hunahan

Oct 27, 2017
It is shocking to hear that the developer of the game and the president of Nintendo had to have a conversation about how shitty the Smash fandom would be if they revealed the results of a poll. A lot of people seriously need to get a grip. Just shameful.

I find it utterly touching that this team went to such lengths to fulfill the number 1 fan request, even knowing the above about those fans. There's obviously a lot of big money at play, but I can't help but feel there is some real heart there as well to pull this off.

My favorite of the DLC characters is Byleth. I doubt I'll buy Sora.

Tendo

Oct 26, 2017
So, people hate Kingdom Hearts?

I'm always kind of surprised when I poke my head out and see what the prevailing "internet" take is about popular games. I like most of the punching bags. Kingdom Hearts, Far Cry, Fallout 4, Dragon Age Inquisition, Mass Effect Andromeda. I mean, really like them. Recently I felt like I was going to get jumped for saying I liked Heavy Rain, ha.

I think it's a great addition to Smash. Sora may use something like a sword, but he's a super light, aerial fighter and that could be interesting.
This ain't the internet at large's opinion. Everyone seems pumped. Outside of here.

Oct 25, 2017
So, people hate Kingdom Hearts?

I'm always kind of surprised when I poke my head out and see what the prevailing "internet" take is about popular games. I like most of the punching bags. Kingdom Hearts, Far Cry, Fallout 4, Dragon Age Inquisition, Mass Effect Andromeda. I mean, really like them. Recently I felt like I was going to get jumped for saying I liked Heavy Rain, ha.

I think it's a great addition to Smash. Sora may use something like a sword, but he's a super light, aerial fighter and that could be interesting.
People? No as sakurai said most requested character. Era? What dont a vocal part of this community hate? And even than it's a minority thing

Oct 27, 2017
ATL
Sometimes it's good just to see other people happy. The unadultered joy Mighty Keef had was infectious

Goku was personally higher on my list, but Sora is a fantastic character to end everything off on. He fits fantastically with a mashup game like Smash Bros Ultimate, and he's the lead character of a game series that held closely to the hearts of many gamers.

Oct 25, 2017
To be fair to Sora, no matter who was chosen here was not gonna live up to the mass amount of hype for the last choice.

With that said, once he is officially in, we will all be able to actually sit back and really marvel at the sight of an 89 man roster (100 counting alts) spanning across numerous companies and eras...something we may very well never see again in a Smash Bros. game and quite honestly something I never thought I'd see to begin with. Lack of diversity aside, it is quite an accomplishment and truly a once in a lifetime roster.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Even if they could have added Master Chief this time around (as in MS was willing to do it), it's kinda smart to save that for the next Smash Bros. game as that would be a definite sales hook.

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
I understand that Sora was one of the most requested characters. I'm just disappointed that for the final character, they went with a highly requested character and didn't try to do something more meaningful with Nintendo or gaming history or do something more creative than "It's another swordfighter with some magic."

Also, the announcement part of the video was really bland compared to some of the other announcement videos they've done. Although I was amused by the emphasis on the fire (they're not seriously going to announce a Dark Souls character as the final character, are they?).
I mean, KH is probably the biggest dedicated crossover series outside of Smash. Those two franchises and everything both entail colliding couldn't be more symbolic of what Smash is about in the first place.

Layell

One Winged Slayer
Apr 16, 2018
It is shocking to hear that the developer of the game and the president of Nintendo had to have a conversation about how shitty the Smash fandom would be if they revealed the results of a poll. A lot of people seriously need to get a grip. Just shameful.

I think that's a stretch, they just didn't want to say "Here is someone we know you want, we just can't do it". They opted to focus on what was possible.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I think Sora is the one character that would be able to live up the "final Smash character" hype. It's a worldwide pop off, which characters like Crash or Master Chief wouldn't have been able to pull off. And lol at Waluigi.

FulcrumTK

Oct 6, 2020
I'm not gonna say you need to like Sora's design or anything.

But Simon? That's who you're gonna compare Sora to while calling him generic?? The discount He-man found on every 80's fantasy book cover???
I'd argue Simon's design is more unique than Sora's among the Smash cast, at least.

LMAO he was so sure it was Dark Souls. I am surprised we didn't at least get a Solaire Mii Costume or something.
Sometimes it's good just to see other people happy. The unadultered joy Mighty Keef had was infectious

Goku was personally higher on my list, but Sora is a fantastic character to end everything off on. He fits fantastically with a mashup game like Smash Bros Ultimate, and he's the lead character of a game series that held closely to the hearts of many gamers.

I kinda fell out of love with KH, but yeah some of the joyous reactions have been great.

