QisTopTier

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
The tracks you posted are kinda whatever honestly, massive lack of melody for the most part.

RE Boomer: Anyone over 30 is a boomer on the internet due to memes.

c2af9aa1167f8c8588e9c62fdaa03943d9dea615bd6afdb45f63afe76b517fd7_3.jpg
Sounds like everyone that calls 30 year olds boomers are massive anime fans we all know 30 years old in anime = one foot in the grave

Portmanteau

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The fact that it's even in the conversation with the other games is a testament to the quality of the game. I am always cynical for sequels like this, but man. It's SO good.

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
It's not better than SoR 2 or BK 3 (SoR 3 is shit) because some of the encounters are really badly designed. In fact, the badly designed encounters are even worse than the bad encounters in the first game, so I'm not sure I would even rank it above the first SoR.

That said, it's a fantastic game that totally lives up to its legacy, and the only reason it's not quite as good as the old games is because the old games are really fucking good. SoR 4 can certainly stand proud as one of the best games in its genre and in my opinion surpasses some beloved classics like the first Final Fight.

joeblow

Oct 27, 2017
Laker Nation
Most of this can be left up to taste, but some of it is flat-out wrong.

You can pick up food while holding an item; you just can't press left or right while doing so.

The charge attack is actually a distinct move in this game, unlike previous titles. In SOR2 & 3, the charge attack was just exactly the same as the last part of each characters' normal attack string. In this game, they still look the same as one of the normal attacks, but they function very differently. Axel is actually a great example because his charge attack might be the best; his normal attack finishing kick just knocks down whoever he's hitting right in front of him, but the charge attack launches enemies much further and functions much like a throw does in that it turns the enemy into a projectile that knocks down anything else it touches. It's a very important crowd-clearing move. It'd be nice if you could still map these to a single button like in 3 but they're actually good enough now that there's a balancing argument to be made that you shouldn't be able to use them on demand without having to deliberately charge them up, either. They're already rather abusable for some characters when it comes to their infinite combos.
Thanks a lot for the corrections. No doubt this would've been clear to me if I played more, but the main issues I went over in detail are (currently) keeping me from continuing. Hopefully a patch and/or mod address my primary concerns.

I'd probably like the game a lot more if it wasn't advertised as a sequel within my favorite series of all time. Because it is SoR4, I judge it much more harshly.

Which is why Remake is so good.

Its essentially SoR2 with SoR3's mechanics (though you can tweak it to your hearts content). And SoR1 levels + extra stuff have been added as well.

SoR3 did a lot of things right for a supposedly mediocre game. One of it is having the best gameplay of the classic trilogy. And the cutscenes which I thought added some personality and they aren't long.

Eh...saying remake feels like cheating, though. If you combine all games within any series into one game with the best mechanics, of course it's going to be the best game in the series (and I don't doubt that it is! It sounds awesome).

So, for he sake of discussion, I would choose BK3 as my favorite game in the series, followed closely by 2 and then probably 4.

I'm really wondering if anyone prefers SoR1 over everything though...that's interesting to me.

Sixfortyfive

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Atlanta
Remake has poor AI. It's basically that game's only flaw, and the unique enemy mob combinations go a long way to mitigate it, but it's worth noting as such when one of the most satisfying core components of the rest of the series happens to be outplaying the AI.

flashman92

Feb 15, 2018
My brother and I had a bad first impression of it since we ended up really not liking Axel and Blaze, but we gave it another shot with Cherry and the grappler guy, which ended up being more fun for us. And then we ended up liking all the old unlockable characters as well.

DFG

Self requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm so glad it turned out good. I loved all 9f them, including Remake. I wish it got officially released on consoles, especially something like Vita or Switch.

SlasherMcGirk

Oct 27, 2017
Cincinnati
Eh...saying remake feels like cheating, though. If you combine all games within any series into one game with the best mechanics, of course it's going to be the best game in the series (and I don't doubt that it is! It sounds awesome).

So, for he sake of discussion, I would choose BK3 as my favorite game in the series, followed closely by 2 and then probably 4.

I'm really wondering if anyone prefers SoR1 over everything though...that's interesting to me.

People also downplay how much good original content it has as well. New stages, enemies, playable characters, customization, cheats, remixed and customizable music and more. This isn't a copy and paste job everything was made from the ground up. Graphics and enemy ai. Then there is all the extra modes on top of that. Then there is the SoR maker too. It can play dozens of well made community campaigns.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
I learned two things today.

