• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DeoGame

Dec 11, 2018
I can't say I love the idea of a platform holder buying a massive publisher, but Bethesda needs some extra time for polish and Xbox more exclusives. That said, I did start with Elder Scrolls and Fallout on PS3 so I do feel a bit disappointed for my PS peers.

Thankfully, I think MS has made strides in breaking down barriers to gaming through PC and XCloud meaning a timed or full exclusive for them is less restrictive than one for Sony or Nintendo where you have to buy another system.

Tacitus

Oct 25, 2017
They were negotiating exclusivity?
tenor.gif

Aki

Mar 20, 2020
P
Would consolidation of publishers not result in funding of development?

I would say Microsoft is hardly a monopoly with how vast the game industry is.

If these are one off titles that wouldn't have existed without Microsoft or Sony's involvement then I'm okay with them. Money hatting is wrong no matter who does it.

and buying out a publisher like Bethesda is a huge blow to gaming. If Sony retaliates by also starting to buy other publishers then I'm worried at what the gaming landscape will be by the end of the gen.

klastical

Oct 29, 2017
A large chunk of PlayStation buyers will pick those games up on PC or buy an xbox to play them.

Some will play it on pc but if you think that Microsoft could hit 30 million sales just on pc and Xbox your fooling yourself. Its the same reason they don't make minecraft an xbox exclusive.

Plasma

Oct 25, 2017
Wait until this game is announced as an EGS timed exclusive
I don't think there's any chance of that happening, Microsoft haven't put any games up on EGS yet and neither have Bethesda who were trying to push people onto their own launcher. Also the only reason Microsoft have bought them in the first place is so they have more stuff to put on gamepass so making a game exclusive to the EGS would make zero sense.

SgtCobra

Oct 25, 2017
Then why aren't we all advocating for a single console industry that gets every title? That way everyone just needs a single system and they do not need to worry about availability. Well, we all know that's a silly concept — competition is good, and it's worth the cost of some gamers not having access to every game.

Microsoft was severely lacking on the console front compared to Sony. Everyone keeps calling this anti-consumer, however I see the strengthening of the Xbox brand as a positive. If it means Xbox and PS5 sales get closer to 50-50, it means more competition for Sony.

To create a distinction, I would not feel the same had Sony instead acquired Zenimax. Sony is the runaway leader of this generation, outselling the XB1 more than 2-to-1 and already has a substantial competitive advantage with their exclusives library. It's one thing for the market leader to increase their lead further and another for the brand getting outsold to become much stronger.

Maybe Sony losing a substantial portion of their exclusive portfolio competitive advantage means they will focus more on a Game Pass competitor. Maybe they will double down on their investment. There are numerous beneficial outcomes for everyone that extend beyond game availability.
Competition is important and very much needed in the console space I defintiely agree with you on that. But I have the feeling this whole buyout of devs and pubs is going to negatively impact the console AND PC space. You'll see Sony do the same and lock games for their own ecosystem while PC, Xbox and Nintendo players get the short end of the stick.

people waited well over 1.5 decades for a final fantasy 7 remake, only for Sony to gate it behind their hardware for at least a year.

so yeah, that's how it works nowadays. At least xbox seems to be more pro-consumer with this shit since you can play their games on PC.
An eye for an eye? If that's what people want this gen then that can only bode well for the whole industry /s
Look at other threads where people are crying for Sony to acquire publishers like Capcom or Square Enix, I've even seen Take Two and Ubisoft being thrown around.
Console manufacturers buying up big publishers who weren't in any serious danger is bad however you spin it. We don't know how Microsoft will handle this acquisition when it comes to where these games will be released, but they're locking millions of people out of many games if they keep them out of other consoles. But the acceptable response to this is "buy an Xbox" or "stream your games" I guess.
I'm just surprised at the reactions from this forum as timed or DLC exclusivity is seen as something from the devil himself while this is applauded. I thought people here were against buying pubs/devs unless they were struggling? Oh well.

Linkeds2

Nov 15, 2017
North Bay, CA
You're happy MS has full on exclusivity for an entire publishers catalog but unhappy that sony might have gotten a 1 year timed exclusive.

That doesn't really make sense to me.
I didn't like the fact that Sony was trying to do it with every AAA game short of EA/Ubisoft.
It's almost like they had a meeting at some point and the topic came up about "how many games could we possibly prevent coming to Xbox" and they started doing it.
Now with Bethesda under MS this is Karma coming back on them for trying to tip-toe their way into 3rd party exclusiveness.

this is still a bad deal if Bethesdais cut off from PlayStation completely. But honestly the timed exclusive act was starting to hurt Xbox so they had to do something

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
I didn't like the fact that Sony was trying to do it with every AAA game short of EA/Ubisoft.
It's almost like they had a meeting at some point and the topic came up about "how many games could we possibly prevent coming to Xbox" and they started doing it.
Now with Bethesda under MS this is Karma coming back on them for trying to tip-toe their way into 3rd party exclusiveness.

this is still a bad deal if Bethesdais cut off from PlayStation completely. But honestly the timed exclusive act was starting to hurt Xbox so they had to do something
Sony's whole existence as a company is dependent on the PS5 not being a failure. It's not really a surprise they have gone so hard trying to make their console appealing. And also those deals they made didn't mean the games couldn't come to Xbox at all. It was usually for a few months exclusivity. This deal means things like Elder Scrolls will be exclusive forever.

