Englebert3rd

Oct 31, 2017
Has anyone played the excellent Streets of Rage 2X for OpenBOR?
It's a continuation of Remake and they have just introduced a new stage.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
I'll be sure to pass this message on to my parents in their early 70's, as they are the only boomers I know. Not sure what they'll think of Streets of Rage being modernized...

Sky Walker

Oct 25, 2017
As someone who grew up playing these games in the late 90s:

SoR1 has the best soundtracks but the game is outdated now imo.

SoR2 is second close when it comes to soundtracks and much better than SoR1 at everything else. But the gameplay is reeeeeally slow for my taste.

SoR3 "or BK3 as I played it most the time" has the better gameplay between the old trilogy and better replay value for the multiple endings "even though getting to the true ending is pain in the ass". But has the weakest soundtracks. Except few but most bosses are not as memorable as 1 and 2.

SoR4 got most of the things right: best gameplay in the series, cool art style, varied cast of unique characters, great soundtracks and good replay value for the different modes and unlockables.

So I would say I'm with you OP when it comes to the official games... as SoRR 5.2 is the best packaged game out the bunch since it got everything good from the trilogy :p

Deleted member 13155

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No one said anything about chucking in a feature. Cer

Just because you could never git gud doesn't make the SoR3 Star system bad. You just need to git gud.

It's actually pretty brilliant in how fair Sega made it. You are rewarded for not dying by getting extra stars as you progress, giving you extra abilities and attacks up to three (for those that don't know how it was). If you die, it is fair in that you don't lose all your stars - just one. Thhat allows you to get a replacement after making more progress.

On top of that, it is fair in that you can still access all of these extra moves by inputting a SF/MK command instead of the simple forward forward attack sequence possible with stars. These Z attacks were only accessible on the Genesis if you had a six button controller., which was great because sometimes you strategically wanted to use a Level 2 Z-attack (for example) instead of Level 3 when you maxed out the stars.

SoR4? Get a star, nuke the area =/. A completely brainless change from what was a great, tactical feature. The game will never live on with an unofficial SOR:R2 like the classics, sadly. It's just another decent beat 'em up.

In any case, I'm not sure what the boomer tag has to do with any of this, nephew. I'm a Gen-Xer, but if that kind of nonsense helps you sleep warm at night, go with it I guess.

Because I had a 6 button pad I never cared for the Star system in 3. Z attacks are the same and they're free. The input was harder, but not if you were decent at fighting games. 6 button pad simply gave players an edge.

I don't like the nukes in 4 either.

Mr. Nice_Guy

Oct 27, 2017
It's the first beat 'em up I've played in years and I've already sunk hours and hours into it. Will easily be in my top 10 for the year. Never played the other SOR games so they are on my list now too.

Black Mantis

Oct 30, 2017
I really enjoy 4, but 2's still my favourite overall. Better music and stages, plus the bosses in 4 aren't as memorable imo.

E.Balboa

Oct 30, 2017
Florianópolis, Brazil
SoR4 was a pleasent surprise. It's my game of the year so far as well. I've beaten it multiple times with my 5yo and we keep going back. Rising Up is almost up to the level of Yuzo's work in the first game and that's saying something.

Sesha

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
From what I hear it doesn't have alternate paths and the bosses are kinda meh, so naw.

Atolm

Oct 25, 2017
There's some stuff about 4 I don't like, like Galsia's hitboxes with knifes or how far Donovans can send you with metal bars, but overall I'm comfortable with it being the best in the series.

Znazzy

Aug 27, 2018
Streets of Rage 4 is absolutely magical and the perfect modern sequel, but it's certainly not the best on the series in every way. There's a handful of things I would change in the game to make it the best, as many have already mentioned (running/dashing for every character, reducing boss/enemy armor, changing hitboxes for jump kick girls and a few other enemies, swapping out repetitive bosses, etc.)

I would probably rank them was:
[SOR Remake]
SOR2
SOR4
BKIII
SOR1

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
They should have left in quick roll. It made no sense to take it out considering how many elements in the game feel like super fast gotch-ya stuff. The most annoying things in the game would be much better mitigated with the quick roll.

Other than that...yeah SOR4 is probably number 2. It doesn't beat SOR2 in terms of presentation or appeal and I feel like the point system should act more like it does in the older games to provide a more even experience if you play well but aren't abusing hitstun. But it's a super tight experience that's fun to play over and over and over. I was surprised how quickly the artstyle grew on me and how good the new designs are.

I would probably rank them was:
[SOR Remake]
SOR2
SOR4
BKIII
SOR1

Agreed.

From what I hear it doesn't have alternate paths and the bosses are kinda meh, so naw.

That's really only an issue if your only reference to SOR is SORR.

Does it have anything on the level of the SoR1 boss music? Or Fighting in the Streets? :)

Yes. Ms. Y's theme is a dope rendition of the SOR2 final boss music.

The new soundtrack doesnt always hit, but I don't think anyone expected this game's OST to be able to unseat the majesty that is the SOR2 soundtrack, quite possibly the best game soundtrack ever.

Truant

Oct 28, 2017
The boomer salt in this thread is seasoning the rest of my meals this year. Glorious.

gozu

Oct 27, 2017
America
I'm only a third of the way through the game but does anyone else think this game pays homage to both Streets of Rage and Final Fight?

