sprsk

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Narduar would literally hand Light an apple and be like "Do you know whose apple this is?"
And then he'd hand him the actual Death Note

harleyvwarren

Oct 31, 2022
Illinois
What about the Drew Crew?

What about Castle and Beckett?

What about Reno Raines (Renegade)? Yes, yes, he's a bounty hunter but...could Lorenzo Lamas catch Kira?

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Angel would figure out the death note, solve the case, and would survive because he's already dead.

Oct 29, 2017
Charlie from Always Sunny gets a page somehow, spends the entire episode almost killing everyone by mistake but nobody dies thanks to his severe dyslexia.

Crushed

Oct 25, 2017
light spends an entire week trying to find columbo's wife so he can get some information out of her. he slowly goes insane as he cannot find her but there's plenty of evidence that she exists. ryuk will not say a thing but keeps chuckling knowingly

Bernkastel

Teyvat Traveler
The Fallen
Jan 15, 2018
Brazil
ayo-ayo-what-the-fuck.gif

My boy Battler would solve the Kira case.

Rutger

Oct 25, 2017

SquirrelSr

Oct 26, 2017
Considering Phoenix Wright is surrounded by supernatural stuff, he'd probably figure out how it worked eventually with his signature bullshiting technique.

lokiduck

The Fallen
Mar 27, 2019
Washington
Charlie from Always Sunny gets a page somehow, spends the entire episode almost killing everyone by mistake but nobody dies thanks to his severe dyslexia.

light spends an entire week trying to find columbo's wife so he can get some information out of her. he slowly goes insane as he cannot find her but there's plenty of evidence that she exists. ryuk will not say a thing but keeps chuckling knowingly
More masterpieces to this thread :kanna:

Jonathan Lanza

"I've made a Gigantic mistake"
Feb 8, 2019
ive never seen death note

can someone explain to me why this is apparently so hard to intuit
Criminals are dying off worldwide at an unprecedented rate, often with very similar causes of death (heart attacks). The weapon being used is a magical notebook that kills anyone whose name is written in it so long as the writer has their face in mind. 40 seconds later the person dies by the specified method, if no method is specified then they die of a heart attack.

While it would be pretty clear that the deaths aren't a coincidence and you could probably figure out that the people dying all have their identities broadcasted, it would take a lot for most people to make the leap that this is the work of a supernatural weapon and not some sort of other scientific method.

Rutger

Oct 25, 2017
While it would be pretty clear that the deaths aren't a coincidence and you could probably figure out that the people dying all have their identities broadcasted, it would take a lot for most people to make the leap that this is the work of a supernatural weapon and not some sort of other scientific method.

Yeah, this will be the main problem for most detectives.

Light himself isn't too hard to figure out, his ego gets the better of him fast and consistently, it's just the supernatural element will be outside what many are used to.

harleyvwarren

Oct 31, 2022
Illinois
I agree that Gus is unkillable thanks to Shawn, because Kira wastes pages writing down (my favorite ones anyway) names like:

Lavendar Gooms
Big Baby Burton
Bighead Burton
Homeskillet
Gus T.T. Showbiz
Ovaltine Jenkins
Tan
Hummingbird Saltalamacchia
The Jackal (You heard about Pluto? That's messed up.)

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I agree that Gus is unkillable thanks to Shawn, because Kira wastes pages writing down (my favorite ones anyway) names like:

Lavendar Gooms
Big Baby Burton
Bighead Burton
Homeskillet
Gus T.T. Showbiz
Ovaltine Jenkins
Tan
Hummingbird Saltalamacchia
The Jackal (You heard about Pluto? That's messed up.)

Shawn also gets two free lives because Light spells his name as "Sean Spencer" and "Shaun Spencer" and kills two random people by mistake.

Crushed

Oct 25, 2017
Lack of Zenigata saddens me.

Lupin would issue a public challenge to Kira that he can steal his unknown killing weapon. Light would try and fail to kill Lupin by writing "Arsène Lupin III" and become frustrated as he doesn't know whether the first name is wrong or if Lupin really has been hiding his real face under a mask the whole time. Zenigata would try and interfere out of personal pride that Lupin might be killed by a common murderer. Lupin would suss out clues about Kira by using body doubles, masks, and fake names to determine how the Death Note works.

Eventually Light would threaten Fujiko and Jigen in order to manipulate Lupin into giving himself up to him, but then Light would realize their names aren't real either; next tries to kill Goemon, but is frustrated by his full name having an bizarre archaic kanji spelling. He ends up settling on threatening the life of Zenigata himself, who has managed to work out all of the same things about Kira that Lupin has, purely so he can catch Lupin (he doesn't care about Kira at all). Lupin would spring into action with a plan to give himself up and fake his own death with a drug while wearing a phony "real face" mask. The entire thing would be a trap that's an even more elaborate version of the L. Lind Taylor trick that allows Lupin's friends to find Light and corner him.

