Saikyo

Oct 25, 2017
Advance possibly more than even the Genesis games, would become instantly twice as good in wide screen aspect ratio and slightly zoomed out.
What we got instead...
Sonicn_title.png

Stath

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Mar 4, 2022
Taking the same path every time probably contributed heavily to it, but even when I did find the special stages I don't remember being able to get close to doing it

I was like 13 and playing on an OG gameboy with a lit magnifying glass on the bus, not exactly the best set up for doing the special stages lol

Ah gotcha, that clears things up a lot. I can see why those Advance 1 special stages would be hell under those conditions, lol.

The special stages in the Advance games are fine, it's getting to them that's asinine.

Rush going back to the tired ass halfpipe still irks me to this day.

The touch screen controls made them feel so good to play, though! Rush might have my favorite version of the half-pipe style special stages.

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
Ah gotcha, that clears things up a lot. I can see why those Advance 1 special stages would be hell under those conditions, lol.

The touch screen controls made them feel so good to play, though! Rush might have my favorite version of the half-pipe style special stages.
The touch controls are good, I was just sick of it up to that point, lol. For my money, Saturn 3D Blast has the best half-pipe special stage.

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
in-origins-plus-knuckles-can-access-a-new-route-in-sonic-cd-v0-9sx7ekxixlpa1.png

They're giving Knuckles new paths in Sonic CD!! This is straight up the first hard new content the game has had since it's original release besides allowing Tails to be playable, and the first new level content period.

Kind of fucking amazing.For the first time in 30 years, CD has new areas to explore. Holy shit. And the way they added in Knuckles paths in Sonic 1 were brilliant and didn't compromise the original game at all.

If Amy gets some new paths too this could be poised to be a legendary update for all the games. I'm not expecting her to, but we'll see.

Last edited:

Solid SOAP

One Winged Slayer
Nov 27, 2017
your mom's house
in-origins-plus-knuckles-can-access-a-new-route-in-sonic-cd-v0-9sx7ekxixlpa1.png

They're giving Knuckles new paths in Sonic CD!! This is straight up the first hard new content the game has had since it's original release besides allowing Tails to be playable.

Kind of fucking amazing.For the first time in 30 years, CD has new areas to explore. Holy shit. And the way they added in Knuckles paths in Sonic 1 were brilliant and didn't compromise the original game at all.

If Amy gets some new paths too this could be poised to be a legendary for all the games. I'm not expecting her to, but we'll see.
Great shit. Meanwhile people still ready to lambast these ports for some reason.

Aaron

Dreamcast Political Party
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
Great shit. Meanwhile people still ready to lambast these ports for some reason.
With both Origins and Colors Ultimate, there weren't really that many major, game-breaking bugs, but the Sonic fan community was able to point out every single one since most of us have played these games a billion times over since release, plus they had older versions to easily compare them to. It always felt like the larger gaming media/community picked up on the fandom-driven complaints and ran with them like "BROKEN PIECES OF SHIT, SEGA'S DONE IT AGAIN" when even at their worst they were very serviceable ports. Thinking of the Game Grumps playthrough of Sonic Colors Ultimate where Arin started out by saying he only wanted to play it, and only the Switch version because of how "broken" he heard it was, and became actively frustrated when the game wasn't giving them any of that easy comedic gold. The idea that Sega somehow fucked up even the good Sonic games was too convenient for the narrative, so it stuck.

Solid SOAP

One Winged Slayer
Nov 27, 2017
your mom's house
With both Origins and Colors Ultimate, there weren't really that many major, game-breaking bugs, but the Sonic fan community was able to point out every single one since most of us have played these games a billion times over since release, plus they had older versions to easily compare them to. It always felt like the larger gaming media/community picked up on the fandom-driven complaints and ran with them like "BROKEN PIECES OF SHIT, SEGA'S DONE IT AGAIN" when even at their worst they were very serviceable ports. Thinking of the Game Grumps playthrough of Sonic Colors Ultimate where Arin started out by saying he only wanted to play it, and only the Switch version because of how "broken" he heard it was, and became actively frustrated when the game wasn't giving them any of that easy comedic gold. The idea that Sega somehow fucked up even the good Sonic games was too convenient for the narrative, so it stuck.
Colors Ultimate definitely came out the gate with worse issues, but really both collections are fine right now.

