FinFunnels

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
So I bought Capcom Arcade Stadium on sale, which shooters should I be playing? There's a lot of them!

Also it may be sacrilegious but I'm playing vertical shooters horizontally :x
Progear and Giga Wing!

My monitor is very large, so I find playing with it horizontal to be more comfortable. If I rotate it and play in TATE mode I have trouble tracking everything on screen unless I step way back.

mrbogus

Jul 14, 2019
All these collaborations between City Connection and Square Enix (they run Taito).

Here's to hoping we get some non-Saturn ports out of it. Like Magical Chase for PC-Engine/Turbografx-16 (Square owns the property these days).

Dash Kappei

Nov 1, 2017
Curious about Layer Section / Galactic Attack input lag?

Found this on SHMUPS:

Only 3 frames on PS4. Goddamn.

It sucks that the Switch is always laggier than PS4 because the former is my de-facto shmup machine. Regarding LS, I knew it because it felt good (Switch), it sucks that Guardian Force still has 8+ frames of input latency after the patch, since modder (?) Daifukkat.su released a patch to cut down 2 frames on the ST-V rom of GF (which afaik has up to 7 frames lag thanks to sloppy coding)

Spook & Spell

Aug 3, 2021
It sucks that the Switch is always laggier than PS4 because the former is my de-facto shmup machine. Regarding LS, I knew it because it felt good (Switch), it sucks that Guardian Force still has 8+ frames of input latency after the patch, since modder (?) Daifukkat.su released a patch to cut down 2 frames on the ST-V rom of GF (which afaik has up to 7 frames lag thanks to sloppy coding)
It is a shame. Cotton and GF had to die so that these games could benefit.

I'm most excited about the possibility of owning/playing the best version of Elevator Action Returns again. Layer Section is a very pleasant bonus.

clippa

Apr 18, 2018
Z-Warp, the new game from Panda Indie Studio is out on all consoles.
It's really good fun!

Z-Warp PS4 & PS5

Retrieve the black box

Buy Z-Warp | Xbox

Blast off into the darkest corners of space to retrieve the black box of a lost experimental spacecraft! In the Year 21XX, a starship capable of space-time warping was constructed and launched, only to be lost to the unknown depths of space on its maiden voyage. When a distress signal is...
www.nintendo.co.uk

Z-Warp

Blast off into the darkest corners of space to retrieve the black box of a lost experimental spacecraft!

Deleted member 9305

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, Yousuke Yasui is sooooo good. Ginga Force and especially Natsuki Chronicles got amazing soundtracks too.

Dash Kappei

Nov 1, 2017
Z-Warp, the new game from Panda Indie Studio is out on all consoles.
It's really good fun!

Z-Warp PS4 & PS5

Retrieve the black box

Buy Z-Warp | Xbox

Blast off into the darkest corners of space to retrieve the black box of a lost experimental spacecraft! In the Year 21XX, a starship capable of space-time warping was constructed and launched, only to be lost to the unknown depths of space on its maiden voyage. When a distress signal is...
www.nintendo.co.uk

Z-Warp

Blast off into the darkest corners of space to retrieve the black box of a lost experimental spacecraft!

Wait, I didn't buy it because going by the description on eShop it seemed like there weren't proper levels, but endless waves (I need my shmups to have a set number of levels lol)

clippa

Apr 18, 2018
Yeah, this one isn't procedurally generated, though his previous game "Void Gore" was.

It's great! Best game he's made I reckon. The scoring is a lot of fun. Killing enemies keeps your chain going but so does collecting the skulls so it's not a good idea just to grab them as soon as they appear.
The multiplier you have when you get to the boss, that's locked in and you keep that through the whole boss fight. The last stage is a bugger to chain, but getting into that last boss fight with a decent multiplier, if you beat the TLB, you'll be laughing.

Leaderboards seem a bit buggy, my score only seems to update like a quarter of the time.

clippa

Apr 18, 2018
Had a really good run of Z-Warp the other day.

Thinking of how I could push my score further, I tried to milk some of the bosses, and my god, it's a big problem.

Apparently the dev knows about this and is looking into fixing it.

Steam page is up for Endless Shirafu's new game

STG has reached a new frontier! 2D bullet-hell sci-fi action shooter with mouse control and multiple buttons!

clippa

Apr 18, 2018
Yeah, it's great! The dev just commented on one of my youtube videos. Looks like they're gonna leave the console versions as is and release the game on steam with the milking fixed.

