• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
yes, it's amazing that people can see more about a person than just an avatar only 200 characters worth of text.

so would/do you only hire perfect people? what is this purity nonsensical shit....would you never hire someone with a criminal background either if they're trying to get their life back around....so that they never have a chance to succeed or recover?

like I dont get it, of all the vile harmful shit people could do...this is too much for you to look past.
This isn't something she did in the past, this is something she literally just did now and to a very important person working at/with NASA... It's their discretion what to do, and I'm fine with him giving mercy and trying to bring her back, but you literally should not insult your higher-ups on social media. I wouldn't have tried to bring her back if she insulted me but that's his choice. If she's a douche on social media I'd think she'd likely be a douche in the work place.

Nov 8, 2017
I cant even with this shit, Like what is this no tolerance, no mercy world we're living in for people that make stupid mistakes and own up to it?

She didnt know who the guy was and I would have had the same reaction to some random old dude telling me to reign in my excitement on what was supposed to be a twitter account between personal friends and family.

Yes, fun, cant even joke about shit anymore without people losing a goddamn fit.

If you are applying for a NASA internship then I don't really get how someone doesn't know who Homer Hickam is, he certainly isn't some random old dude, he is one of the most recognisable names associated with NASA

Her twitter was public. It was not a private account for "personal friends and family"

Like it's a hard lesson for her and I'm not particularly against her getting a second chance. But for any large company you HAVE TO moderate your language online when you are discussing your workplace. You are a representative of the company and have to act like one, like it or not.

And really it's not that hard to not be a dick online, even if you think someone is attacking you.

Skelepuzzle

Apr 17, 2018
I would be extremely interested in seeing how age correlates to opinion regarding whether or not telling a professional superior to suck your dick and balls should be consequence free or not, let alone merit a promotion after your friends mob him.

I'm often grateful for being born before the internet was a thing.

Joe2187

Oct 25, 2017
Expecting basic levels of professional decorum from the people you hire and will be representing you is not some sort of ridiculously high arbitrary hurdle.

Professional decorum in the workplace...yes.

Professional decorum in my private life and getting over excited over something I've been working towards for a while? Nah....Imma go nuts.

Quantum Leap

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
California
suck my dick and balls i'm working at nasa
giphy.gif

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Professional decorum in my private life and getting over excited over something I've been working towards for a while? Nah....Imma go nuts.
Twitter is a public forum and you're representing yourself on it. If Roseanne can get fired over a tweet, so can you.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
Ooh my gawd, oh my god hahaha. Dude I would like to see her reaction to seeing that, that's ok I can imagine it actually. Daaaaaaaaang.

ahoyhoy

Oct 25, 2017
I paid for a full page ad in the local paper that reads "Suck my dick and balls I work at NASA!"

Wait I'm fired?

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017

But a public twitter account isn't considered a private life.

If you want to celebrate in private, and tell your family and friends in person to suck your balls, then by all means, go ahead.

prophetvx

Nov 28, 2017
yes, it's amazing that people can see more about a person than just an avatar only 200 characters worth of text.

so would/do you only hire perfect people? what is this purity nonsensical shit....would you never hire someone with a criminal background either if they're trying to get their life back around....so that they never have a chance to succeed or recover?

like I dont get it, of all the vile harmful shit people could do...this is too much for you to look past.
No one is perfect. You seem to think saying not hiring her in the now, literally days after she did it is the same as blackballing someone for life. 200 characters of text is very effective in determining someones maturity and professionalism at a given time, if she is old enough to intern at NASA, she is old enough to know not to conduct herself in that manner on twitter. You're acting like they owe her something, tens of thousands of kids would kill for an internship at NASA. It's pretty simple, don't carry on like a moron on twitter and double down on it with some random who calls you out on it, especially when said random, is one of the most recognizable names in the industry.

It has little to do with purity, it just shows she is severely lacking in common sense and courtesy... Things that are actually important when you enter a professional industry.

If she said this to the interviewer as she got the call for the job, how do you think that would go down?

vahlorie

Oct 26, 2017
I don't know why you all are still arguing, this Hickam guy has the correct take.

Yeah, I was just going to say seems odd that this is still a big deal. He accepted her apology and neither seem to have any hard feelings towards eachother. Why are non-involved people the ones still keeping this going?

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I was just going to say seems odd that this is still a big deal. He accepted her apology and neither seem to have any hard feelings towards eachother. Why are non-involved people the ones still keeping this going?

It's a discussion forum and people are basically discussing their opinions on the whole thing. Sounds about what you should expect from a board based mostly on opinions.

Deleted member 4461

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Evidently Homer Hickham has deleted his Twitter now. This kid's friends are trash, and they refuse to take any accountability. I wish them the worst.

Mammoth Jones

Oct 25, 2017
New York
Evidently Homer Hickham has deleted his Twitter now. This kid's friends are trash, and they refuse to take any accountability. I wish them the worst.

Pssst. Her friends are trash cause she is trash.

My friends would tell me to delete my shitty tweet with haste as to not fuck up and lose out on a good opportunity. That's the difference between true friends and folks just looking for entertainment at your expense.

Deleted member 3815

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Her Twitter is a social media owned by a private company, her tweets were not private and more or less is equal of someone yelling in a public place.

People have been fired over post they have made on Twitter and Facebook.

Cybit

Oct 25, 2017
Glad she didn't get fired (it seems?), but this is one of those points where "I'm part of a marginalized community hur hur I'm gonna punch up" is no excuse for being a piece of trash human. Honestly - the fact that she didn't bother taking the two seconds to check who this person was before responding terrifies me as someone in aerospace, because that level of detail and thoroughness is how you don't get people fucking killed. It does not bode well for her ability to be thorough or not make dumb impulsive decisions based on "feelings" - which is a pretty important trait to have when dealing with space specifically due to the level of detail and precision required.

SK4TE

Banned
Nov 26, 2017
The tweeter also said that if she lost the internship it would be worth it just for the tweet.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017

If you're so confident this is how the world works and you work for a fortune 500 company show your ass on Facebook and twitter while making references to the company you work for.

:|

Slime

Oct 25, 2017
Young person gets excited, overacts...

ruin their dreams?

sounds reasonable

I would maybe agree with you if the person was 16 and was weirdly excited about working at McDonald's.

If you're hoping for a career at NASA maybe, I dunno, don't act like a dumbass 13-year-old on your public-facing social media profile?

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
They really need "social media etiquette" in schools now since it's apparently not common sense.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017

For the millionth time. Shit you broadcast over social media isn't private. Keep it to your backyard barbeque with friends and family if you want privacy, don't grab the biggest digital bullhorn in existence and shout it aloud and be surprised someone else overheard.

Status
Not open for further replies.