Oct 25, 2017
Any way to get Dualshock 4 button prompts when using a DS4 through the Origin version ? Only way I can get the DS4 working is by using DS4windows, but all the prompts are for Xbox controllers.
I'm using a DS4 via USB with no additional software. I remember that it didn't work instantly, but after I hit the first button prompt on my keyboard, the pad started working.

If you use something that emulates a 360 pad, the game is gonna give you 360 prompts so try turning all that off.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Finished the first chapter, I supposed it's called. Very good, shades of Uncharted with some quality Jedi saber work. It feels good, and even on the second-easiest setting you need to try - can't button mash your way through this one. Great story telling.

First impressions are good.

MattyG

Oct 25, 2017
Without spoilers, am I supposed to have
fixed BD-1's hand on that first planet? Or does that not come until later? I keep trying to open those boxes he needs to slice but it tells me he needs that part to be fixed

Isee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I was complaining about the "second" planet Zeffo yesterday. It was pretty doll for nearly two hours, but it opened up after getting an additional force power and droid ability. Opened up a lot. I was exploring for 3.5 hours and had a lot of fun. Planet is exploration is now at 50%... This place is huge, but I need more force powers to open up new ways.
Feels good.

Spartan

Nov 14, 2018
Dirty drivers. Bad for my mental health.

Anyway, seeing posts in the thread now about PS4 performance validates my decision to not play any games on day one. Probably gonna wait for a minimum of two patches before I jump in. FM19 keeping me busy in the meantime.
The game is already on ver. 1.02, while the last one improved on 1.01 frame rate, it's nowhere near acceptable for a proper "Performance Mode".

Xiaomi

Oct 25, 2017
Man that intro to (4th planet) Kashyyyk is so fucking good.

Also I am mesmerized by Greez's mutton chops. They look great.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
I wanted to share some screenshots to the PSN ResetEra community, but I seem to have lost all of my communities. I know I had this one, a few for GTA, a Final Fantasy XV one. I know this is a bit off topic but has this ever happened to anyone else? I did recently change my password, hmm....

sharkkiee

Aug 6, 2018
Really bad with heavy stutters. I mostly played on Performance mode and I am willing to wager that it sits on just above 40 most places.
I have only played about a hour or so, I can't believe how bad this is on the X....I don't have a 4k tv and set it to performance mode and it don't even look like it's outputting at 1080p to me with all the settings turned off...very disappointed so far with how choppy the game is and like usual the reviews barely mentioning any performance issues..

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
Okay finally got a chance to play. Im playing on Jedi Grand Master. So far the game doesn't feel that challenging but im only on the 3rd planet. However, it does feel a little unfair. The controls do not seem as responsive for the parry window given and dodging feel like it is a tad delayed. Also it appears that enemies do not get staggered when hit, yet Cal does. I had an enemy hit Cal and either it was a heavy hit or Cal is just weak because he became unresponsive and got hit 2 more times. Also getting hit off screen by blaster fire is annoying.
Music is great, locations so far are detailed and interesting. Maybe I just need more time to get used to the combat.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
GoW dodging was terrific. This, not so much.

On PC, I remapped it to middle mouse click which helped my response time a bit.

Yea, everything in this game regarding combat is good, just a little sloppy. Some jank. Like if you Force slow an enemy in certain animations you can't damage them, or your character not properly dodging at times. Nothing is egregious but there is that tiny lack of polish that shines through, especially when timing is really important.

RingRang

Alt account banned
Banned
Oct 2, 2019
Once again I've learned to never trust people who claim to be frame rate sensitive and offer impressions on forums. There were comments over the past couple days from people claiming the performance mode on the PS4 Pro offered a mostly smooth 60fps experience. Within 5 minutes of playing the game I could tell that was not true.

It feels like it only touches 60 during very quiet moments, but it's often below that.

What's really disappointing is even the 30fps mode isn't a locked 30. It's mostly fine, but there are drops there too. It would be really great to see patch 1.03 show up soon and clean up some of this technical jank, but I won't be holding my breath. It definitely feels like they needed another month of polishing but EA wasn't interested in a delay.

Deleted member 7777

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So I think I got to the end of the first planet (where you first see frogs) and encountered a bigger meaner mini-boss frog. I'm really struggling.

Can I go smack him to get my xp back then skip the encounter for now? Or do I need to beat it to proceed?

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
So I think I got to the end of the first planet (where you first see frogs) and encountered a bigger meaner mini-boss frog. I'm really struggling.

Can I go smack him to get my xp back then skip the encounter for now? Or do I need to beat it to proceed?
Frog miniboss is optional. You should be able to give him a smack then run like hell. He's not too tough once you get his parry timing down though (though I'm playing on Master, not Grand Master).

Psychotron

Oct 26, 2017
Once again I've learned to never trust people who claim to be frame rate sensitive and offer impressions on forums. There were comments over the past couple days from people claiming the performance mode on the PS4 Pro offered a mostly smooth 60fps experience. Within 5 minutes of playing the game I could tell that was not true.

