• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Nov 12, 2017
The difference is we are potentially getting full Playstation 1/2/3/4 BC from the start of next gen, not years down the line when it's far too late. Being able to carry over your PS4 library is huge, why would you not want to invest in the PS5 knowing that.
Because as it is for the competition already TODAY isn't all about bc ....surely is a nice add on ...and Sony also if late is better to catch up on that.. with the ps5 ....
But I'll take initially the console that will play most games better (very likely the most powerful then) and down the line the other for their exclusives

Nov 12, 2017
PS4 BC is essentially taking their PS4 install base with them to PS5. The competition doesn't have an install base as big, so, yeah
You coming from the future? Let's see how pan out the ps5 like. and the launch of the competitor ....let's see if it will have bc or just PS4 bc.
Nintendo is on their own league and won't compete with Sony or ms
And Ms is preparing the base for launching a new store ..gamepass on PC and xcloud ....if is all about the reaching there's an immense advantage there.....let's see how this pan out ;)

huggers

Dec 11, 2017
You remember when it turned out the original Wii would have a virtual console that would allow us to play NES and SNES games etc. To me that was an absolute game changer at the time. If they could make PS5 backwards compatible across all PS generations using the actual physical media it would unbelievably brilliant

Malcolm9

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Because as it is for the competition already TODAY isn't all about bc ....surely is a nice add on ...and Sony also if late is better to catch up on that.. with the ps5 ....
But I'll take initially the console that will play most games better (very likely the most powerful then) and down the line the other for their exclusives

That's fine, but the majority will choose the PS5 knowing it will be powerful, alongside it's variety of exclusives that are inevitable as Sony always proves. If you add that with bringing over your PS4 library I can't see MS beating that, regardless of whether they bring out a more powerful box.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
BC will be very important going forward with subscription-based services becoming more important. Because the value will be partly in the size of the library.

SMD

Oct 28, 2017
That's fine, but the majority will choose the PS5 knowing it will be powerful, alongside it's variety of exclusives that are inevitable as Sony always proves. If you add that with bringing over your PS4 library I can't see MS beating that, regardless of whether they bring out a more powerful box.

This is all speculation and doesn't really have anything to do with the thread?

Nov 12, 2017
Of course it does, I'm saying if it does happen it would be huge and massive incentive for PS4 owners to upgrade to the PS5. Are you saying it won't be?
We don't know nothing about the launch ..the ps5 ..the bc itself and other competitor plans ....what if competitors show A-M-A-Z-I-N-G games at E3 and will come out swinging with the most powerful console? I'm sure that paople will be so excited to play PS2 games
Again you just speculating ....bc is a nice add it really is but along other more important factors

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
We don't know nothing about the launch ..the ps5 ..the bc itself and other competitor plans ....what if competitors show A-M-A-Z-I-N-G games at E3 and will come out swinging with the most powerful console? I'm sure that paople will be so excited to play PS2 games
Again you just speculating ....bc is a nice add it really is but along other more important factors

People will grab both because PS5 will also have "AMAZING" games. But few people would throw their digital library away, it would be different with discs because you can just sell it

SpotAnime

Dec 11, 2017
I keep saying I resist buying cross-platform games on PS4 because their stance on BC in the current generation didn't lend much confidence to the future. But if this is true, AND if they don't try to resell me games but just let me use my current disc collection, holy shit PS5 day one.

Jan 20, 2019
You peopel dont have know how the market works...

The casual consumer does not buy/have the time to play 2 consoles with 100 games a year, the casual buys the AAA titles because it doesn't have the time to play the indies, that is the reason that COD, FIFA and the Sports games in geral sell so well.

So no, peopel want grab both, special in Europe.

kc44135

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
All I will say is don't get your hopes up yet guys. There was a patent exactly like this before. Turns out it was just their PSP emulator on PS4. How are we so sure this isn't the case this time?

Camstun187

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
China
He's quite a prodigy.
Thank you and everyone else who filled me in.

Bitchin

Nov 12, 2017
So are you ignoring the current sales difference, they are facts and not made up. This gen laid the foundation for console digital libraries so anyone with a huge PS4 library will more than likely move to the PS5 if they only own one console.
Not saying that we talking about bc capability that will blow away competition coz of this ...

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
I have 130 physical PS3 games that I'd love to play with a new controller on a new console. Much of the PS3 library has aged beautifully since it's in HD.

My PS3 is 10 years old and my controllers creak to all hell.

The massive file sizes make emulation not ideal and some games really need those patches. From a game preservation stand point, I hope they're able to do something for PS3 games.

