Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
I still don't understand the thought process behind this, it's not like Series X is even a good name. It feels more like a TV name than a console name, like next year Series Y will come out or something.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Unless you follow gaming, I'm pretty sure it's easy to get confused by which console is which (or to even know that the One S is different from the Series S)

Speaking of confusion between the One and Series, is Call of Duty the only one to do the confusing box art thing, or are there other cross gen games like this?

RJtvOqn89tLPj9-bnDHRNH3RkOB1YdaT9T8FI8rP-Tc.jpg

Good lord. In the end the $69.99 price tag is really the best way to tell those SKUs apart.

The text at the top of the box should say "Xbox Series X|S", not just "Xbox".

Nov 19, 2019
I could be wrong, but I don't think they are the same? I believe the more expensive one is the actual next gen/Series S|X version with improved visuals, while the cheaper one will just run in BC mode when played on the newer consoles. The game just doesn't support smart delivery
Next gen premium (for the same product)
Two opposite answers! At this point I'm just resigned to the fact that the world may never know.

I don't actually blame the Xbox naming convention for this particular issue: If you replace every occurrence of Xbox One -> PS4 and Xbox Series -> PS5, it's still confusing as hell. The box color is certainly not helping matters.

EDIT: actually looking at it further, I still do sorta blame the naming convention. Why does the "series" version specify XSX but not mention XSS? It just gets worse the longer I look.

EDIT 2: oh right, Series S has no disc drive...

Last edited:

Sprat

Oct 27, 2017
England
Two opposite answers! At this point I'm just resigned to the fact that the world may never know.

I don't actually blame the Xbox naming convention for this particular issue: If you replace every occurrence of Xbox One -> PS4 and Xbox Series -> PS5, it's still confusing as hell. The box color is certainly not helping matters.

EDIT: actually looking at it further, I still do sorta blame the naming convention. Why does the "series" version specify XSX but not mention XSS? It just gets worse the longer I look.
Looking at cod there is actually a paid seperate upgrade.

But with most games it's free

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
I still get tripped up while trying to type Xbox (haha happened again) Xbox Series X. I guess it's a habbit of following Xbox with One.

RainerDrix

Oct 25, 2017
Long Island, NY
Considering how many Xbox SKUs there've been, I think they'd be better off just calling the next one Xbox 7 and could get away with it. That's assuming that myth about them not wanting to be a number below Sony is true.

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
It's definitely a super confusing Christmas for those buying Xbox related gifts that don't know anything about gaming. I still stand by the Xbox naming convention being a total fucking nightmare for the console space.

RCSI

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
You just know the sequels are going to be:

Xbox Series S Two
Xbox Series X Two

Xbox Two S
Xbox Two X

Or alternatively

Xbox II S|X
Xbox [roman numeral] S|X

The naming convention is pretty stupid that said, I think the reason they didn't go with a 1,2,3 number convention is because subconsciously people would think the play station equivalent was better because there's are always one model number higher technically, still think calling the last one the 720 and this one the 1480 would of been smarter, could even call the s version the 1000 to signify its weaker, either way series x and s after one s and x wasn't the move.

I thought about that too, but then we have Xbox One vs Playstation 4 as the naming convention last time.

Jun 5, 2018
The naming convention is pretty stupid that said, I think the reason they didn't go with a 1,2,3 number convention is because subconsciously people would think the play station equivalent was better because there's are always one model number higher technically, still think calling the last one the 720 and this one the 1480 would of been smarter, could even call the s version the 1000 to signify its weaker, either way series x and s after one s and x wasn't the move.

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I got a Virtual Boy game for Christmas one year because the boxes looked like Gameboy boxes. I was excited because that meant that Santa must have got me a Virtual Boy too but alas.

TheRulingRing

Banned
Apr 6, 2018
Unless you follow gaming, I'm pretty sure it's easy to get confused by which console is which (or to even know that the One S is different from the Series S)

Speaking of confusion between the One and Series, is Call of Duty the only one to do the confusing box art thing, or are there other cross gen games like this?

RJtvOqn89tLPj9-bnDHRNH3RkOB1YdaT9T8FI8rP-Tc.jpg

I still don't understand this.

What's the reason to get the more expensive version when you could just get the cheaper one that still works for your new console?

Does the more expensive version have enhancements not available to people who buy the cheaper one?

Druffmaul

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 24, 2018
Nobody could have predicted this. Especially nobody in Microsoft's marketing dept full of geniuses.

Yasuke

Oct 25, 2017
Unless the parent is like didn't he say he wanted Playstation? Hey look a Playstation on the shelf even if it has 4 in the name lol. I get the sentiment but I guarantee if they made it Xbox 4 ppl will be saying how MS was dumb to be less than 5. MS can not win

Which is why they should've just called it the Xbox 5.

It's easy enough to stretch to get there tbh

Nov 2, 2017
this is an hilariously written story.
"what has happened"
"we both laughed"
really funny dude lol

writing it here is smart cover for the trial later.

Deleted member 18400

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Your wife sounds like a nice person, at least you were able to laugh it off and not be all awkward about it lol

That said, the naming convention for the new Xbox is gonna cause some problems this Christmas. Not a ton, but I'm sure you're wife won't be the only person to think they just scored a new console for someone.

Arctic Chris

Dec 5, 2017
Ottawa Canada
The title of this thread is long changed, but I have to wonder if the OP was perfectly clear letting his wife know which console he wanted? The initial thread title was not an example of clarity.

And we cannot kid ourselves, Microsoft is using the most ridiculous naming architecture possible. Of course there is going to be confusion.

Last edited:

Shpeshal Nick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
It's still amazing to me that they paid people to come up with this confusing naming scheme and it got green lit. Just start numbering them. Microsoft skipped Windows 9, they can skip XBOX4 and just start at XBOX5 if they're worried about being 1 generation behind Playstation.

I along with zedox was beating the Xbox 5 drum for years.

They had the perfect opportunity to have numbered parity with Sony and using the Xbox One X as the excuse for it

IamPeacock

Feb 9, 2018
Belgium
I still can't fathom how a mega company like MS could screw up the names of their consoles like that.

One
One S
One Series S
One Series X

I mean... Yeah

Cien

Oct 25, 2017
I never understood why people lose their shit about some model names.

Apple does something similar and no one bats an eye (I own an iPhone before someone even tries that)

X,XR,XS,XSM and people are fine.

One S, One X, Series S Series X and its suddenly too much to wrap your head around.

Oct 27, 2017
I mean...

Xbox One
Xbox One S
Xbox One X
Xbox Series S
Xbox Series X

I can see why someone would be confused.

You know, seeing it all listed like that is the first time I've actually made the connection that this new Xbox is technically called "the Series", just like the current/last gen one is the "the One" and the previous "the 360", and S and X are just variations. I knew the variation part, but the actual naming convention never made sense to me before seeing them vertically listed like that

And given that, going from 360 -> One -> Series is completely baffling. Yeah, Nintendo uses non-sequential names as well, with "Nintendo" being the equivalent of "Xbox", but the only time people were confused was with the Wii U. The rest are distinctly named based on some feature/function (ie. N64 being 64-bit, Gamecube being a cube, etc)