Kawngi

Prophet of Truth
Oct 30, 2017

TxjfPd2.png

Falcon511

Oct 27, 2017
I think this is a nice purchase for Sony. I have tried to get into Destiny over the years and am on and off the franchise. But really glad to see Sony get in on the GAAS developers like Bungie. Bungies next project must be pretty damn big. I am hoping it takes them back to their roots and they make a good competitive FPS that can be an esport. It be great to see Sony get in on that as well.

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
I can't back it up but it was on my bingo card. Bungie helped kick started the live service craze industry wide. It was them launching Destiny that forced so many pubs to either try and make a "Destiny killer" or change their approach these types of games. War frame, Fortnite, Apex, the division, anthemšŸ˜‚, outriders, pubg, war zone.
If you going to invest into Live Services and you need a dev you start with the root of all evil, Bungie.

Warframe predates Destiny.

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Warframe was a completely different beast at the time. I think it set the live "free to play model" but Destiny ended up becoming a template for the "Paid Base Game, Paid Expansions, Seasons, MTX" shenanigans which we see so much of recently.

Sure, I get that. I was just saying that Warframe is not a Destiny clone -- it came first. Did DE take some design inspiration from Destiny after the fact? Very likely, but Warframe mostly does its own thing.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017

Karateka

Oct 28, 2017
I don't understand the point of the purchase if the games are multiplatform? Do they just mean on pc?

Oct 25, 2017
Norman, OK
I don't understand the point of the purchase if the games are multiplatform? Do they just mean on pc?

A live service game with continual microtransactions, paid seasons and expansions will bring in considerably more revenue for Sony on multiple platforms than it will on one. That's without getting into all of the benefits of having as large of a community as possible and allowing people to interact and play together via cross-play, etc.

And yes- Bungie has been very clear that they intend to continue publishing on Xbox systems.

sjackso3

Oct 30, 2017
Houston
The more I hear about this deal, the more it sounds like Bungie essentially got Sony to finance their debt in exchange for an assignment of future revenue. Bungie has aspirations they can't afford and Destiny 2 doesn't bring in enough to do the things they need/want to do. I say that because Sony doesn't seem to have much, if any control over the IP. It's an interesting arrangement. It's more like a partnership with specific; contractual reservations concerning the IP; not really full ownership in the traditional sense. While extremely talented, working with Bungie has always seemed like a headache to me. Like a prima donna superstar wide receiver or tempermental actor.

LilScooby77

Dec 11, 2019
I think this is a nice purchase for Sony. I have tried to get into Destiny over the years and am on and off the franchise. But really glad to see Sony get in on the GAAS developers like Bungie. Bungies next project must be pretty damn big. I am hoping it takes them back to their roots and they make a good competitive FPS that can be an esport. It be great to see Sony get in on that as well.
It's rumored to be a competitive shooter with no mmo rpg stuff. That grind is what sets a lot of people off Destiny and their next game will be much better in retaining its players without them.

Golding

Oct 25, 2017
still multiplatform games? how is this a win for Sony besides just marketing rights? idk about this one.. especially if the games will be available on all platforms...i guess more revenue for Sony and that is always a good thing.
Definetely weird seeing Bungie as a Sony studio now though. Bring on the games.

Chai86

Jun 2, 2021
Y'all need to think deeper into it.

Clearly, after Bungie moves in with Sony, all their 900 staff is going to move into Housemarques and work on a new exclusive MMO FPS game for Sony.

All the while, Housemarques 50 employees will move into Bungie and maintain and develop that Destiny roadmap.

No lies detected.