• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
Going forward I think it should just be called the Xbox X and Xbox S, with the year they came out. Market X as the premium, enthusiast version, and S as the economical, digital-only version. Then have the year they were released to signify the "model year".

This is the Xbox X (2020), this is the Xbox S (2025), this is the Xbox X (3090).

You don't understand that S and X are the variants. You're missing the name of the system. As in "360" or "One" or "Series"

Seijuro

Oct 25, 2017
It's very confusing. As many retailers around here omit next gen consoles from search results because they're out of stock (like Media Markt or Libro, or even Amazon) if you search for Series S the first result is a Xbox One S, in stock. (A few weeks ago I was browsing for a Series S too, that's how I know).
This is gonna happen a bunch over the holidays.

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
Personally not sure why they couldn't branch out from the S and X brandings to help differentiate the consoles.

Slayer97

Oct 28, 2017
Microsoft's naming of their consoles is dumb AF. I guarantee a lot of kids will be bummed out this Xmas due to it as well.

Sheng Long

Oct 27, 2017
Earth
But Era said this could never happen. :)

Seen plenty of people at work not into games as much think the same thing. They really should have thought that name a little better.

For what it's worth, stores in my town still have One S consoles in stock .

twofive

Oct 27, 2017
I think the XS and XR is not a good example since Apple switch to 11, 11 pro, 11 pro max the year after.

IMO, MS should of just name it
Xbox 6S
Xbox 6X

and make up some PR speak to stretch it like

1) Xbox
2) Xbox 360
3) Xbox one
4) Xbox one S
5) Xbox one X

Now, we are jumping into next gen with Xbox 6S and Xbox 6X blah blah blah

Rats

Oct 25, 2017
If people can't differentiate between something that has "One" preceding it and "Series", they have much bigger problems in life.

It's really not that difficult. But apparently "gamers" struggle with these simple concepts. A couple anecdotal stories are just that and most people don't have any issue.

I'm guessing you've never sold electronics in a retail environment. Things that are glaringly obvious to us are indecipherable to normies.

maxx720

Nov 7, 2017
As latest consoles are all over the news my wife was interested in knowing which console I will buy. I told her since we don't have a 4k TV at the moment I am leaning towards Xbox series s. It has a subscription service which is great for us in tough financial times.

So today I came home from work and there was a present waiting for me. When I opened it it was Xbox one s. She even boasted that it was better value as it had 1tb storage. Then I told her what has happened and we both laughed.

Has anything like this happened to anyone here?

SEX is always better than SES. Good luck with future endeavors.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
You don't understand that S and X are the variants. You're missing the name of the system. As in "360" or "One" or "Series"

I do understand, but I'm saying the name of the system should just be "Xbox", especially as they lean more into things like Game Pass and Xcloud (potentially making the innards less important. We've already heard hints of an "Xbox Stick", for example. I think they should focus more on Xbox as an ecosystem (which is clearly the direction they're headed), and less Xbox as... systems.

With the OG Xbox One being discontinued for the One S and One X and then the release of the Series S and Series X, they've clearly set that standard already. I don't think we really need a "series" title, Xbox works fine.

I think Xbox X, Xbox S, and Xbox Stick is less confusing than new model names every couple years, especially if those names don't make a whole lot of sense chronologically speaking.

Lys Skygge

Shinra Employee
Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
TBH it always takes me a minute to figure out which console someone is talking about whenever either comes up. The only time I immediately know is when someone calls it the "Series X/S"

Otherwise, X1X, XSX, XSS, X1S all look very similar at first glance.

Deleted member 5359

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Very bad naming by MS. I get "Xbox One X/S" and "Series X/S" mixed up when not closely paying attention to things like podcast discussions. I can only imagine how confusing it is to someone who is just looking to buy a new console as a gift for someone else.