A grieving Zenigata would be shocked as the dead Lupin suddenly wakes up and runs away, and Lupin would lead Zenigata into crashing through Light's ceiling right on top the Death Note, which allows Zenigata to see Ryuk and arrest Light immediately while Lupin escapes. Zenigata sees a rule in the Death Note that its powers are negated if the owner is captured by the law, and the case is closed. It cuts to Lupin and the gang driving away, as Lupin pulls out the real Death Note... and remarks that it's not his style as he burns it up with a lighter.

DevilPuncher

"This guy are sick" and Aggressively Mediocre
Oct 25, 2017
I NEED to see a Death Note x Columbo crossover.

"Oh, and Mr. Yagami, just one more thing…"

pants

Shinra Employee
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
This was a lot of fun to lend brain space to for a hot second; love Columbo's lasting appeal.

Voror

Oct 25, 2017
This actually got me to look up and watch Columbo for the first time. Been enjoying it so far!

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
I like the idea that the absurd chain of slapstick events that happens to Nordberg at the beginning of the first naked gun film, could be written into the death note as his actions before the heart attack, just imagining Light jotting down "and then he puts his hand on WET PAINT!"
Later Light makes the mistake of writing Enrico Pallazzo into the death note and wondering why Drebin wont die

"We've got a killer on the loose Frank, striking fear in the city, killing people in prison and we don't have anything to go on." "When do the new toilets arrive?" "Not until next week."

"What have you got for us Ted?"
"Just a second chief, before Ted starts, have you got a pen?"
"oh, here you go Frank"
*Drebin starts scrawling on a piece of paper*
"well we managed to find a scrap of evidence, a mysterious page with one of the recent victim's name on it, this could be the break we've been looking for, now where did I put that, it was right here on the evidence table..."
"Oh sorry Ted, I just had to quickly note down which members of the department had a birthday this month on this scrap paper before I forget, you know how I am at remembering things, fortunately I can recall their faces clearly in my mind, like Officer Edmond Knox..."
*man in the background suddenly dies of a heart attack*
"and Bill Anderson"
*Another man goes down clutching their chest*
And who could forget the pride of the team, Grant Nowles"
*a third man in the background stands terrified...only for a few seconds to pass with nothing bad happening*
"Frank, you made a mistake there, it's spelt Knowles like this...."
*third man collapses*
"Thanks Ed, I've got a great gift idea to celebrate the birth of his son..."

Reym

Jul 15, 2019
Lupin would issue a public challenge to Kira that he can steal his unknown killing weapon. Light would try and fail to kill Lupin by writing "Arsène Lupin III" and become frustrated as he doesn't know whether the first name is wrong or if Lupin really has been hiding his real face under a mask the whole time. Zenigata would try and interfere out of personal pride that Lupin might be killed by a common murderer. Lupin would suss out clues about Kira by using body doubles, masks, and fake names to determine how the Death Note works.

Eventually Light would threaten Fujiko and Jigen in order to manipulate Lupin into giving himself up to him, but then Light would realize their names aren't real either; next tries to kill Goemon, but is frustrated by his full name having an bizarre archaic kanji spelling. He ends up settling on threatening the life of Zenigata himself, who has managed to work out all of the same things about Kira that Lupin has, purely so he can catch Lupin (he doesn't care about Kira at all). Lupin would spring into action with a plan to give himself up and fake his own death with a drug while wearing a phony "real face" mask. The entire thing would be a trap that's an even more elaborate version of the L. Lind Taylor trick that allows Lupin's friends to find Light and corner him.

A grieving Zenigata would be shocked as the dead Lupin suddenly wakes up and runs away, and Lupin would lead Zenigata into crashing through Light's ceiling right on top the Death Note, which allows Zenigata to see Ryuk and arrest Light immediately while Lupin escapes. Zenigata sees a rule in the Death Note that its powers are negated if the owner is captured by the law, and the case is closed. It cuts to Lupin and the gang driving away, as Lupin pulls out the real Death Note... and remarks that it's not his style as he burns it up with a lighter.

This is perfection. To the extent that I could pretty much see the episode playing out in my head.
You are the champion and I leave satisfied,

makonero

Oct 27, 2017
My wife always puts on CSI (the original series) so I started wondering how they would all approach it. Grissom would be the only one open minded enough to guess at the Death Note.

Shemhazai

Aug 13, 2020
New challengers (because I can't see them if they're on the grid, though they may be on there and I'm just tired):

Jake Peralta - I think top left. He'd intuit the mechanics, realise it's dumb but go ahead with it anyway out of competition with Amy or Rosa to prove that there actually is a kid with a magic diary killing criminals. He would then be utterly shocked when he's right.

Lucifer - Top left quadrant easy. Probably already aware of the existence of Death Notes.

Luthor - I reckon he ends up bottom right. Gets on Light's case but dies before figuring it out properly.

grand

Oct 25, 2017
Edgeworth would be killed like immediately if he tries to get in on the case. Like, intellectually he could pin Light, and he could intuit the Death Note. But as we see especially in the Investigations games, he has zero fucking chill. He will waltz on to a crime scene and yell at people until he solves the case. He's deader than dead
Edgeworth would probably be killed even before he takes the case. He's a very famous and infamous Chief Prosecutor. He's 100% the type of person that Light would kill to satisfy his god complex & warped morals. Especially the second Edgeworth got involved.

