• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

M.Bluth

Oct 25, 2017
I am so glad that Microsoft made this purchase.

Sick and tired of these timed exclusivity deals Sony makes.
You have access to them. You can get them on Xbox, you can get them on PC and you will in future be able to get them via XCloud. Or are people somewhat allergic to getting Microsoft hardware?
Same here. Maybe MS just got sick of tired of Sony's timed exclusivity purchases.
lmao

Aki

Mar 20, 2020
Nah, as a Sony fan, I hate how they are buying up timed exclusives. They were behaving like Microsoft was during the 360 era.
Either make the game completely exclusive by funding the development (like SF5) or just leave them be.

This consolidation of publishers is worrying. I wouldn't want Sony to buy Square or Capcom, we don't need monopolies.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I would not be shocked if they DID lock it down.
I thought for sure Sony was going to lock down Starfield, but after this news and Phil Spencer's message, I'm certain it will now be Microsoft exclusive.

From Phil's message:
One of the things that has me most excited is seeing the roadmap with Bethesda's future games, some announced and many unannounced, to Xbox console and PC including Starfield, the highly anticipated, new space epic currently in development by Bethesda Game Studios

SgtCobra

Oct 25, 2017
This how things should work.

I'm a fan of From software games and when they announced Bloodborne as a Ps4 esclusive i didn't cry, I simply bought a Ps4 and played the game there and I will do the same for God of War II.

Brand attachment is a disease.
TBH if gaming is a hobby you probably shouldn't stick to one platform
Not everyone is able to have multiple consoles or a capable PC at home due to several reasons. But I guess you both know that.

Last edited:

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
TBH if gaming is a hobby you probably shouldn't stick to one platform
Yup.

I have 2 Switch games, no console because I don't want the Lite and prices are sky high for the normal one.

I have GPU, and hope my credit card comes in time for Series X pre orders.

Its expensive, but worth it IMO.

Frag Waffles

Apr 7, 2018
I am so glad that Microsoft made this purchase.

Sick and tired of these timed exclusivity deals Sony makes.
As a PlayStation fan, I somewhat feel the same.

These stupid vague and misleading "exclusivity" deals are completely pointless and add exactly zero value to these platforms. Now, I know that if I want to play Bethesda games, my options are clear. PC/XBOX for sure, or take a gamble with PlayStation. No guesswork, no reading between the lines.

gremlinz1982

Aug 11, 2018
Again, with this narrative that MS bought a whole publisher because Sony invested in three temporary exclusives. You really think that a business would shell out 7.5 billions for this nonsense...Really? MS pulls the worst "dickish" move in an eternity and Sony is still responsible somehow? Truly fascinating when the masks are off...
At least the anti-consumers mantra that the usual suspects have been singing will no longer pollute the pages of the forum.
We have gone through an entire generation where Sony has had a lot of timed DLC and timed exclusive games. It did not just start with the games you mentioned.

Finally, go through my post history. I have always said that these companies need to spend in ways that they see fit.......because this is what all businesses do. I have stated that Microsoft needed to spend money, but my preference would have been that they get more content to Game Pass as opposed to timed stuff.

I have never ever taken anything personally against Sony because they are a business looking out for their shareholders. Their moves simply meant that for people like me, playing titles on PS4 made sense at times. That is just the way some of these things work out. However, being someone that plays primarily on Xbox consoles, this is a phenomenal move once one considers the value that exists on Game Pass.

'Dickish'? Nonsense. Microsoft wants that consumer decision to be harder. They want to be part of the conversation once again and the least of their worries should be people that have no interest in getting their console, playing their games on PC, or simply not interested in Xcloud.

Oct 27, 2017
As a PlayStation fan, I somewhat feel the same.

These stupid vague and misleading "exclusivity" deals are completely pointless and add exactly zero value to these platforms. Now, I know that if I want to play Bethesda games, my options are clear. PC/XBOX for sure, or take a gamble with PlayStation. No guesswork, no reading between the lines.
I remember this being a thing during the PS3/360 era but it seems like it's affected every other game these days and is just frustrating with the exclusivity agreements ranging so wildly. Completely agree with you.

I do hope that (I know Phil said they'll determine on a case by case basis) they keep major franchises like Fallout and Elder Scrolls etc. multiplatform and are clear about their intentions as it feels right to not shut out any platforms there. The fact that they'll be on Gamepass immediately gives me the impression that it's a pretty likely possibility that they'll be open to doing this.

BobLoblaw

This Guy Helps
Oct 27, 2017
While I'm not going to say this is a good thing by any measure, it is good to know that these games will be available on PC, most likely day and date with the console release. With Sony, you couldn't tell shit with their elusiveness. And even if you could, you'd likely be forced to buy a PS to play them. As shitty as this situation is, at least we know we'll have two platforms to chose from without any ambiguity.

Jade1962

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Only for the people it benefits
If you are an actual fan of Bethesda games you will go where their games are.

If you stick to Playstation it's your fault.

I don't play their games but if this is the stance why all the threads crying about exclusive games all the time? Also Bethesda makes games across a multitude of genres and play styles. One doesn't need to like all their games.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
I don't play their games but if this is the stance why all the threads crying about exclusive games all the time? Also Bethesda makes games across a multitude of genres and play styles. One doesn't need to like all their games.
I'm simply pointing out when people say

"it's only exclusive for a year "

is like hearing "it's ok you're only getting fucked over for a year " by someone who never gets fucked over.

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
It seems that Bethesda was looking for an injection of cash anyway. Microsoft and Bethesda to me always had a relationship as close as Sony and Square. I was very surprised to see those PlayStation moneyhats. Little did we know...

