• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

danhz

Apr 20, 2018
Street Fighter vs. Tekken vs. King of Fighters vs. Guilty Gear
flat,128x128,075,t.jpg

Japanmanx3

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta, GA
The fact that Capcom had dropped Ultimate Marvel later the same year as the barebones vanilla model and then dropped this game with the gems system and on disc dlc (which at the time was a big deal) made me completely doubt their logic. I'm fine with them again now but that was definitely a rough patch.

m_shortpants

Oct 25, 2017
I really liked the interpretations of the Tekken characters in Street Fighter. Was really fun to play Jin, Heihachi, Kazuya in 2D. The game post patch was also quite good. Shame it died early.

FinKL

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I bought it to play with my son last week, on PC you need to download the Community Edition to even get it to launch, but it was ahead of it's time with scramble battle and tag team. Would like to see more fighting games tackle teams/coop

ThatCrazyGuy

Nov 27, 2017
Post patch version is pretty good. I personally loved how all the tekken characters were translated. It was bright and cartoony. I always wanted a sequel so they could had did more tekken characters. And maybe spruced up the SF models (which at the base are the sf4 models, I assume). All the tekken ones looked better to me.

I did hate the neon colors though.

As for TKvsSF, I hope that just morphs into some type of "VS" type 3D game with more that just sf and tk characters.

again, just my opinion, I'm not really super feeling the 2d characters in Tekken 7 and how they play in relation to the rest of the cast.

make their VS style 3D game and just go ham at that point, more final fantasy characters, put Neo and Hancock and Akuma and JCVD and super powered up devil Jin, dude from yakuza, chuck norris, Deadpool. Idk., haha.

Shroki

Oct 27, 2017
Nah, Tekken X MK

Leave Capcoms fighting games out of this. They need to figure there own shit out first

The Tekken team has shit their pants for about a year straight. Don't think T7 has been in a good place since early-mid Season 2, and the community is as toxic as it's ever been. There's much shit to figure out for all involved.

But I don't think an MK crossover with anything makes much sense. NRS either develops it (and it will suck) or the other company makes it (and it will be a pointless game).

TheBaldwin

Feb 25, 2018
The Tekken team has shit their pants for about a year straight. Don't think T7 has been in a good place since early-mid Season 2, and the community is as toxic as it's ever been.

But I don't think an MK crossover with anything makes much sense. Either NRS develops it and it's widely scorned by the other community or Capcom/Namco develop it and what's even the point?

Obviously I would never think it would happen, it's just a dumb idea that would only satisfy me haha. Mixing my two favoruite fighting game franchises together.

Tekken Gameplay and soundtrack and the mortal kombat story mode, additional modes, graphical quality, voice acting, character designs (especially for the horrific Tekken designs) and customisations (plus netcode)

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
Everyone could see from five miles away that the gem system was some dumb shit. Lo and behold.

The hatred the game got for the on-disc DLC in 2012 is hilarious in retrospect, though, considering the obscene monetization practices that we've all accepted as part of the business since then.
The situation with the DLC characters was the worst part like how scummy was to show Cody and Guy at the end of the third trailer if they weren't in the base game, the part of them being already in the game and the 5 exclusive characters to Playstation, granted 3 of them were Sony characters but Megaman and Pacman being exclusive was a pretty asshole move

And completely playable on the 360 version if you edited a simple file on the disc.

It was the weirdest DLC situation.

Just That Simple

self-requested ban
Banned
Mar 23, 2018
Obviously I would never think it would happen, it's just a dumb idea that would only satisfy me haha. Mixing my two favoruite fighting game franchises together.

Tekken Gameplay and soundtrack and the mortal kombat story mode, additional modes, graphical quality, voice acting, character designs (especially for the horrific Tekken designs) and customisations (plus netcode)
Keep NRS far away from the animations.

Teepo671

Nov 1, 2017
Guam
Mortal Kombat not matching Street Fighter thing is more people not wanting to see characters like Sakura or Ken get their heads ripped off or something I think. Doubt capcom would ever allow that anyway.

Too bad about SFxTekken. I loved that game and spent hours playing it with a couple of friends for 2 or 3 months after launch before they got tired of it. I think the on disc dlc was probably what did the most damage.

Yamanote Line

alt account
Banned
May 10, 2020
Real take here:
SFxT got really good and fun on its last update and it really deserves a second chance.

My man Ono screwed the game really hard at release with the DLC being in the disc, the gems and the bugs.

Normal

Oct 26, 2017
Yes. We forgot about about SFxT, it's been over 5 years. We're waiting for TxSF tho.

NeoChaos

Oct 28, 2017
NorCal
This game was so hilariously anti-consumer lmao

One of the biggest examples is how they totally fucked over anyone who only owned an Xbox 360. The PS3/Vita version has five whole fucking console exclusive characters.

Cole
Toro
Kuro
Mega Man
Pac-Man

Like the first three are first party Sony characters so them being exclusive makes sense, but why the fuck were 360 users barred off from Mega Man and Pac-Man? At this point, Capcom was literally just sucking Sony off hard. To top it off, there's also the whole ordeal with the 12 DLC (aka Disk-Locked Content) characters that you could get for free...by getting the Vita version and using the accompanying download code for PS3. Jesus christ.
Said it before, said it again, I continue to be stumped at how Sony basically got away with no blame for the on-disc DLC fiasco + five exclusive characters. The whole thing was basically a ploy to sell Vitas and the Vita version of SFxT, yet Capcom took all of the heat for it.

