Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
Good for Nintendo for protecting their IP from less-than-ideal and frankly, often poor remakes of their best-selling properties.

More Dreams creators should focus on making original content instead of just making yet another Mario simulator.

Deleted member 12352

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rolling my eyes but this is par for the course for Nintendo.

They still hassling Youtubers these days as well?

Zac Dynamite

Oct 27, 2017
I think looking at this as Nintendo going after Sony is wrong.
At the end of the day Sony and Nintendo are both multi-billion dollar corporations with portfolios of hundreds of IP.

Sony is not going to go to court with Nintendo so they can argue over the legal right for members of the public to use recognizable IP as fair-use for their individual creative expression.

No big company cares about the progress of artistic expression. Sony and Ninty are watching each other's backs on this one.
The users of Dreams should be artistically expressing their own ideas. I would even be ok with MM eventually banning repeat offenders that use licensed IPs without permission.

Oct 25, 2017
The users of Dreams should be artistically expressing their own ideas. I would even be ok with MM eventually banning repeat offenders that use licensed IPs without permission.
One of the mm devs went on twitter to express they would never stop a dreamers creative freedom in reply to remakes and other ip. They will simply take it down if asked

LumberPanda

Feb 3, 2019
This isn't really any different from me downloading UE4, making a sidescroller God of War fangame, and putting it on Steam as a free-to-play game. You bet your ass and a half that's not going to fly with Sony.

Opa-Opa

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 16, 2018
This isn't really any different from me downloading UE4, making a sidescroller God of War fangame, and putting it on Steam as a free-to-play game. You bet your ass and a half that's not going to fly with Sony.

I think that's a good point. While Nintendo is overprotective of their IP in a lot of cases, Dreams is not your usual fan art/fan game.

trugs26

Jan 6, 2018
This was expected and I'm glad they did it. I wouldn't be surprised if you can get fairly good and faithful remakes of their older games using Dreams.

thecaseace

May 1, 2018
Yeah I fail to see what some are complaining about here. The name and likeness of Mario alone is worth Billions of dollars.

If that was somehow ruined by a scandal on a platform they didn't own or control it would be catastrophic.

It's typical Nintendo to get the lawyers out but the reasoning is completely valid.

Riversands

Banned
Nov 21, 2017
Technically nintendo is not in the wrong, so is sony. But only because neither of them are to be blamed, doesnt mean i have to support their practise. So yeah, i wont buy Dreams and i will encourage my friends to do the same

thecaseace

May 1, 2018
Technically nintendo is not in the wrong, so is sony. But only because neither of them are to be blamed, doesnt mean i have to support their practise. So yeah, i wont buy Dreams and i will encourage my friends to do the same

Nintendo are doing what they are entitled to do legally to protect their IP.

Sony are doing what they should do legally to protect themselves from IP claims by Nintendo.

Media molecule are doing what their paymasters (Sony) order them to in order to maintain good standing.

Why would you essentially punish MM? This response doesn't make sense.

Flipmenex

Oct 27, 2017
This is to be expected. Whenever there is user created stuff in a game it's always "quick, let's enjoy this thing while it lasts before they take it down".

Companies want to protect their property and Nintendo is especially vicious about this. It sucks, but they're technically in the right to do so, can't really fault them much for that.

I'll be more curious to see if Nintendo will do the same and go after the stuff people are putting in Animal Crossing.

Riversands

Banned
Nov 21, 2017
Nintendo are doing what they are entitled to do legally to protect their IP.

Sony are doing what they should do legally to protect themselves from IP claims by Nintendo.

Media molecule are doing what their paymasters (Sony) order them to in order to maintain good standing.

Why would you essentially punish MM? This response doesn't make sense.

Of course. They are not in the wrong here. My question is how long they will do it? The game's selling point is recreation. If every recreation can be taken down, then whats the point of this game?

yurr

Alt-Account
Banned
Nov 20, 2019
literally making video game content with Nintendo IP in a video game being sold on a system they haven't made and haven't licensed to do so. this isn't some fan art grey area.

edit: people keep responding that the creators are not profiting from it ...you guys forget this is a video game being sold by sony who is profiting from popular IPs being used in this creation tool if they want to or not. there's no talking around this. it's a super clean-cut scenario.
You better work for Nintendo.....

Oct 25, 2017
Of course. They are not in the wrong here. My question is how long they will do it? The game's selling point is recreation. If every recreation can be taken down, then whats the point of this game?
The game selling point is create play share. That doesn't mean it's only for recreations?
And besides that just because Nintendo super strict on their ip don't mean everyone will. There's plenty of Sonics, Bethesda, nick, Cartoon Network list goes on ip in dreams that have been there for the last two years in fact

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
What a weird way of putting things into perspective. For one thing not all of the creations will be taken down, in fact hardly a few other than those purposely infringing on copyright properties. Second of all they are doing what they've been asked to do, so why would you tell your friends not to buy it?

A better way to put it is to not support Nintendo because it is they who don't like creative freedom unless they can cash in on it.

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
The true main selling point of Dreams not just only 'recreation' but also original contents made by the creators & Dreams tools.

You could make original music.

Original game.

Original short film.
m.youtube.com

JAW-DROPPING Short Film! | Dreams PS4

Dreams PS4 - A Jaw-Dropping Horror Short Film that I can't wait to experience again in PSVR when its supported.THE INFERNAL HUNThttps://indreams.me/dream/mkN...