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Yup lots of truth here. And people picked up on that narrative and ran with it. Not to mention they heavily addressed the stuff the community brought up with a huge patch, and have confirmed they'll be further squashing anything left in Plus.

There's a vocal group of people that like to act like Origins is just as "broken" *cough* as it was on release when that's far from the truth. Pretty dumb.

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
Hell yes at Knuckles not only being added to CD, but also having unique paths. Always made it more fun when characters had unique stages, i.e. Knuckles' Mirage Saloon Act 1 & some of the S3&K stuff.

Deleted member 34949

Banned
Nov 30, 2017

They're giving Knuckles new paths in Sonic CD!! This is straight up the first hard new content the game has had since it's original release besides allowing Tails to be playable, and the first new level content period.

If Amy gets some new paths too this could be poised to be a legendary update for all the games. I'm not expecting her to, but we'll see.
Great news. The extra paths added for the new characters in the Retro Engine versions of 1 & 2 are secretly some of the best additions in those games.

So neat to be seeing these games getting new official content all these years later.

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
Anytime I see this I think of anything new animated Sonic and how it SHOULD JUST LOOK LIKE THIS! But no, we're in a post Adventure world so everyone has to be taller and "cool" looking. Oh well, at least I can rewatch the Sonic OVA and get my fix of classic Sonic designs with nice animation
Aye. Their designs and personalities are just so much better. And I prefer the world vision of the Classics. Modern is okay but I wish Classic got as much love.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017

This is great. As long as the original version is easily accessible, I love seeing these little official "rom hacks" for classic games.

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
I imagine part of the challenge with fitting Amy into the classic games without just making her a reskin of Sonic or whatever is doing so while adhering to the philosophy of the original Genesis games, that you only had one action button to worry about and any extra character attributes were tied to that. The problem with just importing her Sonic Advance move set is that Dimps significantly overcomplicated her control scheme to make her stand out. I don't necessarily dislike this, but it would be at odds with the flow of the Genesis titles, which were meant to be simple enough for anyone to pick up and enjoy.

The whole idea of Amy in Advance being "hard mode" also strikes me as pretty lame if they tried to replicate that here, because part of why I'm excited about Amy being properly playable is just the idea of letting kids, especially girls, play as a female character and feel that representation. Imagine being a kid excited about playing as Amy, only for the game to punish you with a significantly harder character. Suddenly the novelty is a lot less fun.
Amy's move set itself isn't more complicated than the other characters in Advance:
z1yQUsi.png

She actually uses less buttons for her moves and you could easily modify most of of her moves to remove the B button:
Hammer flip: A during a jump.
Leap: A while crouching.
Sliding Attack: DOWN while running.
Hammer Spin: Down + A

The only move that would be difficult would be the Hammer attack. That's her least complicated move but since it's a ground attack how do you do it if the 1 button is the jump button and Up and Down + A already do things?

Personally I would do this:
Hammer Attack: Down + A (This also launches her into the air higher than a normal jump).
Hammer Flip: A during jump.
Super Peel Out: Up + A (Just like Sonic in CD)
Hammer Spin: Down + A after jumping
(Maybe) Hammer swing: Down while running (Amy doesn't roll into a ball unless put in a gimmick that requires it, but pressing down while running puts her in a state similar to rolling where she swings her hammer while running like she does in the Origins footage after landing from her Hammer Flip. Or you could make this an automatic state she goes into when doing a Super Peel Out)

Then you have something that isn't really "hard mode" but also more interesting. Of course allowing an extra button might make it less complicated. A big part of what makes Amy cumbersome in Advance is that her hammer attacks kill her momentum. If you make B hammer and it has no effect on her momentum she'd be killer. Just run around tapping B constantly swinging the hammer like Alucard with speed shoes.

Aaron

Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
I am really excited for this release - Knuckles in CD, playable Amy and the GG titles are all up my alley.

The only gripe I have is they're so close to releasing a truly complete (or complete enough, I should say - not including the really obscure stuff like Sonic Eraser) pre-Adventure Sonic collection. My ideal would be throwing in Knuckles Chaotix, Sonic the Fighters, Sonic R, Sonic 3D Blast, SegaSonic Arcade, Sonic Spinball, and Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine. Throw in a toggle option that lets you play the Saturn version of 3D Blast, and the Master System versions of the Game Gear games that have them, and that's about as thorough as I could ever ask for from a retro Sonic collection.

