• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

RevengeTaken

Banned
Aug 12, 2018
Phil Spencer, now head of all things gaming at Microsoft, was recently interviewed by Fortune Magazine. Over the long (40+ minutes) 1-to-1 video Q&A, Spencer frankly admitted the struggles that Microsoft head with their first party output in recent years and vowed to do better through a variety of improvements.
And I think the power of content, I see it every day, the things that people come to Xbox…very few people turn on their Xbox to stare at the dashboard. People turn on their Xbox to go play games, and I think us having a strong first party Xbox means when I think about Xbox, I'm going to think about quality games. We have work to do there. We haven't done our best work over the last few years with our first party output.

We made a conscious effort to invest in our first party. I think some of that is standing on stage and announcing the acquisition studios, some it's the hiring that we're doing at the studios that we already have. Some of it is ensuring that we have the right amount of time and we're able to focus. Some of that is just, you know, the autonomy that I have in running the games organization now under Satya that allows us to look at game development for what it is. It is this weird mix of technology and art as well. And it's not always easy to schedule those things and ensure we have the time to get things right. And that hasn't always been true in the organization, but I feel good about that. I know our fans want to see us do better and the teams are completely aligned behind that desire.
more at link

jrDev

Banned
Mar 2, 2018
Phil Spencer, now head of all things gaming at Microsoft, was recently interviewed by Fortune Magazine. Over the long (40+ minutes) 1-to-1 video Q&A, Spencer frankly admitted the struggles that Microsoft head with their first party output in recent years and vowed to do better through a variety of improvements.

more at link
What?

rokkerkory

Banned
Jun 14, 2018
Will read but yes they have a lot of work to do in this space. Wished the 40 min interview had audio

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Similar to what I said in the other thread, any game can have its fans. I for one LOVE recore. But having an overall "higher quality" brand is just better for everyone. Even if your favorite games this gen have been CD3, Sea of Thieves, and State of Decay. Such a move is going to be great to see.

Oct 25, 2017
Milwaukee, WI
I remember the past few years of people saying Phil Spencer hasn't made any meaningful changes at Xbox.
Well, it takes a long time for a new CEO to get his philosophy across and when you read interviews like this
you can point directly to decisions he's made that back up those ideas. That's the most exciting thing about
him - it's still marketing speak BUT it comes from a genuine vision. Right or wrong, there's a unified presence.

Silky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Georgia
Write Insomniac the fattest fucking check and give Ted Price the finest big and tall tailor that man needs for Sunset Overdrive 2

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Got it. Anyway I'm more inclined to believe these statements from Spencer than I have been before, because he's actually been backing up the talk with substantial action.

Yeah. I think he always meant what he said, but it's not easy to produce AAA games. I've been dissatisfied with their first part output outside of a few games, but they should turn it around starting with Gears 5 and then when Infinite launches with Scarlett.

Ratazk

Oct 27, 2017
Similar to what I said in the other thread, any game can have its fans. I for one LOVE recore. But having an overall "higher quality" brand is just better for everyone. Even if your favorite games this gen have been CD3, Sea of Thieves, and State of Decay. Such a move is going to be great to see.

Exactly this. Every game has its fans-- I recall seeing some threads here about Crackdown 3 being someone's GOTY contender. So much of this is in the eye of the beholder, but I don't think it's controversial to say the quality of MS' first-party output has lagged far behind its competition.

Like... you only get one opportunity to make a good first impression. How many games did MS release that were incomplete/rushed this gen?

It's nice that Phil can acknowledge the problem. I'm glad they have invested in studios. I'm definitely skeptical of several of the acquisitions, but with the resources/time MS seems willing to give said studios, I have to believe next gen will see a marked increase in terms of quality and diversity.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
I agree. I switched to Playstation at the end of last gen because I had my fill of Gears, Halo, and Forza. Excited to see what Ninja Theory does next the most.

Deleted member 57990

User requested account closure
Banned
Jun 18, 2019
Most of the first party games MS has put out this gen haven't been exactly bad, per se, they just haven't really captured gamers' imaginations and gone above and beyond what was expected of them in the way Sony's have. Most have been percieved as middle-of-the-road and inessential, or just a rehash of what MS did last gen. Plus there's their reputation of being unfinished or otherwise lacking in quality control.

I'm glad I bothered to get Xbox One because I've really enjoyed the likes of Re:Core, Sunset Overdrive, the Forza Horizons etc., and Ori and the Blind Forest is a downright modern classic. Even the couple of days I spent completing Crackdown 3 via Game Pass wasn't completely devoid of pleasure.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah. I think he always meant what he said, but it's not easy to produce AAA games. I've been dissatisfied with their first part output outside of a few games, but they should turn it around starting with Gears 5 and then when Infinite launches with Scarlett.
I really hope so. What he said about tech and art lining up right made me think of the new God of War for some reason. The behind the scenes on that made me realize more than ever that some part of it all coming together and not being a goddamn mess requires a pinch of miracle. It's crazy.

Azurik

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
For me, Xbox is still miles away from meaning quality. Their hardware certainly is quality, no doubt, but the games are definitely not. As a whole package, Xbox has been a big disappointment this gen. Next gen will be much better and Spencer has done an amazing job with the Xbox one train wreck

tutomos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Xbox fans are satisfied with the output it seems. I'd say they don't need to change a thing, just keep doing what they were doing.

R dott B

Oct 27, 2017
They have a lot of work to do to the first party.

