• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Micael

Oct 28, 2017
So people should give away important information like this so it gets stored in a database just to hopefully get a few dozen bad people off the streets?
Well if OP current job doesn't work out for him he will always have a bright future among its like minded peers in homeland security / CIA.

I mean I know I am sounding dismissive here, but seriously this is basically the same argument that gets used in the name of national security by a ton of countries all the time, creating problems that can potentially affect millions (and will likely do at some point) to stop a statistically insignificant problem is a very grave error in logic to say the least.

Biske

Nov 11, 2017
Yeah I'm not such a fan of giving my DNA out freely for government and corporations to use and abuse as they see fit.

If I could be sure it was only ever used for this good purpose, sure, but otherwise no.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
With this OP title I thought it would be like OP talking about how DNA evidence led to his brother's killer and he was finally able to find closure. Instead it's not lol

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Yeah I'm not such a fan of giving my DNA out freely for government and corporations to use and abuse as they see fit.

If I could be sure it was only ever used for this good purpose, sure, but otherwise no.
And even then DNA evidence isn't even infallible.

Biske

Nov 11, 2017
And even then DNA evidence isn't even infallible.

Yeah any technology is only as good as the current understanding and utilization of it.

In terms of criminal justice, there is a damn good reason why we have the right to remain silent and why if you ever run into trouble or face questioning by police the smart thing to do is shut the fuck up. Just shut the fuck up until you've have a lawyer who understands the law and is in your corner to stand up and fight for you.

It's way to easy to innocently give out information with only the best intentions in mind and get absolutely fucked over by someones misuse of that information.

petethepanda

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
chicago
giphy.gif

Nov 23, 2017
You know those threads about how articles say Millennials are the worst and are killing X Y and Z, and then all the Millennials on this site flock and say no GenX caused us to spiral towards dystopian apocalypse while Millennials are trying to save the planet all the while not acknowledging that Millennials were key in creating a dystopian corporate police state? Fun times.

It won't just be pharmaceutical companies that would be interested in selling you stuff either. I've been getting a lot of ads for scooters and knee pillows lately.
Lol wtf does this mean

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
while not acknowledging that Millennials were key in creating a dystopian corporate police state?
Even still, 15 newcomers climbed into the ranks, including Ripple's Chris Larsen, the first member of the 400 to make a fortune from crypto-currency; Drew Houston, CEO of newly public online file-sharing firm Dropbox; and In-N-Out heiress Lynsi Snyder, now the youngest woman on the Forbes 400 at age 36. For more list highlights and the methodology, click here.
https://www.forbes.com/forbes-400/#d9cbc577e2ff
Mate we weren't even allowed to drink when the corporate police state was established.

Last edited:

SMD

Oct 28, 2017
So, I don't know how many of you follow this kinda stuff in the news, but basically there is a new-ish technology being used by law enforcement now to solve cold cases. It's called familial DNA or genealogy DNA technology. I'm sure even some of you who don't follow this very closely have heard about the Golden State Killer case being solved this year. This was due in large part to this new technology(along with hard detective work of course). Many other lesser known cases have been solved using this technology this year. The number increases every week. Families are getting justice for their loved ones who have had brutal crimes happen to them and have lived in the dark for so many years wondering who took their loved ones away and wondering if the perpetrators will ever be brought to justice.

If you don't know how this technology works, basically how it works is, if law enforcement gets a DNA sample at a crime scene, they then run that sample through DNA genealogy databases(like 23andMe, but not that specifically, because it's not public and they don't allow law enforcement access). GEDMatch is one commonly used, for example. All people of the same bloodline will have partially matching DNA, even if it is a distant cousin. So what law enforcement can now do is if they have a DNA sample of unknown John Doe killer, they run his DNA through these databases and if they get a partial match, they will know they have identified someone in this John Doe killer's family. So at that point, all they have to do is using law enforcement resources, go through that family tree and find a person or persons who best fit the most likely perpetrator, discreetly collect their DNA and identify the killer.

This technology is truly a game changer. Countless cold cases are already being solved this year alone and it has really just started to be used. There is also Parabon NanoLabs that helps, by using one's DNA to construct a digital image of what the person may look like and analyze their DNA based on genetic traits.

But here's how you can help. If every one of you submit your DNA to these databases, then you ostensibly have your family tree's DNA now in the database. So if a distant cousin of yours commits a murder, law enforcement would be able to make the link using your submitted DNA. So basically one person is essentially just as good as having your entire family(blood line) all submit their DNA individually. So if each of you submit your DNA, there would literally be nowhere for these killers to hide, assuming if a crime is committed, a sample is left behind. The more family bloodlines in these databases, the greater chance a partial match would be discovered. If you've ever watched cold case documentaries or shows, or saw news specials on TV of heartbroken families who have lost loved ones and the killer was never found, this is a great way to help.

If you're interested, I recommend using GEDMatch, it's the main one law enforcement uses. I'm not sponsoring anything, I'm just someone who is from a family with a long line of police officers, so justice has always meant a lot to me, and you see a lot of things being pushed through the media today about how every John Doe or Jane Doe can make a real life difference, and this is actually one of those opportunities. I simply don't see it talked about in the media enough, and this is a big community, so I figured I'd bring it to your attention for anyone here who doesn't already know about it. Thanks if you're willing to help, and if not, no big deal either.