Streets of Rage 4 is awesome.

And also that I am apparently now a boomer because I had a Genesis.

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
SoR remake is still the king.

SoR4 is a success purely because it didn't ruin the name of SoR with some off brand "re-imagining". It didn't try anything crazy in a world where people are always trying to reinvent the wheel.

Dec 20, 2017
Yes, words change meaning over time grandpa, get with the times

Except the definition of boomer hasn't changed for anyone who isn't a pubescent internet dweller, so its fucking dumb. A boomer is a baby boomer, it has a specific definition that hasn't changed just because a couple of dingleberries on Reddit think anyone over 25 is ancient. I get it, it's a "joke", but it's been run into the ground as much as "OK boomer".

Its like saying "The definition of Karen has changed, words change, get with the times grandpa!" You would sound like an idiot who takes memes way too seriously.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
Except the definition of boomer hasn't changed for anyone who isn't a pubescent internet dweller, so its fucking dumb. A boomer is a baby boomer, it has a specific definition that hasn't changed just because a couple of dingleberries on Reddit think anyone over 25 is ancient. I get it, it's a "joke", but it's been run into the ground as much as "OK boomer".

Its like saying "The definition of Karen has changed, words change, get with the times grandpa!" You would sound like an idiot who takes memes way too seriously.
Idiots run the world now.

You just have to get used to it.

TimeFire

Avenger
Nov 26, 2017
Brazil

This post has full boomer energy, if all of those prebuscent internet dwellers who take memes way too seriously get what I mean

joeblow

Oct 27, 2017
Laker Nation
^^^ The game may be great on its own as a generic beat 'em up, but it fails at being great as a SoR sequel.

Even if you put aside SoR:R because it's not official, one awesome aspect of the original three releases is that each one retained what was fun about the one before it and either improved the mechanics while introducing great new mechanics. The only significant exception is how they ditched the police nuke attack after the first game. I'd argue that was an improvement since it was a cheap way to get AoE damage and slowed down the flow of the action.

In SoR4, they gutted way too much from what worked in earlier games, namely universal running/dodging, Z-attacks, Star-based attack upgrades, and more. Absolutely none of these nerfs makes the overall experience more fun to play, so they are unforced errors that reduce the sequel's potential to being merely "good" at best, but awful as an official sequel unless changes are made somehow.

Sixfortyfive

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Atlanta
In SoR4, they gutted way too much from what worked in earlier games, namely universal running/dodging, Z-attacks, Star-based attack upgrades, and more. Absolutely none of these nerfs makes the overall experience more fun to play, so they are unforced errors that reduce the sequel's potential to being merely "good" at best, but awful as an official sequel unless changes are made somehow.
Video games are generally better when the player and enemy capabilities are balanced properly against each other, rather than just chucking in things that feel good on a surface level without much thought as to how they affect the end result. I think the original Super Mario Bros is a better game than roughly one third of its sequels for similar reasons; sometimes more isn't better.

The removal of the universal run was the one detail in the pre-release materials that gave me confidence in these developers and hope that they were actually putting a lot of thought into the combat and enemies. They delivered spectacularly.

SOR3's star system also sucked, and I don't know what "Z attacks" mean.

Hero Prinny

Oct 25, 2017
i don't like that not everyone can run. Its annoying and makes it a drag to play as anyone but the runners.

Absolute

Banned
Nov 6, 2017

It's become an ageist term and apparently that's ok.

Net_Wrecker

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like SoR4 is too slavish to SoR1+2 to be considered the best. I just can't get over going backwards from universal run and dodge inputs of 3, even if i love wall bounce + juggle combos, and distinct charge moves in 4. I feel like by going away from those they left a lot of combat design options on the table in favor of slow vertical walk-dodging and enemy i-frames, which just aren't as much fun to deal with in practice.

2 still has the GOAT soundtrack as well, so it remains on top for me. SoR4 is a damn good entry in context though, which is nothing short of a miracle.

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
Easily my favorite. Played 1 and 2 to death when I was younger. Never really liked SoR3 much, so I'm enjoying SoR4's slower playstyle.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
It has its faults but to be honest I think it's funner to play today than any of the prequels. The biggest thing it's got going against it in that regard is that the genre isn't as novel as it was 30 years ago.