Hell, if the Master System versions aren't there from the get-go, that's just ridiculous. There are better versions of those games just sitting there! We'll see I guess, but I'm not too hopeful.

Solid SOAP

One Winged Slayer
Nov 27, 2017
your mom's house
This is great. As long as the original version is easily accessible, I love seeing these little official "rom hacks" for classic games.
One of the big flaws of this game is the lack of true classic versions of each game. Proper emulated ports for the classic version would be great. Hell, just the ability to toggle widescreen/lives/coins would be nice.

Kapryov

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Hell, if the Master System versions aren't there from the get-go, that's just ridiculous. There are better versions of those games just sitting there! We'll see I guess, but I'm not too hopeful.
Technically speaking, the Game Gear versions are the "better" versions. The GG was later hardware with stereo sound and a lot more colours (64 vs 4096), and it also had more Sonic games than the MS (I think the MS only has half of them). I believe the GG versions of the same Sonic games even have more details and animation in places.
I know this doesn't really make up for the lower resolution and terrible field of view, which makes the games a lot more difficult and look worse on large screens, but I can see why they'd only focus only on the one console.

Of course, ideally Sega should've included access to both versions where possible, just for completeness.

bangai-o

Oct 27, 2017
C'mon y'all. There's plenty of room for a future collection. You don't need everything in this one.

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Isn't that what Classic Mode does?

Classic mode's kinda pointless. It's essentially just anniversary mode but with lives, no drop dash, and no widescreen. It's not really truly the classic roms, i.e. stuff like Sonic still has the Spindash in Sonic 1. It's still Retro Engine.

Solid SOAP

One Winged Slayer
Nov 27, 2017
your mom's house
Isn't that what Classic Mode does?
Classic mode retains the original aspect ratio and lives counter, but I'd like to be able to use lives in Anniversary mode. I think separating them by modes is a bit silly, they shouldve been a toggle in an options menu or something. Once you play the game for like an hour you basically no longer need coins anyway.

McNum

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Denmark
I'm suddenly interested due to playable Amy. She really should have been in Mania. And yes, I want to see what Super Amny can do. Will she be golden like the other hedgehogs or just glow like the lesser non-hedgehog animals?

DanGo

Oct 25, 2017
I think I might have to get this for the nostalgia trip. I was never particularly good at Sonic games, but I played the Genesis and Game Gear ones a lot as a kid. Could be a lot of fun to revisit every once in a while.

ajoshi

Sep 11, 2021
yea they really need to port those Advance games.

dead horse: for non-PC, would still pay for an enthusiast's take on the replacement Sonic 3 tracks, they are still jarringly bad productions for someone with cred like Jun Senoue.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
C'mon y'all. There's plenty of room for a future collection. You don't need everything in this one.
I'd just like a definitive collection of the pre-Saturn era games. There have been so many collections over the years, but none that cover everything. This is the closest they've come, as they have all the main entries, but then they don't actually have the original games.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Careful, you'll have people complain about 3 stages (ok, 6 acts) worth of music again ;)
On a more serious note, there are/were some legit issues with the ports but they are mainly fixed now, and if more QOL fixes come alongside the + version, then music aside, they should be in a great place.

Ryuman

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I'm suddenly interested due to playable Amy. She really should have been in Mania. And yes, I want to see what Super Amny can do. Will she be golden like the other hedgehogs or just glow like the lesser non-hedgehog animals?

All joking and fun aside, I doubt she'll be golden. Only the Hedgeboys have ever undergone an actual physical transformation. Knuckles was just a collective misinterpretation and at best Tails gets golden Flickies. It makes you wonder if the others are 'real' Super forms (Or even canonically achieved by them). In that sense, perhaps 'Only male hedgehogs can go Super' can be seen as more than just a creative guideline.

So Amy will almost certainly just glow, and that's gonna disappoint a lot of people, but it needs to be accepted. Poor Sega peeps probably sweating after seeing Super Amy trend.

