• YES

Votes: 1,720 77.0%
  • NO

Votes: 514 23.0%

• Total voters

Xater

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
I mean to me it's not that different because having less power and no disc drive is a completely different demographic and function set for a console that's sole purpose is to play cutting edge next gen games at the highest fidelity just like the Switch's purpose is to Switch. Of course the Switch's difference matters more and I do agree about that. That said, the only qualifier was a cheaper sku selling less than a more expensive one and that's all I was trying to meet. I wasn't thinking beyond that.

True.

Just wanted to say, that I think it's a bigger functuanality difference which even kinda goes against their own switching marketing message. So I can kinda see why the Lite model is doing worse.

Rodelero

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I suspect so, probably by quite a long distance. While I'd personally buy an XSX over an XSS, the way Microsoft are advertising them makes the XSS feel like a much better deal than the XSX. The jump in perceptible quality from 1440p to 4K isn't that significant unless you have a great TV/monitor setup. In essence the XSX feels like a day-one mid-gen refresh, and while the PS4 Pro and X1X are definitely the best way to console game right now, there are pretty obvious diminishing returns in terms of how the extra GPU power is used in both cases.

Unkindled

Nov 27, 2018
I would say no because it's digital edition only. If they release physical edition down the line then yes easily. USA it will outsell it but worldwide I'm not seeing it.

panda-zebra

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
What say you era?

Resetera being a gaming forum, I expect many will say the XSX will outsell the XSS... but for the more casual crowd the XSS is a really good option.
Hell, maybe Microsoft themselves expect to sell more XSS units?
Going forward, xbox is gamepass. The Series S has great potential as a 2nd machine, but that probably doesn't really kick in until it's been around a little while and people look outside their current ecosystems.

Not many want to face the reality, but Series S is the next gen xbox hardware, it's the baseline targetted at the masses. It'll sell the most by a long, long way. The Series X is an enthusiast model mid-gen refresh that just happens to arrive day 1. In a similar manner that the 1x was to the 1/1s, it'll be adpoted at same sort of ratio in the long run. Of course this won't play out in the first 6 months or so, as people who buy in to next gen early are generally enthusiasts, and they'll want the proper box. There's little to persuade casual players to jump to a new generation in times of cross-gen especially when first party has very bleak schedule in the short to medium term. For the next half year Series X will do far bigger numbers in terms of ratio than it will lifetime.

If we're led to believe both models are taking a financial hit, especially the low tier one, there's a case to be made that the price differential might ease favourably the Series X's way over time, but this depends to a larger extent where pricing goes on each unit's parts list... we might see a 1tb Series S unit before we see any price discounting, for example (personally that'd be something I'd be looking for around 2 years from now as internal studios close in on their big releases).

VG Aficionado

Nov 6, 2017
In the long run, it will. Hardcore gamers will buy the X early on, but over time people will learn of the S's value and for most users, the games will look and perform almost identically.

KayonXaikyre

Oct 27, 2017
True.

Just wanted to say, that I think it's a bigger functuanality difference which even kinda goes against their own switching marketing message. So I can kinda see why the Lite model is doing worse.

I completely agree with you. I think the Switch not Switching is much larger difference and I understand why someone wouldn't want that as well, but also understand why someone would if they never intend to play outside of handheld. I just know it wasn't for me so I have a regular one lol.

giapel

Oct 28, 2017
I think it depends on the marketing and availability of both.
Yes, people are price conscious. But people are also easily influenced by marketing.

Machine Law

Oct 26, 2017
If the difference in price wasn't so high I would say no, but as things are now I do see the Series S selling a lot more than Series X and being the primary console for a lot of people. Hell I'd like to get one just to see what GamePass is all about.

Tinman

Nov 1, 2017
I know that Gamestop is kind of on the rocks as a business but will they even stock a machine they can't sell second hand games to?

plow

Oct 28, 2017
No, casual people are not ready for "All Digital" i reckon.

Does someone have an insight on the difference in Xbox One S vs Xbox one S all Digital vs Xbox One X ? This would give an indication.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
This is actually a really interesting question to me because I have zero idea. 200$ is a huge price difference, one that I think the average consumer would see and be attracted to. But I have no idea how big of a deal "can't play physical games" is to Mr. CoD/Madden/FIFA/NBA/Destiny/Fortnite.

I don't think 4k matters though.

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
Are you guys expecting the cheaper digital ps5 model to outsell the main one?

Well there might only be a $100 or less difference between those consoles, compared to $200 for the Series X.

But to answer you question, I don't know lol. Initially I thought na... people want their physical drive... and maybe many who bought a 4K TV for their Pro or something, never got around to buying a 4K BluRay Player....

But now I think there might be many who are fine with settling with the PS5D, especially if they went mostly digital for the PS4 gen.

Chasing

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
......................maybe?

There's a lot of new factors at play here, I'm interested in seeing how it unfolds. Lower-specced machine, big price gap, digital only, MS-direct financing, gamepass. The split will be one of the more interesting things to track this generation.

Axel Stone

Jan 10, 2020
I'm honestly amazed that there are people here who think the console that plays the same games for almost 50% less money might not be the more popular sku.

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017
$200 is a big gap so it's difficult to predict what people will do. People buying consoles at launch are tipically not price cautious. Enthusiast are far more likely to have a 4K TV or even buy one with the console. But yeah the XSS will eventually outsell it, the price gap is too big I think. But expect the ratio to be a lot different then what it was for Xbox one and the X.

