Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Consider another perspective: this is more than 10x what Sony paid for Insomniac in 2019. Insomniac didn't come with any IP worth a damn, but are at least as talented a studio as Bungie.

Safe to say the market for video game acquisitions is on fire right now.
Bungie and Destiny are overpriced as hell with this perspective

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
"weird how bungie decided on their own that they aren't going to publish on Xbox anymore..." (I still expect to see releases on steam)

Tsuyu

Oct 25, 2017
This seems like a defensive buy to ensure Bungie games stay on PS platform rather than Microsoft eventually gobbling it up and corner the FPS market like it did for Western RPG.

Then again, Sony also wants to come up with multiplayer GAAS game so it kinda fits their strategy I guess.

Having Bungie staying multiplat is good business strategy and also low key good PR by trying to be the good guy when it comes to acquisition compare to their nearest rival.

arrado

Jan 1, 2020
The multiplatform decision, could this be some kind of 'cold war' move by Sony, hoping to get some more Xbox stuff (Activision) on Playstation?

Gunny T Highway

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Still baffled by the price tag. Like is the Destiny IP and unknown future IP's really worth that much? Microsoft bought all of Bethesda for double that which is a ton of IP's.

Oct 26, 2017
Pretty much what we'll be seeing more of in the future:
DnYzhP.gif

Cake Boss

Oct 25, 2017
3.6B for a single average IP seems like an overpayment with its last full release being 4 years old.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Such a weird agreement. Not even sure what's in it for them, other than added risk.

Yuuber

Oct 28, 2017
"Q. Bungie has future games in development, will they now become PlayStation exclusives?
No. We want the worlds we are creating to extend to anywhere people play games. We will continue to be self-published, creatively independent, and we will continue to drive one, unified Bungie community. "

What's in it for Sony then?

RPG

Oct 27, 2017
Colorado
I would expect content for Destiny to continue to be released on Xbox but anything new will be Sony (and maybe PC) exclusive. Same strategy that MS is using.
Pretty much this. Destiny 2 is established and will be the cash cow to bring in revenue on all fronts while they'll likely create a Sony exclusive FPS given their history. But, who knows, maybe they'll make a turn like Sucker Punch or Insomniac...

DJKippling

Nov 1, 2017
Guess i won't be playing future destiny games then. doubt the next game will be multiplat that's not how sony works at all. They lock stuff down to PlayStation as much as humanly possible.

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
Well...I didn't have that on my bingo card this year haha. This is a fucking wild year.

Also I do get wanting to get the talent, but given that they are still going to be semi-independent on this arrangement and able to publish stuff on other platforms what does Sony get out of this? Surely outside of Destiny they'd want exclusivity on their stuff?

Or maybe that's what they mean and I'm just being dense.

Bold One

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
This was personal,

Destiny is Phil's favourite game.

Bungie is clearly insurance should cod go exclusive.

Jimbo has ice in his veins.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret Corrupted by Vengeance
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
This is a weird deal, 3.6B for an independent multi platform subsidiary? It has to be a purely defensive move because Destiny isn't that profitable, maybe the other games they have in development have potential.

Destiny is one of the biggest FPS IPs on the market afaik.

monketron

Oct 27, 2017
Seems expensive given for just twice that MS bought Bethesda and all their IP like Doom/Quake/Wolfenstein/Elder Scrolls/Fallout etc. Maybe Sony thought buying them and keeping them as they are was better than MS buying them and making Bungie Game Pass only.

fadeawayjae

May 31, 2019
I think PlayStation is ok with Destiny to stay Multi Platform, it is the New IP that Bungie will have in the future that will be more coveated. Especially as a FPS studio.

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Bungie gets paid 3.6b and still gets to be a multi-plat developer and doesn't have to publish games with Sony. Why did Sony make this deal? lol

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
People saying this is an overpay when MS paid 20x this for basically COD and a bunch of declining franchises. Everything in the market is fucking overpriced these days, and I doubt Sony would have even entertained this idea if it wasn't for MS and Tencent basically eating up everyone willing to sell.

Dierce

Oct 27, 2017
This is a great deal for Bungie. Not so sure about Sony but I guess it might help keep the investors from going after Jim.