Cyborg009

Oct 28, 2017
What a crappy situation. I'm sorry about that.
Mind you, I'm not a psychological professional, but it honestly sounds like she doesn't want the help. Psychosis absolutely should receive help, but you can't force her to get treatment. Is she receiving therapy? It may warrant discussing any other treatments she might pursue, but she has to want to seek it.
Sorry for the late reply but thank you so much. That means a lot to me but right now as I write this post it seems like I might have to give her a ultimatum. She seemed really mad today for no reason and started talking about how she's being watched by cameras. I decided I wil leave the house until she decides to take her medicine. If she continues again I'll have to baker act her again...

OP
OP
Wandering Robot
Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans
Sorry for the late reply but thank you so much. That means a lot to me but right now as I write this post it seems like I might have to give her a ultimatum. She seemed really mad today for no reason and started talking about how she's being watched by cameras. I decided I wil leave the house until she decides to take her medicine. If she continues again I'll have to baker act her again...
It's my pleasure. :) It does seem as though there's going to have to be a hard conversation in the near future about it; lowering contact as you're doing now is not a bad idea, but you may have to set harder boundaries and expectations going forward. It might suck. From my completely exterior view, it might also be what communicates to her that she needs to stay on her meds.
Hoping for the best for all of you. 💜

Deleted member 4532

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People tie gaming to their identity and feel like when they beat a challenge, that was designed to be beaten, that they're tough shit and they see anything easier as a threat to them. It's a tribal mindset and they need to get over themselves.

Personally, I play a lot of games on easy nowadays because I just want to relax most of the time.

PK Gaming

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's been rough goings, but this was the year where I started to take medication for my OCD, and it's made a substantial difference on my life.

The biggest takeaway from the experience is you don't have to live with mental illness the way it is. No matter what you have, you can always improve your situation, even if it's marginal

OP
OP
Wandering Robot
Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans
It's been rough goings, but this was the year where I started to take medication for my OCD, and it's made a substantial difference on my life.

The biggest takeaway from the experience is you don't have to live with mental illness the way it is. No matter what you have, you can always improve your situation, even if it's marginal
I'm glad you've found a way to hit back on your mental illness. I've got to imagine OCD is particularly rough right now, at least for those whose OCD presents as fixated on cleanliness. Congrats! :)
...But getting help is often easier said than done. I wish improvements were easily reached for everyone.
Today is the last day!
Yep. I'll make a sort of "closing comments" post later and let the thread take its course.

EDIT: Ah, I didn't think about the date before posting, either lol. Probably will still make the threadmark, though.

Last edited:

Faith

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Hidden content
You need to reply to this thread in order to see this content.

PK Gaming

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad you've found a way to hit back on your mental illness. I've got to imagine OCD is particularly rough right now, at least for those whose OCD presents as fixated on cleanliness. Congrats! :)
...But getting help is often easier said than done. I wish improvements were easily reached for everyone.

Yep. I'll make a sort of "closing comments" post later and let the thread take its course.

Thanks

And yeah, a lot of OCD sufferers are struggling with intrusive thoughts and compulsions that are intensified under the pandemic. Cleanliness isn't actually all too common with OCD; it's usually relationship OCD, violent and sexual intrusive thoughts, etc. It's hard to get that stuff under control, but even worse when you're essentially trapped at home and unable to take your mind off that stuff

I'm lucky; I can work from home and have a solid support base. It's not a privilege everyone has, unfortunately

OP
OP
Wandering Robot
Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans
Recognizing it is the first step towards recovery, so good on you for already being past that point. You aren't past the point of no return, and you're worth progress. I hope you have some form of support system, by the way; if you don't, you have people here on Era rooting for you 💜
Thanks

And yeah, a lot of OCD sufferers are struggling with intrusive thoughts and compulsions that are intensified under the pandemic. Cleanliness isn't actually all too common with OCD; it's usually relationship OCD, violent and sexual intrusive thoughts, etc. It's hard to get that stuff under control, but even worse when you're essentially trapped at home and unable to take your mind off that stuff

I'm lucky; I can work from home and have a solid support base. It's not a privilege everyone has, unfortunately
You're welcome. :) I've been doing some reading on COVID-19's effect on various illnesses, OCD included, and it just sucks. I hope it does make people more aware, as this is essentially a shared grieving period, but it'd be naïve of me to think this is going to whip around public opinion at once.
Where did you learn that factoid, by the way, about it being less common? I've looked around and don't see anything that suggests it isn't a common subtype, and I want to be informed.
Hidden content
You need to reply to this thread in order to see this content.