Oct 27, 2017
You would be surprised how people attached to an old franchise react to modern entries

I think for the most part, people are open minded and will come around once they realize the quality is there.
Sure, there will be some very loud contrarians, as well as some who genuinely prefer an earlier entry, but over all I think time will be kind to Streets of Rage 4.

I, for one, couldn't be happier when a modern entry in an old franchise ends up the best in the series—so long as said entry is actually true to the series' roots and doesn't try to "update" it away from what made it what it was.

SoR 4 certainly does not do that and is updated in all the right ways

Black Chamber

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
United States
Nope.

Streets of Rage 1&2 are still the best of the bunch.

Also the soundtrack to Streets of Rage 4 is passable at best - bordering on mediocre - nothing in it is as driving and catchy as what you hear in 1&2🤘

OP
OP
zoodoo

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
^^^ The game may be great on its own as a generic beat 'em up, but it fails at being great as a SoR sequel.

Even if you put aside SoR:R because it's not official, one awesome aspect of the original three releases is that each one retained what was fun about the one before it and either improved the mechanics while introducing great new mechanics. The only significant exception is how they ditched the police nuke attack after the first game. I'd argue that was an improvement since it was a cheap way to get AoE damage and slowed down the flow of the action.

The star attacks in sor3 sucked. Most people never got to see them cause they required extra lives. That was an awful system and I'm glad they left it in the past. I get you're a purist and that's fine. The original trilogy will always be there for you to play and from the way you are talking you will never be satisfied with a new entry.

I knew this thread would bait and trigger fans like you and that's why I put boomer in the title.

Sixfortyfive

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Atlanta
The star attacks in sor3 sucked. Most people never got to see them cause they required extra lives. That was an awful system and I'm glad they left it in the past. I get you're a purist and that's fine. The original trilogy will always be there for you to play and from the way you are talking you will never be satisfied with a new entry.

I knew this thread would bait fans like you and that's why I put boomer in the title.
Dang man it ain't personal. lol

Not really sure what you mean when you say that the old star system required extra lives. It was just a "rich get richer; poor get poorer" mechanic, where your blitz got upgraded every certain number of points but regressed whenever you lost a life. So basically if you were already good you'd get to use more powerful moves to make the game even easier for you, but if you sucked then you'd be stuck with a more limited moveset. Or if you had a 6-button controller, you could just do any version of the attack at will whenever you wanted, but they were mapped to bizarre commands that followed no sensible convention in beat-em-ups or fighting games, either then or now.

Even though SOR4 star attacks are conceptually simpler, there is more tactical sense in how such a limited resource works, either as a screen-clearer for specific problem areas, a panic button to regain green life in a pinch, or as a combo extender in the cases where using it is more score-efficient than the end-of-stage 500pt bonus.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Game is great, but as an old fart (mid-40s), it hurts my hands to play it after only two stages. :(

OP
OP
zoodoo

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
Dang man it ain't personal. lol

Not really sure what you mean when you say that the old star system required extra lives. It was just a "rich get richer; poor get poorer" mechanic, where your blitz got upgraded every certain number of points but regressed whenever you lost a life. So basically if you were already good you'd get to use more powerful moves to make the game even easier for you, but if you sucked then you'd be stuck with a more limited moveset. Or if you had a 6-button controller, you could just do any version of the attack at will whenever you wanted, but they were mapped to bizarre commands that followed no sensible convention in beat-em-ups or fighting games, either then or now.

Even though SOR4 star attacks are conceptually simpler, there is more tactical sense in how such a limited resource works, either as a screen-clearer for specific problem areas, a panic button to regain green life in a pinch, or as a combo extender in the cases where using it is more score-efficient than the end-of-stage 500pt bonus.
Sorry, not taking it personal lol.
Your explanation of the star system is what made it bad. You dont make a game easier for a player that is good and harder for one that is bad. That's an awful design. Sor 3 locked tools (stars) behind skills. So players without the necessary skills will never be able to use those tools. The game is already way harder than sor 2 so 90% of your player base will never see those star moves.

joeblow

Oct 27, 2017
Laker Nation
Video games are generally better when the player and enemy capabilities are balanced properly against each other, rather than just chucking in things that feel good on a surface level without much thought as to how they affect the end result. I think the original Super Mario Bros is a better game than roughly one third of its sequels for similar reasons; sometimes more isn't better.

