• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kaeden

Oct 25, 2017
US
I had this happen with Walmart not too long ago and was really worried they wouldn't believe me and give me some crap about it. I called them ahead of time and spoke to a manager and was really calm and cool with her. Went into the store and they swapped it out no big deal.

The plastic was loose though so I had a feeling something was up when I was home and started to open it up. Explained it to her and she had zero problems with the situation.

Raboon

Oct 30, 2017
I once bought a cheeseburger from McDonalds drive thru, came home to take a bite only to find that the meat was missing.

Never happened with a game though.

OP
OP
The Real Napsta
Dec 21, 2017
I talked to them again on chat this morning. They already sent me a new one, and I don't have to ship back the empty case.

Good guy Amazon.

Strat

"This guy are sick"
Apr 8, 2018
I've run into it multiple times and various different ways.

I had a coworker who did this for 360 games constantly. He'd slightly heat the top layer of plastic and carefully peel it back, slide the case out, carefully peel off the security sticker on the side, take the disc out and replace it with a blank CD-R and reseal the entire thing. He'd just use a glue stick on the plastic wrap. Then he'd return it to Wal-Mart and get his cash back. He had a cd binder fuuuull of 360 games he never paid for.

It actually wasn't difficult and I even employed his tactics once to return a copy of Kane and Lynch 2 after I beat it coop with another friend. I imagine this type of thing is really difficult now with Wal-Mart changing a lot of their return policies.

One time I bought my dad a Tiger Woods game for his birthday and he called me later that night saying it didn't work. When I checked it, it was actually just a blank CD-R with a Tiger Woods sticker on it. Where Amazon is concerned, last year I bought that new Sonic game for my nephew and it showed up without anything in it.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
I had a coworker who did this for 360 games constantly. He'd slightly heat the top layer of plastic and carefully peel it back, slide the case out, carefully peel off the security sticker on the side, take the disc out and replace it with a blank CD-R and reseal the entire thing. He'd just use a glue stick on the plastic wrap. Then he'd return it to Wal-Mart and get his cash back. He had a cd binder fuuuull of 360 games he never paid for.

It actually wasn't difficult and I even employed his tactics once to return a copy of Kane and Lynch 2 after I beat it coop with another friend. I imagine this type of thing is really difficult now with Wal-Mart changing a lot of their return policies.
Wow. What a dick move...

MrNelson

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I had this happen to me at a Walmart back in the early 2000's when I was a kid. I bought a copy of Sonic Adventure 2 Battle with money I got for my birthday, but when I got home and opened the box there was no disc inside. We went back to Walmart, and while I don't remember if there was any resistance from the employee, I do know that I ended up getting another copy. For quite a few years after that my parents would have the clerks open the game at the register after we bought it to make sure that it never happened again (and it didn't).

Also, not game related, but I remember back when I worked retail my store had a small selection of DVDs by the front register. One day it was slow and I was doing straightening, and when I got over to the DVDs I noticed that one of them looked off. I picked it up and saw that someone had cut a slit in shrink wrap on the side that opens. It was just enough so that someone could open the case, put their hand in to pop the disc out, and close it without it appearing that it was opened. I was more impressed than anything.