Keiriks

Omicron Persei 8 Logic
Aug 19, 2021
Reykjavík, Iceland
soooooo if you've already bought Origins there's basically zero point to this release unless you really want a coaster. That's good to know.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
As someone baffled by this decision:

For those who originally gonna buy but aren't now, why is the DL code a game changer? I mean, if you're paying for the physical version and use the code, you're still getting all the new content, right?

It's about actually having ownership over the game and its content, as well as future proofing it in case of shenanigans with online store fronts.

bangai-o

Oct 27, 2017
New pixel art found for Amy:

Fum_RnGakAA-Ryi

That's awesome. Do these just get glued together?
As someone baffled by this decision:

For those who originally gonna buy but aren't now, why is the DL code a game changer? I mean, if you're paying for the physical version and use the code, you're still getting all the new content, right?

Not everyone has Internet at home. At least with the Switch, we can take it to work or school to download, but console owners are screwed when it comes to downloading content.

Keiriks

Omicron Persei 8 Logic
Aug 19, 2021
Reykjavík, Iceland
What's the state of the emulation of the MD/Mega CD games now?
They're not emulated but rather rebuilt on the Retro engine. They all play well, just with a few quirks that don't match up with how they used to be, though I imagine at least some of that's been patched by now. Sonic 3's audio is still kinda weird and muffled compared to the others.

Kapryov

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
What's the state of the emulation of the MD/Mega CD games now?
The 16-bit games aren't emulated, they are ports with the new(ish) engine.
They did patch a few of the more noteworthy bugs last year, like the S2 Tails bug, but I think being easily crushed in Sonic 3 remains an issue. If they've patched anything else for Origins Plus though, we don't know yet.

logan_cadfgs

Oct 28, 2017
There were 12 Sonic games on the Game Gear??

Jesus Christ, there is! That's a lot more than I thought there was.

— Sonic 1
— Sonic 2
— Sonic Chaos
— Sonic Triple Trouble
— Sonic Blast
— Sonic Labyrinth
— Sonic Drift
— Sonic Drift 2
— Robotnik's Bean Shit
— Sonic Spinball

That's all I could name off the top of my head. Forgot these dumbass tails games:
— Tails Sky Patrol
— Tails Adventure

A lot of em have Master System versions with a lot less screen crunch, but they aren't included, and I'm going to take this as another opportunity to bitch about it:

I'm convinced that no human being could ever manage Sonic 2's Scrambled Egg Zone on Game Gear until the advent of save states. There's a lot of "pick the right tube to come out of" bullshit that you can't possibly react to because you literally can't see where any of it leads.

Last edited:

Dash Kappei

Nov 1, 2017
Ok thanks guys, I actually knew that but it completely slipped my mind. Regardless, I remember at launch, and even post-patches (iirc 1&2, but haven't kept up if they've released more), people weren't exactly happy, especially with Sonic 3.

I guess I'll wait to know if Plus has more improvements applied to the base release.

100mega

Oct 27, 2017
Oh, cool! It's like fucking impossible to buy a complete copy of a game anymore and I was of course really looking forward to owning this one.

Moon Parade

Oct 25, 2017
Well, this is bad news. I guess it makes it easier to wait for a discount.

I also wasn't aware of the Mania situation on disc either - Is there any way to identify those easily?

TheAggroCraig

This guy are sick of the One Winged Slayer
Nov 6, 2017
Well, this is bad news. I guess it makes it easier to wait for a discount.

I also wasn't aware of the Mania situation on disc either - Is there any way to identify those easily?

Very. If it says "Sonic Mania Plus" on the box/disc it's the one that includes the DLC, this was the first printing and iirc came with a slipcover/booklet. A second printing just says "Sonic Mania" and does not contain the DLC, and was a cheaper MSRP in stores as well.

Moon Parade

Oct 25, 2017
Very. If it says "Sonic Mania Plus" on the box/disc it's the one that includes the DLC, this was the first printing and iirc came with a slipcover/booklet. A second printing just says "Sonic Mania" and does not contain the DLC, and was a cheaper MSRP in stores as well.

