Tribal24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder post launch how many titles will they continue to add each month? Would it follow a consistent pacing or will it be irregular?

This is the big question. If they can consistently put out 10 games each month combined PS1,PS2, and PSP games I think it would be fine. If we get around 50 classic titles at launch.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
I wonder post launch how many titles will they continue to add each month? Would it follow a consistent pacing or will it be irregular?
going by their wording i wouldnt expect monthly refreshes to the classic lineup, they do commit to it for the extra tier games but not for classics. This doesnt mean the lineup wont be updated at all, but it doesnt seem like it'll be on a regular updating basis.

double_heist

Nov 19, 2019
Legend of Dragoon
Legend of Legaia
Jade Cocoon
Wild ARMs 1 + 2
Alundra
Tomba!

Pls

I'm not hoping for Xenogears and Parasite Eve, they have a better chance of getting remastered the way SE is going nowadays.

Deleted member 81119

User-requested account closure
Banned
Sep 19, 2020
These are my (semi-realistic) hopes

Ridge Racer Type 4
Driver
Destruction Derby 2
Grand Theft Auto
Wipeout 2097 (might be tough with soundtrack licensing)
Tekken 2

And then my not completely unrealistic but also maybe unlikely hopes are:
Resident Evil 1-3
Wip3out
Tomb Raider 1-5
Dissidia Duodecim
Vagrant Story

I would actually rather have an MGS1 remaster than a PS1 Classic but if that showed up I'd take it.

Ps now had new games every month, so id guess we'll get a few PS4/PS5 games a month and a handful of retro per system ( or at least a handful of psp and ps1 games)
They have new titles added to PS Now but not entirely new releases every month. I'd expect new retro games to be released to a similar speed as NSO. We've not even got confirmation that they'll keep adding titles after launch although I really hope they do.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
I would think they would do better than Nintendo (but that is not saying much), but if their plan is to add content consistently to carry subs then if they have huge drops out of the gate they will probably run out of stuff worth playing a year or two down the line.

Of course, the ps2 library alone is incredibly expansive, but We don't really know how commuted Sony are to getting more niche games.

Deleted member 81119

Banned
Sep 19, 2020
It just occurred to me that the games we're seeing here are likely a sign of which third parties are playing ball in terms of PS Classics.

We have 3 Namco games here, Sony first party of course, and Worms is Team 17 I think?

I doubt it's a coincidence that neither of those companies typically go big on remasters, although we did get a Mr Driller 3 remaster recently.

It'd be interesting to see what other Namco titles we might see, and which other third parties would play ball.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017

Fafalada

Oct 27, 2017
When they switched to pure software emulation with the PS3 they introduced remappable controls, but there was no support for any form of texture filtering.
True - always wondered if the compatibility issues it had on PS2 permanently dissuaded them from offering the option again :/
Though it's weird as they aren't shy about options that don't always work from PS4 onwards.

Oh look, I don't think it's likely, but if they bump the resolution some form of perspective correction should follow because the aesthetic really falls apart above 240p when you have the waterbed polygons wobbling everywhere. Being able to disable dithering as well would go a long way (although it does break the visuals in some games).
The tricky thing is there's so many opinions on this. I agree the precision enhancing options on PS1 are nice (perspective correction and subpixel rasterization both) but I've seen purists who swear by that not being 'the PS1 look' anymore :/
My personal preferred look is with those options enabled but keeping resolution relatively low with ultra high AA instead. It stays closer to original visuals but without all the artifacts. Don't have high hopes we'll get that level of flexibility though.

To be honest I'm more interested in PSP and especially PS2 games uprezzed to 4k, they hold up better if they keep the rendering accurate (sadly PPSSPP is badly broken in a lot of games, and PCSX2 even more so).

ciddative

Apr 5, 2018
Man Tekken 2 was so frickin amazing. I prefer it to 3 I think, but then again I prefer streets of rage 1 to 2 as well

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
This is the big question. If they can consistently put out 10 games each month combined PS1,PS2, and PSP games I think it would be fine. If we get around 50 classic titles at launch.