Oooor perhaps they'll say "fuck it" and double down on Hedgehogs as a whole being a special race among all other animals, capable of becoming golden Gods (Somehow extending even to robot hedgehogs).

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
All joking and fun aside, I doubt she'll be golden. Only the Hedgeboys have ever undergone an actual physical transformation. Knuckles was just a collective misinterpretation and at best Tails gets golden Flickies. It makes you wonder if the others are 'real' Super forms (Or even canonically achieved by them). In that sense, perhaps 'Only male hedgehogs can go Super' can be seen as more than just a creative guideline.

So Amy will almost certainly just glow, and that's gonna disappoint a lot of people, but it needs to be accepted. Poor Sega peeps probably sweating after seeing Super Amy trend.

Oooor perhaps they'll say "fuck it" and double down on Hedgehogs as a whole being a special race among all other animals, capable of becoming golden Gods (Somehow extending even to robot hedgehogs).
Didn't Ian confirm that the restriction was done away with?

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
I am really excited for this release - Knuckles in CD, playable Amy and the GG titles are all up my alley.

The only gripe I have is they're so close to releasing a truly complete (or complete enough, I should say - not including the really obscure stuff like Sonic Eraser) pre-Adventure Sonic collection. My ideal would be throwing in Knuckles Chaotix, Sonic the Fighters, Sonic R, Sonic 3D Blast, SegaSonic Arcade, Sonic Spinball, and Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine. Throw in a toggle option that lets you play the Saturn version of 3D Blast, and the Master System versions of the Game Gear games that have them, and that's about as thorough as I could ever ask for from a retro Sonic collection.

And then bundle it all in a physical copy that includes Sonic Mania Plus and it'd be the ultimate classic Sonic collection

Generations and Forces are technically canon to Classic Sonic too, so of course throw those in too. And the prototype of that weird arcade puzzle game. And Flicky, of course. And the Sonic Jam overworld stage

Every single piece of Classic Sonic!

Morlas

Looking for a better cartoon show.
Oct 25, 2017
I don't remember him saying that specifically, and he probably wouldn't until it happened because people would just go wild speculating about who's gonna get a super form only to be disappointed if it doesn't happen.

Ryuman

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
He got a line about Super Knuckles into Sonic Frontiers with zero pushback (a lot of the script had no real pushback). Funnily enough that line is just vague enough to be thought of as Knux making a joke, as opposed to a referencing a thing he actually did once. Anyway- that doesn't mean the restriction is gone. And again, 'only male hedgehogs' is clearly just a creative guideline for licensed material, not a statement of objective truth. I mean, they tell him there is no money in Sonic's world as well and he still writes the Chaotix bellyaching about getting paid for their jobs. I'm just musing on what a 'Super' form really is.

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Classic mode retains the original aspect ratio and lives counter, but I'd like to be able to use lives in Anniversary mode. I think separating them by modes is a bit silly, they shouldve been a toggle in an options menu or something. Once you play the game for like an hour you basically no longer need coins anyway.

Yeah with the way classic is implemented, "classic" really should just be a toggle for anniversary mode for lives if people want them. If they wanna go the extra mile, put a toggle for dropdash, spin dash, ect. I know you can toggle at least Spindash in Sonic 1 in the cheat menus, but they should just make it surface level.

Keiriks

Omicron Persei 8 Logic
Aug 19, 2021
Reykjavík, Iceland
Can't say I'm that jazzed about this same group of Game Gear games showing up again. I would've preferred some games that haven't seen rereleases yet like Chaotix or the Advance trilogy but uhhh I guess a whole new generation getting to experience just how garbagetacular Labyrinth and Blast are is important in its own way. But like come on man these games have been bolted onto Sonic releases for almost 20 years. I pray for anything different 😭

Solid SOAP

One Winged Slayer
Nov 27, 2017
your mom's house
Can't say I'm that jazzed about this same group of Game Gear games showing up again. I would've preferred some games that haven't seen rereleases yet like Chaotix or the Advance trilogy but uhhh I guess a whole new generation getting to experience just how garbagetacular Labyrinth and Blast are is important in its own way. But like come on man these games have been bolted onto Sonic releases for almost 20 years. I pray for anything different 😭
Chaotix, 3D Blast, and Spinball should've been easy inclusions, tbh. Even though they mostly suck, it'd be nice to be able to have them preserved in an easily accessible way, especially Chaotix which hasn't seen the light of day since its release.