The hardware specifically the controllers also need work because they have poor build quality.

Bitch Pudding

Oct 25, 2017
Xbox fans are satisfied with the output it seems. I'd say they don't need to change a thing, just keep doing what they were doing.

Xbox fans or loyalists are not enough to compete on this market. They really have to step up their game. Not only did MS fail to deliver something which came even close in becoming a GOTY contender in the last 10 years, they also failed to develop a SINGLE IP which can hold a candle to their H-F-G trifecta. And no, buying Minecraft doesn't count...

Spencer is preaching this games! story for years now, so no wonder people do not give him the benefit of the doubt anymore.

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017
Interesting interview. I definitely trust the leadership of Satya and Phil. Looking forward to MS next gen plans...and that incoming Japanese dev announcement. :)

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
I'm an Xbox fan and first-party has been a disappointment to me for the most part. I'm looking forward to next gen.

They have a lot of work to do to the first party.

The hardware specifically the controllers also need work because they have poor build quality.
Disagree. Elite controller is hand down the best controller this gen.

Governergrimm

Jun 25, 2019
He's been candid about their need to improve first party. He talks about acquisitions and expanding studios in the interview.

Keep going on their current trajectory of acquisitions that make sense, building first party studios, putting them on Gamepass and giving studios the time and resources to build what they want? Yeah it's a great plan for me as a fan.

Seganomics

Oct 29, 2017
Xbox fans or loyalists are not enough to compete on this market. They really have to step up their game. Not only did MS fail to deliver something which came even close in becoming a GOTY contender in the last 10 years, they also failed to develop a SINGLE IP which can hold a candle to their H-F-G trifecta. And no, buying Minecraft doesn't count...

Spencer is preaching this games! story for years now, so no wonder people do not give him the benefit of the doubt anymore.

PC is a big step for MS.
My young nephews that had a PS4 Pro and VR gifted to them are already building PC's of their own. The younger generation seem more ready to take to PC gaming than previously. There is a big audience there, an audience which won't be buying Sony games.

Sotha_Sil

Nov 4, 2017
Everything coming up looks better than the past six years.

Minecraft Dungeons, Flight Simulator, Ori and the WotW, Psychonauts 2, Age of Empires 2 DE, etc.

Expecting big/good things from Obsidian, Playground, Double Fine and Ninja Theory.

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017
He's been candid about their need to improve first party. He talks about acquisitions and expanding studios in the interview.

Keep going on their current trajectory of acquisitions that make sense, building first party studios, putting them on Gamepass and giving studios the time and resources to build what they want? Yeah it's a great plan for me as a fan.
Definitely and with all the new developer hires, developer acquisitions and even more to come they'll hopefully end up with a very good mix/variety of games next gen. I think they'll also continue building new studios from the ground up around top industry talent.
Everything coming up looks better than the past six years.

Minecraft Dungeons, Flight Simulator, Ori and the WotW, Psychonauts 2, Age of Empires 2 DE, etc.

Expecting big/good things from Obsidian, Playground, Double Fine and Ninja Theory.
This.

The Struggler

Alt Account
Banned
Jul 3, 2019
At least he acknowledges it but he also did that 4-5 years ago and nothing really changed. Hope the change is real this time

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is encouraging news, Phil has turned around Xbox, bolstered its first party (and will continue to do so), sorted out the hardware etc but hearing him personally admit quality isn't there all the time is highly reassuring.

Thanks, can't wait to watch this when I'm back from holiday.

TheBaldwin

Feb 25, 2018
I remember the past few years of people saying Phil Spencer hasn't made any meaningful changes at Xbox.
Well, it takes a long time for a new CEO to get his philosophy across and when you read interviews like this
you can point directly to decisions he's made that back up those ideas. That's the most exciting thing about
him - it's still marketing speak BUT it comes from a genuine vision. Right or wrong, there's a unified presence.

Ceetainly. And for my money phil has delivered on many of his promises. Xbox services are top notch, focus on gaming and power at reasonable prices, top notch online and deals, and not focused unity and services for PC gamers. So all these things hes been saying over the last few years have been delivered

The games are still lacking. And im happy phil realises that, because thats the main reason i still am yet to buy an xbox instead of just using my brothers. Playstation still just has the dominating presence with its stellar first party triple a output and still having some japenese games ( persona and yakuza) exclusive to its platform.

OG_Thrills

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I know that to some Phil Spencer's word is gospel and I don't want to challenge their belief but this guy talks a lot and I'm more of a "You got to show me" kinda gamer.

Governergrimm

Jun 25, 2019
At least he acknowledges it but he also did that 4-5 years ago and nothing really changed. Hope the change is real this time
Look at the difference in studio numbers and teams actively developing for them. That is already huge difference. Now they need their studios to produce quality content which is easier said than done. But let's not pretend there hasn't been any movement in the last 5 years.

The Struggler

Alt Account
Banned
Jul 3, 2019
Look at the difference in studio numbers and teams actively developing for them. That is already huge difference. Now they need their studios to produce quality content which is easier said than done. But let's not pretend there hasn't been any movement in the last 5 years.
Great but the new studios they recently acquired are working on multiplats and the last AAA single player game that was announced for xbox was 5 years ago. Every year I hear "wait for E3, games are coming etc.

Great for studio acquisitions but again waiting prob up to 3+ years to see something relatively new. Im a little tired of waiting now, I hope good things come from xbox next gen though.