If that's the case, I don't think I've ever seen the 'basic' version!

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
I have to say, I honestly didn't think that Sega could announce something that would motivate me to not buy the classic Sonic games for the umpteenth time.

Chrono

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I have to say, I honestly didn't think that Sega could announce something that would motivate me to not buy the classic Sonic games for the umpteenth time.
That's the thing, they're not even announcing this. The only reason we learned of it was because someone took a picture of an early release copy.

It's almost like they're concerned what effect it might have on sales. I wonder why.

liquidtmd

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Sucks and poor decision

Personally don't even care for the Game Gear Games or anything else beyond the rumoured QOL/bugfixes for the existing core product that come attached to this release

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
That's awesome. Do these just get glued together?

No, those are made using a bead art kit. You put the beads together (probably on a pinboard to hold them in place unless you're exceptionally careful) and then place a sheet of baking paper or similar on top and lightly melt the plastic by running an iron over them, causing them to stick together.

Conrad Link

Oct 29, 2017
New Zealand
Imagine knowing half the big deal over this release was that you're doing it physical this time (yay!) then still pulling crap like leaving half of it off the cart for no reason, lolwat?

The random Game Gear games being added was already pretty random (especially when they could at least put the superior Master System versions of some of them), then they go and make it even stupider.

Sega gonna Sega.

They must have a 'in case of emergency add Game Gear Sonic roms' button over at HQ.

Ryuman

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Guess I'll just cross my fingers and close my eyes in the hopes that the Japanese version isn't the same somehow. I feel like they will get eviscerated for this if they don't clarify soon.

I'm not even as crazy harsh as some people about Origins but this is silly mismanagement at this point.

Conrad Link

Oct 29, 2017
New Zealand
I mean, it could be worse? Initially reading the thread backwards I panicked for a second thinking the WHOLE thing was a 'download code in a box' release. *barf* That would have really set me off.

I actually really loved Sonic Origins and am still hyped for this and happy for finally playable Amy and (sorta) physical Switch copy for my shelf, I'm just baffled by how little sense this part of the deal makes.

- Sega -
It Could Be Worse?™

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
Jesus Christ, there is! That's a lot more than I thought there was.

— Sonic 1
— Sonic 2
— Sonic Chaos
— Sonic Triple Trouble
— Sonic Blast
— Sonic Labyrinth
— Sonic Drift
— Sonic Drift 2
— Robotnik's Bean Shit
— Sonic Spinball

That's all I could name off the top of my head. Forgot these dumbass tails games:
— Tails Sky Patrol
— Tails Adventure

A lot of em have Master System versions with a lot less screen crunch, but they aren't included, and I'm going to take this as another opportunity to bitch about it:

I'm convinced that no human being could ever manage Sonic 2's Scrambled Egg Zone on Game Gear until the advent of save states. There's a lot of "pick the right tube to come out of" bullshit that you can't possibly react to because you literally can't see where any of it leads.

Pretty much my lack of excitement for this release. The Master System versions are just the superior way to experience many of these games without the screen crunch issue and I expect many will be annoyed at actively playing most of these "bonuses".

Jan 30, 2023
I mean, it could be worse? Initially reading the thread backwards I panicked for a second thinking the WHOLE thing was a 'download code in a box' release. *barf* That would have really set me off.

I actually really loved Sonic Origins and am still hyped for this and happy for finally playable Amy and (sorta) physical Switch copy for my shelf, I'm just baffled by how little sense this part of the deal makes.

- Sega -
It Could Be Worse?™

tbh the Gamegear stuff is the only reason I care about this collection (well, this and playable Amy). I am not going to pay 40€ to buy the 20th rerelease of the classic games, especially when the only Classic Sonic I like is 3&K. But having the game gear stuff as well on the disk is kinda interesting for bookshelf reasons
...kinda sucks if it isn't there

Oct 28, 2017
I'm just confused as to why the Plus DLC is a download code in the box when Mania Plus came with its DLC on the cart/disc. You could literally own the digital version without the DLC on Switch, put in the cart and the DLC would be added, take out the cart and it would be gone again. What the fuck is the point?