Everyone, enjoy your holidays

dat's da sound of da police

So, I don't know how many of you follow this kinda stuff in the news, but basically there is a new-ish technology being used by law enforcement now to solve cold cases. It's called familial DNA or genealogy DNA technology. I'm sure even some of you who don't follow this very closely have heard about the Golden State Killer case being solved this year. This was due in large part to this new technology(along with hard detective work of course). Many other lesser known cases have been solved using this technology this year. The number increases every week. Families are getting justice for their loved ones who have had brutal crimes happen to them and have lived in the dark for so many years wondering who took their loved ones away and wondering if the perpetrators will ever be brought to justice.

If you don't know how this technology works, basically how it works is, if law enforcement gets a DNA sample at a crime scene, they then run that sample through DNA genealogy databases(like 23andMe, but not that specifically, because it's not public and they don't allow law enforcement access). GEDMatch is one commonly used, for example. All people of the same bloodline will have partially matching DNA, even if it is a distant cousin. So what law enforcement can now do is if they have a DNA sample of unknown John Doe killer, they run his DNA through these databases and if they get a partial match, they will know they have identified someone in this John Doe killer's family. So at that point, all they have to do is using law enforcement resources, go through that family tree and find a person or persons who best fit the most likely perpetrator, discreetly collect their DNA and identify the killer.

This technology is truly a game changer. Countless cold cases are already being solved this year alone and it has really just started to be used. There is also Parabon NanoLabs that helps, by using one's DNA to construct a digital image of what the person may look like and analyze their DNA based on genetic traits.

But here's how you can help. If every one of you submit your DNA to these databases, then you ostensibly have your family tree's DNA now in the database. So if a distant cousin of yours commits a murder, law enforcement would be able to make the link using your submitted DNA. So basically one person is essentially just as good as having your entire family(blood line) all submit their DNA individually. So if each of you submit your DNA, there would literally be nowhere for these killers to hide, assuming if a crime is committed, a sample is left behind. The more family bloodlines in these databases, the greater chance a partial match would be discovered. If you've ever watched cold case documentaries or shows, or saw news specials on TV of heartbroken families who have lost loved ones and the killer was never found, this is a great way to help.

If you're interested, I recommend using GEDMatch, it's the main one law enforcement uses. I'm not sponsoring anything, I'm just someone who is from a family with a long line of police officers, so justice has always meant a lot to me, and you see a lot of things being pushed through the media today about how every John Doe or Jane Doe can make a real life difference, and this is actually one of those opportunities. I simply don't see it talked about in the media enough, and this is a big community, so I figured I'd bring it to your attention for anyone here who doesn't already know about it. Thanks if you're willing to help, and if not, no big deal either.

Everyone, enjoy your holidays

da sound of the beast

Koo

Dec 10, 2017
Absolutely not.

Not sure what pitch OP was going for. But pay to have the FBI shake my family tree and see what falls out doesn't sound like a good use of my money or something I would ever want to do.

If I could legally bar everyone in my family from taking part in something like this I would.

Brakke

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The results are in! OP is related to "the cops did one nice thing once years ago so respect them" guy!

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
My S/O was just talking about submitting the code to her very existence to some corporation so that they can feed her back false results while selling her soul.

If you've committed any crimes such as the following you should report yourself to all relevant corporations so they can sue you:
Emulation, downloading games, downloading music, listening to music on YouTube, using copyrighted images as forum avatars, illegally downloading forum avatars of copyrighted material (all of you are guilty of this violation of copyright and must be sued, turn yourself in now).

Bob Beat

Oct 25, 2017
My pitch is dozens of really bad people have been taken off the street using this technology, so they can't hurt anyone else. And so far it has done significantly more good than it has done harm.
You could start with the actual police if you want to get a bunch of really bad people off the streets.

I'm not helping these assholes if they refuse to police themselves.

sandboxgod

Attempting to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Austin, Texas
I am afro american. No way am I aiding the police in harassing my family tree for yrs to come under false charges or they got "setup" somehow

Nov 14, 2017
This is a terrible idea. This kind of thing is pretty much the worst way to use DNA evidence; it should be used in conjunction with other evidence in a targeted way. Just because there are a few instances of this producing what appear to be good convictions doesn't mean that it should be used in general. The problem is that as the number of possible matches increases, so does the chance of a false positive. If lazy or incompetent police or prosecutors use this as a way to start fishing expeditions against people with certain familial DNA, it's highly likely to produce miscarriages.

Xx 720

Nov 3, 2017
For identifying lost remains, it's a God send. I do worry about it being abused. One thing, it's kind of better having a third party do the initial testing. There have been horror stories of people being wrongly convicted based on forensic evidenced that was falsified/not performed by state labs.

Nov 1, 2017
I'm guessing this didn't go exactly as OP planned.

And fuck no, a national DNA register in the hands of the government/law enforcement is some dystopian shit.

Last edited:

the lizard

Nov 1, 2017
Nope, no way, not gonna happen. These companies have all my damn data already, the only way they're getting my DNA is by force.

GeoNeo

Oct 26, 2017
HELL TO THE FUCK NO. 100% chance the Zucc uses people's donated DNA to create clones so he can eat them in the future.