Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone else not feeling excited at the prospect of these SSD techs being an important selling point for next gen? I mean, this generation I've rarely been annoyed by excessive loading times or sluggish behavior during installs, patches etc. Am I missing something here?

I bet it will eventually make a change in game design. I don't think we will see that effect at first.

But even ignoring that, I'm excited at the prospect of turning on my ps5 and playing within a minute or so. And so many things that are built into games to mask load screens will be gone too. My time is pretty limited so I will value these improvements.

Sep 28, 2019
Is Cost factor even importend if its their tech?
I mean the will fore shure not write themselfs a bill right ?
Also even in case it would cost alot - they could still put it in "for free" and use the PS5 as a technologie demonstrator.
To spread the word so to speak..

p3n

Oct 28, 2017
If this turns out to be true, how will this affect porting to PC and other systems

Same way it does right now: You'll get frequent data streaming stutters and/or long loading screens.

For years I never knew Diablo 3 on PC had load times when entering portals while in a game. Until I played it on a shitty laptop without an SSD. Suddenly loading screens.

Gwarm

Nov 13, 2017
Even a standard SSD would be such an improvement. I would be surprised if they launched with this new tech. Very pleasantly surprised.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
who was he, for those of us out of the loop?

He was a guy who went online and found endless whitepapers and documents about all manner of insanely detailed technical things and used it to to weave together a fantasy version of what the Ps4 and Xbox One were going to be. He thoroughly believed it
Lots of it was this type of stuff

KKRT

Oct 27, 2017
Same way it does right now: You'll get frequent data streaming stutters and/or long loading screens.
It doesnt affect high end PCs, as on PC you can already those speeds or faster.
DDR4 has as fast read speeds as those, has faster write speeds and 20 times lower latency.
32GB DDR4 in current high end PCs is quite common this days and PS5 wont have more than 32GB of this ReRAM.
The only thing that can differ is application startup time, as you need to load first to DDR, but it will be already in ReRAM from previous playthrough.

Deleted member 10726

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
ResetERA
Why did he get permabanned?

Conspiracy rhetoric.

But yeah, in regards to the topic I also believe it won't get used in the PS5, at least in the one we're getting next year.

Might be one hell of an addition for a PS5 Pro but based on what this sounds like, it might need a bit of extra work to be really taken advantage of, so who knows if we really see this next gen?

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
Would be pretty interesting if they can include some in PS5. Probably not practical to include 128GB — what games would that benefit even next gen? Wouldn't necessarily help visuals as you'd still need to load GDDR. But a smaller amount would help in-game load times just as much.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
What this tells me is that we won't be getting an sad only system we're gonna get a hard drive with ssd caching, while that's better I'm very disappointed. Just give me a 1tb Samsung evo and be done with it then let me upgrade myself internally or through a special interface crap externally

Deleted member 52407

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 23, 2019
My main questions are:

A) How big will the drives be?
B) Will it be possible to replace them with bigger drives?
C) Will some sort of external solution even be possible?

Even if they're able to cut game sizes significantly, 500 GB or even 1 TB won't be enough for the whole generation.

I'm assuming the SSD is the only drive in the machine.

a) 128GB - ReRam is 4x-5x the cost of traditional flash, at least a few years ago.
b) Maybe - This is a DRAM intermediate which means there needs to be an accessible port similar to PCIe on PC, which will increase the cost of the entire box
c) Yes, but it will be really expensive because such a standard would require ports and memory controllers akin to Thunderbolt Ports on PC

ReRam still isn't faster than RAM so it's no DRAM replacement. The cost is too high so it's not an SSD replacement either. This tech isn't ready for a console in 2020, in my opinion.

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
Forget Rigby I'm waiting on Onq123

- I don't even know if he made it to Era-

bf03c07336c9feb6cf2a1ba0c21166f8ed7cafd100dd41c4c2e43b340874aee2.jpg

p3n

Oct 28, 2017
It doesnt affect high end PCs, as on PC you can already those speeds or faster.
DDR4 has as fast read speeds as those, has faster write speeds and 20 times lower latency.
32GB DDR4 in current high end PCs is quite common this days and PS5 wont have more than 32GB of this ReRAM.
The only thing that can differ is application startup time, as you need to load first to DDR, but it will be already in ReRAM from previous playthrough.