It wildly exceeded my expectations.

mausterhunter

Feb 1, 2019
Cool, was thinking more for local multiplayer with my wife, so online play isn't high up on the list. Would be cool to take my switch and play with my dad when I visit as well, he loves SOR2. Did you play it with a single joycon?
No, I'm not a joycon fan ever since I got drift. (Nintendo doesn't repair them for free in Europe, either)
I play it with M30 Genesis controllers. You can easily remap the controls in-game and enjoy the classic configuration.

Dache

Oct 25, 2017
UK
It plays better than the originals, but the music was a huge letdown. Absolutely none of the tracks did it for me. I can't even hum a single one. I'm sad about that.

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wish whoever did the credits song (Japanese composer) had produced more tracks.

I don't have any complaints outside of the soundtrack at some spots. Not as good as SOR2. It needs more synthesizer like 1/2.

Shoutout to the developers for having 3 Black main characters.

Last edited:

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
This is such a dimishing bullshit. The game is great regardless of its legacy. It's a great game on its own.
"It didn't try anything crazy in a world where people are always trying to reinvent the wheel. "

So many sequels and remakes try to move away from what made the old ones great, but SoR4 doesn't which is a big success as far as I'm concerned.

I'm not saying it's bad, I'm saying I applaud the creators for realizing what made SoR great and not fuck around with it *side-eyes FF7R*.

And no, a 4th sequel cannot be viewed as an individual when there are 3 previous games to inform it on what works. If sor4 played unlike SoR because the developers wanted to modernize it or something and had orchestral music, even if it was good, people would be rightfully upset.

OP
OP
zoodoo

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
"It didn't try anything crazy in a world where people are always trying to reinvent the wheel. "

So many sequels and remakes try to move away from what made the old ones great, but SoR4 doesn't which is a big success as far as I'm concerned.

I'm not saying it's bad, I'm saying I applaud the creators for realizing what made SoR great and not fuck around with it *side-eyes FF7R*.

And no, a 4th sequel cannot be viewed as an individual when there are 3 previous games to inform it on what works. If sor4 played unlike SoR because the developers wanted to modernize it or something and had orchestral music, even if it was good, people would be rightfully upset.
I was replying to this:
"SoR4 is a success purely because it didn't ruin the name of SoR with some off brand "re-imagining".

Onilink

Oct 30, 2017
I read the title as Sony Boomer follows Street of rage on PS4 has surpassed other entries

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
I was replying to this:
"SoR4 is a success purely because it didn't ruin the name of SoR with some off brand "re-imagining".
It's almost like you need to read the whole thing.....

200_d.gif

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah it's fantastic! And the art is marvelous. And it's one of few great new games that got added to Geforce Now! I insta-bought it. Plays great! 👍

above average

Banned
Apr 4, 2018
That won't be completely true for another decade, there should still be more boomers in their 50s and early 60s than over 65 (assuming we're going by the UN definition of "senior" meaning someone 65yo or older).

I can't not respond to this because it's just so wrong. Boomers are 54-74 years old with the birthrate declining sharply in the second half of the period so the majority of births in this age range would be 65+. Unless you are discounting for deaths in which case 65+ will never overtake the younger group.

Also SOR4 is fantastic and I'd vote it best in the series. And people on here whining about everyone needing a roll and a run are the worst and apparently don't realize that's how you end up with Max not in SOR3.

Deleted member 11626

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean, I grew up on Genesis. Sonic and Streets of Rage specifically, and I think both of the modern entries are better than the trilogies before them. Sonic Mania and SoR4 are both solid evidence that the formula in both games was as great back then as people say.

Deleted member 51848

Jan 10, 2019
Playing through for the first time on Xbox one x. I have to say it's an amazing love letter to Streets of Rage and the entire genre. It's beautiful to look at, it sounds amazing and the gameplay is simple but deep. Difficulty is also pitched just right. What a delight.

Oct 27, 2017
SoCal
I think 4 is my favorite now. I grew up with SoR2 as my primary beat-em-up, too. The absolute best thing they did was put in the wall-bounce mechanic so you aren't constantly knocking enemies off the screen and waiting for them to come back. And I think the soundtrack stands toe-to-toe with 1 & 2, for me.

I was just thinking how much I disliked this game yesterday.

For me, it's an incredibly annoying game to play. Lots of damage sponge enemies, and way too many unblockable attacks and periods of enemy invincibility. You basically need to combo everything to oblivion in this game to have any success.

It feels like a different franchise, more than anything. Doesn't come close to 2&3.
The soundtrack is just really mixed - it also lacks any sense of cohesiveness.

Jumpman23

Nov 14, 2017
Streets of Rage 4 knocked it out of the park. Easily one of, if not the best in the series. They improved just about every aspect of the original, rivaled the mechanics of the 2nd and 3rd games and introduced a soundtrack that with time will likely become as legendary ingrained in my mind as past entries.

Beautiful work of art and we're blessed to have received a sequel to what seemed like a long lost franchise.

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
I'm 35 and think it's the best game in the series. My only complaint is I think the game might be a little TOO long, but I feel that way about SOR2 as well.

edit: oh my god i'm 36. fuck covid

Last edited:

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Gonna have to give this another shot. I especially love 2, but for some reason, something didn't click for me when 4 first came out. Installing again on PCGP.