Oct 27, 2017
These really need
  • Perspective correction
  • Texture filtering
  • Remappable controls
But I won't hold my breath.

Ronin | Rin |

Jul 13, 2021
If it's part of this service it would be playable on PS5 yes.
So far these games are announced to run on PS4 and PS5.

I wouldn't bet on Vita though. I doubt there are enough exclusive games to justify developing an emulator. You'd be more likely to see something like Soul Sacrifice get some kind of port.
If you wanna play on a TV you could get a PSTV
I don't think anyone even expected PSP titles to appear on this, so anything is possible at this point.

Thank you all for your feedback! It's makes my day knowing that select Vita games "might" be playable on PS4/PS5 if forces align. There are certainly a few incredible gems there for me. Soul Sacrifice is the best example. I'd love to see a port of that. I would play the heck out of that game and I know I am not alone on that. A sequel or a spiritual successor would be a dream!!

I have considered PSTV just for Soul Sacrifice, but I gave up on that because of the affordability.

Speaking of PSP titles, is a game list of some sort announced? I wonder if any of the Monster Hunter games will be playable? I love MHWI and I would love to experience the older titles on a bigger screen - even with average graphics.

Arttemis

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
So are these streaming, rental-based, or purchasable?

Edit - only PS3 games will be restricted from purchasing?

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
Thank you all for your feedback! It's makes my day knowing that select Vita games "might" be playable on PS4/PS5 if forces align. There are certainly a few incredible gems there for me. Soul Sacrifice is the best example. I'd love to see a port of that. I would play the heck out of that game and I know I am not alone on that. A sequel or a spiritual successor would be a dream!!

I have considered PSTV just for Soul Sacrifice, but I gave up on that because of the affordability.

Speaking of PSP titles, is a game list of some sort announced? I wonder if any of the Monster Hunter games will be playable? I love MHWI and I would love to experience the older titles on a bigger screen - even with average graphics.

No game list has been announced yet. We've just been slowly getting leaks from PSN and Korean ratings. So far for PSP we've seen hints at the Syphon Filter games and Ridge Racers 2. I kinda doubt Monster Hunter will be available, they haven't been available before as classics and they seem to like to re-release them as Ultimate editions... but you never know, there's only the couple PS2 games that would have been eligible for classics up to this point.

So are these streaming, rental-based, or purchasable?

Edit - only PS3 games will be restricted from purchasing?

We don't know if PS1/PSP (and new PS2) classics will be purchaseable like current PS2 classics are. Some people think they will based on rumors and ratings (NSO games were not re-rated). PS3 definitely won't be downloadable or purchaseable though.

Fafalada

Oct 27, 2017
These really need
  • Perspective correction
  • Texture filtering
  • Remappable controls
But I won't hold my breath.
Well - Sony had texture filtering in PS1 games since March 2000, and remappable controls circa 2006.
Perspective correction I wouldn't bet on - but then again when they brought out HD-resolution for PS2 that came out of nowhere, and it was implemented more robustly than any emulator before (or after), so who knows.

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
How would online play be included when literally none of those games offered it? I guess T5DR eventually did for the PS3 (though T5 on the PS2 did not), but that version would not be downloadable on PS+, and I can't imagine the lag involved between two streaming players.
SharePlay coop works surprisingly well. And client does not even need to own the game!

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
That is really cool. Looks like they would promote this more.

I'm not sure they'd want to promote a feature that potentially discourages a game sale.

Like, I can play LEGO Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga with my nieces and nephews without them having to buy a copy of the game. While that's awesome for us, the gamer, I can see why they wouldn't be shouting such a feature from the rafters. Especially for co-op games like that.

In general, the Share Play feature has been a touted feature by Sony, but this particular perk of the service is understandably kept low key.

I honestly didn't even think of using it that way until I saw someone mention it on this forum a few weeks back.

Deleted member 12867

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not sure they'd want to promote a feature that potentially discourages a game sale.

Like, I can play LEGO Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga with my nieces and nephews without them having to buy a copy of the game. While that's awesome for us, the gamer, I can see why they wouldn't be shouting such a feature from the rafters. Especially for co-op games like that.

In general, the Share Play feature has been a touted feature by Sony, but this particular perk of the service is understandably kept low key.

