Status
Not open for further replies.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
TLOU2 is the mostly likely game to come out based on the fact that its a sequel, not a new IP and ND has proven they can pump out AAA games in just a couple of years. They're arguably the best developer in the world.

Sucker Punch admitted GoT was only 55% done at E3 last year, obviously we don't know what that means but it doesn't sound good for 2019.

Death Stranding has shown almost nothing outside of cutscenes, we've seen games put out huge gameplay trailers that look polished and finished like Days Gone back in 2016 and that ended up being 3 years away, DS doesn't even have that. New IPs don't take 3 years to make, especially open world ones with the type of visual fidelity that this game is showing off. It would still be extremely impressive if they got it out in 2020.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I just don't see those 3 making 2019, except for maaaaybe TLoU II can make the holiday season. Then would Sony even want to release it then or delay it until early next year seeing as it's their preferred time slot AND it'd mean extra time to polish and finish it.

It'll mean 2020 is a super stacked year for Sony though. Those 3, the PS5, and I think Horizon 2 will probably be a PS5 launch title. At least one of the previous 3 will also probably be a launch title, though it remains to be seen if both versions would release simultaneously or the PS4 one earlier in the year.
The thing is, we've had several hints that Death Stranding and TLoU Part II could be ready to release this year. Both began the localisation process last year and you don't normally see that happen more than 12 months ahead of time. Early 2020 is no more of a 'preferred' time slot for Sony, than the holiday 2019 either - it just so happens that delays have made it seem that way.

Death Stranding has shown almost nothing outside of cutscenes, we've seen games put out huge gameplay trailers that look polished and finished like Days Gone back in 2016 and that ended up being 3 years away, DS doesn't even have that. New IPs don't take 3 years to make, especially open world ones with the type of visual fidelity that this game is showing off. It would still be extremely impressive if they got it out in 2020.
Damn, how surprised are you going to be if Death Stranding makes September 2019? Given that its development has been fast tracked more than any game I've seen in recent memory, and even Sony is surprised at the pace in which the game has come together, it's not surprising at all.

Aside from that, what about Days Gone looked "polished and finished" back in 2016?

Dec 9, 2018
New Jersey
The thing is, we've had several hints that Death Stranding and TLoU Part II could be ready to release this year. Both began the localisation process last year and you don't normally see that happen more than 12 months ahead of time. Early 2020 is no more of a 'preferred' time slot for Sony, than the holiday 2019 either - it just so happens that delays have made it seem that way.

Damn, how surprised are you going to be if Death Stranding makes September 2019? Given that its development has been fast tracked more than any game I've seen in recent memory, and even Sony is surprised at the pace in which the game has come together, it's not surprising at all.

Aside from that, what about Days Gone looked "polished and finished" back in 2016?
Looking at the first gameplay reveal of Days Gone versus the World Series trailers, there's been a substantial improvement in graphical fidelity, animations, level pop-in commonly seen in Unreal Engine 4 games, and smoothness of gameplay in the new footage. I'm not counting the PAX 2019 emo since that's based on the alpha build.

Dabi3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Playing through RE2 on the Pro is raising my hype levels for Days Gone. I can't lie, I was pretty fatigued on zombies this console gen. but RE2 made me realize we've had less than a handful of AAA zombie games with that Sony first-party polish.

Oct 25, 2017
Playing through RE2 on the Pro is raising my hype levels for Days Gone. I can't lie, I was pretty fatigued on zombies this console gen. but RE2 made me realize we've had less than a handful of AAA zombie games with that Sony first-party polish.
Exactly. Days Gone would actually be one of the very few big, quality and polished zombie games this gen.

fanboy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Slovakia

I am reaaally looking forward to days gone, but after playing RE 2 I would take RE 3 remake instead of DG without hesitation.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Do you have a link to it?
https://www.reddit.com/r/PS4/comments/9x2r4f/sony_is_not_going_to_appear_in_e3_next_year/
The important points are: PS5 is a "monster", small reveal mid 2019 with the bigger showcase in PSX, targeted price is 499, PSVR2 doesnt have breakout box, both PSVR2 and DS5 having cameras (before you jump on privacy invasions etc. patents have shown that they have been looking specifically into depth cameras and these kidns of things really wont get much useful information outside of the size of your room) in order to allow inside out tracking (i assume in order to keep PSVR2 more accessible to the masses), new PSMove, sony experimenting with gloves. Either march or nov 2020 releases. IMO if they really reveal in mid 2019, no reason to launch in late 2020.