"Hey hey, to address this - doing stuff on console is complicated and patching is always monitored. A patch that resets leaderboards has a high chance of not getting through, and it would take weeks anyway. Enough for people to spend countless hours exploiting the score. In the end it's probably better to learn from my mistakes and move on, instead of potentially infuriating who already put their time into the game. This also means that the game will get a steam release, with fixed scoring :)"

Dash Kappei

Nov 1, 2017
Dang, just bought the game on Switch, that makes me not want to put any time into highscore chasing :( Shit like that is always a bummer imo.

EinhanderSequel

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 18, 2022
I've started compiling a list of upcoming shmups because I couldn't find a one stop good resource that already existed. It's still a work in progress and I'm sure I'm missing a lot, so please let me know if there are any missing games that you're aware of and I will be happy to add them.
docs.google.com

Upcoming Shmups

FinFunnels

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
I've started compiling a list of upcoming shmups because I couldn't find a one stop good resource that already existed. It's still a work in progress and I'm sure I'm missing a lot, so please let me know if there are any missing games that you're aware of and I will be happy to add them.
docs.google.com

Upcoming Shmups

Awesome list!

FWIW, Castle of Shikigami 2 is already out on Steam at least. I bought it a few months ago.

EinhanderSequel

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 18, 2022
Awesome list!

FWIW, Castle of Shikigami 2 is already out on Steam at least. I bought it a few months ago.
Thank you! I've removed Steam from that entry now. The Switch version should still be somewhere on the horizon though.

How is the Steam version of Castle of Shikigami 2, btw? I never played the original and know nothing about it other than that it had "amazing" voice acting back in the day.

FinFunnels

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Thank you! I've removed Steam from that entry now. The Switch version should still be somewhere on the horizon though.

How is the Steam version of Castle of Shikigami 2, btw? I never played the original and know nothing about it other than that it had "amazing" voice acting back in the day.
The voice acting is fine, it's the translation that was "amazing" lol. But the Steam version has a new, much better translation.

It's a good shmup and still holds up pretty well. The only thing that kind of annoys me is you don't have unlimited credits from the start. You unlock more credits for roughly every hour you spend playing the game.

I also have to hand it to Degica for good support of the game. They listened to fan feedback and released a lot of patches for it.

MrNewVegas

Oct 27, 2017
docs.google.com

Upcoming Shmups

This is amazing! Thanks so much for your hard work!

Any chance you have an invite to the shmup junkies discord?

EinhanderSequel

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 18, 2022
That all sounds promising. I plan on picking it up when it eventually hits the Switch. I hope all those patched improvements are included at launch

Deleted member 9305

Oct 26, 2017
Mecha Ritz: Steel Rondo2.0 was demo'd at TOKYO SANDBOX '22 ... to be released this summer

Defunkled

Oct 29, 2017
Any word on the street about this new Layer Section/Galactic Attack port on PS4/Switch? I made the mistake of buying that horribly laggy Cotton 2 & Boomerang collection at release and this is from the same line.

Spook & Spell

Aug 3, 2021
Any word on the street about this new Layer Section/Galactic Attack port on PS4/Switch? I made the mistake of buying that horribly laggy Cotton 2 & Boomerang collection at release and this is from the same line.
Initial testing showed 3 frames of input lag, but that source appeared to have been testing only on the menu. In-game tests for the PS4 version are closer to 6 frames. Not great, but considerably better than Cotton2&B.

Here's a video discussing the demo's latency:

A pinned comment explains why he was experiencing different latency during his testing.

And yes these are City Connection ports.

Last edited:

Defunkled

Oct 29, 2017
Initial testing showed 3 frames of input lag, but that source appeared to have been testing only on the menu. In-game tests for the PS4 version are closer to 6 frames. Not great, but considerably better than Cotton2&B.

Here's a video discussing the demo's latency:

A pinned comment explains why he was experiencing different latency during his testing.

And yes these are City Connection ports.

Thank you! Dang, 6 frames is still pretty rough.

Silius

Dec 10, 2017
Tacoma, Wa
Thank you! Dang, 6 frames is still pretty rough.
There also seems to be audio issues as well. City Connection just announced that patch is coming in June for various things. Doesn't mention delay or audio issues in the update either.

Edit- good summary on steam reviews.

"I really wanted this port to be great, as I've played the game extensively throughout the years on MAME and my physical Saturn copy.