Dis

Oct 27, 2017
I expect a lot of this over Xmas this year from people not exactly understanding the difference. I also noticed something randomly that was pretty fucked up on ebay in the UK the other day, so the awful movie tie in game 'the amazing spider-man 2" on xbox one was always considered a bad game by most, prices dropped like mad due to it's known issues and cash grab movie tie in state, but I noticed that used copies on eBay UK are now selling for £40-80 on xbox one.....at first I thought it was just people making a mistake for one copy assuming it was miles that just released but for xbox due to not knowing much about games and buying gifts at Xmas time, but I looked at the recently sold and there are a lot of used copies sold recently for those insane prices. I even decided to check CEX website to see what they sold it at as I remember it being cheap as hell years ago and they even got in on the game once they saw the profit they could make I guess, copies on there were £40 used.......so I have to assume that a lot of kids are gonna be disappointed on Xmas morning to find that they got that and not miles, unless I totally didn't know somehow the game was worth a bunch now?

Jumpman23

Nov 14, 2017
They should have just said fuck it and called it Xbox 6 or Xbox VI (Roman numerals) since there have been previous concern about a number lower than PlayStation's appearing to be inferior hardware.

Oct 25, 2017
I think the XS and XR is not a good example since Apple switch to 11, 11 pro, 11 pro max the year after.

Xbox 6S
Xbox 6X

1) Xbox
2) Xbox 360
3) Xbox one
4) Xbox one S
5) Xbox one X

Agree, they just could've gone for Xbox 5 or even, as you mentioned, Xbox 6.
Problem solved.

GattsuSama

Mar 12, 2020
Yeah, my family has basically stopped buying me anything even remotely surprising because they know that anything I would want I already have.

I do try to purposely hint at things to my kids so that they will come up with ideas though. But they generally need to be things that they would easily be able to buy (with my wife), so a hard to find piece of tech would not be one.
Yup pretty much my case and I really like it because I get other useful stuff I like or might enjoy.

It's not all socks and clothing.

Jeronimo

Nov 16, 2017
Is such a thing even possible? Glad you got a laugh out of it and hope you were able to get the one you want.

odlanorz

Oct 30, 2017
What if Microsoft intentionally named the new consoles this way to cause confusion and help get rid of unsold stock of last gen? Sounds like a very 5head move to me....

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah. It's terrible. Sony has the best system with PS1/2/3/4/5 . I love it. Everybody loves it. Why complicate things?

Nintendo is almost as guilty as Microsoft.

Sony's naming scheme only works for Sony. It wouldn't work for Nintendo because they have too many different product lines. They have their console one, then they had the Gameboy. The DS was technically suppose to be an experiment, which was why it didn't take the GB name, and then it blew up so it became the future. But calling their systems the Famicom 2, 3, 4, 5, etc..would be super boring. Plus NOA changing the name to Nintendo screwed that up

Not to mention PSP -> Vita doesn't follow sequential numbers

Shpeshal Nick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia

Xbox 6S
Xbox 6X

1) Xbox
2) Xbox 360
3) Xbox one
4) Xbox one S
5) Xbox one X

They missed that boat now

They had the perfect opportunity

Xbox (1)
Xbox 360 (2)
Xbox One (3)
Xbox One X (4)
Xbox 5

"While the Xbox One X was part of the Xbox One family of consoles, internally we always saw it as the 4th Xbox. It helped us lay the foundation for our vision for backward compatibility. It had an almost completely different internal architecture to the Xbox One. So with that, we bring you, Xbox 5"

Or some shit like that.

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They missed that boat now

They had the perfect opportunity

Xbox (1)
Xbox 360 (2)
Xbox One (3)
Xbox One X (4)
Xbox 5

"While the Xbox One X was part of the Xbox One family of consoles, internally we always saw it as the 4th Xbox. It helped us lay the foundation for our vision for backward compatibility. It had an almost completely different internal architecture to the Xbox One. So with that, we bring you, Xbox 5"

Or some shit like that.
I love how 90% of Era think they are marketing geniuses

never change

Guinea Pig

Oct 29, 2017
Exact same thing happens a week ago to my sister-in-law. Bought my nephews an Xbox one S and wanted a series s or x. Has to break the news but thankfully she scored a series x from wal mart online today. Microsoft needs to do a better job with naming.

Nov 8, 2017
Complete dumbasses, didn't they learn from Wii WiiU dumb naming convention.