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
Yep we had so very few of them on the PS4 this fatigue talk never made sense.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
tbh, i also dont like the idea of a 499$ console.
but if it means that next gen bar will be set higher, then i will take it.

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hard to believe considering how they nailed the launch price for PS4.

$499 is too much for a console launch.

Dabi3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
https://www.reddit.com/r/PS4/comments/9x2r4f/sony_is_not_going_to_appear_in_e3_next_year/
The important points are: PS5 is a "monster", small reveal mid 2019 with the bigger showcase in PSX, targeted price is 499, PSVR2 doesnt have breakout box, both PSVR2 and DS5 having cameras (before you jump on privacy invasions etc. patents have shown that they have been looking specifically into depth cameras and these kidns of things really wont get much useful information outside of the size of your room) in order to allow inside out tracking (i assume in order to keep PSVR2 more accessible to the masses), new PSMove, sony experimenting with gloves. Either march or nov 2020 releases. IMO if they really reveal in mid 2019, no reason to launch in late 2020.

The leaker did mention that Anthem would be a technical mess...

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Sony must be crazy to release PS5 at $499! I don't believe it.

Well think about it this way. People who want to play PS5 games can either shell out $500 for the console, or can shell out a subscription fee to play most of those games on PS Now using their PS4, PC, TV, phone, tablet, or whatever. That's what I'm guessing the options will be. The heavy hitting AAA titles probably won't be on day 1, or anywhere near day 1, but a lot of other titles probably will be, not to mention whatever else they add to the catalog.

For the longevity of next gen I do hope they go with a monster.

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
Hard to believe considering how they nailed the launch price for PS4.

$499 is too much for a console launch.

I can see it because the PS4 will continue to act like the cheap entry point into Playstation gaming even when the PS5 is here. I think MS is going with the multiconsole approach at launch because the Xbox One is something they want to move on from entirely.

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can see it because the PS4 will continue to act like the cheap entry point into Playstation gaming even when the PS5 is here. I think MS is going with the multiconsole approach at launch because the Xbox One is something they want to move on from entirely.

Which is irrelevant unless it plays PS5 games.

The price could hurt the PS5's chances at success quite a bit.

Sarobi

Oct 25, 2017
I could see Sony wanting to have the price advantage again, but who knows. I guess it isn't all that hard to imagine a $499 announcement and the promise of an over the top sequel to GoW and Spider-Man.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
The leaker did mention that Anthem would be a technical mess...
and, most people said it did. infinite loading times, sub 20 FPS, major downgrades compared to reveal, what more of a technical mess do you want? the only reason we brought back the discussion is because of how many technical issues the demo suffers from.

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
Which is irrelevant unless it plays PS5 games.

The price could hurt the PS5's chances at success quite a bit.

I have a feeling cross platform releases are going to be hold up a lot better on PS4/Pro/X than they did on PS3/360. Third parties are not going to abandon last gen when the PS5 and Scarlet consoles are out and I believe Sony knows that with having it as a huge consideration in their plans.

tzare

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Catalunya
The X is performing well, y'all. It can be done.

It will also sell out at launch regardless.
How well? Compared to what? The pro? XBS? We don't have numbers.
Seems selling decently, but i doubt is selling enough to warrant that a 499 box is has a successful launch for a new generation console, and that they won't need to do the price 6 months after release once the hardcore have bought it.
I could see Sony making a 449 console, but even that seems a bit to much to sell well after the initial months.

Oct 25, 2017
How well? Compared to what? The pro? XBS? We don't have numbers.
Seems selling decently, but i doubt is selling enough to warrant that a 499 box is has a successful launch for a new generation console, and that they won't need to do the price 6 months after release once the hardcore have bought it.
I could see Sony making a 449 console, but even that seems a bit to much to sell well after the initial months.
We've been told from folk like Zhuge, Matt, and Benji that X has performed/is performing well relative to total Xbox sales. Even Pro has increased its percentage in total PS4 sales since launch (so both are above the 1 in 5 stat we got a while back with X quite a bit above that).

