Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
it's not like they are making money out of it. it's just for fun, probably by people who love Mario, simple as that.
Whether or not someone is making money using an IP they don't own is way over-emphasized on the internet when it really doesn't matter that much in copyright law. If it's not your IP, you either can't use it at all or it's fair use which you can monetize.

JuanLatino

Cerny’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
they're not, but arguably sony is

i know, but the motivation of a creator has nothing to do with Sony. Im not even arguing why they took it off

They will have known Nintendo is fiercely protective of their IP so why do it in the first place. Every time someone has made a fan project with Nintendo IP involved, people know what will happen as it inevitably ends up in the media. Just because it's for fun doesn't mean Nintendo shouldn't protect their IP, they would be a shitty business if they didn't.

probably. but i wasn't really talking about Nintendo

Aostia82

Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo makes it hard to love them sometimes. As long as people aren't profiting off of this and not using the characters to do inappropriate things I don't see the problem.

So are you saying that MM and Sony aren't profiting from Dreams sales and ps plus subs?
Or are you denying that part of the dreams appeal isn't in these kind of creations?

Oct 27, 2017
I expected this. Nintendo is a pain when it comes to shit like this andd it sucks.

If it was me making these games, I would have just changed mario into Grandad and been done with it.

Htown

Oct 25, 2017
So, let me understand something here. If someone creates an original character with the same move-set and animation as Mario from SM64, but places them in original worlds, is it legal?

Can Nintendo come after that creation?
You generally can't copyright game mechanics. That game would be fine.

I think technically if you literally copied the animations frame by frame, you might run into issues, but if you changed it up at all it'd be fine.

Deleted member 5028

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Unbelievable comments here from people who would pitch a fit if Nintendo added in Kratos to Smash without asking Sony first.

TimeFire

Avenger
Nov 26, 2017
Brazil
Eh, I can't really fault Nintendo too much on this one.

I'm a pretty big fan of fangames so I usually disagree with them on this issues but you got something like Dunkey's videos with a combined 6 million views advertising Mario fangames on a paid Sony platform. It's pretty clear cut

Dever

Dec 25, 2019
That sucks, but I do wish people spent their time and efforts making original stuff in Dreams. Like contact some artist in the Dreams community, have them sketch a Mario-like character for you, and then make that instead or something I dunno

Deleted member 5028

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Seesaw15

Oct 27, 2017
Sonic the Hedgehog would never do something like this.

The Sonic movie just made a bunch of money. If the Sonic brand started making a ton of money/getting a bunch of prestige again I can see Sega getting precious with their IP. At this point I'm sure they are just happy with the press ( meme or sincere).

yumms

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So Nintendo does not want their property appearing in a commercial game, on a competitor's platform....without Nintendo's permission.

Alright, so what is the issue here?

Orioto

Oct 26, 2017
Paris
The Sonic movie just made a bunch of money. If the Sonic brand started making a ton of money/getting a bunch of prestige again I can see Sega getting precious with their IP. At this point I'm sure they are just happy with the press ( meme or sincere).

They started being real precious with their ip last year actually

VGEsoterica

Dec 10, 2019
Lol we're people thinking Nintendo wouldn't notice? Not surprising at all. Can't really blame Nintendo for that one

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Shocker, this was inevitable since Dreams are hosted on Sony's servers. One of the best parts of Dreams eventually coming to PC will be third party hosting of content making it possible for things that fit into legal grey areas like this to thrive away from corporate control

Deleted member 5028

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ever seem a take so bad you need to step out for a while?
Pray tell the difference between Sony wilfully selling a product that uses Nintendo IP without the owners permission versus someone else including one of their IP in a competitors product without permission.

it's the defensive shit like this that it's Nintendo being the villain that gets me when Sony Are profiting off the toolset people are using to make those "dreams"

if y'all can't make a fuckin dream thatplays well and is enjoyable without infringing on an IP then I dunno.

whatever

LunaSerena

Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo's stance on the topic has been well known for years.

If, despite knowing that the chances of getting stuff pulled due to copyright law, people still used the IP then tough luck.

H-I-M

Banned
Apr 26, 2018
Nintendo being Nintendo.
Did they also delete all the Mario custom characters in Soul Calibur?

Moebius

Oct 28, 2017
While I do prefer seeing original creations, it was cool seeing what people can recreate in the game. This is lame and Sony should work with Nintendo to allow these creations to continue. It's not hurting anyone.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Unbelievable comments here from people who would pitch a fit if Nintendo added in Kratos to Smash without asking Sony first.
An actually comparable situation would be a Smash stage a user made or a God of War Mario Maker level. If Sony had made this Mario dream Nintendo wouldn't request it to be taken down, they'd sue.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Even it the games featuring Nintendo IP are being made by fans within Dreams, people need to realize that these creations will inspire people to buy Dreams to play them, which means Sony is profiting off of the Nintendo IP.

It really isn't that complicated to me.

Deleted member 3294

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Even it the games featuring Nintendo IP are being made by fans within Dreams, people need to realize that these creations will inspire people to buy Dreams to play them, which means Sony is profiting off of the Nintendo IP.

This I can still get. What mostly annoys me is people in this thread using this as an opportunity to talk shit about fan artists in general though.

Anarion07

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Pray tell the difference between Sony wilfully selling a product that uses Nintendo IP without the owners permission versus someone else including one of their IP in a competitors product without permission.

it's the defensive shit like this that it's Nintendo being the villain that gets me when Sony Are profiting off the toolset people are using to make those "dreams"

if y'all can't make a fuckin dream thatplays well and is enjoyable without infringing on an IP then I dunno.

whatever
Wow you're really serious.
Of course Nintendo has the right to shut this down since Sony/MM profit from their IP.

But there is a MASSIVE (legal) difference between those two scenarios you were talking about. It's user generated content. Read up on the legal background of that if you haven't heard about that concept so far.

Deleted member 38706

Banned
Jan 19, 2018
I've been reading comments everywhere about how Nintendo is the most anti-consumer company in the gaming industry. Lol. Man, people just forget about things like Sony's rootkit scandal and shit. I get being against Nintendo's decision on this, but Nintendo is not the worst by far.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Realistically I'd hazard a guess that the ratio of Nintendo creations to Other IP done in dreams is incredibly high. I've seen pages and pages when I romped around it in early access and I wouldn't doubt its grown exponentially following the official release.

Not really, Sonic is much more popular there for some reason. Disney stuff too.

Kieli

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Nintendo makes it hard to love them sometimes. As long as people aren't profiting off of this and not using the characters to do inappropriate things I don't see the problem.

If a company doesn't defend its copyright, it could lose it (or at the very least, erode its ability to convince courts of infringement).

At least, that's what I read on the internet. And we know the internet never lies.

Jbone115

Oct 25, 2017

It really is straightforward, sometimes I just don't understand people here. I wouldn't be surprised if Disney does something similar soon.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Oh man, well this thread delivered. Thanks for the good laugh, I needed that today.
I mean, I'm not surprised people are defending Nintendo here, that's to be expected after all this time and the weird takes and mental gymnastics I've seen through the years, but at least try to argue with a point that makes sense and not something completely different from what's being discussed here. Also, if Kratos were to show up in Smash that'd be fucking amazing, it would make up for his appearance in that stupid Smash clone from some years ago.