his role in that failure; in light of what that's cost the galaxy, he feels a responsibility to end it. He's shattered, but he doesn't tell Rey he deserves to die for his failings; the Jedi order does.

It's Rey and Yoda that help him get perspective on the role of failure in teaching the next generation. I also want to mention Mark Hamill's performance in this; for me, he sells the shit out of this story. I really feel his grief and regret during the second lesson to Rey, and understand his motivations. Mark really killed it, and that's a big part of why I think the story works.

No, of course, TLJ TELLS us that he actually didn't conquer that flaw. But that's all I am saying. I would be on board with any direction, if it was properly handled, which, in my opinion, it was not.

We're left with a triumphant hero at the end of ROTJ, freshly after conquering his weakness and then jump to him being broken 30+ years later; for this to work, his downfall should've been more fleshed out. To confound the matter, this isn't even Luke's story, it's Rey's and Kylo's, so we don't get the crucial Luke - Kylo interactions. Even after finding his groove back via Yoda, Luke comes of as callous and uncaring about his nephew. And this is because, even if we accept he had his moment of weakness, that moment passed. The Luke we know, would have dig out from the ruble and go after Kylo/Snoke. For him not to do this, he would have to change a lot more thant just having a moment of weakness - and for that, we would have to see more.

That is far from nihilism. Things still mean things, both within the narrative and to the characters. I spoke and length before about how while Luke may be in the throes of depression, Rey's character arc is about her deciding to believe and carry on those legends, despite all the disappointments thrown in her face over the course of the movie.

With the decision to restart the whole conflict to Empire vs. Rebels and to shit all over the lives of our 3 main characters (Luke, a broken man, failed teacher, lost his family and students and the Jedi Order and his whole life purpose; Han and Leia splitting, Leia losing her position in the post-war order, having to fight the never ending fight after losing her son to the dark side, Han, also losing his son, demoted, even losing his ship, relegated to hauling some stupid cargo for small fry criminials) comes off as extremely nihilistic, though I think unintentionally. It's not even on-pause, as you mention above, its regression or diminishment for our characters whose lives amounted to nothing.

Again, not really how good storytelling works, or atleast has to work, basically for the same reasons mentioned above.

If Luke Skywalker was basically put on pause for 30 years in terms of character development only to pick up at the time of TLJ, that would be horrendous and unnatural character writing.

And really, you keep bandying on about how RotJ left things off under the implication that he just somehow 'took care of that' integral part of his personality. I don't see that. What happened was that he went to Darth Vader determined to approach him non-aggressively because he believed in turning his father to the light. He saw that through in the end, but he stumbled along the way. But where in the world does it imply that Luke learned to never stumble or make mistakes in regards to that? Where is it said he learned to simply never get angry or let his anger control him?

It's established that he doesn't let his anger control him long term. That's all.

I've shared my thoughts on his character flaw above.

And you've mentioning good storytelling. I never implied he should start where we left off, just that this development is out of left field. Bitter, old and disillusioned, this would better fit Obi-Wan after ROTS, at least how that movie went, not Luke after ROTJ.

And finally, if you've commited yourself to this arc, stick to it. The scene on Crait, with Luke's projection, were he redeems himself, is both, very derivative of Obi-Wan in Ep. 4, while simultaneously, in the end, giving us - and the Galaxy - Luke the legend. It's a lot of screen time that amounts to very little. You reset a character's progress at the start of the movie to seemingly end where you started. As I mentioned before, it's much ado about nothing; you can consider broken Luke as original, but his end is derivative; there were more interesting, more daring directions Johnson could've taken Luke, but didn't. Probably because the mandate is to phase out the OT characters.

As to the resetting of character arcs, Johnson does this alot (Finn has to re-learn what courage is, Rey has to relearn to not focus on her past, Kylo has to decide if he's cool enough for the dark side), which along with the reused plot point from the OT and the uniteresting space chase and uneventful Canto Bight sequence create a movie that is 2h 31 minutes long, but during which not much happens.

Ooh. I need to go to bed, have fun tearing into my arguments, all ;)

Moff

Oct 26, 2017
T'was pretty obvious that he'd been planning that shit anyway.

I'm also pretty certain, by now, that the shot with Kylo and his Knights of Ren, if we ever return to it, was a flash forward.

What he's standing in, looks a lot like Rebel soldiers, definitely not Jedi pupils.
damn you just ruined the ST's big twist. Shamelessly stolen from Lost.

It would make sense, though, I doubt they all had their armor and lightsabers at luke's academy.

BetterOffEd

Oct 29, 2017
But I see your point, even if I don't agree with it. Ultimately, I still maintain that it isn't that different from Obiwan just telling us about obscure references that aren't fully explained. Anakin fought in the clone wars, Darth Vader was a Jedi that turned to the dark side, the Jedi order fell under him. These things were explained in a few lines and while people were definitely curious about seeing htose events unfold, the mystery in the end proved to be far better than the truth.

