• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Aldro

Jun 5, 2020
Sweden
f0b0363dd32db6537a48c08bd7f10c1479de9069.gifv

I like the animation touch that Miles actually flails when he releases from his sling, compared to how more naturally Pete's was in the PS4 release. Hoping that as the game goes along they actually include it in the animation the Miles gets more confident in his swinging.
Noo, don't touch it. His style should be unique and less restricted/stiff/traditional.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I'm really not ready to transition over to Miles as the protagonist yet. What about the Harry and Norman teases from the end of the first game? Are we just letting that plotline drop?

udivision

Oct 25, 2017
I'm really not ready to transition over to Miles as the protagonist yet. What about the Harry and Norman teases from the end of the first game? Are we just letting that plotline drop?
That could be a sideplot or some sort of 3rd game thing with Venom and the like.
Unless Venom is something that incapacitates Peter in this game...

Oct 26, 2017
Mushroom Kingdom
Turnaround time + No "2" in the title + the fact that Insomniac isn't that huge of a studio compared to other AAA devs. Just makes sense it's smaller in scope. The only reason Ubisoft and Activision are able to spit out new Assassin's Creeds and CoDs every year (or even two) is because they have giant studios that are alternating production each game.

Yeah either way. I'm so excited. Can't believe the mad lads are doing it. Launching with Spidey was my breaking point... and they did it

No, it's not calling everything a sham. I don't know where you got that.

I just said that a cross-gen game in essence has nothing to do with the fact that it is actually released for old consoles or not. A cross-gen game is a game that is not built around the strengths and weaknesses of a new generation, but rather turns up some sliders so it can take advantage of the new console.

This is in no way a sham, but people who are trying to imply that this game is going to push the PS5 to its limits just because it won't release on the PS4 are exercising some very faulty logic.

Thats not what a cross-gen game is though. I know what you are implying, but there is a pretty clear cut definition on what a cross-gen game is.

Also, you said:

If you build a game that could run on PS4 and refuse to release it doesn't change the fact that the game is built on a PS4 engine.

I'm saying thats presumptuous.^ Engines are iterative and just because the foundation of it was built on the PS4 doesn't mean this new game being made and released on the PS5 can & should be released on the PS4 even when we don't have a clue if it would be able to run on a PS4 lol

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
That could be a sideplot or some sort of 3rd game thing with Venom and the like.
Unless Venom is something that incapacitates Peter in this game...

It would be really, really shitty to have Miles fight Venom-Harry. He has no history with the Osborns or Harry - Peter has to be the one who takes Norman down and saves his best friend. Miles can obviously be involved, but that's Peter's story, not his.

I mean, this is basically a Gaiden Game/Midquel. They're obviously going to follow up on the Osborn storyline in the numbered sequel.

Hopefully it's sooner rather than later. :/

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah either way. I'm so excited. Can't believe the mad lads are doing it. Launching with Spidey was my breaking point... and they did it
Yeah, I think I'd actually prefer a smaller experience this close to to the last one. I'm all for a tighter experience. Plus imagine how much better a full fledged sequel would be after getting used to the PS5 with this under their belt.

udivision

Oct 25, 2017
It would be really, really shitty to have Miles fight Venom-Harry. He has no history with the Osborns or Harry - Peter has to be the one who takes Norman down and saves his best friend. Miles can obviously be involved, but that's Peter's story, not his.

I was thinking more along the lines of Miles taking down Peter.

But I agree, I'd want the Osborn saga to be Peter's story in his own game.

Oct 26, 2017
Mushroom Kingdom
I mean.. I wouldn't read that much into the "leaks".
They got the year wrong, and I doubt that Miles is just gonna be playable for certain sections when the entire game is named after him.

I meant that Peter would probably be playable for parts of the game just like vice-versa in SpideyPS4.

I like the animation touch that Miles actually flails when he releases from his sling, compared to how more naturally Pete's was in the PS4 release. Hoping that as the game goes along they actually include it in the animation the Miles gets more confident in his swinging.

Holy shit at the density. This makes me laugh harder at the "its like a PS4 game" responses. I think its now more a testament to how good Spidey PS4 looked lmao

Oct 27, 2017
ATL
Man, that 4K trailer made all the difference. The poor stream quality really hurt the visual display of this game. I was like, I know this is a next--gen game, but I have a hard time making out the details that demonstrate that. The direct-feed footage rectifies all of that.

I'm super excited for this. Mile Morales is an awesome spider-man, also "Into The Spiderverse" is definitely in my top 5 super hero movies of all time.

Sou Da

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if they're going to acknowledge that Peter made Miles' costume by crossing over with the comic book version of the character and stealing the design.

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
well, it was a short trailer but most gameplay elements looked very familiar. Graphical update aside, it wouldn't surprise me if this is more of a Spider-Man 1.5.
Oh it is definitely the same map under the snow.
The number of vehicles is greatly increased.
It is definitely more a 1.5 but they had enough time to make it as long as the first one. They will probably duplicates side missions for it.

My point is just to say that a game of this caliber is very welcome at launch, even if it is "just" a 1.5.

Spork4000

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
It doesn't matter though. Considering the video and the short dev time and that another Insomniac game is the flagship of the PS5 hardware, it sure looks like this game is running the exact same engine SM was running on. That is essentially cross-gen.

If you build a game that could run on PS4 and refuse to release it doesn't change the fact that the game is built on a PS4 engine.

I would love to be wrong, but I am willing to bet on it that this is the case.

Do....do you know what a game engine actually is? Ratchet and Clank is probably running on the same engine too with upgrades for PS5.