Lack of Advance trilogy rerelease is a bit ridiculous at this point though. The games hold up even if they're not your cup of tea, and there could be as many as 5 games if you include the Battle and Pinball spinoffs. It'd be a great value and an easy $20-40 release for SEGA. Hell they could pull the same bullshit they did with Origins, release it just with 1-3 at first, then release "Advance Collection Plus" with the spinoffs on it too for $10 more.

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
They should very easily and should make a collection for the GBA/DS games at this point, I think they deserve their own. I agree with Soap that it's ridiculous they haven't been re-released.

Imagine a collection with

SA1
SA2
SA3
Sonic Rush
Sonic Rush Adventure
Sonic Battle (GOATed).

Done. And give me Battle and SA3 with online and I'll scream in your face

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
One of the big flaws of this game is the lack of true classic versions of each game. Proper emulated ports for the classic version would be great. Hell, just the ability to toggle widescreen/lives/coins would be nice.

That's true. Would be a nice option. Is there an easy way to buy the original Genesis roms on current platforms? I kinda stopped paying attention once I got Sonic Mega Collection/Gems Collection. And... the original carts. And Genesis Mini.

Aaron

Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
Chaotix, 3D Blast, and Spinball should've been easy inclusions, tbh. Even though they mostly suck, it'd be nice to be able to have them preserved in an easily accessible way, especially Chaotix which hasn't seen the light of day since its release.

Lack of Advance trilogy rerelease is a bit ridiculous at this point though. The games hold up even if they're not your cup of tea, and there could be as many as 5 games if you include the Battle and Pinball spinoffs. It'd be a great value and an easy $20-40 release for SEGA. Hell they could pull the same bullshit they did with Origins, release it just with 1-3 at first, then release "Advance Collection Plus" with the spinoffs on it too for $10 more.
From a marketing perspective, those three games and Robotnik would've put the collection at a round 20, as well. But then again, with 16 they can tie it into the 16-bit era (despite 3/4ths of the collection being 8-bit games).

BaconHat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Sometime i wonder if it's just sega not caring about having a 32x emulator in-house or what.

Solid SOAP

One Winged Slayer
Nov 27, 2017
your mom's house
That's true. Would be a nice option. Is there an easy way to buy the original Genesis roms on current platforms? I kinda stopped paying attention once I got Sonic Mega Collection/Gems Collection. And... the original carts. And Genesis Mini.
Nah. On Steam though I believe you can get the originals, and then subsequently you can download Angel Island Revisited after buying Sonic 3 to make it the definitive version. They may have delisted S3, though.

I don't mind the inclusion of the Game Gear games, even if most aren't great. They kind of contextualize the era the classics came out in, and some games are okay to my memory. Sonic Drift 2, Tails Adventure, and at least Triple Trouble are pretty decent. I remember enjoying Sonic Chaos as a kid too.

Deleted member 34949

Banned
Nov 30, 2017
Switch has Sega Ages versions of Sonic 1 & 2. They have additions (Spin Dash in 1, Drop Dash in both games), but can be disabled entirely for the vanilla experience. Sonic 1 also comes with the Mega Play arcade ROM as well.

MikeMyers

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
They should very easily and should make a collection for the GBA/DS games at this point, I think they deserve their own. I agree with Soap that it's ridiculous they haven't been re-released.

SA1
SA2
SA3
Sonic Rush
Sonic Rush Adventure
Sonic Battle (GOATed).

Sonic Colours DS too.

Conrad Link

Oct 29, 2017
New Zealand
At bare minimum the other Mega Drive games should have been priority before any Game Gear ones were even considered. They go with the other games on the collection a bit more.

I'm not gonna complain too much about some extras just thrown in for fun but it's kinda weird the overall ethos of the game being the 4 core games being such wonderful feature rich versions of themselves.... and also here are just some GG roms now lol.

I wanna play the Saturn version of 3D Blast.

mausterhunter

Feb 1, 2019

SA1
SA2
SA3
Sonic Rush
Sonic Rush Adventure
Sonic Battle (GOATed).

Sonic Pocket Adventure would be nice too.