I honestly didn't even think of using it that way until I saw someone mention it on this forum a few weeks back.
Yeah that makes sense. It definitely is a very cool feature I'm gonna start making use of.

Izanagi89

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 27, 2017
Izanagi89 I must work for the next hours, so I wont be able to update the thread if more leaks show up.

I trust that in my absence if more leaks happen you can post here and update everyone on it.

F7PJol.gif

Don't dissapoint me :P

It's midnight here so I'm hitting the hay. Alas you are the sole provider of PSN leaks for now 😭

Listai

50¢ - "This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
Well - Sony had texture filtering in PS1 games since March 2000, and remappable controls circa 2006.

Sure, but never at the same time. Bilinear filtering was only on the PS2 because while the MIPS R3000 was built in but the GTE was emulated.

When they switched to pure software emulation with the PS3 they introduced remappable controls, but there was no support for any form of texture filtering.

Perspective correction I wouldn't bet on - but then again when they brought out HD-resolution for PS2 that came out of nowhere, and it was implemented more robustly than any emulator before (or after), so who knows.

Oh look, I don't think it's likely, but if they bump the resolution some form of perspective correction should follow because the aesthetic really falls apart above 240p when you have the waterbed polygons wobbling everywhere. Being able to disable dithering as well would go a long way (although it does break the visuals in some games).

Piccoro

Nov 20, 2017

For co-op to work on Share Play, both users need to be Plus subscribers, otherwise only the "pass the controller" function works.
So Sony would still get a cut through the subs.

netguy503

Nov 15, 2017
Hard to say. They patented how to add them but like...someone still has to actually go in to add them. I can't imagine them doing that for 300+ games that are there on Day 1. It'd be a different story if they were adding like 5 older games a month.
No their own wording (somewhere I don't have it for proof) they said every game on their store that goes for a $1 amount WILL have trophies. So if they sell these games individually it's 90% going to have trophy support (how ever lame it will be/ maybe not a full list or plat). If they go back on that they will have as much angry people as there are right now for being denied service to redeem their PSN codes.

amara

Nov 23, 2021
I assume it will be a very small number of PS2 games at launch. Maybe trickle in a few every month

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
For co-op to work on Share Play, both users need to be Plus subscribers, otherwise only the "pass the controller" function works.
So Sony would still get a cut through the subs.

Ah, that's good to know! It makes sense that it'd require PS+, but my comments were more about the software sales. I'm sure they wouldn't be too happy if everyone just share-played their co-op games instead of those people buying a copy of the game itself. Especially 3rd parties, who I don't believe get a cut of any subscription services Sony, Microsoft, or Nintendo provide. Or a cut that makes the loss of software sales any less stinging.

Dec 9, 2018
New Jersey
Since I still have my uncle's PS2 (still working after close to 19 years of existence!), I really don't mind if the PS2 library is a slow start. I just want to see the PS1 goodness.

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
I just hope that we get to buy these things and because I assume the PS6 onward will carry your libraries forward we can maybe use this as a foundation to eventually have PS1, PS2, PSP , etc... libraries continue for the generations to come without rebuying them, etc...

Vito

One Winged Slayer - Formerly Undead Fantasy
Oct 25, 2017
I just hope that we get to buy these things and because I assume the PS6 onward will carry your libraries forward we can maybe use this as a foundation to eventually have PS1, PS2, PSP , etc... libraries continue for the generations to come without rebuying them, etc...
No excuse for PS6 and beyond to not be able to run these. BC should be mandatory now.

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
No excuse for PS6 and beyond to not be able to run these. BC should be mandatory now.
Yup which is why a begrudgingly am okay with rebuying some old games yet again if it means I don't need to as long as PS consoles and my PS account exists.

All I want is the PS1 version of Ape Escape and I won't put it past Sony to only put up the PSP version.
Nah Ape Escape 1 being released likely won't be an issue I can see them doing both the PSP remake and the PS1 classic.

The Japanese only Ape Escape games and/or Ape Escape Pumped and Primed and/or games were they had other publishers dub the game for other regions are what is iffy.

Will Sony bother to redub or dub/localize these games? I hope so, at least eventually.

Benzychenz

One Winged Slayer
Nov 1, 2017
Australia
Yup which is why a begrudgingly am okay with rebuying some old games yet again if it means I don't need to as long as PS consoles and my PS account exists.