MasterYoshi

Oct 27, 2017
After chewing on this for several hours, I gotta say, it just feels right. I was holding out hope for Master Chief, but damn that Sora trailer was magical.

Nov 17, 2017
Late as hell cause I was working but the motherfucking Door to Light opened! I love how Sora saved the entire Smash verse with the Power of Waking.

I was honestly not invested at all in the DLC cause none of the pics were among my wanted characters but finally I got Sora and he looks perfect

hunahan

Oct 27, 2017
I think that's probably twisting it a little bit

I think that's a stretch, they just didn't want to say "Here is someone we know you want, we just can't do it". They opted to focus on what was possible.

Sakurai:
"While this ballot was happening, we spoke with Mr. Iwata, who was still with us then, and we decided not to reveal the results. For the fighters at the top of the list, we thought that some people might demand them from respective game companies. We believed that this would cause some inconvenience to many parties."

I read this as a very polite way of saying that they knew harassment would happen and they felt it best to avoid it.

Granted, I'm reading a translation, and granted I'm reading between the lines, but I have a pretty hard time interpreting this series of statements in some completely different direction.

Maybe I'm wrong.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
And damn, way to downplay Sora as not being important/meaningful enough in gaming history

Kingdom Hearts is a very popular series but it's not making any Top 20 list of the most impactful series in gaming history. It's also not in the Top 50 for best-selling game franchises (although it's probably in the Top 100). It's no Space Invaders or Dragon Quest. Heck, it's not even a Call of Duty or a Monster Hunter.

But clearly they choose very well, because fans seem to be really excited about the inclusion and I'm getting nothing but complaints at my comment that I was hoping for something more creative or relevant to Nintendo or overall gaming history. And I'm sure it'll sell far better than a sillier inclusion like Tetromino or Master Hand.

My personal choices had absolutely no chance of getting included as a regular DLC character much less the finale (Kat & Phoenix Wright).

Delaney

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, after a few hours I started thinking about how his appearance here ties into the current arc of the KH story, and reading some theories it seems to be popular belief, even if it will likely never be confirmed or alluded to. That, and the explanation that Sora is sending the characters back to their worlds with his final smash has me like

bakcy5i.gif

Chumunga64

Jun 22, 2018
Sora is the antithesis to almost everything FF has been lately and Nomura has gone on record saying he doesn't relate to him lmao what nonsense
yeah, Nomura's new OC donut steal is not Noctis

he loves Yozora so much he sacrificed the end of the Xehanort saga so that he could show off Yozora some more lmao

I understand that Sora was one of the most requested characters. I'm just disappointed that for the final character, they went with a highly requested character and didn't try to do something more meaningful with Nintendo or gaming history or do something more creative than "It's another swordfighter with some magic."
What other meaningful crossover character is there besides Sora?

Hero_Select

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Kingdom Hearts is a very popular series but it's not making any Top 20 list of the most impactful series in gaming history. It's also not in the Top 50 for best-selling game franchises (although it's probably in the Top 100). It's no Space Invaders or Dragon Quest. Heck, it's not even a Call of Duty or a Monster Hunter.

But clearly they choose very well, because fans seem to be really excited about the inclusion and I'm getting nothing but complaints at my comment that I was hoping for something more creative or relevant to Nintendo or overall gaming history. And I'm sure it'll sell far better than a sillier inclusion like Tetromino or Master Hand.

My personal choices had absolutely no chance of getting included as a regular DLC character much less the finale (Kat & Phoenix Wright).
The roster already has that balance anyway. Can't get more meaningful than Pacman, Megaman and Banjo. Sora is meaningful in a way that a lot of fans wanted to see him and it's a great way to end Ultimate on.

I personally would have preferred someone else but I can't deny this is an amazing note to end on.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
yikes

I understand why they picked up him, but Sora is boring, in every way and aspects.

I really don't understand this. Like he's a little boy with a gigantic fucking key that he bonks people with, and he's an air combo fiend. And he's basically the poster-boy for gaming crossovers outside of Smash. Having him cross over WITH Smash is amazing meta-humor.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Things you can do in Smash Bros. that other games stopped letting you do:

- Have Ryu fight Kazuya and Terry

- Have Sora fight Cloud and Sephiroth

- Reunite Banjo with his Rare bros

- Play as Mega Man and the Belmonts

MegaMetroid

Alt-Account
Banned
May 16, 2021
Love these characters that have no games or history in Nintendo systems. Even doom guy or even chief would be more deserving than this.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

All I'll say is I heavily disagree with you on downplaying it, but you a Kat fan so you have my sword for the next Smash game :P