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
Some people just don't care about Xbox, which is completely ok.
For most people, being able to bring their existing libraries over with them over to next-gen trumps whatever the competition can show.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
In multiple thread ..multiple times lots of users was downplaying BC ..now it will blow competition away ...meanwhile competition already having it ....okay
The PS1 and PS2 libraries are ridiculously strong though, which is what excites me (well, PS1 I've had access to for ages with PSP and Vita - it's PS2 that really gets me going).

Nov 12, 2017
Some people just don't care about Xbox, which is completely ok.
For most people, being able to bring their existing libraries over with them over to next-gen trumps whatever the competition can show.
The initial assertion is for me just meh ...if Sony,Ninty or ms release amazing games I have to care about them as a gamer .or I'll be just a fanboy .....and things can change
I was pointing out that no one will be blown away by bc a gen late. Just that
Now let's go back on topic and I hope that they found a.way to have ps3bc

Ostinatto

Oct 30, 2017
This means i will be able to play Silent Hill 2 and Silent Hill 3 with some improvements on the PS5 ?

Holy shit if true

bear force one

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Orlando
Imagine downplaying the console leader continuing their ecosystem and basically locking users in to not only play their current library but any past gens.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
I expect PS4 discs / digital games to work on PS5 with bc but I think PSNow will still be the way to access PS1, 2 and 3 games.

Sony make money off PSNow and it has a download option now, so they have no reason to scrap it, just improve it further.

If PS1, 2 & 3 games work from the disc, that would be a bonus.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
I expect PS4 discs / digital games to work on PS5 with bc but I think PSNow will still be the way to access PS1, 2 and 3 games.

Sony make money off PSNow and it has a download option now, so they have no reason to scrap it, just improve it further.

If PS1, 2 & 3 games work from the disc, that would be a bonus.
What's that got to do with PS5 though? The point of streaming is that it can be accessed on any supported device, since the game isn't running on the local device.

PS Now is already supported on PS4 and PC.

GravaGravity

Oct 27, 2017
If this turns out to be a "disk and run" for all previous playstation titles that'll make the PS5 a must have.
I don't even care about upscaling or anything I'd just love to be able to have my entire library out and useable.

kc44135

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
The initial assertion is for me just meh ...if Sony,Ninty or ms release amazing games I have to care about them as a gamer .or I'll be just a fanboy .....and things can change
I was pointing out that no one will be blown away by bc a gen late. Just that
Now let's go back on topic and I hope that they found a.way to have ps3bc
Honestly, I would be totally blown away by this. This would make me buy a PS5 day one. I don't believe it's going to happen, but it would be totally mindblowing, especially considering Sony's legacy.

tzare

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Catalunya
Why do they need a patent for their own hardware emulation?
Do other consoles, current (XBX) and previous (PS3, Wii, Vita..) also use/need patents to provide support for previous generation hw?
Or it is because they use some really 'different' way to emulate that could give them some competitive advantage?

mhayze

Nov 18, 2017
Why do they need a patent for their own hardware emulation?
Do other consoles, current (XBX) and previous (PS3, Wii, Vita..) also use/need patents to provide support for previous generation hw?
Or it is because they use some really 'different' way to emulate that could give them some competitive advantage?
I was thinking the same thing - nothing in that blurb sounds patentable - all of it sounds like existing tech. Probably something in the details of the emulation / translation.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
Thinking about this, it seems geared more towards BC using a similar architecture, where it's not having to emulate totally different hardware. Like a PC game running on a newer PC, but in this case the game is hardcoded to use a specific clock speed and RAM layout and so on. That tells me that, assuming it's used at all, it'll be used to let PS4 games play on PS5 (based on the idea that PS5 is just a PS4 Pro Pro, with a similar architecture but much better specs), but that's as far as it will go. No PS1/2/3. Those could still be done under emulation if Sony chose to do so, but I wouldn't hold my breath for that.

KiNolin

Oct 28, 2017
give it to meeee nooooow. an all playstation would enable the greatest library ever.

truly101

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I feel like the PS5 playing PS4 games pretty much has to happen, and the PS1 has the reputation of being fairly easy to emulate (when they actually try. I'll be interested to see how they approach the PS2 library, but I don't think they'll bother with PS3. Most of the big games have been remastered anyway, so you may have a case by case where you see something like Mass Effect or Fallout 3/NV remastered for PS5 release, but I don't know how far they'll delve into it.

Iichter

Oct 29, 2017
I'm 100% sure that PS5 will get PS4 back compat, they have to secure their current number of users. However I highly doubt that they will be able to do something about PS3 emulation, and even then, would it be 100% emulated games like PS2 read PS1 games or like what Microsoft is doing by basically republishing every game they can (with the IP holder's blessings).