• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
How's the multiplayer in this game? I enjoyed the first game well enough, but my interest in this sequel is basically whether or not I can play it with my girlfriend and have a good time. Would we only need one copy?

I have a good time playing MP with my girlfriend locally.

I don't really think the game is designed well for multiplayer though. It either breaks the game (if you use local mp players as sacrifices, you can always get a chalice from kali) or makes it too hard (where local players always trigger stuff you don't want them to).

Sometimes there are scenarios where having another player really does screw you over. Like in the volcano level there are these platforms that fall if stepped on, and unless you both jump at the same time, you leave no way for the other player to progress.

Of course you can always use a bomb or rope, and you do get more bombs and ropes in co-op.... but the design isn't ideal.

Another example is if one player gets a jetpack, and the other doesn't... it sucks because the camera is tied to someone that's either flying around in the sky, or stuck on the ground. It can feel like playing as Tails in Sonic Mania. Basically, being player 2 just sucks a bit in this game.

We still have fun though, and even if player 2 does die it doesn't take too long to revive them.

Letters

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
And if I don't have certain item, then I'm totally fucked aren't I :)

Yeah not sure I have the patience for games like this anymore.
It's not like say, playing Hollow Knight with a single life. It's not about finishing it and moving on to the next thing on your backlog or checklist. This game is designed to be played over and over and feel fresh, fun and engaging every time with the layout randomizer, it's made to feel like the hundreds or thousands of runs you're doing are part one single big playthrough that takes years where you're learning something new with each run and always improving. Each new restart should not be feeling bad unless you're looking at it the wrong way. I used to ignore roguelikes until one day they clicked with me and is now I find it some of the best pure moment to moment gaming you can have.

Oct 25, 2017
Eh that's an issue but it's also just a legitimately harder game with harder requirements for the real ending as well. Lots of mechanics were made harder as well. The whip was nerfed, things in shops explode from gun shots as well as other explosions, robbing shopkeepers is more difficult, new enemy types are more difficult, the first biome is far more difficult etc.

It's still a major adjustment from 1 but even after that adjustment it's quite a bit harder.

I mean it would be somewhat disappointing if it wasn't a harder game with grander requirements. The first game has been out for 8 years now and many people have mastered every aspect of it. It was a humbling experience starting fresh and having to relearn many aspects of the game anew. After countless deaths in the mines I'm finally getting through the first 2 worlds somewhat reliably now.

It's not like say, playing Hollow Knight with a single life. It's not about finishing it and moving on to the next thing on your backlog or checklist. This game is designed to be played over and over and feel fresh, fun and engaging every time with the layout randomizer, it's made to feel like the hundreds or thousands of runs you're doing are part one single big playthrough that takes years where you're learning something new with each run and always improving. Each new restart should not be feeling bad unless you're looking at it the wrong way. I used to ignore roguelikes until one day they clicked with me and is now I find it some of the best pure moment to moment gaming you can have.

Well said. Game is very much about the journey, not the destination. A full play through (non speed run) of the first game takes 20-30 minutes once you know what you are doing. All the deaths that lead up to reaching that level of proficiency are part of the draw.

Last edited:

slothrop

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 28, 2019
USA
If I never played the original, is it worth diving into this first? Or does this game hinge on experience/references/nostalgia of the original?

Phinor

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone able to confirm if the game supports Ultra Wide resolutions?

No support for ultrawide. They cite gameplay reasons, it would be an advantage to see more than 16:9 users.

Blah is what I say. It's a singleplayer game for 99% of the players, who cares about advantages in this instance.

Oct 25, 2017
No support for ultrawide. They cite gameplay reasons, it would be an advantage to see more than 16:9 users.

Blah is what I say. It's a singleplayer game for 99% of the players, who cares about advantages in this instance.

It honestly would be quite an unfair advantage and everyone is ranked for score on the leaderboard regardless of it being single player.

GearDraxon

Oct 25, 2017
Played for about an hour this morning. It really is like starting Spelunky 1 all over again - obviously there are a lot of things that carry over, but the subtle differences make it feel just as "dangerous" as the first one (before you learned all the tricks.) So glad I avoided knowing anything about what's new - the fun of trying things out and having them backfire immediately is fantastic.

Obi

Oct 27, 2017
Just got it. Seems harder that the first one so far. I haven't even made it out of world one yet. I think the running all the time change is messing me up. Gonna try changing it back to walk by default. I'm so excited for new Spelunky stuff again!

Kyrona

Jul 9, 2020
I have a good time playing MP with my girlfriend locally.

I don't really think the game is designed well for multiplayer though. It either breaks the game (if you use local mp players as sacrifices, you can always get a chalice from kali) or makes it too hard (where local players always trigger stuff you don't want them to).

Sometimes there are scenarios where having another player really does screw you over. Like in the volcano level there are these platforms that fall if stepped on, and unless you both jump at the same time, you leave no way for the other player to progress.

Of course you can always use a bomb or rope, and you do get more bombs and ropes in co-op.... but the design isn't ideal.

Another example is if one player gets a jetpack, and the other doesn't... it sucks because the camera is tied to someone that's either flying around in the sky, or stuck on the ground. It can feel like playing as Tails in Sonic Mania. Basically, being player 2 just sucks a bit in this game.

We still have fun though, and even if player 2 does die it doesn't take too long to revive them.
MP in the first game was torture. I would die to my friends all the time and honestly it just started to feel bad because one of them was an ass who as soon as he died would try to murder everyone else, because it 'wasn't fun if he wasn't alive'

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
MP in the first game was torture. I would die to my friends all the time and honestly it just started to feel bad because one of them was an ass who as soon as he died would try to murder everyone else, because it 'wasn't fun if he wasn't alive'

Yeah, the ghost mechanic seems fun at first but then you realise it can be super annoying.

With that said, in the first game my buddy and I had a lot of fun with it, because we found this trick where if you found a wheel of prizes shop you could sit there all day and make infinite money. Normally the only issue with using it endlessly is that the ghost will come and kill you but if you have one player die and blow the ghost back at the store entrance, you can sit there for literally hours in a single stage. You can end up with virtually every item in the game and a lot of cash. It's pretty funny... and really breaks the game.

Legacy

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is more of a exploration roguelike right? I had an absolute blast with Hades last week

Letters

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
This is more of a exploration roguelike right? I had an absolute blast with Hades last week
Yeah, it's more about nice platforming and navigating a maze and paying attention to the many hazards/traps. It complements well a more combat oriented roguelike, specially one with different controls and perspective like Hades.

Last edited:

Shig

Oct 30, 2017
If I never played the original, is it worth diving into this first? Or does this game hinge on experience/references/nostalgia of the original?
They haven't really made a lot of changes to the basic gameplay between the two, and the second one has a steeper difficulty level.

If you really want to the second one first, I guess go ahead, it's not like the Spelunky 1 isn't hard too, but 2 has new layers of frustration.