Understood, but the distinction here is similar to the distinction between the need for a backstory to Snoke vs. the Emperor

The character Obiwan tells us about in the OT is not a character we are familiar with. Thus, we will accept whatever we are told. The idea that Anakin would turn to the dark side does not break the narrative for the viewer. We do not need to know why he turned or anything more about him, because we do not have an established understanding of who he is which is contradicted by new information. Obi-wan is building that character as he tells his story

It all goes back to what you as a viewer feel is necessary to drive a change in that established narrative. Some people will be happy with the change, others will need more convincing

Oct 27, 2017
Bandung Indonesia
Oh right, I promised you to pay attention to it during my third viewing:

Rose doesn't tell Finn about the importance of her necklace. But he sees her cry while holding it the first time he sees her, and watches her fidget when DJ asks for it. I guess we're meant to assume that he picked up on it being important. That's about all he says to DJ when asking for it back.

Haha thanks. Still not entirely convinced about the soundness of that scene, but eh, whatever.

My charismatic ranking for the new main characters:

Kylo >>>>>>> Rey >>> Poe >> Finn >>>>>>>>>>> Rose (sorry excelsior, hahaha)

None of them even remotely close to Hamill though.

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
The force awakens metacritic: 81
The last Jedi Metacritic: 86 (far too high imo but the fact remains)

Thats 1 site,

on rotten tomatoes

TFA = 8.2
TLJ = 8.1

Metacritic has 54 reviews for TFA while RT has 375

Metacritic also has 54 reviews for TLJ while RT has 346

So yea, metacritic is missing soooo many reviews from critics

prag16

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
You are told this

I think what a lot of people didn't like about the scriptwriting in TLJ is that things are told, not shown. Particularly when the script takes a lot of left turns, prioritizing surprises. The audience reaches a point where we are not ready to believe what we are told

The differences in opinion on TLJ largely come from those who are happy being told things, and those who want to be shown them. I for one, would've found it much more impactful if we saw what Luke was so scared of about Kylo. It makes things harder that what we as the audience see in Kylo is an unfocused, almost scared child, who isn't even sure himself which side he wants to end up on

We are the Poe Damerons. We do not like being told "there's a plan, sit back, and deal with it". We want to be shown. The movie tells us we will just make things worse if we look for answers, but the movie has a vested interest in telling us that, and isn't very convincing

This is a good point. The defenders are telling us over and over that but it doesn't matter. The trigger for this entire trilogy, and the reason the lives of the original big three start VII already in ruins... "Trust us, this super dark shit is fucking Kylo over, and Snoke did it." What did he do? How did he seduce him? What did Luke sense exactly? Why did it scare the shit out of him to such a degree?

Doesn't matter apparently. None of that matters. Just a plot device that doesn't need to be explored, right?

And for the thousandth time, you can't compare it to the situation at the outset of the OT. There WAS no Star Wars universe at that time All we had was George Lucas flying by the seat of his pants. State of the galaxy, Palpatine's rise, no, we weren't walked through all that at the time. But that doesn't mean it's an apples to apples comparison to say none of that is needed here either.

Alice

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Doesn't the line follows say something like "he would kill everything dear to me"?

Yup, and we know how reasonable Luke is when that's in the room. Irony is, he pushed him to do it even more, now.

damn you just ruined the ST's big twist. Shamelessly stolen from Lost.

It would make sense, though, I doubt they all had their armor and lightsabers at luke's academy.

That, and, Kylo wouldn't have his new Saber there. Given the current canon as per the Vader ongioing comic book, he would have to corrupt a Jedi'a saber crystal in order to get a red crystal, my theory on that is that it's either Luke's, or some other pupil's. Probably won't be expanded on until some new EU stuff.

You have to be straight up trolling now.

He's been for a while, really. :/

Haha thanks. Still not entirely convinced about the soundness of that scene, but eh, whatever.

My charismatic ranking for the new main characters:

Kylo >>>>>>> Rey >>> Poe >> Finn >>>>>>>>>>> Rose (sorry excelsior, hahaha)

None of them even remotely close to Hamill though.

I found it pretty sound, actually, Finn is the kinda guy to pick up on things like that.

I'd put Rose at the same spot as Finn in your ranking, and Poe above Rey, but other than that it makes sense.

Deleted member 11039

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You have to be straight up trolling now.

I honestly had no idea so many people are into Poe. Seriously. Lol

His best scenes are with Finn and that's Boyega doing the heavy lifting.

He is a doorknob on his own and the scenes with his superiors and such here.

That crank call is so cringeworthy, mostly because of the writing but he also doesn't have the chops for it either.

Oh gosh, I just remembered, he drops the super on the nose "as long as there's still light" line too doesn't he? Pewwww

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
I honestly had no idea so many people are into Poe. Seriously. Lol

His best scenes are with Finn and that's Boyega doing the heavy lifting.

He is a doorknob on his own and the scenes with his superiors and such here.

That crank call is so cringeworthy, mostly because of the writing but he also doesn't have the chops for it either.

Oh gosh, I just remembered, he drops the super on the nose "as long as there's still light" line too doesn't he? Pewwww
I can't! You win.

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
Thats 1 site,

on rotten tomatoes

TFA = 8.2
TLJ = 8.1

Metacritic has 54 reviews for TFA while RT has 375

Metacritic also has 54 reviews for TLJ while RT has 346

So yea, metacritic is missing soooo many reviews from critics

So Metacritic is missing 0 reviews on TLJ compared to TFA.