Comparisons like this is why people were reacting so strongly to people saying "it's confusing". Yes it's confusing, but when you say "didn't they learn from wiiu?" you're implicitly saying basically "the naming being confusing could kill the product" which is a major overreaction and a misdiagnosis of what happened to that console.

Vilam

Oct 27, 2017
MS naming conventions for their consoles have been fucking terrible since the 360.

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
that was really awesome and thoughtful of your wife!

i will never understand why Microsoft went with this naming convention. i mean, i consider myself to be a pretty informed gamer, and even i mix them up sometimes when talking to them. Like, Xbox to Xbox 360? Easy peasy. you know that the 360 was the next in line after the OG Xbox.

then we got into Xbox ONE, and while that could be confusing, considering how far removed we are from the OG Xbox, and it's not like you can buy them in stores anymore, it's fine. but then they went with Xbox ONE S and Xbox ONE X, and I honestly don't know the difference between those two. And then still, they went with Xbox Series X, and Xbox Series S, which would be fine if they hadn't already used the X/S naming convention for the ONE line.

As generic as I think PlayStation 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5 are, there is literally no room for confusion in terms of parsing that the higher number means the newer machine. Even PlayStation 4 Pro implies that there's something different about it in relation to PlayStation 4.

I'm pretty sure a lot of well meaning folks are going to have this happen to them going into the holidays, thinking they're getting the newest machine for their loved ones. Because demand for the machines are so high, I imagine that people hunting for one just glance at the name, see it's in stock, then rush to check out before it's snapped up, not realizing that they've selected the wrong console. It's an honest and easy mistake to make with these naming conventions.

Deleted member 2317

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I read a lot about video games and I couldn't name the individual SKUs, it's hilarious. 3DS levels of BS.

Deleted member 45460

Banned
Jun 27, 2018
People understand cellphone naming conventions. I don't think Xbox consoles are any more confusing than that.

Vade

Oct 26, 2017
At least teh good news is that the series S has been up on Walmart for sale for over an hour now....granted it won't ship until January.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
A couple anecdotal stories are just that and most people don't have any issue.
Did anybody say otherwise? We all know in general people will have no issues, but some cases like this were also expected. I don't think anybody was saying Xbox would be doomed because of their naming convention lol, it's funny that people always bring this up as some kind of counter argument when, from what I recall, no one is arguing that.

Tttssd1972

May 24, 2019
Uhhh. When we were kids one of us wanted a Gameboy and the other wanted a PlayStation. My Grandmother, who was a god damn saint, called GameStop asking for "PlayBoy" 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Rats

Oct 25, 2017
People understand cellphone naming conventions. I don't think Xbox consoles are any more confusing than that.

They don't, they go to their carrier and they buy "the new one." Most people I dealt with at my retail tech job couldn't tell you the model of phone they had in their own pocket.

Deleted member 78123

Banned
Aug 16, 2020
that was really awesome and thoughtful of your wife!

i will never understand why Microsoft went with this naming convention. i mean, i consider myself to be a pretty informed gamer, and even i mix them up sometimes when talking to them. Like, Xbox to Xbox 360? Easy peasy. you know that the 360 was the next in line after the OG Xbox.

then we got into Xbox ONE, and while that could be confusing, considering how far removed we are from the OG Xbox, and it's not like you can buy them in stores anymore, it's fine. but then they went with Xbox ONE S and Xbox ONE X, and I honestly don't know the difference between those two. And then still, they went with Xbox Series X, and Xbox Series S, which would be fine if they hadn't already used the X/S naming convention for the ONE line.

As generic as I think PlayStation 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5 are, there is literally no room for confusion in terms of parsing that the higher number means the newer machine. Even PlayStation 4 Pro implies that there's something different about it in relation to PlayStation 4.

I'm pretty sure a lot of well meaning folks are going to have this happen to them going into the holidays, thinking they're getting the newest machine for their loved ones. Because demand for the machines are so high, I imagine that people hunting for one just glance at the name, see it's in stock, then rush to check out before it's snapped up, not realizing that they've selected the wrong console. It's an honest and easy mistake to make with these naming conventions.

If you don't know the difference between Xbox One S and Xbox One X you are not well informed.