Atolm

Oct 25, 2017
They're very different games if you know what to look for though gameplay wise too. Lars for example is very different.

How would Tekken need to "shake up" to attract casuals? Turn into a Battle Royale?

They tried with Tekken 4 and it failed, since then the franchise has been fairly conservative. Which is ok, but in the long run it means you won't attract new players.

MimosaSTG

Jun 7, 2022
Tekken 7 and Soul Calibur VI actual increased the character model details with DLC characters. Look at vanilla characters compared to their DLC counterparts:

These are screenshots I took from the PC version.
Mitsurugi vs. Haohmaru
49718874442_ebcf0f29c1_h.jpg
49718874412_f2eefd8ed7_h.jpg

Kazuya vs Fahkumram
49718561391_756a05830d_h.jpg
49718022933_001f068a21_h.jpg

Fahk, Leeroy, and Lidia really feel like they were ported over from Tekken 8 development.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
In Tekken 8 threads I've noticed people referencing other people claiming Tekken 8 looks like Tekken 7, but it seemed more like a repeated meme, because at least on Era I didn't see anyone actually claiming the game looks like Tekken 7. ;)
What I have seen being mentioned, and what I think is fair to point out, is that the game, while looking very good most of the time, can also look less great in certain areas.
The darker lit stages definitely look better than the brightly lit stages. You notice lower polygon assets and lower res textures much easier.
Some of the stage effects also look dated, like the water in the newly revealed forest stage. There don't seem to be much or any water physics going on, just textures simulating moving water when characters step or fall in it, environment reflections also seem to be mostly missing.
Yeah, while Tekken 8 is definitely a big and full step up from Tekken 7, they obviously redid the entire lighting system and all assets from scratch, it maybe doesn't look as amazing as some people had hoped a fighter of the PS5 era and in UE5 would look like.
Let's wait for more 3D fighters and what they can visually do. Tekken games are usually not the ultimate fighter/3D fighter graphics bar.

Tekken 7 and Soul Calibur VI actual increased the character model details with DLC characters. Look at vanilla characters compared to their DLC counterparts:

These are screenshots I took from the PC version.
Mitsurugi vs. Haohmaru
49718874442_ebcf0f29c1_h.jpg
49718874412_f2eefd8ed7_h.jpg

Kazuya vs Fahkumram
49718561391_756a05830d_h.jpg
49718022933_001f068a21_h.jpg

Fahk, Leeroy, and Lidia really feel like they were ported over from Tekken 8 development.

I don't know how it was in Tekken 7, but I know that Soul Calibur 6 outright reused SoulCalibur 4 assets, like character base models and customized clothing. Those were at the point of SC6 already about 10 years old.
Back then that was very disappointing to me, because I always expect a lot of Soulcaliburs visually.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Is it me or has that been a thing on ERA lately
"Its not a new game its just God of war/ Horizon/Breath of the wild/Splatoon x.5!!!"

secretanchitman

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
Unsure if it was compression but I remember the second or third trailer (the one where a few characters were revealed like Paul, Law, etc) that somehow didn't look good to me but every trailer since does.

T8 looks awesome and is a huge upgrade from T7 but it's clearly in an alpha state with a lot more polish and progress left to go.

Patate

Oct 15, 2022
I guess I gotta have to look at actual videos because most if not all of the screenshot comparisons I've seen between Tekken 8 and Tekken 7 running on PC at 4K maxed out settings do not play into Tekken 8's favor all that much. I mean, comments such as "don't pick women, they look like porcelaine" do not help anyone's case. If they look like porcelaine in both titles, then why not? Because you want to focus on a single aspect to make your case?

Just so we're clear. Not saying T8 isn't a great step ahead over T7. But right now I haven't see a screenshot comparison making me think that. So, like I said, I'll go watch some videos. Perhaps this will be more obvious.

Jakartalado

Oct 27, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
A few said that 7 was 6.5 when it got announced/launched (specially because it was 720p somewhere and 1080p on premium consoles)

So if 8 is 7.5, doesn't that make 8 a 6.75 out of 8?

Because that's exactly 7.5 (out of 10)

Kahhhhyle

Jun 8, 2021
X game looks like dlc of last game in series is just sort of the new brain dead take that happens these days. Just have a poke around in the Tears of the Kingdom thread if you want more.

