• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What say you?

• #TeamCutContent

Votes: 294 26.4%
  • #TeamFake

Votes: 179 16.1%
  • #TeamMod

Votes: 366 32.9%
  • #TeamARG

Votes: 274 24.6%

• Total voters

Hektor

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Deutschland
6ny2c4.jpg

construct

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Jun 5, 2020
東京
i don't really get why this would be an official arg? how would any of this be related to what they'd be announcing? "600 Nier references in a small unfinished room DLC!!"? they could hit way more people through traditional PR campaigns without the need of pretending to be a kid who says weird shit.

Venat Fan

Oct 29, 2017
i don't really get why this would be an official arg? how would any of this be related to what they'd be announcing? "600 Nier references in a small unfinished room DLC!!"? they could hit way more people through traditional PR campaigns without the need of pretending to be a kid who says weird shit.
The other explanations would be this person is a genius who made several big modding breakthroughs no one else in the community has achieved or that someone put hundreds of hours into a hoax recreating the game in another engine, and somehow executing it almost flawlessly (it took a month for people to spot the few inconsistencies in the video to the real game).

Honestly I'm thinking Drakengard 4. Drakengard isn't nearly as big of a name as NieR despite being the same series, so this might help push NieR fans to Drakengard.

Also this type of marketing would be in character for the series.

Patitoloco

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I honestly hope Yoko Taro can get out of that weird "Voice of Cards" phase he's in and just gets back to weird shit.

construct

Jun 5, 2020
東京
The other explanations would be this person is a genius who made several big modding breakthroughs no one else in the community has achieved or that someone put hundreds of hours into a hoax recreating the game in another engine, and somehow executing it almost flawlessly (it took a month for people to spot the few inconsistencies in the video to the real game).

Honestly I'm thinking Drakengard 4. Drakengard isn't nearly as big of a name as NieR despite being the same series, so this might help push NieR fans to Drakengard.

i don't necessarily think it's one person and there are other modding communities that don't interact with the english speaking ones im sure. i sooner go back to sadfutago being real over an ARG

wrowa

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think this is an ARG, but don't underestimate the kind of reach this got. The initial tweet by Lance alone got 125k likes and 3 million views. People love mysteries and whoever is behind this pulled it off brilliantly - this is massive.

fertygo

Oct 25, 2017
Im not sure why Yoko Taro or other SE guys just answer truthfully if it is a mod. they even responding smh

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017

We need to stop thinking the Nier modding community is some kind of holy grail of modding that knows everything, and that everyone who mods Nier games is inside that community. Lot of good modders aren't parts of any central community. Guy could be like an awesome japanese or chinese modder, for putting an example.

Even Lance said the most plausible outcome is a mod.

Last edited:

Hektor

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Deutschland

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
The poster is either a troll (genius modder shadowcasing his work and getting exposure) or someone pretending to be oblivious (ARG/Taro spinning in his chair). There is no other explanation.

Patitoloco

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
We need to stop thinking the Nier modding community is some kind of holy grail of modding that knows everything, and that everyone who mods Nier games is inside that community. Lot of good modders aren't parts of any central community. Guy could be like an awesome japanese or chinese modder, for putting an example.

He doesn't have a clue, this is one of his last messages in the Discord

309URVd.png

fertygo

Oct 25, 2017

Its a game with one of the jankiest engine out there.. with no documentation its really hard to believe its possible.

construct

Jun 5, 2020
東京
I don't think this is an ARG, but don't underestimate the kind of reach this got. The initial tweet by Lance alone got 125k likes and 3 million views. People love mysteries and whoever is behind this pulled it off brilliantly - this is massive.
125k is pretty insane actually. i do think this is a luck of the draw thing though and this person(s) never expected it to blow up like this

Kapryov

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
It being "just a mod" would be an awesome breakthrough for the community and a great outcome.
I'd love to play through fanmade custom levels/arenas.

It'll be hard to be disappointed about whatever this ends up being.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
After reading the google doc I think it has to be a mod, too many inconsistencies for it being anything but that

Still, it's pretty amazing

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
No one has been able to figure what this is in the Nier Replicant remake.

E1MKN32VkAULiP-.jpg:large

Right ?

Hektor

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Deutschland
Hell, I hope with this Taro and Co. go to Square Enix, point at their phones and tell the CEO "see? people talk about Nier, let us do another one"

You'd think with over 7 million sales it'd be square enix telling yoko to sit the fuck down and make another one

No one has been able to figure what this is in the Nier Replicant remake.