PK Gaming

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Recognizing it is the first step towards recovery, so good on you for already being past that point. You aren't past the point of no return, and you're worth progress. I hope you have some form of support system, by the way; if you don't, you have people here on Era rooting for you 💜

You're welcome. :) I've been doing some reading on COVID-19's effect on various illnesses, OCD included, and it just sucks. I hope it does make people more aware, as this is essentially a shared grieving period, but it'd be naïve of me to think this is going to whip around public opinion at once.
Where did you learn that factoid, by the way, about it being less common? I've looked around and don't see anything that suggests it isn't a common subtype, and I want to be informed.
[Hidden content]

I don't have the source on hand, but obsession cleanliness is how most of society perceives OCD right? But it's not really any more common than the usual types.

A quick google search reveals the Checking is the most Common OCD type, which lines up with my own experiences and what I've seen online

OP
OP
Wandering Robot
Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans
I don't have the source on hand, but obsession cleanliness is how most of society perceives OCD right? But it's not really any more common than the usual types.

A quick google search reveals the Checking is the most Common OCD type, which lines up with my own experiences and what I've seen online
That's what I've read—that fixation on cleaning/contamination is one of the four major subtypes, but I didn't see any data on which is more frequent. Just that it's the most commonly seen/known, i.e. constantly stereotyped as loving cleaning and nary a mention of the other variations. :/ It doesn't matter more than the reality of the disease, though. I did see that article in my last search, but if nobody's reporting on specific percentages, ah well.

Hawkster

Alt account
Banned
Mar 23, 2019
So I'm not sure how to illustrate this correctly, but I kinda need to say it:

Is it fair to feel like I shouldn't deserve happiness or even turn my life around for the better while plenty of other people have it worse than me?

Probably not. But it kinda fucks me up when I feel that way sometimes, especially when I don't have a personal stake into their lives.

OP
OP
Wandering Robot
Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans
So I'm not sure how to illustrate this correctly, but I kinda need to say it:

Is it fair to feel like I shouldn't deserve happiness or even turn my life around for the better while plenty of other people have it worse than me?

Probably not. But it kinda fucks me up when I feel that way sometimes, especially when I don't have a personal stake into their lives.
That feeling of unworthiness you're describing is illustrated just about perfectly.
I think you're entitled to feel bad, but I don't think it's a healthy or even true sentiment. We need more people who are happy or were able to turn their lives around. One less person suffering is a win.

Some closing thoughts
OP
OP
Wandering Robot
Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans
As the month is comes to its end, I thought I'd leave a few words to bring this thread to a natural close.

All I really want to say is that, even as the Mental Health Awareness weeks/days in October lay in the future, I hope the forum remembers that there is no off time for those living with mental illness. Much like our heritage and pride months, the issues, as well as the struggle against stigma and discrimination, don't disappear just because the spotlight's moved on. It's not enough to feel bad when a celebrity dies by suicide or someone has a very public meltdown; as a society, and as a planet, we have to keep the conversation going for those who might not be able to speak for themselves.

We still have a Mental Health OT here on Era year-'round, people keep reaching out, and we should absolutely feel freer to discuss mental illness and its depictions outside those – and this – thread.

Tl;dr,

keep-talking-about-mental-health-9.png

Oh, and

Thanks to everyone who stopped by. May your mental health blossom and life be fulfilling. If you (yes, you) need someone to listen, feel free to drop me a PM anytime.