It happened with Zelda, GoW Ragnarok, Splatoon 3, and it'll continue to happen as long as the internet exists and new fames are announced

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
X game looks like dlc of last game in series is just sort of the new brain dead take that happens these days. Just have a poke around in the Tears of the Kingdom thread if you want more.

It happened with Zelda, GoW Ragnarok, Splatoon 3, and it'll continue to happen as long as the internet exists and new fames are announced
At least with Splatoon 3, the 2.5 allegations were less avoidable since there are typically less massive changes to the gameplay between games. Not to mention that Splatoon 3 was on the same system as 2. With Zelda, that's more of an issue of Nintendo not showing all that much about TotK (unless you pay attention to the art book leaks) until very recently.

I'm not trying to say that iterative sequels are a bad thing (hell, Smash Ultimate is an iterative sequel to Smash Wii U), but rather that there's unfortunately going to be push back from a loud subset of people.

Oct 27, 2017
It is because The Game Awards trailer was a massive step down from the reveal. But more recent character reveal trailers look just as good if not better than the reveal trailer.

Michael Murray also acknowledged that characters do not yet look as good as they could be on certain stages and they're still unhappy with the graphics. This is true because the Times Square stage stands out well above and beyond every other stage shown so far.

crimsonECHIDNA

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Gatorland
It's a tale as old as time. Street Fighter IV to V. Just last year there were still people saying KOF XV wasn't that much of a visual upgrade from XIV.

EvnDvG4VkAE9eUi.jpg

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
As long as load times are lightning fast and stages are interesting, I'm ok with that. It definitely looks better than 7 but expectations were set by the reveal trailer.
Rematches are instant based on the alpha footage, but the initial loading still takes a bit too long for current-gen. But Bamco still has another year or so to work on the game, so I won't harp on them too much right now.

mentallyinept

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
T8 is a huge leap visually.

I'm sure people with super high-end PCs notice less of a difference due to them running with insane resolutions and texture qualities, but for anyone on console, it's a clear generational leap in fidelity.

Now... if you want to talk animations... I'm seeing a much smaller leap from T7 in that regard.

Kahhhhyle

Jun 8, 2021
At least with Splatoon 3, the 2.5 allegations were less avoidable since there are typically less massive changes to the gameplay between games. Not to mention that Splatoon 3 was on the same system as 2. With Zelda, that's more of an issue of Nintendo not showing all that much about TotK (unless you pay attention to the art book leaks) until very recently.

I'm not trying to say that iterative sequels are a bad thing (hell, Smash Ultimate is an iterative sequel to Smash Wii U), but rather that there's unfortunately going to be push back from a loud subset of people.
Sure. But when people point out the differences to the loud subset and they put their hands over their ears and sing dlc they earn the brain dead part of my first post lol.

Like I know from your posts you follow Smash. Is there any ground to the idea that Ultimate is Smash for Wii U/3DS and a half? They play vastly differently, but saying that to the all-switch-games-are-Wii-U-ports crowd is like talking to a brick wall lol

Oct 27, 2017
Some people are also watching trailers on their mobile devices where the game's full visual fidelity is not really captured. The youtube compression is terrible on mobile and it really doesnt look like much of an upgrade but then I watch on my oled laptop and it is easy to tell the difference is night and day.

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Sure. But when people point out the differences to the loud subset and they put their hands over their ears and sing dlc they earn the brain dead part of my first post lol.

Like I know from your posts you follow Smash. Is there any ground to the idea that Ultimate is Smash for Wii U/3DS and a half? They play vastly differently, but saying that to the all-switch-games-are-Wii-U-ports crowd is like talking to a brick wall lol
Ultimate was very clearly built off the foundation of Wii U, Sakurai even said as much when he mentioned the two games as being one continuous stream of development. But even then, every Smash game reuses a lot of assets from the previous game. So in reality, characters like Mario have animation assets that can be traced as far back as Melee. But like I said, that's not a bad thing.

Deleted member 6263

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just watching a video comparing Law in Tekken 8 vs 7, it's astounding the difference.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6j1BEga_BIM&feature=youtu.be

- YouTube

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_JV7fULOo0&t=18s

- YouTube

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

lucebuce

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Pakistan
Street Fighter V is just Street Fighter 4 with more shadows.

Tekken 8 is just Tekken 7 with more shadows.

King of Fighters XV is just King of Fighters XIV with more shadows.

