• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Uzumaki Goku

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I remember this was announced... they were making two versions one that plays like Street Fighter and one that plays like Tekken... (that is assuming that Tekken x Street Fighter ever gets released) It seems the gems system was what killed this game competitively or the fact that a hacker was able to access all the DLC characters before they were properly released, not to mention... they like to say Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat can't cross over because they don't match... yet, Street Fighter is a 2D game that relies on inputting fireballs and special moves while Tekken is a 3D fighter that revolves around martial arts and no special moves like fireballs... I don't see how that matches up anyway.

Gradon

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I feel like I was the only person in to world to like SFxT lol.

TxSF is definitely cancelled.

Oct 28, 2017
SFxT got forgotten about because its balance was real stupid, and it had the absolute rubbish gem system involved, with Capcom trying to push it into having esports competitions on their rules, which would involve gems.

Its best forgotten.

Magneto

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No one asked for Street Fighter X Tekken in the first place. It wasn't a bad game in my opinion, but Capcom needed a flop to realize that the FGC wasn't going to eat every kind of shitty practice they could make up.

Hanbei

Nov 11, 2017
Street Fighter X Tekken happened. It had its chance, and Capcom ruined everything with the gem system. It's Tekken X Street Fighter that has been on hiatus for years that I am still waiting for.

QisTopTier

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
post patch sfxt > sf4/5

Gem system when untouched in the preset builds was fine

Brazil

Actual Brazilian
Oct 24, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
Everyone could see from five miles away that the gem system was some dumb shit. Lo and behold.

The hatred the game got for the on-disc DLC in 2012 is hilarious in retrospect, though, considering the obscene monetization practices that we've all accepted as part of the business since then.

Tbm24

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Patched SFxT is a very solid game imo. Shame few stuck around for it. The character models were...mostly great.

Roliq

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 23, 2018
The situation with the DLC characters was the worst part like how scummy was to show Cody and Guy at the end of the third trailer if they weren't in the base game, the part of them being already in the game and the 5 exclusive characters to Playstation, granted 3 of them were Sony characters but Megaman and Pacman being exclusive was a pretty asshole move

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I really liked it, but I only played against the computer so a lot of it's flaws were lost on me.
I liked the Tekken characters in the SF4 art style.

JG_Lionheart

Dec 3, 2018
I never got to understand how the systems worked. You see all these combos online and I have no idea how to translate that into a game plan.

EggmaniMN

Banned
May 17, 2020
I actually just remembered it yesterday, installed the community patch that bypasses the GFWL garbage on the PC version and had a blast. Post update the game was really good and better than SF5 for the vast majority of SF5's life so far and miles more fun than end of life SF4. The trials are still fun to run through. I really enjoyed the translation of Tekken characters to an SF style too. Fantastic job all around.

Sonicfan059

Mar 4, 2018
I remember this was announced... they were making two versions one that plays like Street Fighter and one that plays like Tekken... (that is assuming that Tekken x Street Fighter ever gets released) It seems the gems system was what killed this game competitively or the fact that a hacker was able to access all the DLC characters before they were properly released, not to mention... they like to say Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat can't cross over because they don't match... yet, Street Fighter is a 2D game that relies on inputting fireballs and special moves while Tekken is a 3D fighter that revolves around martial arts and no special moves like fireballs... I don't see how that matches up anyway.
No special moves? I cheesed those Devil lasers like crazy in T2!

Zeta Ori

Oct 25, 2017
NY
Honestly played SFxT a ton, really enjoyed it. Being able to make custom color palettes for the characters was something I wish more fighting games would do.

Also, the DLC outfits that put each franchises characters in outfits inspired by the other was amazing.

Heihatchi Sodom and Ibuki Yoshimitsu were two of my favorites:

17_sfxtcostumes11.jpg

Edit: Looking back, yeah some of these are 🔥

31_sfxtdlcswapcostumes01.jpg

WXFplbwV3E8NCIB-kqbKILpm3gAXrclaxxr5aj1d3E2VyqNrGdzR_Sjgl3JhRGkVnqmFo_qei3WgsGWCg4y6fz_QFb4xPYje-40nZpGVIsyOc1rJHYTX7dodI5_dP001pAk1cTGQrWs

latest

Last edited:

SirKai

Dec 28, 2017
Washington
One of my greatest gaming disappointments ever. Coming out of SFIV and especially Marvel 3, SFxT was my most anticipated game. It looked delightful. But then Pandora was revealed and that looked... underwhelming and unnecessary but not a complete deal breaker. But then when the gem system was revealed I immediately wrote it off and never even bothered playing it. I had already resigned interest, so when the fully playable and fully, or at least mostly, finished DLC characters were hacked, it was just a riot to watch unfold with more dirt being shoveled onto the coffin. Also, given how busted and pay to win the Ultimate Defense gem was, it was obvious that completely disregarding the game was the right move.

I would still be interested in some significantly retooled Razor's Edge version of the game, but it really does seem completely forgotten and left to die as a legacy game since SF games released before and after it still keep getting attention.

QisTopTier

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
another fuck up by Capcom.. those gems system killed the game.
Nope the character dlc stuff, the game being jank as fuck on release, and evo being a super shitty 2v2 format killed the game

One of my greatest gaming disappointments ever. Coming out of SFIV and especially Marvel 3, SFxT was my most anticipated game. It looked delightful. But then Pandora was revealed and that looked... underwhelming and unnecessary but not a complete deal breaker. But then when the gem system was revealed I immediately wrote it off and never even bothered playing it. I had already resigned interest, so when the fully playable and fully, or at least mostly, finished DLC characters were hacked, it was just a riot to watch unfold with more dirt being shoveled onto the coffin. Also, given how busted and pay to win the Ultimate Defense gem was, it was obvious that completely disregarding the game was the right move.

