105-Shake

Aug 13, 2020
How about the consumers that don't have Gamepass how is it a win for those?

You can still buy those games. Microsoft hasn't stopped selling their games just because gamepass exist. At least now you won't have games locked into a console for an undetermined amount of time if you play on PC, after the Deathloop and Ghostwire games

Feb 1, 2018
Europe
If MS buys it, i can still play it on Pc, and there is a chance of Switch.

if Sony buys something, its maybe on pc 6 months to 2 years later, if they feel like it.
TBH this is true, MS has been a much more consumer friendly company the last generation. Their goal was always much bigger, bringing gaming to a huge audience (GP, PC, xCloud). In a way, Sony is still stuck 10 years ago, in the classic console business. By winning, they might have forgotten to think ahead.

Anyway... both companies have killer games next gen, I am sure they will both do fine and will both produce killer gameplay. Competition si good.

AbsoluteZ3R0

Feb 5, 2019
1 platform, then all the rest later.
VS
2 platforms.

How is the former not better than the latter? I'm going to need people to drop the sarcasm this morning if this wasn't a serious post, because it's getting more and more difficult to decode today.
I would say launching on 2 platforms is much better than launching on single platform and rest getting maybe a year after. Most games get their sales on the first few weeks and also the hype significantly dies down afterwards. Like imagine waiting an year for a game that you were really looking forward to play, when everyone else is talking about it and playing it.

Sia

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jun 9, 2020
Canada
Hmm Streaming on Canada's crap internet and getting high input lag. Or buying a 299 under powered console. I mean I could have played their games before. Now I can't simple as that. Even with this acquisition its not enough for me to budget buying another console, Nintendo has nintendo games so I have to buy a switch and Sony games are too good. I guess I will just skip Bethesda games for now.

tazmin

Oct 30, 2017
Nintendo right now, completely on the sidelines and uninvolved with all this craziness between Sony and MS:
tenor.gif
Nintendo will get a slice of the pie before Sony does methinks

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I'll never pick a situation that'll exclude a subset of gamers forever that's just not a choice in my book
Sony option excludes more people to enjoy their products. MS has been consistently releasing games on other plattforms for years even with their prestige AAA games . Sony has not

Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo will get a slice of the pie before Sony does methinks
100%
I said in another thread I can actually see Nintendo maybe getting current gen/last ports of games that weren't financially viable before (ie. Prey, Dishonored, etc) and any smaller titles from those studios.

Sony ain't getting shit after the games they've currently secured some level of exclusivity for

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
Hmm Streaming on Canada's crap internet and getting high input lag. Or buying a 299 under powered console. I mean I could have played their games before. Now I can't simple as that. Even with this acquisition its not enough for me to budget buying another console, Nintendo has nintendo games so I have to buy a switch and Sony games are too good. I guess I will just skip Bethesda games for now.

I'm deeply sorry for your loss

We all should be obligated to buy ps5s or wait in eternity for "maybes" to avoid upsetting you

klastical

Oct 29, 2017
Damn yeah, forgot about that LMAO. Starfield will probs be showed off more in June next year so it makes sense. We'll get news on platforms then I'm guessing.

Yeah no shit, people were still pushing the idea that it might be a timed exclusive because MS don't want to miss out on profits but it'll be a full exclusive.

Why would Microsoft spend billions of dollars acquiring a company just to turn around and tell that company to loose billions of dollars in sales by going exclusive to Xbox?

Otakukidd

The cutest v-tuber
Oct 25, 2017
1 platform, then all the rest later.
VS
2 platforms.

How is the former not better than the latter? I'm going to need people to drop the sarcasm this morning if this wasn't a serious post, because it's getting more and more difficult to decode today.
Cause with Bethesda it's not 1 platform then rest later vs 2 platforms. It's 2 platforms with Xbox later vs just 2 platforms.
Deathloop and Tokyo ghostwire pc version are releasing the same day.

So really how is it better? The only developer that Sony deals with that does pc dates later is square and they always do pc later even when there is no deal in place like with 15.

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
I would say launching on 2 platforms is much better than launching on single platform and rest getting maybe a year after. Most games get their sales on the first few weeks and also the hype significantly dies down afterwards. Like imagine waiting an year for a game that you were really looking forward to play, when everyone else is talking about it and playing it.