Sculpt, sketch, etc.
m.youtube.com

Dreams PS4 | Demon's Penance Prototype Stage UPDATE #2

We are working on art style of the characters and their emotional states for the dialogues.Your positive feedback gives us energy to pursue our dreams! Thank...

Those 'recreations' created in Dreams because they can.

Last edited:

Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA
What a backfire for Nintendo. They look bad, promote Dreams (this thread is incredible), lose free advertising, all in 1 silly move. Let's say someone makes a perfect Mario 64 remake in Dreams, and Nintendo is planning on selling a real Mario 64 remake in 6 months. What Nintendo fan or game fan in general is really going to say 'oh I just played it in Dreams so I don't need to play the Nintendo remake'? Absolute rubbish. Same rediculous thing actually happened to AM2R. Yes Nintendo your IP is your most valuable asset. Let talented fans make it more valuable. Who cares if it's on Sony's platform you got everything else in smash.

thecaseace

May 1, 2018
What a backfire for Nintendo. They look bad, promote Dreams (this thread is incredible), lose free advertising, all in 1 silly move. Let's say someone makes a perfect Mario 64 remake in Dreams, and Nintendo is planning on selling a real Mario 64 remake in 6 months. What Nintendo fan or game fan in general is really going to say 'oh I just played it in Dreams so I don't need to play the Nintendo remake'? Absolute rubbish. Same rediculous thing actually happened to AM2R. Yes Nintendo your IP is your most valuable asset. Let talented fans make it more valuable. Who cares if it's on Sony's platform you got everything else in smash.

Let's be real, if you were Nintendo would you seriously consider leaving your most prized multi-billion dollar asset in the hands of amateur creators on a competing platforms create-a-game product?

This sounds likely to fail more than it works and its extremely risky.

If somebody made a dreams creation with Mario secretly alongside controversial political symbols Nintendo would be the ones that lose out.

Their reaction is completely understandable.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Let's be real, if you were Nintendo would you seriously consider leaving your most prized multi-billion dollar asset in the hands of amateur creators on a competing platforms create-a-game product?

This sounds likely to fail more than it works and its extremely risky.

If somebody made a dreams creation with Mario secretly alongside controversial political symbols Nintendo would be the ones that lose out.

Their reaction is completely understandable.

It's far easier to do what you said in like a hojillion different ways and much easier to spread on computers and phones. Like, what is your scenario, lil' timmy wanders into Dreams level "Mario salutes Hitler" and his mom never buys a Nintendo product after? If Timmy wants his Mario Hitler content, the internet probably already has him covered.

There are hundreds of companies with their "assets" on Dreams, including companies like Disney. They are out litigating DISNEY.

Merc_

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
lol backfire? Nobody is even going to care about this in a week or two. I also don't think Nintendo is hurting for advertisement of their products.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Backfire for Nintendo ? lol
Some of you are really overstating how important it is for the general public that users of Sony first party title can use Nintendos IPs for their creation. Especially right now - most people don't care and every older than 21 understand why this is happening.

Good for Nintendo to make clear early that they arent happy with it instead of letting these players develops clones for months and years and then shut them down after they finish.

thecaseace

May 1, 2018
It's far easier to do what you said in like a hojillion different ways and much easier to spread on computers and phones. Like, what is your scenario, lil' timmy wanders into Dreams level "Mario salutes Hitler" and his mom never buys a Nintendo product after? If Timmy wants his Mario Hitler content, the internet probably already has him covered.

There are hundreds of companies with their "assets" on Dreams, including companies like Disney. They are out litigating DISNEY.

Yeah maybe but that's their most prized IP asset.

The worst case scenario could involve a lot of news attention or viral posts that damage sales down the line.

If the next Mario game sold a modest 500k less thats still a $24m loss.

I get it, fans can frequently make positive stuff as they have in Super Mario Maker 2 and elsewhere.

But when it's on a platform that Nintendo has zero control over AND the direct revenue benefit is to one their competitors, it makes zero sense to not pursue removing the content.

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
I think waypoint did a deep dive into this whole copyright thing a year or two ago. I strongly suggest listening to that episode before jumping on the "Nintendo is wrong" bandwagon.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Don't know why people would have thought it'd be just Mario.

Yep as I said this is going to become a problem for Dreams now that the floodgates have opened so to speak. Sony are obviously not going to contest anything going by this so those 'oh they're just considering their options whilst they prepare to counter this obvious wrong claim' were just wrong as was clear from the outset.

FireCloud

Dec 26, 2017
Aren't parodies protected under copyright law? Wouldn't using that IP be permitted if the intent of the work was to parody the original work?

So, instead of having fan-art of people expressing their love of Nintendo characters, you'd be left with numerous works that make fun of them. Doesn't matter, I guess. Nintendo is allowed to protect their IP but even still there are limits to the sort of content they can restrict.

Edit: As the platform holder, Sony is allowed to control the content within Dreams. If they are going to remove all references to Mario from Dreams, it doesn't matter if the work was used legitimately or not.

udivision

Oct 25, 2017
A big reason you shouldn't work on fan games that is often brought up is that if you're going to put in that work, you might as well make something original. However Dreams doesn't yet have monetization methods for the games so a fan game or original idea might be equal parts a "time waste" as people are still learning the software.