SgtCobra

Oct 25, 2017
So get an Xbox, instead of a PS5?
I will buy neither, I consider myself lucky that I can play everything on a PC by the time next gen is here. The thing is that I don't like the hypocrisy shown today in these threads, but I guess big publishers going exclusive is okay as long as it benefits your personal situation.

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
www.resetera.com

Imran Khan: "Sony has locked timed exclusivity for some huge and widely known multiplatform games" News

think about games that involve outer space and/or guns

edit: to be clear, this was referring to starfield at the time
Ah. Interesting. Makes sense. Though, I suppose we have different definitions for the word "locked", then.

As for this situation vs Sony timed exclusivity, I have to point out that there is a huge qualitative difference between exclusivity by MS and exclusivity by Sony. First, I'm not convinced that this WILL BE a full exclusive for Xbox. I wouldn't be surprised, but I don't think it's guaranteed.

But consider this. What does an "Xbox Exclusive" mean in terms of availability? Well, Day 1, you'll be able to access it on Xbox. And on Win 10 for PCs. And most likely for Steam. And on Android through xCloud. And by the time Starfield is released, probably on iPhone, streaming through a browser, on smart TVs. ALL ON DAY ONE. And if you take the example of Cuphead and the Oris, eventually on Switch too. You can play the latest Xbox Exclusive and EVERY Xbox Exclusive for just $15 and no Xbox hardware.

What does a "PlayStation Exclusive" mean? I have to own a PlayStation and maybe it'll be on PC day 1.

They're different.

Godzilla24

Nov 12, 2017
It seems that Bethesda was looking for an injection of cash anyway. Microsoft and Bethesda to me always had a relationship as close as Sony and Square. I was very surprised to see those PlayStation moneyhats. Little did we know...
That money sort of laundered itself into MS hands anyway...hahaha.

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
Jim Ryan sees Phil Spencer walking out of Bethesda (2020 colorized)
432a4a281662223cf5b94f616d4c7711.png

Tito

Oct 28, 2017
Xbox Serious X with Gamepass looking more and more appealing every day. Impossible to ignore IMO.

data

Oct 25, 2017
Nah, as a Sony fan, I hate how they are buying up timed exclusives. They were behaving like Microsoft was during the 360 era.
Either make the game completely exclusive by funding the development (like SF5) or just leave them be.

This consolidation of publishers is worrying. I wouldn't want Sony to buy Square or Capcom, we don't need monopolies.
Would consolidation of publishers not result in funding of development?

I would say Microsoft is hardly a monopoly with how vast the game industry is.

zaxil456

Aug 4, 2020
I actually think MS dropped the ball announcing this. This shouldve been shown at a conference. The impact of seeing Doom, Starfield and Elder Scrolls all exclusive to Xbox would have hit hard for people lining up to buy PS5s.

Makes you wonder if they have more that they haven't said, that they're trying to save for the next conference.

Their PR is often criticized but revealing this information the day before pre-orders is brilliant.

Last edited:

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
Damn so this is how it works nowadays huh

people waited well over 1.5 decades for a final fantasy 7 remake, only for Sony to gate it behind their hardware for at least a year.

so yeah, that's how it works nowadays. At least xbox seems to be more pro-consumer with this shit since you can play their games on PC.

inspectah

Oct 28, 2017
Germany
Short question about Gamepass:
Can I cancel it on a monthly basis?
I.e. great game releases, I get a subscription for one month and cancel it when I'm finished.

El-Pistolero

Banned
Jan 4, 2018

The brigade is singing a different tune now. Are you surprised? People should normally be against, as a MS with the weight of MS, once unleashed as it has been since it embraced the streaming/cloud mantra, is a threat to a competitive market. Not Nintendo, not Sony...Microsoft. You would think that people would not want them to start gobbling entire publishing entities up, if only to preserve a healthy competitive dynamic, but those people are still too enraged over Sony anti-consumers practices...of delaying their product by 6 months. Expect other publishers to follow suit...Sad prospect, really.

Oct 27, 2017
Dunno why but this sounds like an innocent child going to the store to buy stuff with a bunch of candy instead of money.

What a weird thing to look back on considering today.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Microsoft and Bethesda go waaaaaaaay back. It's like Sony tried to court the wrong girl too many times and MS was just like..."step the fuck back I'm puttin' a ring on it"

ArmadilloGame

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
The brigade is singing a different tune now. Are you surprised? People should normally be against, as a MS with the weight of MS, once unleashed as it has been since it embraced the streaming/cloud mantra, is a threat to a competitive market. Not Nintendo, not Sony...Microsoft. You would think that people would not want them to start gobbling entire publishing entities up, if only to preserve a healthy competitive dynamic, but those people are still too enraged over Sony anti-consumers practices...of delaying their product by 6 months. Expect other publishers to follow suit...Sad prospect, really.

My take is that the netflix model is the pro cosumer futute and MS is the one pushing it forward. They will not be the only option, but they look to be the first big one with at least a 5 year head start. MS is netflix; there will be a Disney and an HBOMax coming, though it will take real change and lots of players will get bought or left in the dust in the process (your CBS/NBCs if you will). One eventual player will probably be Sony, though right now they are actively trying to sit on their market leading status quo as long as possible. Moves like this force the industry as a whole to change faster, and so I am for it.

Black_Red

Oct 27, 2017
This how things should work.

I'm a fan of From software games and when they announced Bloodborne as a Ps4 esclusive i didn't cry, I simply bought a Ps4 and played the game there and I will do the same for God of War II.

Brand attachment is a disease.
The biggest difference, is that by tying bloodborne to PS4 we cant play it on 60 FPS.

At leas with MS you have the option to play the games on a PC at a good framerate.