• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Helmholtz

Feb 24, 2019
Canada
How's the multiplayer in this game? I enjoyed the first game well enough, but my interest in this sequel is basically whether or not I can play it with my girlfriend and have a good time. Would we only need one copy?

Zlug

Oct 1, 2018
OOOh shit forgot it was today, on my way to buy it, thanks

Deleted member 41178

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 18, 2018
How's the multiplayer in this game? I enjoyed the first game well enough, but my interest in this sequel is basically whether or not I can play it with my girlfriend and have a good time. Would we only need one copy?

Local Co-Op is on from day 1, online isn't available on PC at launch and I don't think a date has been set yet.

Vommy

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Nice, downloading now! Cheaper than expected. Loved the first one.

FHIZ

Oct 28, 2017
Me going in after a initially playing on PS4: "Okay, rust is off, I feel more confide-" and then I jumped into spikes on top of a bone stack on 1-1.

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Local co-op is currently in, so is Steam Remote Play. So you can play the local co-op mode even if the other player is on a remote computer. Only one person needs to own the game to use Steam Remote Play.

A native online co-op mode is coming too, as far as I know.

Helmholtz

Feb 24, 2019
Canada
Local co-op is currently in, so is Steam Remote Play. So you can play the local co-op mode even if the other player is on a remote computer. Only one person needs to own the game to use Steam Remote Play.

A native online co-op mode is coming too, as far as I know.
Local Co-Op is on from day 1, online isn't available on PC at launch and I don't think a date has been set yet.
Thanks for the info. Do you/anyone else have impressions of the local coop? Is it enjoyable? I can't remember if the first game had it. If so, is the sequel's better?

Jazzem

Feb 2, 2018
So tempted! Especially grateful to the team for having this one support unlocked frame rates this time :D

MrCibb

Dec 12, 2018
UK
Saw the thread title, opened up Steam, added to cart and purchased it all in the span of about 30 seconds. I'm fucking in! Loved the original, can't wait to give this a blast.

Letters

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Insta-bought the second the steam email notification arrived.

Have played for an hour and feel like I have died a hunded times on 1-1 already, loving every second!

Enjoy the ride guys, don't focus so much on how far you're getting.

Oct 25, 2017
Is it as hard as Spelunky 1? ...because if that is the case, I have plenty of yet-to-complete levels in that one.
The general feedback seems to suggest that it's even harder. Some who were very good at the first one are having a lot of trouble but often that's also what they enjoy about it.

It actually turned me off of the game. They made it sound like the sequel is for hardcore players of the first one, basically.

MrCheezball

Banned
Aug 3, 2018
That sucks about online coop not being available. Thats the sole reason I wanted to purchase this. Looks like I am holding off until it's in.

Deleted member 4367

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think some of the difficulty comes from unlearning a few things from Spelunky 1. That's at least my impression from watching a bunch of Spelunky 1 veterans.
Eh that's an issue but it's also just a legitimately harder game with harder requirements for the real ending as well. Lots of mechanics were made harder as well. The whip was nerfed, things in shops explode from gun shots as well as other explosions, robbing shopkeepers is more difficult, new enemy types are more difficult, the first biome is far more difficult etc.

It's still a major adjustment from 1 but even after that adjustment it's quite a bit harder.

PeterVenkman

Oct 25, 2017
bought it and put an hour in so far - so much new in world 1 that haven't gotten to the second yet.

those arrow traps are tough to spot now.

Biggad

Jul 3, 2018
Is this game demanding in a pc specs way? I don't really know about that stuff and my girlfriend is really into this game

jimboton

Oct 27, 2017
May double dip for the 144 fps support. I need every advantage I can get with this fucking game lol.

MrCheezball

Banned
Aug 3, 2018
You can play the local co-op mode online with any of your Steam friends. Not quite the same thing but it's far better than nothing.

This is probably way more than you bargained for, but Ive tried to do the online coop for games like gangbeasts, but it appears I would need a 2nd controller plugged in for them correct? When we did gang beasts over Steam for local coop, it was making them use a keyboard.

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
This is probably way more than you bargained for, but Ive tried to do the online coop for games like gangbeasts, but it appears I would need a 2nd controller plugged in for them correct? When we did gang beasts over Steam for local coop, it was making them use a keyboard.
I haven't tested this myself but it should be possible to do Steam Remote Play even if you only have one controller on your end and one controller on their end.

This thread talks about this very issue:

I'm not quite sure what your use case is. I just know that Steam input is pretty great and you can probably get it working regardless of your controller preference.

MrCheezball

Banned
Aug 3, 2018
I haven't tested this myself but it should be possible to do Steam Remote Play even if you only have one controller on your end and one controller on their end.

This thread talks about this very issue:

I'm not quite sure what your use case is. I just know that Steam input is pretty great and you can probably get it working regardless of your controller preference.

Thats a big time link. Thank you!

dragonlife

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Would love to play this with my boyfriend. We have our PCs right next to each other, so I'm kind of disappointed the store page doesn't list LAN play.

Anyone know if it actually has it? When I read local co-op, I think of sharing the same screen. Ideally I'd like for each of us to have our own progression.

I've never played Spelunky, so I don't know what to actually expect from progression, though.

nillansan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Denmark
Eh that's an issue but it's also just a legitimately harder game with harder requirements for the real ending as well. Lots of mechanics were made harder as well. The whip was nerfed, things in shops explode from gun shots as well as other explosions, robbing shopkeepers is more difficult, new enemy types are more difficult, the first biome is far more difficult etc.

It's still a major adjustment from 1 but even after that adjustment it's quite a bit harder.

Ah, that sounds significantly more difficult than 1, damn, I haven't watched more recent streams as I want to avoid too many spoilers.

Fachasaurus

Oct 27, 2017
So I don't know what to do. Is there any benefits of getting this on PC vs PS4? I played the first one on PS4 and enjoyed the hell out of it.

Anything I should know?

Goddo Hando

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
God-Tier game.

i kinda hate that so much stuff is coming out all at once, but this is the one game i'll still be playing long after the dust settles