speedomodel

Oct 27, 2017
Basically, with it all staying multi-plat, this just seems like it helps Sony two ways:
1. Ensures that Microsoft doesn't snap up all the top AAA multiplayer FPS
2. Bungie devs can assist with Sony-exclusive MP games

Bungie won the deal but Sony at least gets something out of it.
Yup, I think this is right on it. They don't lose Destiny but also have someone to help with future MP shooters.

Dimple

Jan 10, 2018
Phil Spencer:

Screen_Shot_2020-10-05_at_11.51.58_AM.png

Oct 27, 2017
Bungie said for years and years that the one thing they like and want most is independence. Wtf.

How does this even work? Sony owns them, but they're… still independent-ish? Hmmm
Defensive buy to some degree- also despite everyone on here saying that all ActiBlizz content will go exclusive to Xbox, this purchase kind of confirms to me that the big two here are expanding how they support gaming by taking in money from publishing deals on multiplatforms through wholly owned subsidiaries.

Some games will wind up exclusive, but unlike Bethesda which made sense to take all the IP from, ActiBlizz and this to an extent make more sense as revenue generators that remain multi platform.

That said the price is interesting. It kind of what tips it as a financial block to MS eyeballing them.

Pancho

Avenger
Nov 7, 2017
sucks that this seems to be going the norm moving forward in the gaming industry, but it was bound to happen sooner or later I guess.

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
The studios being acquired have all the leverage right now. That leads to huge (and rising) prices, but also if they really want to continue developing their games for other platforms they can probably negotiate that. $3.6 is a "bad" price compared to recent acquisitions but probably plenty reasonable in today's market. Times have changed in relatively short order.

kaisere

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sony now gets the lion's share of all microtransaction revenue generated by Destiny and any future Bungie games, as well as having access to Bungie to support their existing and upcoming live service games from their other developers. That seems to basically be it.

It's a really confusing thing to spend 3.6 billion on. I don't get it at all.

It makes more sense when you realize that they can say whatever they want for PR but in practicality it will probably be just like every other acquisition and they go PS exclusive "by choice"

BarcaTheGreat

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Kinda figured this would happen. Sony needs a top-tier FPS developer — and really, who better? Destiny's gunplay is still so damn good.

"Destiny 2 will stay on all current platforms and expand to new platforms"

👀

If this means what I think this means, my D2 addiction is about to enter a whole new phase...
Wait what does it mean?

SixelAlexiS

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
It seems a bit pricey considering the double amount was how much Bethesda was worth.
It's still interesting even if I never liked Bungie games.

Zenkuso

Jan 28, 2019
This feels very much like someone walked into a room and said "how much would you sell bungie for" and someone throw out a joke figure and sony said deal without questioning it.

Bungie is good but not that good, that price is pretty funny.

balohna

Nov 1, 2017
Can't say the consolidation of every major gaming entity into a handful of super entities is my favourite thing ever, but this is a savvy move from Sony. They don't have the cash of MS but this is a smart response to the moves the Xbox team has been making.

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
This industry is just getting ridiculous, lol. You never know what you're going to wake up to, you just know someone will be buying someone.

Oct 27, 2017
Imo this is the future we're heading toward. Xbox will make games on PS5 but still sell Xbox hardware, same for Sony, etc. Nintendo is probably the hold out.

Disney wants you to sub to D+ but they don't care if you buy their content at a store or off Amazon video, they just want users. That's where games are heading

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
I love Bungie. Their gameplay is top shelf, but they are unproven in delivering a story since their rounds with Halo.

This seems like a heavy price tag for their limited IP depth and that they won't be exclusive. Honestly, expected Sony to grab someone with more IP and make them exclusive.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
I guess if you know CoD id in jeopardy of coming to your platform in the near future...this is...one way to go.

OneTrueJack

Aug 30, 2020
Microsoft buys Crash and Sony responds by acquiring Microsoft's lost, prodigal child.

This is a strange time for the industry.