Good things about the port:
- Has a 30hz super rapid shot option (which must be enabled in options). This increases your main shot damage and will help players get much further into the game.
- A stage select option with stage, shot lvl, laser lvl, and rank options. Although I would have preferred if the rank numbers correlated to their stage counterparts to help with practicing strategies similar to an actual run.
- Button remapping for controllers
-Ok scanline option

However, the current state of this port has a lot of issues:
- terrible audio stutter, music will just slow down & become distorted at times, even with v-sync on & no frame rate drops.
- sound effects play repeatedly, and are sometimes delayed. This is incredibly annoying to listen to while playing and makes it pretty unbearable for people listening to the game on streams.
- control feels somewhat sluggish at best. It felt very difficult to execute many 7/8-chain strategies that I can do consistently on the original arcade version.
- online ranking submission didn't work even if the option to record your score is on. Online leaderboards are also not separated by internal/external autofire, and only include scores of their respective platform.
- Only has 1 save state which is laughable.
-No keyboard support, which makes no sense considering the emulator it is based on (SSF) supports keyboard mapping.

At its MSRP of $30, I would hard pass on this S-Tribute port. Every other port I've played runs more consistently & doesn't have the weird audio issues I experienced here. I hope that City Connection can patch this version and reduce the input lag, because I don't think that any of their S-Tribute releases have been good so far, and they don't reflect the quality of the chosen titles."

Last edited:

Defunkled

Oct 29, 2017
There also seems to be audio issues as well. City Connection just announced that patch is coming in June for various things. Doesn't mention delay or audio issues in the update either.

Edit- good summary on steam reviews.

"I really wanted this port to be great, as I've played the game extensively throughout the years on MAME and my physical Saturn copy.

Good things about the port:
- Has a 30hz super rapid shot option (which must be enabled in options). This increases your main shot damage and will help players get much further into the game.
- A stage select option with stage, shot lvl, laser lvl, and rank options. Although I would have preferred if the rank numbers correlated to their stage counterparts to help with practicing strategies similar to an actual run.
- Button remapping for controllers
-Ok scanline option

However, the current state of this port has a lot of issues:
- terrible audio stutter, music will just slow down & become distorted at times, even with v-sync on & no frame rate drops.
- sound effects play repeatedly, and are sometimes delayed. This is incredibly annoying to listen to while playing and makes it pretty unbearable for people listening to the game on streams.
- control feels somewhat sluggish at best. It felt very difficult to execute many 7/8-chain strategies that I can do consistently on the original arcade version.
- online ranking submission didn't work even if the option to record your score is on. Online leaderboards are also not separated by internal/external autofire, and only include scores of their respective platform.
- Only has 1 save state which is laughable.
-No keyboard support, which makes no sense considering the emulator it is based on (SSF) supports keyboard mapping.

At its MSRP of $30, I would hard pass on this S-Tribute port. Every other port I've played runs more consistently & doesn't have the weird audio issues I experienced here. I hope that City Connection can patch this version and reduce the input lag, because I don't think that any of their S-Tribute releases have been good so far, and they don't reflect the quality of the chosen titles."

Wow that's pretty damning. I'm definitely gonna wait for either a comprehensive patch or deep discount…what a bummer.

Spook & Spell

Aug 3, 2021
Yeah, definitely not worth $30. I'm hoping they have things sorted by the time EAR comes around, because that's the real get here if it pans out alright.

Noisepurge

Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 25, 2017
I enjoyed playing it. Was at least an easy platinum trophy :D I'm not that sensitive to input lag and have never played it before so have no point of reference.

EinhanderSequel

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 18, 2022
Looks like they are planning a patch or Layer Section & Galactic Attack for June. Though unfortunately it doesn't look like it's expected to address all the issues Silius noted above. But it sounds like it should fix the leaderboard separating autofire
city-connection.co.jp

Layer Section & Galactic Attack S-Tribute - Game & Product Info │ S-Tribute x TAITO Official Site

S-Tribute x TAITO series : Layer Section & Galactic Attack S-Tribute to be released on April 28. 2022 on Nintendo Switch and PlayStation 4.

Agent Unknown

Oct 26, 2017
Here is video someone posted of Layer Section dropping audio intermittently. $30 for this? Yeah, will just stick with my Saturn copy, really tired of this shoddy output from City Connection:

Last edited:

Agent Unknown

Oct 26, 2017
So I downloaded the Switch demo for Layer Section, the input lag isn't too bad so far but it's definitely noticeable (please bear in mind I'm not great at noticing input lag levels, usually it has to be really bad like Mega Man Legacy Collection). There is only one scanline option but it's a nice, even effect for what it is. I didn't experience any audio glitches like that post above but the demo only features the first area and boss.

