EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
has nintendo gone after wario yet? the memes need to die and the meme culture thats thumbing the creations up need to stop

theres a wario level with some jank audio that has 7K thumbs up in Dreams. 7,000+.

wossname

Dec 12, 2017
nobody is deliberately buying dreams because they can play mario related mini-games in it...c'mon man.....

the opportunity cost for nintendo is basically $0.

Buying Dreams specifically to play Mario-related mini games? No, probably not. But once content created using Nintendo IP is uploaded to the Dreams servers it effectively becomes part of the game, accessible to everyone, and adds value to the whole Dreams package. Why should Nintendo let Sony, a direct competitor, add value to their console-exclusive game by hosting copyrighted Nintendo IP? That is not an opportunity cost of 0 for Nintendo.

Merc_

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
It's funny to watch people talk about defending creativity while defending the idea of being allowed to use someone else's IP.

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017
Nintendo has valid concerns, some of these Dreams projects will be the best usage of certain IPs fans have seen in years.

Mr_F_Snowman

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think Sony or MM had even advertised any of this stuff once again I personally have seen 0 evidence of anyone saying they purchased this game for this. I understand from a business perspective why Nintendo would do it, but as a gamer it's super fucking lame.

I mean obviously Sony / MM won't promote that stuff but the Nintendo / "whatever" recreated in dreams are the things getting the most exposure on youtube (and even places like here) so of course it is promoting the game and leading to interest / purchases whether or not Sony / MM acknowledge it

julian

Oct 27, 2017
It's not simply fan art if Sony is profiting off of it. That's also why Sony is sending out the letters. The content creators aren't in legal jeopardy, Sony is.

xabbott

Oct 28, 2017
Florida
I created a character in 3D Dot Game Heroes that looked like Link, I supposed Nintendo will be sending me a C&D soon as well

Well as a show of good faith while their legal department looks into their options and decides if they will go to court over it, they would remove the content. Again, nobody sued Minecraft because people made content featuring other IPs
What Minecraft stuff are you seeing? You can't sell a Mario skin in Minecraft for instance. The stuff people make in Minecraft doesn't really work like Dreams or anything. I guess someone could make some Mario pixel art in a world? But even finding that wouldn't be easy like Dreams.

Now what you really can compare it to is Roblox and I'm guessing the only reason people ignore all the Roblox stuff is media doesn't cover it. That game is almost all about the IP rips.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
If Nintendo's going after non-profit fangames on PC, anything made on a paid platform that they don't own obviously wasn't going to fly. Sucks but if with this original dreams get more attention, I'm fine with it

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo must be scared about it having an impact on the success of their most popular IPs.

Which makes no sense because it won't.

Which makes this senseless.

Oct 28, 2017
Took them long enough, they should have changed colors and call them something else to skirt around copyright laws.
I mean people basically have nothing better to do in this trying times and that includes Nintendo lol

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean really...did no one see this coming. A took that lets you make anything, including other companies ip's was gonna see some sort of moderation

Defuser

Oct 25, 2017
Can see this a mile away. Why do people still create Nintendo fan projects despite knowing Nintendo is so anal about their IPs since forever?

Dragoon

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Nintendo is so fucking lame. If certain games would be put down, most people would have voted that Nintendo would be going after them first. Unsurprisingly so, here's where we are.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Nintendo must be scared about it having an impact on the success of their most popular IPs.

Which makes no sense because it won't.

Which makes this senseless.

Guess that's copyright law for ya. Hated that semester I spent studying it in uni lol. Trademark is even worse. The fact that King tried to trademark Saga and how it impacted The Banner Saga is still infuriating to this day.

Madao

Avalanche's One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Panama
Nintendo really needs some new top management. they're still stuck in the last century in a lot of ways.

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
Disappointing but expected, especially after LBP (I remember my favorite LBP 2 creation being taken off).

Absolutely need a PC version where we can make offline backups. I dislike platforms where so much effort is poured in, only to evaporate because there is no hope for preservation.

Sep 25, 2018
If you do not understand why then I don't know what to tell you

if I own nintendo I would of stop it long time ago and vice versa if nintendo made dreams and I work for Sony I would not want any first party game being recreated

those companies work hard to keep up the appeal of their creations

Chamon

Feb 26, 2019
There have been a lot of shitty creations representing wario dying and Yoshi doing stupid things. I bet that that's the real reason Nintendo is upset, because they are damaging their image.

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
It's funny to watch people talk about defending creativity while defending the idea of being allowed to use someone else's IP.

Why should anyone (besides Nintendo, obviously) care about this when these aren't being sold? Using an existing IP creatively is still creativity.

As a gamer there is no reason to applaud this action, period.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
While I don't think people will see this and decide "Oh, I don't need a Switch, I can play Mario on PS4" Dreams does allow people to use Nintendo IP in video games in a way Nintendo have no say over, and then clips of said games can be shared on Twitter and if you're not in the know, you might think they are official Nintendo games

I normally don't side with Nintendo in these cases, as normally Nintendo are the ones being assholes, but in this case, I can see where they are coming from and can see why they'd rather not have their IP on other platforms

Those making Nintendo games in Dreams can't have been so naive that this will have blindsided them. They must have been aware there was a good chance their projects would be shut down

Navid

Oct 26, 2017
This could potentially be better in the long run... might mean creators that are making original stuff might now get more of the spotlight on their content.

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
I don't see the issue. And no, it's not fanart.

People bringing up Black Mesa don't seem to get that the devs got permission from the copyright holder. The big difference with Dreams, and what matters there.

bangai-o

Oct 27, 2017
You wanna be a game maker, be a good artist or hire an artist to design characters for you. Don't steal.