• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

KingBrave

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Because companies and governments have always had out best interests in mind? Yeah, that's a no. Look at the recent news of Facebook giving our private messages to companies just to get an idea of what someone would do with our DNA.

moustascheman

Oct 26, 2017
Canada
No OP. DNA has been misused in prosecutions before to get innocent people jailed. People have been sent to prison for 20+ years because the cops mistook dog hair as their own.

Ultima_5

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not giving a company money to have my dna and use it for whatever they want.

It's not bringing back people's loved ones

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
6c948djx.png

Drain You

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 27, 2017
Connecticut
Snitches get stitches.

...but seriously, I'm not giving a company my DNA. I'm too paranoid for thatshit, whether or not my reasoning is justified.

ahoyhoy

Oct 25, 2017
They're gonna have everyone's DNA in a database in a decade anyhow. Might as well be an early adopter I suppose. Maybe your sample will get bonus DLC.

JetmanJay

Nov 1, 2017
So besides the potentiality of the police fucking up, and using your DNA to throw an innocent in prison (as if that wasn't bad enough), is that the only worry that exists with doing this?

What are ya'll thinking will happen with your DNA? That some corporation will make an ERA cloned super mutant army to take over the country?

Baked Pigeon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Phoenix
Hard pass.

My DNA is mine. I don't feel comfortable with someone having my DNA and using it in a manner that could incriminate me for something I did not do. I know the odds of that are astronomical, but i'm just not taking that chance.

Bakercat

Oct 27, 2017
'merica
Naw man, I'd rather not have police holding onto my dna, regardless of anything I plan or not plan to do. Don't want Police knocking down my door cause they "found" my dna evidence at a crime scene.

May 26, 2018
So besides the potentiality of the police fucking up, and using your DNA to throw an innocent in prison (as if that wasn't bad enough), is that the only worry that exists with doing this?

What are ya'll thinking will happen with your DNA? That some corporation will make an ERA cloned super mutant army to take over the country?

I remember this argument (with slightly different nouns) from about 2009. I think it was about Facebook or Google having access to your personal data. Something like that. Maybe my memory is just weird though.

larrybud

Oct 25, 2017
law enforcement has an important job to do. but they are not your friends and you owe them nothing other than what the law requires.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017

I recommend you look into the general topic of DNA copyright and how pharmaceutical companies are trying to copyright stuff like this. https://www.gqlifesciences.com/copyright-for-engineered-dna/

Also it's not hard to imagine a future where you could be denied insurance because a voluntary DNA scan you submitted found a chance to have certain conditions.

Last edited:

Gabriel

Oct 25, 2017
I'm a middle aged upper middle class white guy, so I have the least to fear from the police as the only thing I'm going to get profiled for is "most likely to go back for seconds". And yet, this still gets a HELL NO from me. How can ANYONE trust this?

Burly

Oct 25, 2017
The futute: "23andme has been selling your DNA to shady genetics firm"

Farther in the future: "Shady genetics firm is using your DNA to identify diseases (and why that's a good thing)"

Father in the future still: "Shady genetics firm has secretly been selling your information to drug companies all along"

HEY THERE LOOKS LIKE YOU HAVE THE GENTIC MARKERS FOR DISLOCATED KNEE SYNDROME. TRY ARGESTOVIN TO FIX THAT SHIT!

Gifted

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Bruh I don't think a "Nigga what?!" has ever been more warranted. I don't know what else to say.

laoni

Oct 25, 2017
If you actually want to save lives with mailed in cheek swabs, join the bone marrow match database. A lot more people in need to match with than there are serial killers.

Yeah, do this one if you're really looking to do something akin to this to help out.

My concern is with medical insurance costs. If the data is sold to insurance companies, they could then make judgements on how much you pay by the genetic likelihoods of you developing xyz, which could easily price people out of cover.

SpaceSong

Oct 25, 2017
In a late stage capitalistic society where corporations want nothing more than every way possible to fuck over end users to nickle and dime them into the grave? Fuck no, OP. You gotta be dim to think that giving your DNA to a fucking genealogy company is a good idea and for a greater, higher cause.

Oct 25, 2017
Jesus Christ, hell no to voluntarily giving my DNA to some anonymous company I don't know anything about. They have enough information on me already from the tracking cookies to amazon recommending me movies I just talked about to my friends with. The breach of privacy is already terrifying enough and you want people to willingly give their DNA to some random company, in the slight hope it will solve a cold case then using an appeal to emotion of a case it did solve? Its slim pickings not to mention what happens when the wrong people get their hands on a DNA database such as being framed for a crime, or what happens when you have similar DNA to what was found in a crime scene. Hell we're breaching minority report shit here.

JetmanJay

Nov 1, 2017
I recommend you look into the general topic of DNA copyright and how pharmaceutical companies are trying to copyright stuff like this. https://www.gqlifesciences.com/copyright-for-engineered-dna/

Also it's not hard to imagine a future where you could be denied insurance because a voluntary DNA scan you submitted found a chance to have certain conditions.

Hmm. Interesting read. Thank you.
Couldn't companies hoping to use the genetic code gleaned from DNA just get it elsewhere if they really needed or wanted to? Like a hospital or any other number of facilities or businesses that might come across or have access to a persons DNA?

So, I guess the argument becomes, is it worth it, at this point in time to willingly give my DNA to potentially save an innocent humans life in a court of justice, along with possible mis identification in those same courts versus a hypothetical chance that my DNA could make some other future coptoation money in genetic coding/synthetic biology?
I'm not an expert in the field or a fortune teller, so I can understand a lot of people with a layman's knowledge of this, just don't care about a possible future they may or may not be able to reap the benefits of.

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
all these people in this thread with something to hide.

You can trust that the corporations and agencies that are gathering private medical information only have good intentions.

dots

Oct 27, 2017

Genetic markers for disease. We cn't trust that preexisting condition protections will last forever. And once that happens, insurers will use these results to deny coverage.