So it's okay that a huge number of people don't get to play a game at all, because it feels better for a game to launch on the other platforms simultaneously rather than a small window of timed exclusivity?

Just to be clear since other posters are muddying the waters a bit, we're talking about:
Sony having timed exclusivity of Starfield on PS platforms, after which it can release on any/all other platforms/services.
vs
MS buying the company itself and making the game exclusive to only XB/GP/PC.

It's hard not to see the responses in here as anything other than goal post moving and "I want it day one on PC so I don't care how it hurts other consumers/fans in order for that to happen." This isn't a defense of timed exclusivity, but a condemnation of buying studios wholesale to withhold them from competing platforms. So choosing between one of the two options above, a timed exclusivity allows more people to play the game period, and also doesn't involve further consolidation of the industry. I don't think that's an unreasonable stance at all.

Sia

Banned
Jun 9, 2020
Canada
I'm deeply sorry for your loss

We all should be obligated to buy ps5s or wait in eternity for "maybes" to avoid upsetting you
Huh, I don't really understand your tone. I would be fine if their games were xbox pc exclusive and would come out to switch or ps5 after 1 or 2 years. Permanent exclusivity is completely different.... In fact I am picking up ori for the switch when it comes out physically. Timed exclusivity is always better than permanent.

tazmin

Oct 30, 2017
100%
I said in another thread I can actually see Nintendo maybe getting current gen/last ports of games that weren't financially viable before (ie. Prey, Dishonored, etc) and any smaller titles from those studios.

Sony ain't getting shit after the games they've currently secured some level of exclusivity for
Nintendo will sweeten the deal with inclusion of their ips in Smash etc
Nintendo didn't even do much in terms acquisition this gen and they stand to benefit the biggest bar Microsoft

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
Huh, I don't really understand your tone. I would be fine if their games were xbox pc exclusive and would come out to switch or ps5 after 1 or 2 years. Permanent exclusivity is completely different.... In fact I am picking up ori for the switch when it comes out physically. Timed exclusivity is always better than permanent.

We have nothing confirmed Starfield is a permanent xbox exclusive yet
Meanwhile the "timed" FF7R still under the sheets when/if its coming anywhere else and dont get me started on Spiderman (which no, sony doesnt own)

Deleted member 33412

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 16, 2017
Tokyo
If I was Sony I would fire Jim Ryan. I don't think he is the right man for the job. You going to need some remarkable leadership to outmaneuver MS this generation.

CrispyGamer

Banned
Jan 4, 2020
Sony option excludes more people to enjoy their products. MS has been consistently releasing games on other plattforms for years even with their prestige AAA games . Sony has not
How does it exclude more people when it's "timed" and coming eventually...you know what it's all good we'll agree to disagree at the end of the day i just think it's bad form for people to be happy that PlayStation isn't getting a game they are traditionally used to getting that's all, timed exclusivity is something all the major companies do but i guess going forward they'll just buy the publisher smh it's not good for gaming

CrispyGamer

Banned
Jan 4, 2020
So it's okay that a huge number of people don't get to play a game at all, because it feels better for a game to launch on the other platforms simultaneously rather than a small window of timed exclusivity?

Just to be clear since other posters are muddying the waters a bit, we're talking about:
Sony having timed exclusivity of Starfield on PS platforms, after which it can release on any/all other platforms/services.
vs

It's hard not to see the responses in here as anything other than goal post moving and "I want it day one on PC so I don't care how it hurts other consumers/fans in order for that to happen." This isn't a defense of timed exclusivity, but a condemnation of buying studios wholesale to withhold them from competing platforms. So choosing between one of the two options above, a timed exclusivity allows more people to play the game period, and also doesn't involve further consolidation of the industry. I don't think that's an unreasonable stance at all.
Excellent post

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
Starfield will be too big for them to allow on PlayStation. The next big Bethesda series exclusive to Xbox (and PC)? That's the kind of game to love systems and game pass subs.
I'm looking at this the opposite way. Games like TES and Fallout are too big to keep exclusive, while games like wolfenstein are fine. I guess it depends on how much MS is willing to lose on this 7.5 billions deal at the end. Allowing smaller games to be multi tho makes no sense to me. The revenue lost on them is not big enough to justify losing exclusive content for gamepass.