Basquiat

alt account
Banned
Apr 2, 2020
To those that are worried about XSX being left out to dry when it comes to optimisation... isn't the difference between the two consoles is just the GPU ? So the extra juice of the XSX is being used simply for a linear resolution / FPS bump. It should require practically 0 optimisation.

plow

Oct 28, 2017
I'm honestly amazed that there are people here who think the console that plays the same games for almost 50% less money might not be the more popular sku.

I'm honestly amazed that people think the casual crowd does not care for a disk drive. The same crowd that went nuts when MS announced they will not accept Used Games a few years ago.

Yes digital split got bigger, but the Physical split is still bigger in many many markets.

p3n

Oct 28, 2017
XSS is this generation's baseline. All 1st party and most third party games will be designed around the RAM and GPU limitations of the XSS. XSX is basically just an upscale machine that will run the exact same games at 4K-ish instead of (sub) 1080p and potentially at a more stable 30fps. Even at the massive losses MS must be eating with the XSX pricing, it is hard to recommend it over the XSS.

I think XSS will outsell XSX 4:1.

ProtossX

Jul 24, 2020
I have so many xbox/360/xb1 physical games that wouldn't work on XSS

I can't imagine buying an XSS compared to the XSX on that reason alone let alone how weak it is compared to ps5/xsx

XSS is not for me maybe for its other people but I dunno if they will outnumber people like me.

Axel Stone

Jan 10, 2020
I'm honestly amazed that people think the casual crowd does not care for a disk drive. The same crowd that went nuts when MS announced they will not accept Used Games a few years ago.

Yes digital split got bigger, but the Physical split is still bigger in many many markets.

Was that the casual crowd? Not sure the casual crowd watch E3 presentations, the reaction was mainly from the core gamer.

Dec 16, 2017
I think it's likely a matter of who puts out more systems this fall. The XSS has a very appealing price, but I need to see an actual graphics comparison of cross gen games since there's very few exclusives announced. Maybe that will change.

Axel Stone

Jan 10, 2020
This video had Millions of clicks, it was a huge huge PR disaster for MS, so big that they had to backtrack everything and completely change their planned philosophy. It wasn't just the core gamer that cared, it was really huge.

Lots of people watching an amusing video doesn't mean that much about where the backlash came from, but it's hard to quantify any way around.

Still, I maintain that most people aren't so wedded to physical that they want to maintain that over a $200 saving. That's huge.

Orbis

Oct 25, 2017
UK
It's a £200 difference in the UK which is pretty massive, hard to say what consumers will do though, plus we don't know how many of each are shipping. The Switch isn't really comparable, the difference is £80 and you lose a lot of the main selling points so it's not really worth it to most people. XSS is just a reduced spec machine, it will do everything the XSX does minus the disk drive.

plow

Oct 28, 2017
Game Pass didn't exist in 2013.

The casual crowd that plays COD, FIFA and Fortnite will not care for Gamepass. It will move Units, but will not dramatically change anything.

Lots of people watching an amusing video doesn't mean that much about where the backlash came from, but it's hard to quantify any way around.

Still, I maintain that most people aren't so wedded to physical that they want to maintain that over a $200 saving. That's huge.

As i said, in many markets the Split is still in favor of physical games.

Adrifi

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 5, 2019
the Spanish Basque Country
The casual crowd that plays COD, FIFA and Fortnite will not care for Gamepass. It will move Units, but will not dramatically change anything.

The casual market does care for Batman, DayZ, The Elder Scrolls Online TU, Fallout 76, No Man's Sky, Forza Horizon, World War Z, Dead by Daylight, Sea of Thieves... All those are huge games nowadays and are all on Game Pass.

Axel Stone

Jan 10, 2020

Sure, but there isn't currently a digital only option in those markets that will save you $200.

plow

Oct 28, 2017
The casual market does care for Batman, DayZ, The Elder Scrolls Online TU, Fallout 76, No Man's Sky, Forza Horizon, World War Z, Dead by Deadlight...

Elder Scrolls Online? World War Z? Dead by Deadlight? None of these sold even come close to what Fifa and COD move. I give you Batman and Forza, but the others are not games for the casual crowd at all.

rrently a digital only option in those markets that will save you $200.

Eh yes? It's called Xbox One S Digital Only and was sold for 99€ in Europe on Black Friday.

Axel Stone

Jan 10, 2020
Elder Scrolls Online? World War Z? Dead by Deadlight? None of these sold even come close to what Fifa and COD move. I give you Batman and Forza, but the others are not games for the casual crowd at all.

Eh yes? It's called Xbox One S Digital Only and was sold for 99€ in Europe on Black Friday.

While the non-digital version was going for what? €150? €200 at most.

Radium217

Banned
Oct 31, 2019
It's a tough call but I think it may actually. With people having less money these days and a lot of the casual audience just wanting to play, well, casually, it's an enticing offer.

Adrifi

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 5, 2019
the Spanish Basque Country
The casual market does care for Batman, DayZ, The Elder Scrolls Online TU, Fallout 76, No Man's Sky, Forza Horizon, World War Z, Dead by Deadlight...

Minecraft is also on Game Pass.

arrado

Jan 1, 2020
One thing they need to keep emphasizing is that the Series S is much bigger than One X. I have heard countless people (casual audience) claiming that the Series S is worse than One X. (Cuz 4tf < 6tf)

GuiltyGB

Apr 6, 2020
The pricing models are too good for most people to pass us. Xbox all access and a console for a monthly price? deal