BeeDog

Oct 26, 2017
You know what, props to Sony here, even though I'm sure that this was the only way Bungie was going to get purchased. When MS bought Bethesda and MS was all nebulous about whether the games would still come to Playstation or not, and then finally months later stating that they won't, I thouht that this was just the new way it was going to be done. Buy these big multiplatform studios and ruin things for the other platform players.

Not only is Sony letting Bungie continue making their games multiplatform, but they're stating it unequivocally from the moment it gets announced.

Yep, agreed. And I'm already laughing at most hot takes and "bad deal" comments. I think Sony's army of lawyers and number-crunchers have a better shot at deciding what's a worthwhile get compared to a generic Era poster.

Haven't played Destiny since the very beginning of the first game so this doesn't affect me in any way (even less than the Acti-Bliz deal since I have barely touched any of their games in years), but will be interesting to see if they switch it up now or not.

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
"they paid too much"

you heathens. Bungie is one of the industry old timers and best companies. One of the best in regards of policies, of crunch et al. They made the 3 best halos and Destiny. Sure, Destiny 2 is a shadow of it's former self but it ranks 1M players daily with huge engagement numbers and $ plugged into mtx.
As someone who has replayed those Halo games dozens of times each and probably has close to 300 hours in Destiny... I think this is effectively like Xbox buying Rareware. So many of the people that made those games are long gone and Destiny is right next to something like Overwatch in terms of an IP that the fans have seriously turned on, even if its still very successful.

That said I am also a pretty big fan of a lot of what Rare has done under Xbox myself so as Bungie continues to change I think they will ultimately create their own new identity again, I am not worried of them falling apart or anything. If nothing else this fills the massive multiplayer shooter market that PlayStation entirely lacks when it comes to active IP.

Either way I am confident more than anything this has something to do with Spartacus. It directly beats Microsoft at their own game with potentially creating a cross platform subscription service.

KingK

Oct 27, 2017
Whoa. Weird that they're staying multiplatform. Wonder if MS was looking to buy them and this was purely defensive to make sure Playstation didn't lose another huge shooter franchise?

Either way, still not a fan of this massive consolidation...like, a talented studio that's struggling financially and/or could use the security is one thing (Obsidian and Housemarque come to mind). But these massive purchases of self-sustaining entities rubs me the wrong way.

I guess the industry will inevitably fall into a small handful of massive players like Music and Movies/TV eventually though.

Next up:
Microsoft buys Sony's mom.
Sony buys Microsoft's dad.

NINTENDO BUYS EVERYBODY's UNCLE

LMAO
Literally made me laugh out loud. Lol 😆

Athrum

Oct 18, 2019
This is silly....
At least they're staying multiplat. But consolidation isn't good. And this is a war that Sony cannot win.

leburn98

Nov 1, 2017
My impression is that on the face of it this isn't as big of a move as Bethesda or Activision and doesn't have the same kind of implications. At the moment Bungie only really makes Destiny, which will probably continue to remain multiplat given the agreement.

But, there probably is some greater reasoning or advantage to it that I'm not immediately seeing. A new bungie IP exclusive to PS5? Keeping all future Bungie games off Game Pass? Bungie helping with other Sony IPs?
Sony doesn't lose another big FPS title to Microsoft. If giving freedom to the studio is what it takes to guarantee their games will remain on PlayStation, it's worth it to Sony.

PixieLayer

Dec 12, 2021
I'm happy they're staying Multiplatform. Didn't expect that from Sony, lol

The rumors of a Square Enix-Sony acquisition don't look so crazy after all...

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
That honestly feels like a massively inflated price for what they're getting. Bungie are undoubtedly talented and Destiny is a major IP, but are they really worth approx. half of Bethesda's entire publishing arm?

the two acquisitions don't happen in separate vacuums. People are paying a lot more for homes right now than they did 2 years ago. Why do you think that is? Do you think I can go to a realtor and say "I'm only paying what the home was worth 2 years ago and not a penny more!" and expect to come away with a new home?