Tetsujin

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
With Spidey being based in Manhattan I wonder if the fast turnaround is simply because they can recycle most of the open world assets from the first game. No point in rebuilding New York from the ground up for every game, right?

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
Game engines are iterative.
Yep.
And people forgot a lot of dev times goes throught gameplay. Here, combat and especially swinging.
And the map is already there too. Adding snow to it isn't that easy but it is incomparable too making a new map.
A lot of works is already done.

With that being said, nothing of what we saw is impossible to make on PS4.
They really missed the opportunity to show a big increase of free fall and swinging speed.

cb1115

Oct 25, 2017

i absolutely love what they've done with the colors. it looks so much more distinct and comic book-y than the original game

and yeah the animation work as a whole looks like a step up as well, no real surprise there

Oct 26, 2017
Mushroom Kingdom
EaRMrhNUcAEF5Ht

hnng

Yeah, I think I'd actually prefer a smaller experience this close to to the last one. I'm all for a tighter experience. Plus imagine how much better a full fledged sequel would be after getting used to the PS5 with this under their belt.

I'm assuming some of the leaks were true and they are putting more stock into animation/swinging, physics, making the map much bigger, improve AI- - all over graphical fidelity. Just seems like a natural evolution and ideally you would want to set all that up before you do the "full-fledged" sequel.

And not to say it looks bad. The 4k upgrade alone is probably a big thing + density + particle/snow/weather effects.

I don't know about people saying it not being a "full fledged" sequel or its going to be a smaller experience. I'm asumming its going to be just as big and meaty as S1. The plot of us growing up with Miles to be his own full fledged Spiderman

Then the sequel to this being a co-op spidey game *pipe dreams*

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
I'm surprised we are getting this in half a year and we didn't see any gameplay. Hopefully in the coming weeks Sony gives us more information on these games.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
why would u even assume this lol

Because if Miles is the main character they're not gonna have him fight Norman Osborn or rescue Harry. That's Peter's story, not Miles'.

So either they're abandoning that arc entirely or we have to wait for a third game to get to it. I don't want to wait another four or five years for the setup I already GOT to get paid off.

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA

No...this is a Miles game, they'll pick up those plotlines in the next one. Probably some small developments and teases in this. I doubt Peter is like barely in it, maybe even playable in some parts who knows.

Zaied

Oct 27, 2017
also of note: they didn't alter Miles' costume all that much. good call though.
It's part of the narrative, which is neat. In Spider-Geddon, Insomniac Peter meets Miles from the comics and decides to use the design of his costume for his Miles. I think it's one of the few instances ever of the main canon interpretation of a character directly influencing a "non-canon" counterpart through the story. Hopefully we get a cutscene or something of Peter explaining the events of Spider-Geddon to Miles.

Shin-Ra

Nov 1, 2017
The temptation must've been strong for those in the know to say the next Spidey's not Miles away from launch.

cb1115

Oct 25, 2017
It's part of the narrative, which is neat. In Spider-Geddon, Insomniac Peter meets Miles from the comics and decides to use the design of his costume for his Miles. I think it's one of the few instances ever of the main canon interpretation of a character directly influencing a "non-canon" counterpart through the story. Hopefully we get a cutscene or something of Peter explaining the events of Spider-Geddon to Miles.
oh wow, had no idea. that's pretty damn cool though.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
EaRMrhNUcAEF5Ht

hnng

I'm assuming some of the leaks were true and they are putting more stock into animation/swinging, physics, making the map much bigger, improve AI- - all over graphical fidelity. Just seems like a natural evolution and ideally you would want to set all that up before you do the "full-fledged" sequel.

And not to say it looks bad. The 4k upgrade alone is probably a big thing + density + particle/snow/weather effects.

I don't know about people saying it not being a "full fledged" sequel or its going to be a smaller experience. I'm asumming its going to be just as big and meaty as S1. The plot of us growing up with Miles to be his own full fledged Spiderman

Then the sequel to this being a co-op spidey game *pipe dreams*
Yeah I'm with you on this being a meaty package. The world is already set up in SM1. They just need to do more auxiliary touches and improve the scope, but I expect this to be about the same length as the first game.

zeuanimals

Nov 23, 2017
I meant that Peter would probably be playable for parts of the game just like vice-versa in SpideyPS4.

Holy shit at the density. This makes me laugh harder at the "its like a PS4 game" responses. I think its now more a testament to how good Spidey PS4 looked lmao

Yeah, it actually looks like Manhattan with all of those cars. There were plenty in the PS4 game at once, but not like this. The first game could also render a decent amount of people but if they're gonna pull off Christmas in Manhattan and the crowds associated with that, this console was probably a god send. If Macy Gray doesn't show up singing during a parade, no buy from me.

danhz

Apr 20, 2018
As a person that didnt really like spiderman, it looked really cool, if they can improve the side content, id be pretty happy.

zeuanimals

Nov 23, 2017
Yeah I'm with you on this being a meaty package. The world is already set up in SM1. They just need to do more auxiliary touches and improve the scope, but I expect this to be about the same length as the first game.

What are the chances we get DLC over many years for this game? So instead of making a Spider-man 2, they just expand on this one? There's really no point in making Manhattan all over again unless they actually feel this one isn't up to snuff. That'd save on disc space too since you don't need two completely separate game files that share almost all of the same assets.

魑魅魍魎

Oct 25, 2017
This just hit me, there will be 3 marvel comic games coming out this year and 2 of the 3 are PlayStation exclusive. whoa.

Chasing

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I'm coming to the realisation now we're seeing a second Spider-Man game before we even had a glimpse of Batman lol.