I would still be interested in some significantly retooled Razor's Edge version of the game, but it really does seem completely forgotten and left to die as a legacy game since SF games released before and after it still keep getting attention.
This deffinitely reads like someone who never played the game before, all those "noob helper" gems people cried about were super shitty

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017

The game without gems was so much fun.

Also Cole was my favorite character to play.

Vimes

Oct 25, 2017
This game deserves a second chance, with the gems removed. All the other systems are great, playing tag with 4 players is tense, and the adaptations of the tekken characters are genius.

The only reason I'm pulling for Tekken x SF to still happen is it would give Cap an opening to revisit SFxT.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I think that a new game couldn't work because there is not that much overlap between both franchises. I know that the FGC is known for playing more than one game, but I feel that even though there is a big overlap between 2d and 3d fighters players, in the end you will never please everyone with an Street Fighter vs Tekken game, so there is no point in making a crossover with both games. Harada once said that it would be a terrible idea to see him develop a Virtua Fighter game, because if he hired the entire AM2 staff, the second that people see Namco's logo, vf fans would hate it

Compare this with Capcom vs SNK, even though both games have huge differences on how they design their games, the core basics are practically the same, and in the end the game is loved by most people on both fanbases.

SirKai

Dec 28, 2017
Washington
This deffinitely reads like someone who never played the game before, all those "noob helper" gems people cried about were super shitty

This was the video I saw years ago about the assist gems that further underscored my decision to avoid SFxT. Nothing about these assist gems looks "super shitty." Being able to totally negate cross ups and mixups for minimal meter usage while just walking forward? That sounds (and looks) pretty damn useful.

Deleted member 69222

User requested account closure
Banned
May 14, 2020
To me, SFxTK was a great celebration of Street Fighter and Tekken.
People had issues with its balance or whatever, but still, the game was fun and had cool character interactions in the story mode.

Who knows if TKxSF will happen in the future, but if it did people should not take it seriously, otherwise they will be disappointed again.

If you want serious fighting play Street Fighter OR Tekken.

AllMight1

Oct 27, 2017
I played it a lot with a roomie that loved all fighting games, on a very casual level.
It was good but i'm waiting for the true king of fighters TxSF

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
It sucks that so much good work was done into translating Tekken characters into the Street Fighter style of combat and it was all stuck in one shitty game

KingM

Oct 28, 2017
I think that a new game couldn't work because there is not that much overlap between both franchises. I know that the FGC is known for playing more than one game, but I feel that even though there is a big overlap between 2d and 3d fighters players, in the end you will never please everyone with an Street Fighter vs Tekken game, so there is no point in making a crossover with both games. Harada once said that it would be a terrible idea to see him develop a Virtua Fighter game, because if he hired the entire AM2 staff, the second that people see Namco's logo, vf fans would hate it

Compare this with Capcom vs SNK, even though both games have huge differences on how they design their games, the core basics are practically the same, and in the end the game is loved by most people on both fanbases.
I feel the 2D style characters in T7 have been very well received.

mopinks

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly played SFxT a ton, really enjoyed it. Being able to make custom color palettes for the characters was something I wish more fighting games would do.

Also, the DLC outfits that put each franchises characters in outfits inspired by the other was amazing.

Heihatchi Sodom and Ibuki Yoshimitsu were two of my favorites:

17_sfxtcostumes11.jpg

Edit: Looking back, yeah some of these are 🔥

31_sfxtdlcswapcostumes01.jpg

WXFplbwV3E8NCIB-kqbKILpm3gAXrclaxxr5aj1d3E2VyqNrGdzR_Sjgl3JhRGkVnqmFo_qei3WgsGWCg4y6fz_QFb4xPYje-40nZpGVIsyOc1rJHYTX7dodI5_dP001pAk1cTGQrWs

latest
you forgot the best one
uqvlckesoj0d.png

Deleted member 13560

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017

This is why there are usually two games in such crossovers, one by each developer, in the style of each individual game.

QisTopTier

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
This was the video I saw years ago about the assist gems that further underscored my decision to avoid SFxT. Nothing about these assist gems looks "super shitty." Being able to totally negate cross ups and mixups for minimal meter usage while just walking forward? That sounds (and looks) pretty damn useful.

No one who played seriously used this. I mean I actually played the game for like 4 years, scary I know, but it's always fun to talk about things you don't know about on forums so you do you.

QisTopTier

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Fair enough. As admitted, I don't have any first hand experience with the game. This at least looks total BS and is the kind of stuff in the game that pushed me away.
As I said the original game before the 2013 patch was pretty fucking bad so you didn't miss much there. The problem was they got burned so hard by everything that when they finally patched it to the level it should have been at release it was too late and everyone word of mouthed the game out of existence pretty much.

RealTravisty

Mar 29, 2018
Yeah, I wish they gave it another chance for current systems. I can't deny that Capcom really messed up, though.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
A great concept that Capcom completely screwed up. I'm happy it brought Elena back for a while, though.

Anybody remember Cross Assault? Not the in-game mechanic, the "reality show."

Zyrox

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
SFxT was great, imo especially after the 2k13 patch. Had a huge roster and they put a lot of love and care into translating the Tekken characters over into a 2D environment. Sure, pandora was practically useless and the gem system was wack but ultimately these things didn't affect the core gameplay that much.
I also love how the game had online coop. Did a lot of that with a buddy and it was really fun.

Mugy

Oct 28, 2017
So, was the updated/patched final ver. of this game any good? i used to love watching videos on YT of some pros playing it, Kazuya looked great to me