Thought they said they were launching with over 100 classics but maybe I'm mistaken. But I wouldnt expect 10 new games every month maybe more like 4-6 for now. I think itll be several months until PS2/PS3 games are more regularly added.

kc44135

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
People presumed the same with PS4 BC on PS5 if anyone remembers the wild interpretations around the "100 games" thing and it turned out to be a really great implementation that people were mostly happy with. This service bringing back PS1 and PSP games certainly wasn't an expectation either so maybe they've actually had a change of heart on the importance of old games and collections in the past few years.
Hmm... you're right on both counts, yeah. I just got my PS5, and BC is indeed handled really well, and yeah, if you'd asked me before this service was announced if we'd ever get PS1 or PSP games on PS4/5, I'd have honestly said no. I know there was that announcement of a "preservation" team for Sony as well, which probably bodes well too. This is honestly something important to me, and something that I really want to see Sony do well, and perhaps I have been too pessimistic on this. I'll still keep expectations in check until we know more, but I think I'm maybe a little more hopeful now. Thank you. :)

Deleted member 81119

Banned
Sep 19, 2020
Do we think we might get some Wipeout games? I'm not familiar with potential licensing issues but I'd love the PS1 games. I'd take the PSP games though.

mpx

Apr 26, 2022
Is there chance for Tomba / Tombi ?

I want to play legit version, but disc version for PlayStation is expensive :(

kc44135

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Just like with NSO you are probably going to get a number of titles omitted from third party partners who might want to repackage/re-sell those as remasters/bundles/ports ect...
I'm pretty sure Capcom, for whatever reason, doesn't want to do this, honestly. They already would have if it was something they were interested in, so I'd say this program is probably the only shot these games have at an official re-release.

Oct 30, 2017
Hope they are emulated to HD and not the regular resolution like they were on PS3.

Also, let me buy them separately.

Xenosaga trilogy - Xengears - All of the Wild Arms games and about freaking time Star Ocean 2.

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
Hope alot of these games get the Ace Combat 5 approach!

I still don't know how that game was developed. Did Namco do it? How did they do it. Because it looks GREAT!

Also I would HOPE the game will be part of the list, since many couldn't get it early on when you had to preorder Ace Combat 7 just to get it.

Brunire

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Hope they are emulated to HD and not the regular resolution like they were on PS3.

Also, let me buy them separately.

Xenosaga trilogy - Xengears - All of the Wild Arms games and about freaking time Star Ocean 2.
Star Ocean 2 would be awesome since it seems maybe they decided against remastering it for current consoles.

Deleted member 81119

Banned
Sep 19, 2020
I don't think we'll get PS1 Classics for SE games but honestly we already have PS1 Classics for FFVII, VIII, IX, Legend of Mana, Saga Frontier and Chrono Cross. I'm sure others like FFT will come in time. No need to hold them back for this PS1 Classics line of games. This should be for Sony First Party and games that wouldn't otherwise get remasters.

Deleted member 12867

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think we'll get PS1 Classics for SE games but honestly we already have PS1 Classics for FFVII, VIII, IX, Legend of Mana, Saga Frontier and Chrono Cross. I'm sure others like FFT will come in time. No need to hold them back for this PS1 Classics line of games. This should be for Sony First Party and games that wouldn't otherwise get remasters.
It would be cool if they also allowed third parties to sell their games outside the sub as well. Would probably get more games in the end. Like it shouldn't be mandatory to be part of the sub.

Oct 30, 2017
Star Ocean 2 would be awesome since it seems maybe they decided against remastering it for current consoles.
The Remastered version of SO2 was released on PS4 PSN JP way back in 2015...