MeBecomingI

Oct 27, 2017
Glad Microsoft pulled the rug out from under Sony on this one then.

Right, so now PS5 owners will get fucked instead. Microsoft just did the same thing except instead of timed exclusivity they bought the entire fucking publisher to get timed exclusivity and permanent exclusivity. This isn't good for anyone or the industry, unless I guess if you're a fan boy then this is wonderful news!

I don't play their games but if this is the stance why all the threads crying about exclusive games all the time? Also Bethesda makes games across a multitude of genres and play styles. One doesn't need to like all their games.

Because people shift the goal posts all the time to fit their own agenda. It's bad that Sony got timed exclusivity on Final Fantasy 16, shame on them! But it's good that Microsoft bought an entire publisher to do the same to a ton of other big name franchises!

janoGX

Banned
Nov 29, 2017
Chile
If the deal was made than it doesn't matter, contractual obligations don't just disappear when the owner of the company changes. Even if the deal isn't finalised yet Bethesda cannot just walk away or Sony would have grounds to sue for negotiating in bad faith. Let's get some common sense back here folks.

If negotiations are still ongoing or they haven't signed it they can still back out or do re-negotiations now with Microsoft on the table.

Either Sony has to pay tons of money, more than the one they first negotiated, for a timed console exclusive that might get a Gamepass day 1 release on PC meaning that MS wins on that one, or MS backs out and leaves Starfield as an Xbox exclusive, which means MS wins on that one.

It's a win-win scenario.

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
This isn't good for anyone

Factually this isn't necessarily true. If you're a BGS fan who plays on PC, any deal with MS is for sure better than a deal with Sony (or Nintendo, but they aren't in this conversation).

This is also a win for Game Pass owners specifically since it's likely these titles will be on the service. I know in my household, we were going to be buying two copies of Starfield and TES6 because my wife and I can share everything but our Bethesda time lol. We own two copies of Skyrim and Oblivion for that reason (I don't care for Fallout for whatever reason, so we get away with one copy of those). But since you can game-share with Game Pass, we'll just each download a copy of it. Maybe even buy them just in case, but Game Pass games come with a discount so even then, it's easier on the wallet for GP subscribers.

This is not to minimize the concerns of people who may not want to buy a PC or Xbox or xCloud device for various reasons, but I just wanted to highlight that there is a sizable number of people who benefit here.

SpaceCrystal

Banned
Apr 1, 2019
LMFAO @ Sony.

Sony sure does love timed exclusivity

I am so glad that Microsoft made this purchase.

Sick and tired of these timed exclusivity deals Sony makes.

Nah, as a Sony fan, I hate how they are buying up timed exclusives. They were behaving like Microsoft was during the 360 era.
Either make the game completely exclusive by funding the development (like SF5) or just leave them be.

This consolidation of publishers is worrying. I wouldn't want Sony to buy Square or Capcom, we don't need monopolies.

Sony doesn't have the kind of money to buy full exclusivity nowadays, let alone a huge 3rd party company.

Last edited:

DopeyFish

Oct 25, 2017
it actually makes sense why it never happened

Bethesda likely wouldn't exist without MS or Xbox. Bethesda was on the verge of going under when making Morrowind. MS is the one that convinced them (and helped) to bring Morrowind to Xbox... and Morrowind was a *MASSIVE* success on Xbox compared to PC. 4 million on Xbox compared to 300,000 on PC by August 06. It continued with Oblivion and eventually they really took off as a third party studio.

without MS/Xbox fans, they probably wouldn't exist today so they probably didn't want to stab their fans/partner in the back.

like yeah... deathloop and ghostwire are whatever... but a mainline bethesda RPG not showing up on Xbox? you'd be stupid to think it was a possibility and sony is stupid if they actually tried it.

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
Just the same it doesn't make sense to me that you think people are happy with a ton of timed exclusives.
People obviously weren't if you looked at all the negative topics Sony has gotten recently. It just seems odd that those same people that hated timed exclusives of Individual games are now happy about full on exclusivity of entire publisher catalogs.

Biggzy

Oct 27, 2017
LMFAO @ Sony.

Sony doesn't have the kind of money to buy full exclusivity nowadays, let alone a huge 3rd party company.

Actually Sony has enough cash reserves to buy a SE for example if they truly wanted to. The only issue is that spending $7.5 billion to Microsoft is just Tuesday to them while for Sony it would be a pretty major deal and a very significant outlay.

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
People obviously weren't if you looked at all the negative topics Sony has gotten recently. It just seems odd that those same people that hated timed exclusives of Individual games are now happy about full on exclusivity of entire publisher catalogs.

Yeah, like I'm saying, I remember you posting in at least a few of them.

Typhon

Oct 25, 2017
Too bad, I might have actually got to play it and it would have made it to all systems eventually. I think that would have been the better deal for consumers.