No I mean if you currently play on a PC equipped with a slow HDD and you hammer that HDD while playing a game you will see the impact of slow storage. Which, in current games, manifests as stutters or hangs during gameplay in engines that rely on data streaming.

Of course on a current midrange PC (32GB RAM, NVME storage) you will never experience this. Future games that are build with super fast storage in mind will hopefully offer a fallback to load more data into RAM because 64GB or even more will probably be standard by 2021. Thus negate the need for fast storage cache on PCs. But that was not the point of my reply.

Jonnax

Oct 26, 2017
This is a big maybe. The PS5 will likely try and use as much off the shelf stuff as possible.

If this is a Sony solution then they need production capability. Like with the PS3, the blu ray Lazer shortage meant that they could not deliver as many PS3s as there was demand. Those slides describe either an 8 or 16 chip configuration as well.

Assuming it has this ReRAM, you also need:
standard RAM most likely GDDR6
game storage 1tb SSD?

That's really driving up the bill of materials.

It really seems unlikely to me for the PS5. Probably this will be a data centre product.
If you want to think crazy Jeff Rigby levels then you could argue that:

Sony are going to compete with Intel Optane, and one way they'll get the price down is by integrating it into the PS5, this will allow them to make purchase orders at a chip fabricator of millions rather than thousands.

And PlayStation will be able to get the parts cheap because they can buy it "at cost" off of the Sony electronics department.

Ahahahahaha

Edit:
14W at 128gb? Conforming to EU standby regulations is gonna be hard.

ec.europa.eu

Standby, networked standby and Off mode

Off mode, standby and networked standby mode. Energy efficiency of products.

"Modern appliances are increasingly connected to the internet during standby mode, consuming higher amounts of energy. This includes networked televisions and decoders, printers, game consoles and modems.

Specific requirements for network-connected standby devices were introduced in 2013.
Since January 2017 networked standby devices must not consume more than 3 to 12 Watts depending on the product."

KKRT

Oct 27, 2017
No I mean if you currently play on a PC equipped with a slow HDD and you hammer that HDD while playing a game you will see the impact of slow storage. Which, in current games, manifests as stutters or hangs during gameplay in engines that rely on data streaming.

Of course on a current midrange PC (32GB RAM, NVME storage) you will never experience this. Future games that are build with super fast storage in mind will hopefully offer a fallback to load more data into RAM because 64GB or even more will probably be standard by 2021. Thus negate the need for fast storage cache on PCs. But that was not the point of my reply.
I mean sure, they will need to upgrade to any SSD and maybe extend their RAM and they will be fine. Developers wont care about old tech in PC space, as generally forced upgrades are quite accepted in PC world :)

Oct 27, 2017
So do I understand this right? The PS5 would have a small number of ReRam storage to help move data between SSD and RAM, like 128GB or maybe 32-64GB, then still have a 1TB SSD where game installs reside until called for?

please correct me if I am wrong

this tech sounds great and would explain the rumors of PS5 kits being "faster" at moving data/or booting up than Scarlett

Diablos

has a title.
Oct 25, 2017
So basically PS5 is likely to have an extremely fast, primary SSD of low capacity for the OS and swapfile etc. and then a regular secondary SSD for storing games?

I just hope the SSD for games isn't too advanced so it's easy to add an affordable external SSD if you want.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
That would be nuts to have the entire game in something almost as fast as RAM. That would indeed decimate loads. But I don't see it

It's not almost as fast as ram. It is physically impossible for something sitting on the PCIE bus to be called comparable to a device in the ram slot.

The volume of data being read is remotely comparable to the volume of data read on single channel but very few people or businesses throttle their data like that. Regular people are using dual channel configs while businesses are running quad channel configs.

As for the volume of data being written it isn't even comparable in any sense.

Oct 25, 2017
As usual with these things, I am always scared about the lowest common denominator.

If the PS5 is truly as fast as this says, if Scarlett is slower or devs are still making games that have to work on fucking PC's with HDD's, then maybe all this power will go to waste outside first party?

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
As usual with these things, I am always scared about the lowest common denominator.

If the PS5 is truly as fast as this says, if Scarlett is slower or devs are still making games that have to work on fucking PC's with HDD's, then maybe all this power will go to waste outside first party?
Rumours floating around suggest Scarlett is slower but we don't know by how much. The Sony solution sounds really good in theory but outside of a purpose built Spiderman demo, we don't know how well it will be overall. SSD alone would be a massive jump, so we will have to wait and see what this Sony push does.