Slacker247

Oct 27, 2017
Did they ever allow to play Gem-less? I can't even remember...

Really hated the way the game looked. Like it was dragged through mud or something. Should've toned that look down a bit.

The Tekken characters were pretty fun to play in that style though, I did like that. There was definitely some care and attention put into all those characters. Just an ugly filter/art directions thrown ontop.

Honestly, I'd be down for a sequel day 1. Sure they messed up with DLC and gems, but I think there is scope to refine the general gameplay. Or just scrap gems entirely next time, have a prettier looking game, extra characters and none of the exclusive character BS. Even shift it to a Capcom vs Namco game, much like XvSF went into MvC. Either way, I'd like to see a new game.

Reinstalled it on PC recently but haven't booted it up yet. Perhaps today!

Last edited:

Waffle

Oct 28, 2017
I hope they make another game like this one even if they only use Capcom properties. I had so much fun playing while having my friend on my team. I want another 2d team fighter that's as fun to have real teammates.

ducknz

May 25, 2018
New Zealand
I loved this game on the Vita. The best ever D-Pad + Lots of cool characters. I probably played it more than any other 2D fighter other than 3rd strike. Obvious criticisms would be gems and pandora. Arcade mode was a lot of fun in this all around great for casual fans.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
It is actually surprising how little care there is for SFxT coming back. People definitely still want TxSF in some form just to even out the collab. But SFxT seems to be a case of "Well it had its chance, we can just move on". As I always see more interest in MvC or even CvS.

With all of that said, I think a rerelease sans the gems would be interesting to see. As that might be enough to get people interested.

Professor Beef

Official ResetEra™ Chao Puncher
Oct 25, 2017
The Digital World
DLC being on-disc was never as big an issue as people made it. The actual issue was them time-locking the DLC to the Vita version for 5 months or however long.
post patch sfxt > sf4/5

Gem system when untouched in the preset builds was fine
We tried to tell them, but they wouldn't listen

Even during the game's heyday only two people in the entire world knew how to play the game to it's potential.

lusca_bueno

Nov 23, 2017
Playing Tekken characters with SF gameplay was SO great! It should come to PS4, I find it hard to play fighting games with casual friends because they can do nothing and it gets boring for them, and if I recall correctly there's a very easy combo solution implemented in this game.

DFG

Self requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Its single player content is amazing. I still play it. Fucking gem system ruined the online though.
I still like it on my Vita
Also terrible DLC practices

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
I just hope that TxSF never happens. I'm not even into the aesthetics and style of Street Fighter anymore

MizerMan

Oct 25, 2017
It is actually surprising how little care there is for SFxT coming back. People definitely still want TxSF in some form just to even out the collab. But SFxT seems to be a case of "Well it had its chance, we can just move on". As I always see more interest in MvC or even CvS.

With all of that said, I think a rerelease sans the gems would be interesting to see. As that might be enough to get people interested.

More like an interest to get burned when things go south once again.

But yeah, SFxT is basically the red headed step child of the bunch.

Hoa

Jun 6, 2018
I think this could succeed now if they brought it back with a few changes to gems and all of the characters available rather than locked early behind DLC. Definitely won't happen though.

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
I honestly really liked the zany characterization that they gave to the reps. Everyone was overacting personality wise and I loved all of it XD.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
So, was the updated/patched final ver. of this game any good? i used to love watching videos on YT of some pros playing it, Kazuya looked great to me

It was very good. The game was never "bad". Matches just ran too long before the patch, which could sometimes undercut the excitement of a match. Honestly, the biggest problem with Street Fighter X Tekken was the monetization model they were attempting to use. It was too scummy (they had every intention of selling gems that could give people a competitive advantage), got all the backs up of the entire FGC, and doomed the game to failure (before it even released).

5pectre

Nov 16, 2017
I liked it too.
The game got bashed by the fgc, undeservingly in my opinion.

I love the game too, but it got bashed because it was a mess on release. It got into a media shitstorm as the DLC characters was on disc. You had to buy the good gems and some were unbalanced. Balance/damage was out of whack and led to a lot of timeouts which was boring to look at in tournaments.

The final product is great imo, but noone cared by that point because of all the bad press it got in the start.

Pandora gimmick was a waste

Kalnet

Oct 25, 2017
Gem system, DLC troubles, and some unbalanced gameplay made the game flop. The concept and some of it are actually really fun but yeah. Unfortunate.

Oct 27, 2017
I liked it a lot.

The tekken characters in SF worked great. It has the funniest mega man ever, I liked playing as Toro and it was overall broken fun.

The thing I hate the mosy about it is the visuals. They look so damn bad.

Just Great

Oct 25, 2017
Damage was out of whack because people kept using scaled tag combos instead of optimizing their play. There's a reason why SethLOLOL and Infiltration were largely the only ones who were winning tournaments.

This is diminishing Coolkid and Kelvin Jeon way too much. But yes, the only problems with timeouts and damage were due to people lazily doing cross rushes. It reminds me of MVC3 pre-release, except the community didn't bother figuring the game out post-release.

Futaleufu

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
I love the game too, but it got bashed because it was a mess on release. It got into a media shitstorm as the DLC characters was on disc. You had to buy the good gems and some were unbalanced. Balance/damage was out of whack and led to a lot of timeouts which was boring to look at in tournaments.

The final product is great imo, but noone cared by that point because of all the bad press it got in the start.

Pandora gimmick was a waste

It didnt help that part of the meta on the first version of the game was "jab, walk forward, repeat"