Here are a few complaints which will keep me from buying this: I play shmups on my Switch in TATE mode whenever I can. So after playing it briefly in TV mode I set up my Hori stand. I tried using my left joy con in "NES" orientation which I prefer when playing shmups in TATE/tabletop mode, the game won't let you do that, you have to either use both your Joycons in dual mode or use a Pro Controller. I also have a Flip Grip but it'd be nice to have full controller options when choosing table top mode.

Now the worst part in regards to this. The game's screen display menu only has two display options, "Normal" or "Large." Normal is far too small for TATE obviously so I changed to "Large" and the display is still far too small and takes up the very center of the screen. Most other vertical arcade shmup ports on Switch which offer TATE (for example Livewire's Cave ports or Hamster's many vertical arcade titles) will also allow you adjust and expand the vertical/horizontal size percentage when the screen is flipped while still maintaining the games proper aspect without stretching it (this still means you get some black bars on the top and bottom but that can't be helped due to the Switch's 16:9 ratio and at least with the aforementioned additional display settings you can still get a lot more viewing real estate which is really nice and the entire point of TATE to begin with). Meanwhile, this is what you get from City Connection, the "Large" display option in TATE mode:

IMG_6604.jpg

So…..what is the point of bothering to play this game outside of TV mode? Unless there are extra display customization options in the "Extra Option" menu? But that menu isn't available in the demo so no idea unless someone who owns the full game can further confirm.

Last edited:

Noisepurge

Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 25, 2017
So I downloaded the Switch demo for Layer Section, the input lag isn't too bad so far but it's definitely noticeable (please bear in mind I'm not great at noticing input lag levels, usually it has to be really bad like Mega Man Legacy Collection). There is only one scanline option but it's a nice, even effect for what it is. I didn't experience any audio glitches like that post above but the demo only features the first area and boss.

Here are a few complaints which will keep me from buying this: I play shmups on my Switch in TATE mode whenever I can. So after playing it briefly in TV mode I set up my Hori stand. I tried using my left joy con in "NES" orientation which I prefer when playing shmups in TATE/tabletop mode, the game won't let you do that, you have to either use both your Joycons in dual mode or use a Pro Controller. I also have a Flip Grip but it'd be nice to have full controller options when choosing table top mode.

Now the worst part in regards to this. The game's screen display menu only has two display options, "Normal" or "Large." Normal is far too small for TATE obviously so I changed to "Large" and the display is still far too small and takes up the very center of the screen. Most other vertical arcade shmup ports on Switch which offer TATE (for example Livewire's Cave ports or Hamster's many vertical arcade titles) will also allow you adjust and expand the vertical/horizontal size percentage when the screen is flipped while still maintaining the games proper aspect without stretching it (this still means you get some black bars on the top and bottom but that can't be helped due to the Switch's 16:9 ratio and at least with the aforementioned additional display settings you can still get a lot more viewing real estate which is really nice and the entire point of TATE to begin with). Meanwhile, this is what you get from City Connection, the "Large" display option in TATE mode:

IMG_6604.jpg

So…..what is the point of bothering to play this game outside of TV mode? Unless there are extra display customization options in the "Extra Option" menu? But that menu isn't available in the demo so no idea unless someone who owns the full game can further confirm.

Arcade mode has more of a vertical screen size. If you play the "consumer" mode it's more made to just fit a 4:3 tv screen in landscape.

OnanieBomb

Oct 25, 2017
I think I'm gonna get the electric underground t to support the channel. Not a fan of all his content or viewpoints, but he's the best shmup channel going and just an endless resource of knowledge.

I decided it's time to finally get into Darius so I got the arcade collection on switch. Between the 3 screen viewpoint and the most insane extreme rumble I've ever experienced, it's comically unplayable on portable.

I feel like having a 65" tv is going to pay dividends on this triple ultra widescreen madness and I hope the subwoofer woofs like a god damn Sunn O))) performance

Agent Unknown

Oct 26, 2017
Arcade mode has more of a vertical screen size. If you play the "consumer" mode it's more made to just fit a 4:3 tv screen in landscape.

Thanks, I adjusted it and now TATE looks proper:

IMG_6608.jpg

Has anyone here run into the audio glitch on the Switch version? Even though I have it on Saturn I might actually get it now since it's on sale just to have a copy to play when I'm traveling. I also currently have about $3.50 worth of Gold points in my eShop account which would cut down the price even more.

Last edited:

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I just tried the Layer Section demo and was gonna guess six frames of input lag. Looks like I was right. What a shame.