It will still be up to 1st party studios to get the best out of the tech, since they have probably had it longer.

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017

There's a chance, sure, buy you can't keep the bar low just because of what the competition is (or may be) doing. Mechanical hard drives have been a huge bottleneck for years now. It's time to let it go.

komaruR

Oct 28, 2017
http://www.twitch.tv/komarur
even if sony can put it in ps5, wont the dev gate be set by like scarlet or pc if their ssd speed is slower? which means only 1st party game will shine?
nvm me, seems like alot of folks been pointing that out on above posts

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
even if sony can put it in ps5, wont the dev gate be set by like scarlet or pc if their ssd speed is slower? which means only 1st party game will shine?
It's kinda that way with Sony now. I don't expect anything drastic to change but at least all devs will have the added SSD speed to boost loading, even at a basic level.

Razgriz417

Oct 25, 2017
really hope SSD just becomes the norm all around, with devs dropping support of HDD if it does become a bottleneck in design like star citizen seems to have done

Begaria

Oct 27, 2017
*checks website URL*

Huh, yeah. I am on Resetera. I thought I accidentally landed myself on misterxmedia's website. Needs more red arrows and underlines on the photoslide to really make it believable.

Bumrush

Oct 25, 2017
I love ResetEra because I have literally no clue what this means but many of YOU do...so thanks.

gebler

Oct 27, 2017
I'm very curious about what their SSD solution for PS5 will look like, but I don't think it's this. Too risky and expensive. Maybe it will be ready for the generation after. That said, even for the PS5, Sony could certainly innovate beyond what's available for PC. But I believe it will be more in terms of architecture and interfaces than how bits are stored on a fundamental/physical level. A custom SSD controller seems likely, perhaps using on-board NAND in some novel configuration.

nekomix

Oct 30, 2017
If I understand it right, it is a better SSHD ? Why not, if they can bring the prices down and games are really designed around it, I'm all for it

GameAddict411

Oct 26, 2017
I think it's definitely clears up a few things. So this fast SSD technology will be used for cache purposes and not as the mass storage. And then a secondary storage will actually store all the games. My only question is that if this is the case, how much of an impact on the life of the this fast memory? I know that regular SSDs have limited lifetimes. Using them as cache is a bad idea since every write reduces it's ability to store stuff over long term.

DocSeuss

Oct 25, 2017
No console-warring intended. I'll buy both consoles day 1 (as i have this gen).

My question comes from the idea to use this technology at all. This news doesn't confrim that sony 'll use ReRam in the ps5, that's just a possibility. But if sony knew that this technology will be ready in 2020 they could've planned for its use. MS could surely use a competing solution or even the same but if they didn't even plan for its use in scarlet then it would mean that the ps5 may got an advantage that isn't fixable at this time for ms.

With the ram for the PS4 sony doubled it to 8gb because of MS (after they've heard about it). But this technology isn't something that can be tacked on.

We'll see in a few months.

Microsoft has indicated a desire to be the fastest and never lose that technological lead again. Considering the fact that Sony publicly discussed this technology with engadget like a year ago, even if we assumed that Microsoft were a bunch of clueless dummies, they've known what Sony was doing for a while.

Aswitch

"This guy are sick"
Nov 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
This is pretty crazy if true. If this is the case it would actually start to compete with PC again with even more convenience than a PC technically considering these specs.

DukeBlueBall

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
The price is too high for the value it adds. I can understand how faster CPU, GPU, RAm and more Ram translates. I don't think reram will make a big difference gameplay wise beyond what SSD already adds. I mean it's nice to have a game load in under a sec rather than 4 seconds but that's not $100 nice. I did rather have the BOM go into the PS5s APU.

nizerifin

Jun 9, 2018
Has anyone completed a prospective/hypothetical budget for the PS5 based on predicted internal components? Obviously Sony doesn't pay Newegg prices, but it would be interesting to see where we're at, cost-wise.

Mr_Antimatter

Oct 28, 2017
I'm reminded of how an sshd works, where it caches most used files I. The solid state while retaining the rest on the slower hdd.

A small reram pool with most used/current game files would work, as rarely do you need the entire game in that pool at once.

OP
OP
DieH@rd

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
pcie5 is announced for 2020, and pcie6 for 2021, but we'll see if mobo manufacturers will adopt them so soon.