The removal of the universal run was the one detail in the pre-release materials that gave me confidence in these developers and hope that they were actually putting a lot of thought into the combat and enemies. They delivered spectacularly.

SOR3's star system also sucked, and I don't know what "Z attacks" mean.
No one said anything about chucking in a feature.

I knew this thread would bait and trigger fans like you and that's why I put boomer in the title.
Just because you could never git gud doesn't make the SoR3 Star system bad. You just need to git gud.

It's actually pretty brilliant in how fair Sega made it. You are rewarded for not dying by getting extra stars as you progress, giving you extra abilities and attacks up to three (for those that don't know how it was). If you die, it is fair in that you don't lose all your stars - just one. Thhat allows you to get a replacement after making more progress.

On top of that, it is fair in that you can still access all of these extra moves by inputting a SF/MK command instead of the simple forward forward attack sequence possible with stars. These Z attacks were only accessible on the Genesis if you had a six button controller., which was great because sometimes you strategically wanted to use a Level 2 Z-attack (for example) instead of Level 3 when you maxed out the stars.

SoR4? Get a star, nuke the area =/. A completely brainless change from what was a great, tactical feature. The game will never live on with an unofficial SOR:R2 like the classics, sadly. It's just another decent beat 'em up.

In any case, I'm not sure what the boomer tag has to do with any of this, nephew. I'm a Gen-Xer, but if that kind of nonsense helps you sleep warm at night, go with it I guess.

Last edited:

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
Welp, today I learned Streets of Rage Remake is a thing.

Anyone care to PM me (as to not get off topic here) and give me instructions on how to get my DS4 working with it? Isn't recognizing it at all, and Google is out of ideas.

Nov 25, 2017
Finland
I would love to try this, but MS Store is such BS.

Installed this thing several times, new drivers, old drivers, etc.

Thing crashes right when the title screen should come up.

Hard to argue with the Game Pass price for PC, but when the games don't work its not even worth the few euros it costs me.

Rygar 8Bit

Oct 25, 2017
Site-15
Welp, today I learned Streets of Rage Remake is a thing.

Anyone care to PM me (as to not get off topic here) and give me instructions on how to get my DS4 working with it? Isn't recognizing it at all, and Google is out of ideas.

You need Joy to Key.

JoyToKey - Download the Latest Official Version

Download the latest version of JoyToKey for free! JoyToKey enables PC game controllers to emulate a mouse and the keyboard input, so that windows applications and web games can be controlled with joysticks.

I would love to try this, but MS Store is such BS.

Installed this thing several times, new drivers, old drivers, etc.

Thing crashes right when the title screen should come up.

Hard to argue with the Game Pass price for PC, but when the games don't work its not even worth the few euros it costs me.

Friend would restart his comp and it would run after that.

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
Nov 25, 2017
Finland
You need Joy to Key.

JoyToKey - Download the Latest Official Version

Download the latest version of JoyToKey for free! JoyToKey enables PC game controllers to emulate a mouse and the keyboard input, so that windows applications and web games can be controlled with joysticks.

Friend would restart his comp and it would run after that.
Oh, forgot to say I've been trying these things ever since the release. Few weeks now?

Every now and then.

monali

Mar 8, 2020
The last level was not a good finale sadly, but who am I to talk I already played through the game a dozens of time, bring the bloody DLC ASAP.

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
The last level was not a good finale sadly, but who am I to talk I already played through the game a dozens of time, bring the bloody DLC ASAP.
Yea it was surprisingly..... EZ mode. It was actually one of the easiest boss fights in the game.

Need dlc characters asap.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
Joy2Key isn't even necessary. SoRR Remake has native Dinput and Xinput support. In fact translating keyboard inputs into gamepad controls isn't the best advice to give outside of a game that only has pure keyboard inputs. The input polling for native gamepad as opposed to keyboard emulation is wonky to begin with especially with the dpad not being true 8-way movement and just doing the cardinal four directions of the keyboard arrow keys.

I'd first recommend configuring your gamepad in SORR's controller config in the options. Also if you are using a DS4 you might want to consider using xinput / dinput wrapper for your controller instead. Steam does this natively as it has support for a DS4 with it's built controller config. (you just need to import SORR as a Non-Steam game)