• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Sentient6

Jan 31, 2020
User Warned: Derailing
Why are you guys so exited? It's an EA game, it's gonna be trash, trust me. You guys never learn.

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Why are you guys so exited? It's an EA game, it's gonna be trash, trust me. You guys never learn.
200.gif

TitlePending

The Fallen
Dec 26, 2018

Your skepticism is understandable, but the details shared from the Polygon interview (as discussed at length in this thread already) give me a great deal of reason to be optimistic.
  1. No microtransactions or season passes
  2. Clear upgrade progression path
  3. Full VR support from Day 1
  4. Actual sub-system management like the PC games
  5. Said upgrades are not just straight improvements from earlier versions
So, we have a lot of things like that. It's something I'm proud of in the game. We don't just have, you know, "My lasers do 5% more damage!" No, it's chunky stuff — even for the passives — that make a real difference.

There's a hull you can take on some of the ships, a Reflec Hull, that makes you more fragile, like straight up reduces your hit points on the ship, the whole hull health of the ship. But it automatically stealths you, hides you from enemy radar after you get past a certain distance. So it's the kind of thing that can really help you get behind enemy lines, or surprise them, or just get away. There's lots of stuff like that, both for the passives and actives, that help that issue you're talking about, that fatigue. "Every fight is the same!" Well, once you have all seven different slots on your ship for different components plus, you know, the other four members of your team who all can take their own things, suddenly you get a lot more variety and a lot more to keep track of, even in a core dogfight, let alone the Fleet Battle mode.

And it's only $40 so a lower barrier to entry.

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Tell me the last good EA game?
What is "good"?
You mean games I personally enjoyed? I really love Battlefront 2 for example, that's a fun Star Wars pew pew game.
Fallen Order was a fun one time playthrough via EA Access as was Anthem.

Just kinda think it's childish to dismiss something cause it has a name on it you don't like.
EA on the box has nothing to do with the product in the end.

Sentient6

Jan 31, 2020
Fallen order is a terrible game.
Battlefront is the classic EA fps dead in 3 Weeks.
Are we serious talking about Anthem?

VonGreckler

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Fallen order is a terrible game.
Battlefront is the classic EA fps dead in 3 Weeks.
Are we serious talking about Anthem?

Fallen Order is a good game.
Battlefront 2 still has a very large player-base 3 years after launch, and they added in almost another games worth of content for free over those 3 years so not sure where you are getting dead from.
He didn't say anthem was fantastic he said it was fun enough for a one time play-through.

Wild how opinions work

McNum

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Denmark
Official word is that because VR is so distracting, it evens out.

*shrug*
I could see the argument that since the instruments are actually used in the game, tracking a foe with your head to line up a shot means you aren't looking at you shield meter or laser charge gauge. In 2D, those are always on screen.

But really, when you get good, you don't need to look at the instruments as much anymore. You'll just have a feel for "how much can I shoot" and "how much more damage can I take".

VR probably has the steeper learning curve, but also the higher ceiling simply due to superior visibility and being able to track the enemy off-screen.

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
I could see the argument that since the instruments are actually used in the game, tracking a foe with your head to line up a shot means you aren't looking at you shield meter or laser charge gauge. In 2D, those are always on screen.

But really, when you get good, you don't need to look at the instruments as much anymore. You'll just have a feel for "how much can I shoot" and "how much more damage can I take".

VR probably has the steeper learning curve, but also the higher ceiling simply due to superior visibility and being able to track the enemy off-screen.
You also have to move your head to look at your radar for example

4Tran

Nov 4, 2017
To please everyone, why not in SP mode have the option for 3rd person view with Rouge Squadron type missions and then for MP force 1st person view!

Also i cant seem them doing any DLC for this if there not doing micro transactions in the base game, there'd be no incentive for them to do this unless they charge for the DLC which is always a bad idea as it splits the player base!
Squadrons is a love letter to X-Wing and TIE Fighter; it's highly unlikely that they're going to make it control like a different game. Now if it makes you feel better, TIE Fighter did have a 3rd person mode, but it didn't have the targeting reticle, the radar, or any of the cockpit interface so it was completely useless.

VR + a flight stick is going to be domination.

The only mitigation is if your weapons always fire center of the screen, lots of PC monitors have those crosshairs you can enable.
The game is going to be like a light flight simulator so VR is only going to work like a fancy hat switch. You can do pretty much the same thing with a decent flight stick or just using keyboard commands. Controllers might be at a disadvantage, but they were going to be at a disadvantage to begin with.

If Squadrons works like X-Wing (and it certainly looks like it does), all of your guns are going to be fixed so you're going to fire at the center of the screen. They will be offset though depending on where they are mounted on your craft (so X-Wings will fire on the four corners of the targeting reticle); probably with some level of convergence.

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Squadrons is a love letter to X-Wing and TIE Fighter; it's highly unlikely that they're going to make it control like a different game. Now if it makes you feel better, TIE Fighter did have a 3rd person mode, but it didn't have the targeting reticle, the radar, or any of the cockpit interface so it was completely useless.

The game is going to be like a light flight simulator so VR is only going to work like a fancy hat switch. You can do pretty much the same thing with a decent flight stick or just using keyboard commands. Controllers might be at a disadvantage, but they were going to be at a disadvantage to begin with.

If Squadrons works like X-Wing (and it certainly looks like it does), all of your guns are going to be fixed so you're going to fire at the center of the screen. They will be offset though depending on where they are mounted on your craft (so X-Wings will fire on the four corners of the targeting reticle); probably with some level of convergence.
They did say that the ships have different convergence. An X-Wing thereby has a different engagement range than say a Tie Fighter or an A-Wing.

Kharnete

Has Hecht’s Number
Oct 25, 2017
While X-wing Alliance had automatic convergence, you could also change it on the fly to various pre-fixed distances on the ships who had a more "spread" weaponry. It was very situational, but if we don't have automatic convergence would be a neat detail to be able to adjust it, in the vein of most WW2 simulators. Not expecting it at all, tho :P

Squirrel09

Nov 4, 2017
Tell me the last good EA game?
Fallen Order (you say it's a bad game, It was my game of the year)
Apex Legends
Battle front 1 & 2. (1 was good, 2 is great and still very active)
A way out
Burnout Paradise Remaster
Titan Fall 2
Command and Conquer Remastered
Unravel 1&2
Sims 4
Plants vs Zombies (Both versions!)
Battlefield 1
battlefield 4

Obviously these aren't all 10/10 games. But they are all good, which is what you asked. But none of this matters to you anyways i'm sure.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm torn. I see there's oculus support but no quest(?).

I can get the PSVR around me, but the Quest will be restocked soon. But these PSVR exclusives. Shit.

McNum

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Denmark
Turbolasers are no joke. Those are the big batteries on either side of the Star Destroyer, the ones with four barrels each. Not much use for picking off starfighters at knife fight range, but if you're far away and moving predictably, I'd be disppointed if you didn't get oneshot by a Turbolaser. It's what they do.

I remember one of the X-Wing or TIE Fighter games where Lambda Shuttles were terrifying. They gave them asinge Turbolaser cannon. They just wiped out starfighters in one or two hits.