I can never understand why they went ahead then and Remastered and released SO1 for all regions while they skipped the best one in the franchise :\

Tttssd1972

May 24, 2019
Just like with NSO you are probably going to get a number of titles omitted from third party partners who might want to repackage/re-sell those as remasters/bundles/ports ect...
Yeaaaaa but honestly I feel like if Capcom wanted to do that they would of already, and for…. Reasons… they haven't…. Which given the demand is pretty weird to me. This could be one of the only chances people have to get these on Modern Consoles

JohnnyToonami

Dec 16, 2018
Earth
Yeaaaaa but honestly I feel like if Capcom wanted to do that they would of already, and for…. Reasons… they haven't…. Which given the demand is pretty weird to me. This could be one of the only chances people have to get these on Modern Consoles
It is. If they don't show up on this in the first year than I have no faith in seeing them released again.

Kresnik

Oct 26, 2017
The original was on PSN on PS3, but 2097 and Wip3out never was. I imagine the licensed music in those games makes it very unlikely.

It was always a massive disappointment for me that we never got 2097 or 3 on PSN. Would've loved them on Vita. The original is cool, but 2097 improved on it in basically every way.

Listai

50¢ - "This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
The tricky thing is there's so many opinions on this. I agree the precision enhancing options on PS1 are nice (perspective correction and subpixel rasterization both) but I've seen purists who swear by that not being 'the PS1 look' anymore :/
My personal preferred look is with those options enabled but keeping resolution relatively low with ultra high AA instead. It stays closer to original visuals but without all the artifacts. Don't have high hopes we'll get that level of flexibility though.

Yeah, I suppose I'm eager for these kinds of options because I still have a PS1 hooked up to a CRT. If I'm going to play them on a flat panel I'd like some additional rendering options, otherwise I'll just stick with the real deal. I've seen people downsampling for higher resolutions to 240p as a kind of brute force anti-aliasing combined with perspective correction that I think looks great.[/quote]

To be honest I'm more interested in PSP and especially PS2 games uprezzed to 4k, they hold up better if they keep the rendering accurate (sadly PPSSPP is badly broken in a lot of games, and PCSX2 even more so).

Yeah PS2 emulation has been in a pretty dire state for years now, admittedly I haven't checked in on it in a few years but PCSX2 was a very hacky emulator that was overly focused on performance hacks at the expense of emulation accuracy. As for PSP I have no experience, but if they do go that route they really need to disable the dithering because on PSTV full screen dithering looks horrendous.

Desma

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly? I'd prefer if the games were rendered at 240p/480i.

I really don't like the look of these games with increased resolution

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
PS Classic was a bleh device but here was the list of games on it
blog.playstation.com

Announcing PlayStation Classic’s Full Lineup of 20 Games

Metal Gear Solid, Cool Boarders 2, Twisted Metal, Grand Theft Auto, Resident Evil Director’s Cut, Rayman and more legendary games will come pre-loaded on PS Classic.
  • Battle Arena Toshinden
  • Cool Boarders 2
  • Destruction Derby
  • Final Fantasy VII
  • Grand Theft Auto
  • Intelligent Qube
  • Jumping Flash
  • Metal Gear Solid
  • Mr Driller
  • Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee
  • Rayman
  • Resident Evil Director's Cut
  • Revelations: Persona
  • Ridge Racer Type 4
  • Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo
  • Syphon Filter
  • Tekken 3
  • Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six
  • Twisted Metal
  • Wild Arms
This was back around 2018 so it makes me wonder if Tekken 3 does indeed have a chance of appearing on PS + Premium

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
With the confirmation of Ridge Racers 2, I really hope this means we could see imports of titles that never came to the US. I went on a spending spree on the Japanese PS3 PSN for PS1 titles when it was originally going to close.

Imagine if stuff like LSD made it over.

Desma

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
With the confirmation of Ridge Racers 2, I really hope this means we could see imports of titles that never came to the US. I went on a spending spree on the Japanese PS3 PSN for PS1 titles when it was originally going to close.

Imagine if stuff like LSD made it over.
LSD with Trophy support hmmm