Games are what will sell the systems. If the games coming to the system look good enough, that extra $100 is not going to change anything at launch/first year. I mean, even the X1 sold through just fine in its strongest territory despite huge problems and a Kinect bundled that inflated price. A PS5 with none of those problems will be more than fine worldwide.

In its first full year(2018) the X and S only sold 6M WW. Even if it did 50% of that, it's not good.
I'm only referring to the percentage of sales X made up. A 50% rate for X would be terrific.

Deleted member 36493

User requested account closure
Dec 19, 2017
I'd still buy it at $499. But I don't care a lot about 4K/60fps. I'm one of the few that are still content with 1080p/30fps. So if it were for that reason, I would prefer $399.

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think being $499 means we're guaranteed 4K/60fps. It is more dependent on what devs want for their games no matter how strong the PS5 ends up being. Most will prioritize visuals and resolution. I think 60fps won't be as rare compared to this gen though.

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
PS5 for $500 is ok for at least the first year year and half no?

I mean it's just the hardcore in the beginning anyway and it ain't like PS4 falls off a cliff. Potential best of gen games are still set to release for it.

Might be wishful thinking on my part, but I the best available console next year.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Maybe someone here could clarify for me. Would PS Now servers be capable of also doubling as dedicated servers for multiplayer games, whether they're 1st or 3rd party? Of course there'd be additional costs involved to make it happen, but is it technically feasible? And would it be more desirable to use this service for dedicated servers than the traditional way of using dedicated servers?

Oct 25, 2017
PS5 for $500 is ok for at least the first year year and half no?

I mean it's just the hardcore in the beginning anyway and it ain't like PS4 falls off a cliff. Potential best of gen games are still set to release for it.

Might be wishful thinking on my part, but I the best available console next year.
Right, that is exactly how I see it. Next gen hype will be too big and folk will be ready to move on by fall 2020.

YaBish

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
In the large scheme of things, an extra $100 is a good trade off for hardware that won't look incredibly dated in 7 years.

tzare

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Catalunya
We've been told from folk like Zhuge, Matt, and Benji that X has performed/is performing well relative to total Xbox sales. Even Pro has increased its percentage in total PS4 sales since launch (so both are above the 1 in 5 stat we got a while back with X quite a bit above that).

Games are what will sell the systems. If the games coming to the system look good enough, that extra $100 is not going to change anything at launch/first year. I mean, even the X1 sold through just fine in its strongest territory despite huge problems and a Kinect bundled that inflated price. A PS5 with none of those problems will be more than fine worldwide.

I'm only referring to the percentage of sales X made up. A 50% rate for X would be terrific.
For starters, the X seems to basically sell to US/UK audience, PlayStation usually caters a much wider variety of territories, with also much variety of price sensibility, not all the countries have the same economical power as the US or UK. I am sure Sony knows how well is the pro doing in the different markets compared to slim, so they will have a clearer picture of the price sensibility for each market.
The problem comes after the launch window months, though. XBO had a 100$ price cut just 7 months after release. And after beating by a big margin Sony in the previous generation, you can see where they are now in their main market.
Price is King. Unless Sony has a clear roadmap to drop price fast (without looking like they're desperate) i doubt they will go 500.
Even now with XBX being discounted during BF, sales haven't been exactly amazing.
As i said, i can see them going 450, releasing early 2020, and dropping to 400 just in time for holiday season once the hardcore have done their work at launch and try to appeal to a wider audience.

SlayerSaint

Jan 6, 2019
I used to care about price cause I didn't have the money to get it early on if it was too expensive, I'll be good for PS5 launch though so I don't care if it's $500.

RevengeTaken

Banned
Aug 12, 2018
I still don't understand how people are willing to pay 1000$ for a cellphone and 499$ for a 5-6 years cycle console is too much :0

DeathyG

Oct 27, 2017
NW Indiana
$499 wouldn't surprise me or anger me. I'm pretty much PlayStation-only nowadays, so that's money saved there.

So fuck it, give me a beefy PS5.

Status
Not open for further replies.