Deleted member 61469

Banned
Nov 17, 2019
I'm looking at this the opposite way. Games like TES and Fallout are too big to keep exclusive, while games like wolfenstein are fine. I guess it depends on how much MS is willing to lose on this 7.5 billions deal at the end. Allowing smaller games to be multi tho makes no sense to me. The revenue lost on them is not big enough to justify losing exclusive content for gamepass.

Yeah, it honestly wouldn't surprise me if the big hitters are multiplat.

However, you're not considering that those games are next-gen only. There is no 100 million PS4 install base to consider. Both are starting from scratch and if Sony doesn't sell a humongous amount of consoles by the time they release, why even consider releasing on the console?

Godzilla24

Nov 12, 2017

vs

Sony purchased Insomniac games. Now we won't get their games on Xbox or PC. Works both ways.

rrc1594

Oct 25, 2017

This is how I see, but Fallout 5 is so far away I can see not being on PS

El-Pistolero

Banned
Jan 4, 2018
Sony purchased Insomniac games. Now we won't get their games on Xbox or PC. Works both ways.

Insomniac released two games for platforms other than the PS, and those two BOMBED. Every other thing they worked on has been for the PS family of consoles. Do not insult people's intelligence by equating their acquisition to MS buying Bethesda.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
Why would Microsoft spend billions of dollars acquiring a company just to turn around and tell that company to loose billions of dollars in sales by going exclusive to Xbox?

For the same reason Sony doesn't release Uncharted and Horizon Zero Dawn on Xbox, thus giving up millions of potential sales?

Lylo

Oct 25, 2017
I think this games' exclusivity aggressivnes from Sony will hurt them (it's already hurting...), of course Microsoft would not let Sony get everything and do nothing. Honestly, aside from first party games, exclusivity deals are bad for the industry and now we are seeing its side effects...

Godzilla24

Nov 12, 2017
Insomniac released two games for platforms other than the PS, and those two BOMBED. Every other thing they worked on has been for the PS family of consoles. Do not insult people's intelligence by equating their acquisition to MS buying Bethesda.
Sony is too busy buying timed exclusivity to keep games off xbox for certain periods of time. The only difference between MS and Sony is MS has the funds to pull this off. Sony if had the chance would be even more ruthless. I have no doubt about it.

Uhtred

Alt Account
Banned
May 4, 2020
If someone was going to buy them, I'm happy it was MS. Sony would just hold it hostage on their console indefinitely. Microsoft puts it out on PC and anywhere you can stream from their platform as well.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020

So... ethically it's more acceptable, as long as your multiplat games didn't sell that well, and you've only made a few of them? Do I have that right?

I'll always chuckle at the mental gymnastics people do to justify some studios acquisitions over others.

AbsoluteZ3R0

Feb 5, 2019

Most game sales are around the launch, so, even when it comes to other platform later on, lots of people just loses interest in it. If you were interested enough it would force you to buy another console and if not you would very likely just lose your interest before it comes out. While timed exclusive allow bigger potential customer, I don't think it is guaranteed that more people would play it if were to be multi platform simultaneous launch. Also I would not call a year "small window" of time.

El-Pistolero

Banned
Jan 4, 2018
Sony is too busy buying timed exclusivity to keep games off xbox for certain periods of time. The only difference between MS and Sony is MS has the funds to pull this off. Sony if had the chance would be even more ruthless. I have no doubt about it.

Who cares about possible, alternative realities? We can only comment on the one that we live in, right here, right now. Again, how is waiting for games for 6 months to a year equivalent to not having access to them? Enlighten me, please...

think this games' exclusivity aggressivnes from Sony will hurt them (it's already hurting...), of course Microsoft would not let Sony get everything and do nothing. Honestly, aside from first party games, exclusivity deals are bad for the industry and now we are seeing its side effects...

MS did not do this because mean, bad Sony screwed them over two temporary exclusives. That is ridiculous to even entertain...