XrossExam

Nov 1, 2017
I still think Tekken 7 looks great on PC in high resolutions but it's clear that Tekken 8 has more of that "next-gen" wow factor. People need to stop judging a game by just YouTube videos as well, even with 4K videos there is compression on YouTube so you won't really know how crispy the game can look until it's actually running on your PC or console.

TheWildCard

Jun 6, 2020
It's a pretty noticeable upgrade so I don't get it, though maybe between diminishing returns and video compressions of initial reveals loses a lot of detail in video compression.

Granted Tekken always reuses a lot of animations but they've shown off enough new stuff so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Vault

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
The awful art direction is my biggest problem with it

graphics are a big step up from 7

Derbel McDillet

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 23, 2022

Vastly is a stretch.

But this does seem like an overreaction to what is mostly like instant visual impressions. If it wasn't for the tilted character portraits, people would reasonably not be able to tell the difference between Smash Wii U and Ultimate if you picked matching stages and characters.

Diminishing returns caught up to Smash and it's not like there was a huge hardware leap.

The people are in this thread are too invested. Whereas someone who isn't paying attention closely could genuinely make that mistake and we've seen it.

Oct 28, 2017
What I am most excited about is Tekken 7 was held back by console decisions.

My One X never saw an upgraded version of Tekken 7 to use the hardware, there was only a PS4 Pro upgrade. Ended up running it on my PC just to see it in true 4k.

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
I think when the art styles are similar, you can think that the differences aren't significant especially if you're watching Tekken 8 footage in less optimal settings like if you're seeing it on bad livestreams or Youtube uploads. Basically you are remembering how Tekken 7 looks at its best, directly from your TV/PC while seeing Tekken 8 footage at its worst.

Hero Prinny

Oct 25, 2017
Tekken 8 will be the inferior game and always will be until Lucky Chloe returns.

LUUUUUCKYYYYY CHLOEEE

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
Tekken 7 looked like garbage due to the chromatic aberration, so if T8 doesn't force it on, it will already be infinitely superior.

There's a special place in hell for fighting games that use chromatic aberration.

Nintenleo

Nov 9, 2017
Italy
Don't worry OP, I wasn't invited to the meeting, but it looks like last year we collectively decided that 2023 is the year of "glorified DLCs".

Tekken 8 looks amazing.

Ryuhza

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
Tekken 7 looked like garbage due to the chromatic aberration, so if T8 doesn't force it on, it will already be infinitely superior.

There's a special place in hell for fighting games that use chromatic aberration.

Word, it being used so strongly during rage arts is my least favorite part of each trailer. Really hope there are more settings for the console versions of the games. I wouldn't mind an optional per-object motion blur for the fighters, like Tekken 6 and Tag 2 had (and 7, but only on PC for some reason).

Moara

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
It's definitely a jump on a technical level. I still think it's pretty ugly though. Mostly due to the garish art direction and its blinding hit spark effects (that are also oddly low quality looking)

Karsha

May 1, 2020
Ofc 8 is better but you are forgeting that 7 was in development around the start of the pa4 life even though it came out in 2017 and it wasn't thos mindblowing update compared to tag 2. People are pissed off because while its marketed as the only next gen fighting so far, nothong that has been shown is above what the last year ps4 games where doing and considering that most likely we will have only one tekken for all the ps5 lifecycle, I can see people wanting a bit more. Just imagine the jump between Tekken 3 on ps1 and tag/4 on ps2 or tekken 5 on ps2 ans tekken 6 on the ps3. This isn't comparable to those milestones. In terms pf raw performance and technicality, ofc it looks better than the 7, I hope no one is arguing that

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017
There was no downgrade. The stage just had different lighting and effects.

When it comes the "visual" issues people have with Tekken 8, I wonder if it has more to do with image composition and lighting, rather than lack of detail?

It's what I've been saying for a while.
It's just the usual dark+rain+wet shaders making people go wow since GeOW.
I'm pretty sure if you were to analyse the models you'd find they're exactly the same, while the backdrop was actually a lot more basic than, say, Times Square.
I wouldn't call it a technical showpiece (Tekken hasn't been since early PS2 days) and I personally hate the art direction but I think it's mostly the lighting giving the whole thing a "last gen" feel and making characters look like they're detached from the backdrops, but that's by design, to improve readability.

Also, gameplay videos have had tons of particles and crap flying around, which take a huge toll on compression.

The Omega Man

Fallen Guardian
Oct 25, 2017
Tekken 7 to Tekken 8 might be the biggest leap graphically since Tekken 3 to TTT (PS2 version)