E1MKN32VkAULiP-.jpg:large

Right ?

No, but the theory was that this is simply part of a scrapped puzzle from the new content they added, since there are unused voicelines reffering to one aswell.

Venat Fan

Oct 29, 2017
Hell, I hope with this Taro and Co. go to Square Enix, point at their phones and tell the CEO "see? people talk about Nier, let us do another one"
Yoko Taro said around Replicant's launch that he was working on two secret projects. One normal one and one weird one. Presumably the weird one was Voice of Cards. So the last one is probably the next Drakengard/Nier. Considering how when those games weren't very successful there was still a new one every 3-5 years, after Automata the next one is almost certainly in production.

Patitoloco

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You'd think with over 7 million sales it'd be square enix telling yoko to sit the fuck down and make another one
I know!

Where is it though!?

Yoko Taro said around Replicant's launch that he was working on two secret projects. One normal one and one weird one. Presumably the weird one was Voice of Cards. So the last one is probably the next Drakengard/Nier. Considering how when those games weren't very successful there was still a new one every 3-5 years, after Automata the next one is almost certainly in production.
That's good to know, I feel like leaving Nier die again would be peak Square Enix though.

I also wonder who would work on it, I suppose Toylogic (because Platinum seems to be completely full with their own games)

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017

No, but the theory was that this is simply part of a scrapped puzzle from the new content they added, since there are unused voicelines reffering to one aswell.

Yeah but it doesn't make sense.

The only cut content found was related to one specific mission they added and shortened in the final version.

This mentions a "procedure" which is more likely to deal with the automata connection in E. Which we haven't found cut content for.

Venat Fan

Oct 29, 2017
That's good to know, I feel like leaving Nier die again would be peak Square Enix though.

I also wonder who would work on it, I suppose Toylogic (because Platinum seems to be completely full with their own games)
I don't think it's either. The NieR team at Platinum went on to make Babylon's Fall from what it seems. Nier Replicant was the first big game for Toylogic that they weren't simply a support studio on, so I doubt they were also given the responsibility of an entirely new game at the same time (since I doubt they waited for Replicant to come out to greenlight the next Drakengard/Nier). So likely the series jumped studios for like the fourth time lol.

Won't speculate more than that to avoid derailing the thread.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK

Can you imagine the scenes if the reveal trailer of the next Drakengard/Nier features the twisted corridor/church?

Niosai

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I like my personal theory that the guy who started this actually is playing a modded copy, but has an older sibling or friend who is a modder and gave them a copy that's super modded.

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
I wanna point out, the very first hint to NieR Automata's existence, long before the game itself was announced, was a datamined Song called "YorHA - Normandy" in Drakengard 3 and investigating it led people to find out that the songs in Drakengard 3 were from a (fake) Idol Group Called YorHA

So it's not like this doesn't have precedence

Were there any NieR links at this point??? God this is so wild, no wonder stuff like this still seems feasible

Patitoloco

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I like my personal theory that the guy who started this actually is playing a modded copy, but has an older sibling or friend who is a modder and gave them a copy that's super modded.
#modmom is an embraced theory in the Discord, where sadfutago's mom is an expert modder that has just added new content to her son's favorite game to make him happy :)

Venat Fan

Oct 29, 2017
Most likely, but I love it lol

It's good fun, unlike Abandoned and the scam behind it.
I'm just loving having the modding Discord open in the background to occasionally check in on since there are frequently inane arguments and crazy conspiracies (both presumably from the non-modders caught up in the hype).

Patitoloco

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm just loving having the modding Discord open in the background to occasionally check in on since there are frequently inane arguments and crazy conspiracies (both presumably from the non-modders caught up in the hype).
Same lol the #church-hunt channels are so fun.

Apparently the server was 1000 members at the start of the week, and now it's closer to 7k, everyone's just riding the hype lol

Hektor

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Deutschland
Ima call that nexusmods post fake until there's reason to believe its the RealSadfutago

Were there any NieR links at this point??? God this is so wild, no wonder stuff like this still seems feasible

The drakengard franchise itself already had links to nier, but there was nothing at the time that specifically linked this fake idol group or song to nier until after the stageplays and the game were announced.

construct

Jun 5, 2020
東京
they debunked the nexus mod thing. there are twitter bots that are made every second using that scheme or something

Arcus Felis

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 26, 2017
I'm leaning more and more on #teamfake. But damn if I'm not eating pop-corn while reading this thread.

Kapryov

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
Australia