It feels like it only touches 60 during very quiet moments, but it's often below that.

What's really disappointing is even the 30fps mode isn't a locked 30. It's mostly fine, but there are drops there too.

I've seen some fps videos on youtube and it shows the game staying firmly around 45 fps, with drops to 35 in some spots. Seems like that would be a stuttering nightmare for me.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA

Frog miniboss is optional. You should be able to give him a smack then run like hell. He's not too tough once you get his parry timing down though (though I'm playing on Master, not Grand Master).

And dodge his unblockable attacks (when he glows red) to the side, not backwards. You can also slow it down at the right time, dodge, then cut off its tongue

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany

What's really disappointing is even the 30fps mode isn't a locked 30. It's mostly fine, but there are drops there too. It would be really great to see patch 1.03 show up soon and clean up some of this technical jank, but I won't be holding my breath. It definitely feels like they needed another month of polishing but EA wasn't interested in a delay.

+washed out HDR and a loose right stick deadzone which makes it feel awful to control the camera

performance mode is super awful on the Pro for sure,it has major framepacing issues.
resolution mode is better but still chugs too often for my liking

this one had to go out for x-mas sales, polishing be damned

Last edited:

Cascadero

Nov 8, 2017
Started playing tonight on ps4 pro. Game looks fantastic, first level was a lot of fun. Story is not great but keeps the interest going so far.

Gero

Oct 28, 2017
any news on performance patches? i know the game just came out but still. Dont want to play it with these issues.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Mmm. These long respawn times on PS4 are killing me. Are they a second or two on PC? Might just burn the $70 I spent on PS4 and switch to PC if the load times / respawn times are just a second instead of 15-20.

Edit: Also, the camera when enemies close in may be the worst of the generation, no feedback via rumble, no nothing - you just end up not being to see anything going on and guessing to dodge or run or do anything in the vain hopes of being able to see what you're doing again before you die.

Edit 2, more jank: Also some monsters live through five or six hits even when their health is at zero because they started an animation before they "died". But they can still kill you in that time. Even though you see them die right after. Oooo this shit's janky baby

Last edited:

Moves

Oct 27, 2017
Had a blast, did the first world after the prologue last night.. still exploring around collecting what I can.

I think I need to finish Death Stranding before I continue though so I'm not juggling too many games.

Mcfrank

Oct 28, 2017
WTF - Best Buy still has not sent me my download code. But now I can't cancel it and get it some where else and still get the orange saber. This is fucking annoying.

Zappy

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
+washed out HDR and a loose right stick deadzone which makes it feel awful to control the camera

performance mode is super awful on the Pro for sure,it has major framepacing issues.

Digital Foundry and EvilBoris say HDR is great?

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017
PC users, can we remap controls in game? I think I'm swapping X for RB so that the attack is on the shoulders. Thoughts?

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
Really glad to see it's being received well. I expected it seeing as it's Respawn but was worried because of EA. Might pick it up tonight on Steam!

JasonV

Oct 25, 2017
Was really looking forward to this but everything is sort of disappointing/annoying.

The combat doesn't feel good. Its not smooth, the dodge is weird, the animations of the enemies aren't great. The climbing/navigation is boring. Its just uncharted/tomb raider stuff again and feels like busy work. The environments dont have that intricate feel of the souls type games, or the encouraging exploration of the metroid stuff. Its just bland. The story seems ok but none of the characters are really arresting. And the load times are rough (PS4), just really enthusiasm killing.

Kinda of a bummer, was looking forward to this one :(

And thank god for EB 7 day return.

VFX_Veteran

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Best looking game this generation on the PC @4k Ultra. I expected this because those assets look like they had a lot of help from ILM. Easily the successor to SW:1313

Xevross

Oct 28, 2017
Oh man the story really picks up. What a fantastic game this is. I truly believe it'd be 90+ if it weren't for the technical issues, and there was a bit more polish in the combat.

RingRang

Alt account banned
Banned
Oct 2, 2019

The HDR looks fine on my Samsung KS8000, and I've got no issue with the right stick.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Was really looking forward to this but everything is sort of disappointing/annoying.

The combat doesn't feel good. Its not smooth, the dodge is weird, the animations of the enemies aren't great. The climbing/navigation is boring. Its just uncharted/tomb raider stuff again and feels like busy work. The environments dont have that intricate feel of the souls type games, or the encouraging exploration of the metroid stuff. Its just bland. The story seems ok but none of the characters are really arresting. And the load times are rough (PS4), just really enthusiasm killing.

Kinda of a bummer, was looking forward to this one :(

And thank god for EB 7 day return.

I don't think the combat is quite that bad, but I think this could have benefited greatly with another three or four months of polish focusing on nothing else but combat and camera during combat. As much as I am enjoying it, I am finding myself having to work around the jank and sloppiness like an early gen game, not a game that is coming out as the generation concludes and there are tons of games with similar combat and gameplay to reference.