TheChrisGlass

Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I'm just confused as to why the Plus DLC is a download code in the box when Mania Plus came with its DLC on the cart/disc. You could literally own the digital version without the DLC on Switch, put in the cart and the DLC would be added, take out the cart and it would be gone again. What the fuck is the point?
I feel like they made the regular non-plus version as a disc and fucked up. So this is a repackage. I dunno, but I'm REALLY curious to see the disc art when this is in stores.

Chrono

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
The disc art won't have Amy on it. You'll need to download the PDF from the official website in the "Bonus" section and print it off yourself if you want something like that.

Oops, dropped the /s.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Hey this is out next week, had we had any gameplay showcase of this at all? We've seen Amy in Sonic Superstars at this point, I imagine the gameplay link between them would be somewhat similar?

Fox ITA

Feb 21, 2019

Chrono

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Amy Rose's gameplay is so good, they couldn't contain it on the cart and had to make it a separate DLC download.

liquidtmd

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
So my original Sonic Origins just got a 2.0 patch

Any word as to what bugs have been fixed with it?

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Im human and can confirm Ive done it at least once. Honestly I dont even recall it being that annoying. Once you clear Green Hills zone and its ridiculous "guess where the spring is on act 3" moment, you kinda just shrug off the BS that comes with the squished screen.

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
"A new route was added to some Zones in Sonic CD's Anniversary Mode."

Huuuuuh. I'm curious what this means & which Zones got new routes.

Strider_Blaze

Oct 28, 2017
Lancaster, CA
Decided to simply just upgrade my digital PS and Switch versions and cancelled my physical Switch copy.

Besides the art book, don't feel like I will miss out on much going digital.

TheAggroCraig

This guy are sick of the One Winged Slayer
Nov 6, 2017
I'm planning to grab the DLC on Xbox when it goes up, but I did update the game for now. Probably just going to run through S3&K with Amy, hoping to see patch notes because S3&K needed some work.

Menome

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
Any indication on what time Plus will go on sale tomorrow? Hoping it's not another 5pm UK-time unlock to technically be available for the 23rd, but miss two-thirds of the day.

Xwing

This guy are sick of the unshakeable slayer
Nov 11, 2017
I'm planning to grab the DLC on Xbox when it goes up, but I did update the game for now. Probably just going to run through S3&K with Amy, hoping to see patch notes because S3&K needed some work.

For my playthrough this Friday, I'm torn between Sonic CD as Knuckles, Sonic 2 as Amy, or Sonic 3K as Amy. Tough choice.

Nov 19, 2019
Is it still blury in game or was that fixed in a previous patch?

Edit: nevermind found the answer (not fixed).

Last edited:

PallasKitten

Jul 11, 2022
Sorry if it's already been mentioned/asked earlier in the thread, but I can't seem to find this with a simple Google search.

Does anyone know if this physical version comes with the classic music and premium fun pack DLC as well? Or is it just the Plus content (which I'm aware is just a code in the box)?

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
Sorry if it's already been mentioned/asked earlier in the thread, but I can't seem to find this with a simple Google search.

Does anyone know if this physical version comes with the classic music and premium fun pack DLC as well? Or is it just the Plus content (which I'm aware is just a code in the box)?
Yep, answered in the OT.

www.resetera.com

Sonic Origins Plus |OT| Rose-Colored Glasses OT

https://youtu.be/-1G2BKObfW0 Developed by Sonic Team w/assistance from Headcannon XB/PS/Switch/Steam June 23rd Sonic Origins + Plus: $39.99 Base Sonic Origins : $29.99 Plus DLC : $9.99 Thank you to Unknownlight for creating the original OP, in which I’ve used some of their work here for...

Q: Base Sonic Origins had some weird-ass optional DLC packs. What's the deal with those?

A: All of the weird additional DLC (island viewer, a few extra missions, ect.) are now included with Sonic Origins Plus. By buying Origins Plus, you are getting ALL Origins content available.