Nah Ape Escape 1 being released likely won't be an issue I can see them doing both the PSP remake and the PS1 classic.

The Japanese only Ape Escape games and/or Ape Escape Pumped and Primed and/or games were they had other publishers dub the game for other regions are what is iffy.

Will Sony bother to redub or dub/localize these games? I hope so, at least eventually.
Eh, the PS1 version was never on PS3/Vita because of the PSP version, and I 100% will not be shocked if they just don't bother with it again.

Roronoa_Zoro

Jan 15, 2022
Pittsburgh
I like how we already assume that even PS6 won't be able to handle PS3 emulation (just joking as I assume that's part of the "etc."). We are gonna be in the Dune timeline and it will still be impossible to properly emulate PS3. Sony just needs to ask Kutaragi for the design already because clearly he snuck off with all the data

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
I like how we already assume that even PS6 won't be able to handle PS3 emulation (just joking as I assume that's part of the "etc."). We are gonna be in the Dune timeline and it will still be impossible to properly emulate PS3. Sony just needs to ask Kutaragi for the design already because clearly he snuck off with all the data
Well I hope they figure out PS3 emulation this gen and bring over tons of PS3 titles so that the PS6 gen will just have us continue that library forward to the PS6, 7, etc... and maybe even PC
Eh, the PS1 version was never on PS3/Vita because of the PSP version, and I 100% will not be shocked if they just don't bother with it again.
I hope current Sony is more retroactive in putting up everything then their PS3 era self.

Vito

One Winged Slayer - Formerly Undead Fantasy
Oct 25, 2017

Exactly. I don't mind buying them again if I will be able to play them on a PS console for decades to come.

timrtabor123

Feb 11, 2019
Honestly, with Retroacheivments being a thing and adding PS2 support likely sometime within the next 2 years I'd rather an official solution like this focus its economic resources on getting as many licenses as possible to have as much of the PS1/PS2/PSP library available to a general audience as possible over trophy support.

Gradon

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I hope current Sony is more retroactive in putting up everything then their PS3 era self.

Ape Escape 2 still doesn't work on PS5. 😭
I'm fully expecting nothing from Ape Escape to be on Premium. I will be over the moon if we get AE1 though. 3 is impossible due to the MGS stuff…

I would like to see Pumped & Primed and Million Monkeys too please.

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Ape Escape 2 still doesn't work on PS5. 😭
I'm fully expecting nothing from Ape Escape to be on Premium. I will be over the moon if we get AE1 though. 3 is impossible due to the MGS stuff…

I would like to see Pumped & Primed and Million Monkeys too please.
Yeah Ape Escape 2, Okage, and some other pS2 games have issues on PS5, I hope Sony fixes them and updates them before the service goes live. 😭

Benzychenz

One Winged Slayer
Nov 1, 2017
Australia
Yeah Ape Escape 2, Okage, and some other pS2 games have issues on PS5, I hope Sony fixes them and updates them before the service goes live. 😭
Oh Okage has issues too? I bought that on sale years ago but never got around to it. Gonna have to plug the PS4 back in when I get around to it.
Think I have Dark Cloud 2 and Rogue Galaxy to get to too.

If these are on the service I imagine they won't have trophies included and the PS4 editions will be unique in that respect.

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Oh Okage has issues too? I bought that on sale years ago but never got around to it. Gonna have to plug the PS4 back in when I get around to it.
Think I have Dark Cloud 2 and Rogue Galaxy to get to too.

If these are on the service I imagine they won't have trophies included and the PS4 editions will be unique in that respect.
Dark Cloud 2 is fine, I am playing it now with maybe having slight tearing during the circus but all in all fine.

Okage though had issues.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Ridge Racers 2

oh shit please be available in Europe… we never got it on PSP originally..

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
I think this our last best chance to get decent versions of the classic silent hill games

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
I think this our last best chance to get decent versions of the classic silent hill games

By far the thing I want to see the most, though who knows if Konami gives enough of a shit to sign off on them for the service. At least MGS4 was on PSNOW long enough so that gives me some hope. Yes I know that's supposedly leaving but fingers crossed that's more a licensing thing pending renewal for the new service launch.