Deleted member 14927

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
can we not downplay this.....MS might have ALOT of cash in the reserves but purchase a company for 7.5billion isn't 'just tuesday'......Not even for Apple.
Well this is a company that bought LinkedIn for $26bn, Skype for $8.5bn, GitHub for $7.5bn

Sometimes it's straight out cash, others part cash and part stock. GitHub was bought using stock from memory..

PianoBlack

May 24, 2018
United States
it actually makes sense why it never happened

Bethesda likely wouldn't exist without MS or Xbox. Bethesda was on the verge of going under when making Morrowind. MS is the one that convinced them (and helped) to bring Morrowind to Xbox... and Morrowind was a *MASSIVE* success on Xbox compared to PC. 4 million on Xbox compared to 300,000 on PC by August 06. It continued with Oblivion and eventually they really took off as a third party studio.

without MS/Xbox fans, they probably wouldn't exist today so they probably didn't want to stab their fans/partner in the back.

like yeah... deathloop and ghostwire are whatever... but a mainline bethesda RPG not showing up on Xbox? you'd be stupid to think it was a possibility and sony is stupid if they actually tried it.

Off topic but holy shit, I never realized how abysmal Morrowind PC sales were. I retroactively forgive them for the console focus in Oblivion/Skyrim and will do penance for my years of PC gamer rage as a youth.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
Well this is a company that bought LinkedIn for $26bn, Skype for $8.5bn, GitHub for $7.5bn

Sometimes it's straight out cash, others part cash and part stock. GitHub was bought using stock from memory..

yeah..And nvidia bought Mellanox last year for 6.9bil followed by a 40bil (cash+stock options) ARM purchase........you are saying like MS is the only company in the world capable of doing this and spending billions is chump change.

For MS, the LinkedIn acquisition has not yield much rewards, it took forever before MS pivoted skype into their Corporate solutions and as for Github, it's anyone's guess whether the opensource community will fully embraced it.

I am not downplaying MS acqusition of Bethesda, but i am confounded by people's idea that MS can just throw billions around to buy companies left and right like it's another tuesday without any considerations. The Bethesda acquistion did not took place just last week or last month....a deal this big took years to set it up and the reason why we only heard it now is because Bethesda's private.

harry the spy

Oct 25, 2017
You're happy MS has full on exclusivity for an entire publishers catalog but unhappy that sony might have gotten a 1 year timed exclusive.

That doesn't really make sense to me.
Most Pc gamers here are like most other people on this forum, hypocrites. They mostly care about getting the game on their platform of choice, not the principle or how many people get prevented from playing the game at as all. If sony gets exclusivity the game doesn't release on pc right away. If Microsoft gets exclusivity the game probably release on both Xbox and pc through game pass but never on PlayStation.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
Off topic but holy shit, I never realized how abysmal Morrowind PC sales were. I retroactively forgive them for the console focus in Oblivion/Skyrim and will do penance for my years of PC gamer rage as a youth.

The numbers as posted are not accurate. 300k were the sales of Morrowind in the US only until 2002 and 4 million is the total number of Morrowind sales on all platforms until 2012.

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017

I never played Morrowind but I remember seeing this and thinking this game looks crazy

Biggzy

Oct 27, 2017

And Microsoft was just in negotiations for TikTok, as well as heavily rumoured for WB Games. In fact they are set to spend $40 billion on acquisitions this year.

The point I was making is that if Microsoft really believes a purchase like Bethesda is crucial to their strategy being fulfilled they will do it with minimal hesitation, while for Sony they would have to think about it very hard.

PianoBlack

May 24, 2018
United States
The numbers as posted are not accurate. 300k were the sales of Morrowind in the US only until 2002 and 4 million is the total number of Morrowind sales on all platforms until 2012.

I mean, I know it's just Wikipedia but I was so blown away by that stat that I tried to verify and this is what it says: "In the United States, Morrowind's computer version sold 300,000 copies and earned $11.7 million by August 2006, after its release in April 2002. It was the country's 62nd best-selling computer game between January 2000 and August 2006. Combined sales of all Elder Scrolls computer games released between those dates had reached 990,000 units in the United States by August 2006.[75]"

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
I mean, I know it's just Wikipedia but I was so blown away by that stat that I tried to verify and this is what it says: "In the United States, Morrowind's computer version sold 300,000 copies and earned $11.7 million by August 2006, after its release in April 2002. It was the country's 62nd best-selling computer game between January 2000 and August 2006. Combined sales of all Elder Scrolls computer games released between those dates had reached 990,000 units in the United States by August 2006.[75]"

I'm sorry, I posted 2002 instead of 2006.

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney
Most Pc gamers here are like most other people on this forum, hypocrites. They mostly care about getting the game on their platform of choice, not the principle or how many people get prevented from playing the game at as all. If sony gets exclusivity the game doesn't release on pc right away. If Microsoft gets exclusivity the game probably release on both Xbox and pc through game pass but never on PlayStation.

This is a really bizarre moral standard you're trying to apply here.

PC gamers tend to dislike exclusives in general, so to try and lecture them about how exclusives deny people access to games is silly.