That's probably how Phoenix & co get involved. Edgeworth is murdered and they have to solve the case. The only issue is that there would need to be some kind of bullshit to stop Light from using the Death Note. Like the magatama blocks the Death Note but only for exactly the same 3 days as a court trial lol

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Edgeworth would probably be killed even before he takes the case. He's a very famous and infamous Chief Prosecutor. He's 100% the type of person that Light would kill to satisfy his god complex & warped morals. Especially the second Edgeworth got involved.

That's probably how Phoenix & co get involved. Edgeworth is murdered and they have to solve the case. The only issue is that there would need to be some kind of bullshit to stop Light from using the Death Note. Like the magatama blocks the Death Note but only for exactly the same 3 days as a court trial lol

Ryuk is absolutely TERRIFIED of people from Kurain and warns Maya as soon as Light starts investigating them. He just happens to be a dick about it and won't tell her Light's name.

Metal Gear?!

Jun 26, 2020
I have a couple questions.

1. Would CW Nancy Drew have a better chance due to dealing with supernatural beings?

2. How would the Winchesters handle this?
1. Nancy Drew could intuit the Death Note but not solve the case

2. The Winchesters would be able to see Ryuk, kill him, and burn the Death Note and it would be over in 40 minutes.

There aint no way the scooby gang is solving the Kira Case.
Scooby would be able to see Ryuk and tell the gang about him, and no one knows their full names so they would be safe

grand

Oct 25, 2017
Ryuk is absolutely TERRIFIED of people from Kurain and warns Maya as soon as Light starts investigating them. He just happens to be a dick about it and won't tell her Light's name.
"Listen Light, I hate Kurain. I'll let you use the death note again, but only after you avoid a guilty verdict for 3 days"

Light: "3 days? That'll be child's play"

"Yeah, just be happy I'm giving you a handicap and not giving the other guy 7 years. Because oh boy"

Light: "what?"

Jive Turkey

Oct 25, 2017
My rule for Shawn is that he would either irritate Light enough into killing him within two minutes of the start of the episode or run absolute circles around him and trick Light into killing himself. Those are the two options, with zero middle ground. Shawn would spend the whole episode pretending to be Light's best friend while dragging Gus along with both of them to "investigate" the case, slowly gaslighting Light until he loses his cool completely.
I see no flaw in this assessment.
What about Jessica Fletcher?

wait

oh god

JESSICA FLETCHER HAS HER OWN DEATH NOTE

IT ALL MAKES SENSE
We all thought the opening credits were a fun peek at an author writing light mystery novels. Turns out, we were actually watching her commit mass murder.

Kopite

Oct 28, 2017
Hank would be able to solve it. He had someone sabotaging his investigation throughout in BB, and would've figured it out much earlier if the saboteur wasn't a blind spot, Light wouldn't be that for him.

Apollo

Corrupted by Vengeance
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

The three day trials is probably the biggest point against Phoenix- it's must not a lot of time for him to put together a case like this, and Phoenix isn't even going to tackle this case unless he's defending someone, he doesn't detective things for the heck of it. Once he is in the case he probably figures out it's Light very quickly- dude is a walking Psyche-Lock.

How efficiently he leverages Spirit Channeling could be a huge cheat code for him though- if he can get Maya or Pearl to start channeling people who don't fix the mold of Light's usual victims- those killed because they were threats to Light? He might just pull it off then.

If he does manage to go into court with most of the answers, and manages to drag Light to the stand, he probably has things on lock at that point, because, tale as old as time, Phoenix is unassuming enough and Light is arrogant enough that Light probably won't realize Phoenix is on to him until he's on the stand- at which point he has no opportunity to write his name in the Death Note unsupervised.

Pressure mounts until Light incriminates himself utterly. Cue breakdown scene where a maddened, exposed Light tries desperately to write Phoenix's name into his Death Note, witnesses be damned, but with such nervous force that the lead on his mechanical pencil keeps breaking as soon as he puts it to paper, Light growing increasingly frustrated until finally- he writes it down…. And nothing happens. He misspelled it "Phoenix Right". He passes out from the shock of hearing the judge swing his gavel, which to him sounds as loud as a thunderstrike.

SlasherMcGirk

Oct 27, 2017
Cincinnati
Angel would figure out the death note, solve the case, and would survive because he's already dead.
Angel has a name and Light could easily come up with a varity of ways to kill a vampire stake, beheading, fire ect not seeing this angle.

Considering Phoenix Wright is surrounded by supernatural stuff, he'd probably figure out how it worked eventually with his signature bullshiting technique.
Wright: Light, do you know anything about the Kira case?
Light: No.

*Giant Pyshcelock appears

Light: (Shit he's on to me, I'll just write his name and tell to just go jump off a bridge)

Phoenix Wright survies with a minor cold